Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #1  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

Default Work out till u puke? Really?!?!?!?!

Hey guys! I always get this daily email since im team captain of the healthy living challenge. I was reading through today's email and it brought out something I had been wondering about. I always watch these weight loss shows and see how these people work out to the point that they puke. I mean, is that really necessary? Are they trying to portray the fact that you cant get a good workout in unless you hurl? I just dont think it is very safe in my opinion. Let me know what you think guys!

http://community.fitnessmagazine.com...ail=3244296312
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I went on a 6.5 hour hike on a very snowy mountain. There was one point where I thought I was going to puke.

Runner's get "runner's trots" which is your body ridding it self of stuff by the other end.

I don't judge my work-outs or weight loss based on The Biggest Loser, any more than I base my dating life on The Bachelor or Millionaire Matchmaker.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Go to a normal every day gym to get a reality snapshot. Nobody is puking.

What happens on TV is just crazy TV stuff. Drama sells the show, so you get a lot of crazy drama that does not apply in real life.

"Reality" shows are anything but real.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #4  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

I agree. I kno the weight loss process is challenging but these "reality" shows make it seem far worse than what it really is. Thats why nobody wants lose weight the healthy way. All you see are people barely eating anything, and then working out so hard they vomit!
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Working out to the point that you puke seriously sucks. I've threw up twice while working out in last year and both times were because I wasn't paying attention to what I was eating prior to the work out (too long between meals so my blood sugar plummeted) and I wasn't paying attention to my heart rate. It was not a pleasant experience and my body did not react well to it. Not sure why anyone would purposefully do it.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #6  
One Day At A Time

Height: 5.6

I have almost done it... it was part of my... exercise bulimia or exercise addiction. Usually when you do something too much and you can't stop even if its hurts it is because you are addicted to it, which i was. When I was doing it, it was sit ups after binge eating... it was like a punishment for the eating and exercising the calories was my way of bulimia.

I have a lot more respect for myself now as i am recovering and don't do this any more. But it is possible... is it necessary, absolutely not... is it mentally ill... absolutely yes. Be moderate and be happy!
hope for recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #7  
Happily losing weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I don't judge my work-outs or weight loss based on The Biggest Loser, any more than I base my dating life on The Bachelor or Millionaire Matchmaker.
Precisely.

Is it necessary to work out until you throw up? Of course not.. That kind of a work-out is extreme, which means it's not only unnecessary in most cases but also unsustainable, unrealistic, and probably unhealthy. Most people do not need to - and should not - work out to that degree regularly.

It's important to remember that those shows are first and foremost TV shows - shows created for profit and entertainment value. There is a plethora of resources on healthy living that are easily available - TBL and "reality" TV isn't one of them.

Last edited by changingme2011; 02-21-2011 at 03:15 PM.
changingme2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #8  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

i definitly remember running and having everything leave the other end..but i dont consider that to be extreme.. i just consider that a side effect that naturally occurs when you move around..its good for the bowels..they tell people who are constipated to get moving to help them out..but the puking thing..a little extreme..although my friend was an idiot and ate 2 hot dogs before having to do her cross country run..yah.. she was puking like crazy during.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
Ahahahaha awesome.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/Ticker/125

Height: 5'6"

I have been Close numerous times.... Causes: Eating to much right before a Vigorous workout. Not eating enough before a workout. and Not Drinking enough during or after a workout.
Izzadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

The only time I come close to puking is when I do ab work, and frankly that one makes sense to me. And it's not puking, it's more like I'm squeezing all the acid out of my stomach. It's not a feeling I like.

I work out hard, but never to the point of puking. Ludicrous.

My biggest beef is that it makes people think if you're not pushing yourself to the point of puking then you can't lose weight.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

Height: 5'9"

I also picked up on that. That seems to be a lot too soon. I never worked out to the point where I get sick. But I get a good work out. That sounds crazy. That's like working beyond a sprain ankle. Not healthy
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

The only time I've ever felt close to throwing up was when the room was way too hot (A/C not working) and I walked out into the really cold hallway - the rapid change in temperature immediately made me nauseous. Other than that? No - and I work out hard.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #14  
Krissi

S/C/G: 240/174/145

Height: 5'8''

I've worked out until I've thrown up twice, once when I worked out too hard too soon after eating and once when it was really hot out. I would never push myself that hard and I don't really see any reason to. I can get in a good long workout without making myself vomit.
theskinnychickinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

One evening, at spin class, after a day at the office where I drank a lot of coffee late in the afternoon, I had a bit of acid reflux. Just a faint burning sensation, way down in my chest. (Nothing was actually going anywhere.)

Years ago, under circumstances similar to what Hope for Recovery described, I did start puking in the middle of a trail after running hard, but this was because I was crying so hard & so upset after bingeing that I started choking on tears & snot & then ended up vomiting.

Thank goodness, I'm not in that place anymore.

But we're talking about TV land. Where these shows are getting so common, they're now a genre onto themselves. At this point, on the fat-people-losing-weight reality shows, when one of the contestants or main characters throws up during an exercise session, it's kind of a cliche. It's usually in their very first session or an early session. It's almost ritualistic: Look, the fat person is atoning & is literally being purged of his or her evil, slothful, gluttonous ways. The person is cleansing himself/herself of toxins, back out of the stomach up through the mouth, which is exactly the same way they got in there to begin with. Exercise will make them pure & strong & healthy. The righteous wrath of the trainer praying with them ... er, ah, I mean, encouraging them & being supportive ... will cast out all that devil fat. Amen, sister. Scourge yourself some more on that treadmill.

Last edited by saef; 02-22-2011 at 02:49 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote