Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/145.2/145.2

Height: 5' 4"

Default Beginning Runner!

Hi all,

I just recently took up running, and for the first time in my life, I think I have found an exercise that I can not only tolerate, but love. I have been overweight most of my life, and I just recently lost 85 pounds on the Ideal Protein diet (boards for that over here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/ ) and the sheer simple joy of being ABLE to run, even in short bursts, is incredible. Exhilarating. Fierce.

I've just started Couch to 5K. I'm not actually quite able to keep up with week one yet, but I got through the first week walking through some of the jogging intervals, and I can feel myself improving. I'm planning to repeat week one, and I think I should be able to do it properly by the end of the week, and move on to week two.

Many people are trying to discourage me from taking up running, for fear that I'll injure myself. I have a history of bad knees, which has mostly gone away since I lost weight. I have decent sneakers, I know not to run every day, at least at first, and I'm a pro at staying hydrated. I'm going to read through the Running sticky when I have time (it's VERY long but looks like it has some good info). I'm alternating it with a workout DVD and mixing in some basic abs and arms weight training as close to every day as I can manage.

In the meanwhile, anyone have any advice for a runner just starting out? I'm a sheer novice, but very excited about getting started!

-Lisa
Lisaf373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #2  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Hi there! Not sure if I can give you any advice since I am quite new to running. But if you want to talk to some C25k runners look at this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...-who-else.html
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I'm a beginning runner too, so not fit to really dispense advice, but I will say this: listen to your body. Beyond that, have fun!
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #4  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

I totally get what you mean about loving the feeling of just being able to run! When I first started, I kind of hated it while I was doing it, but felt so powerful afterwards; I kept coming back to it to hang on that that feeling. While I might not be a beginning runner, I still consider myself kind of a novice because I don't really know what I'm doing . I did just run my first 1/2 marathon, though.

My biggest piece of advice: just keep going. As silly and simple as that sounds, it's all you can do. If you need to take a walking break, do it. Just promise yourself you'll run another lap afterwards. I like to end my runs with a kick, just to prove to myself that when I think I'm completely exhausted, I have something left to give. I started out by promising myself that at the point where I felt like I absolutely had to stop, I'd run for another 30 seconds, then the next week another minute, then the next week another 1/2 mile, etc. Now, I always end my runs with sprints. It's such a mental game for me. The hardest part was working my mileage up to that 5K distance. It took me a couple of months to get there, but there'll be no stopping you after that. From a 5K distance, it only took me a month (of diligent training) to be running 7 miles, 8 miles at a time. If you put in the work, you can do anything you want!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #5  

Most reputable running coaches recommend that to avoid injury, you not increase your overall distance by more than 10% a week. (And in that week, your long run should be no more than half your total mileage.)

That apparently you've built distance incredibly fast and I'm assuming without injury is great and lucky for you, but I think it's kind of irresponsible to put your personal lucky progress out there as something everyone can and should aspire to.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

im a beginner runner myself!!!
i have been told that its all in your mind, so YOU MUST STAY STRONG!! i keep telling myself that i can do it!!
i was also told that you should tell yourself that you love it and that it makes you happy... or give yourself some kind of motivation... i really like bags (lol) so i tell myself that i just need to make it to <insert goal> ie end of the block, then i would be able to see my holy grail bag! (white chanel lol). it has kept me going even tho in my head i know it wont happen.

OH! and BREATHING is very important. this girl at work who runs marathon told me that you should breath in deep like from your back and exhale out deep as well like you're sticking out your stomach. the last time i tried it, i felt that my run was a lot better!

Good luck!!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

Shoes! It's all about the shoes. At least for me it was. I've had a lot of knee problems, and while I still run with a brace to be safe, the pain has mostly gone away now that I'm wearing proper running shoes. If I try to increase my mileage too quickly, I can feel it a little, but I know that means it's time to ease up a bit.

Seriously, good running shoes are the best investment I ever made. Mizuno has a pretty cool foot/shoe analysis thing on their website which will tell you if you should be looking for stability or support, etc.

Beyond that, like others have said, just listen to your body. 10% per week is the general rule, but you'll know if you're pushing it too hard.

Good luck with C25k!
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I'm new as well but I have been doing c25k for a week now. I made it through week 1 just fine, but week 2 is killing me!!! lol!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #9  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Oh gosh... not saying it's smart to go out and try to run that much right away. I was training for a half marathon and followed a training schedule I found in Runners World and that worked for me. Regardless of the length of time it takes to get there, I'm just saying that if you put in the work you can see whatever results you can dream up .
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #10  

Ah, gotcha, Tuende.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote