Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #1  

Question Hiring a Personal Trainer? Good/Bad Idea?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I thought I'd post a question. My university offers personal training at a significantly reduced rate and I'm thinking about buying a package as a "20lb lost" reward (7.7 pounds from now). The only thing is, I'm still heavy, and I have this image in my head that personal trainers are for the extra-fit, body building types. Any thoughts on this? Or has anyone ever tried a personal trainer?
Luna1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #2  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I absolutely love my personal trainer. I was really apprehensive about working out with one (I was 250 pounds), but thought that if I really wanted to do it right this time, I needed help. So, I sucked it up and signed up. My first trainer left something to be desired (so don't feel that you have to stay with the same trainer if you aren't "meshing"), but now I work out with a great guy who is extra fit and was a body builder, but he also motivates me and is super nice - not arrogant, like he's God's gift.

If you get a discount on training sessions, I would highly recommend it. My trainer makes me do exercises that I need to do, rather than me working on my own and doing exercises I don't mind doing. My trainer has worked with me for 6 months and I've lost almost 50 pounds with him and over 25 inches. (He helps with the exercise but also my nutrition).

I just say to find a trainer that works best for you - make sure that they are on the same page as you are as far as your goals.

Good luck, and if you have any questions about PT in the future, let me know!
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #3  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

Just make sure you're getting what you want out of a personal trainer!

My first trainer kept bullying me into just doing cardio when I do that on my own and needed help putting together a lifting program. Needless to say, I let him overwhelm me and paid for 6 sessions of running on the treadmill because I was too intimidated by crazy fit guy to state my mind.

But I've learned and every other time I've worked with a trainer it's been an amazing experience.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I think as long as you have a decent trainer who listens to you, having one is great! I have a lot of exercise knowledge, but having someone to push you and shake things up with new ideas is a blast. I'm about to start a 6 session package just for that. Then I'll go back to being on my own for a year or two.

But interview the trainer first and maybe if you can try and workout while they are training another client. I echo Jilu. I had a trainer last year who kept doing cardio with me even though I was already running 50 miles a week. Ummmmm no.

And dont let them waste TOO much time on metrics. First appointment ok, but my useless one wanted to weigh and measure me every week. A) I was not there for weight-loss, I was there to lift heavy. B) I have a scale, and omron and a tape measure at home...dont need to pay you to measure me.

I spoke up several times and when I had to fight AGAIN I found a different trainer.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Suck it up, get a trainer you mesh with, have fun, and take advantage of your discount
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #6  

Sweet. Thanks, everyone! MaddiesMom, how many days a week should I train for?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #7  

I train with mine twice a week for an hour at a time. I think most people do twice a week, but you might also ask your trainer what he/she recommends based on your goals.
ali g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

I've used trainers off and on and I think it's a great idea, especially if it's affordable. Like many other people have said though, it's likely a waste of time to pay someone to watch you do cardio. Do it before or after your session. What a trainer is very good for is teaching you proper form and helping you come up with a workout routine -- and understanding what sort of exercises affect which body parts. I had one for awhile with whom I checked in daily on my weight -- that was really helpful. Knowing that I could call her every day and she's genuinely celebrate my victories kept me on track.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #9  

I think the main reason it to prove to myself that I'm serious this time. That I'm going to take the necessary steps to reach my goal, instead of just half-a**ing it and expecting to see dramatic results. I also need someone to help motivate and push me. I must say, I don't think I'm comfortable working out with a guy. I'd rather work with a woman.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW-226 219/212.5/145

Height: 5'7

Most gyms let you consult with the trainer before you "hire" them. At my gym they do like a little fitness evaluation, weigh you and measure you and let you know what they would be able to help you with. Don't be afraid to get a personal trainer because you're heavy, their job is to help you achieve the body you want. Trainers are good because they can push you harder than you would push yourself. My advice would to give it a shot especially since you have such a great discount. Good luck!!
Linnerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #11  

Thanks, Linnerz!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Good news, you are wrong that trainers are for the already fit Most (and I mean 90+%) of clients are just average people looking to lose some weight and improve their health. You ARE the target client! I had a male trainer... he was great. Go by your instinct and not by their gender! Does your university offer it because the trainers are kinesiology students?

Body builders, etc. have their own niche of trainers (usually done online), don't worry about those.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #13  

Sacha, you're right, I shouldn't be so discriminatory. Equal rights, I suppose.

And yes, the trainers at my university are Exercise Science, Physical Education or other such fitness-based program majors. Some of them are graduate level, others are undergraduate.

Body builders have online personal trainers? Didn't know that.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1982 View Post
Sacha, you're right, I shouldn't be so discriminatory. Equal rights, I suppose.

And yes, the trainers at my university are Exercise Science, Physical Education or other such fitness-based program majors. Some of them are graduate level, others are undergraduate.

Body builders have online personal trainers? Didn't know that.
If they are students, maybe you can send an email to a prof in that department asking for a student recommendation, let them know what kind of personality you want for a PT and they might be able to steer you to someone in particular.

Yeah, body builders (and figure, and bikini) often have multiple trainers. Diets and workouts done online (they are experienced enough to not require in-person), and posing coaches are usually in person. Some have all in person, some have none. It's a whole different world!! I like Cathy Savage http://www.cathysavagefitness.com/ but that is also online (not just for body building), not sure if that's the sort of thing that interests you

Last edited by sacha; 06-24-2010 at 01:00 AM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #15  

S/C/G: ---/---/120

Height: 5'2

I recommend it greatly!

If you connect well with them they can help tremendously with keeping you motivated.
JustImagine is offline   Reply With Quote