Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #91  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

i usually walk for 5-10 minutes before i run...

So, im done with the 20 miler guys. I am alive. I need to compose my thoguths before i post anything really indepth about the experience, but i will tell you it was the harderst thing i have ever done.... I prepared for the physical aspect of it as well as i could, however, i had know way of knowing (or preparing for) the MENTAL aspect of running 20 miles... Miles 17-20 were very fuzzy, and punchy......I was definitely starting to lose it, ie; go crazy...and i mean that literally, not figuratively...apparently wheni crossed the finish line i was not coherent enough to stop running, and i guess i was shaking and crying and couldnt tell them where i was...i dont remember.....anyway, like i said, i need to compose my thought5s about thie whole experience...hope everyone had good runs this weekend!!! Oh, and it didnt help that it was in the 90s during the run...heat stroke??
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

wow, 20 miles! Thats amazing!
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

So Yesterday was a rest day and I am back at it again today. Today will be a long before I ever get to run so I don't have a definite plan for today yet....tempo run??? IDK Have a good day everyone!

Lizzy - I walk for 5-10 minutes for my warm up

MK - WOW!!!! Amazing. Congratulations!!
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #94  
Tellin' it like it is!

hey guys,
dont know if this will work or not, but here is a link to a picture taken of me yesterday during my 20 mile race...the pic was taken at mile 19.5...... Dont know if it QUITE does justice to the agony and anguish i was in I can laugh about it now, but seriously, i am crying in the picture and look quite deranged...very truly captures what was going on in my body and in my head.....
http://rmrr.org/Gallery/index.php?al...S_Aug23_20.JPG
Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #95  
Tellin' it like it is!

FYI-the pic is PG-13..youll see why
Old 08-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

Hey Ladies!

So I just wanted to share my weekend experience with everyone. A bit of history:

I have always HATED running, but decided this spring that I was going to run a half marathon in October. So I started C25K in April, and when I finished that, started a beginner HM plan. As part of my plan, I signed up for a 10km race - my first race EVER - Aug 23 (yesterday).

So, I went to my race yesterday, totally nervous and not knowing what to expect, as I have never been in a race before. It was a 5km and a 10km run, and there were only about 20 people doing the 10km. Well, turned out, they were all HARDCORE runners - they all knew each other from this marathon and that triathalon, blah, blah, blah...

Ok, well maybe not ALL, but it seemed that way.

So, the story basically is that I SUCKED! I was SOOOO tired, and was hurting one mile in! I think I may not have fueled properly for the race, plus it was a 9;30am run and I usually run at night...

Anyway, I was super frustrated as I fell to the back of the pack right away, and stayed there the whole race. I was the last to cross the finish line, and ended with a 65 minute run...

The time is slow, but it is on par with my training, so I don't know - in one sense I'm psyched that I finished, on the other hand I'm disheartened and embarrassed that I was LAST! One guy ran it in 32 minutes!!!!!

Anyhow, just wanted to share and see if anyone had any words of wisdom fro me!

Thanks all!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Mk - WOW! I'm completely in awe of your strength and dedication. Seriously, it's amazing. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to run 20 miles so I'm not at all surprised by your body's emotional response. But you did it! And now you get to brag your butt off!

Cake - Good luck getting in a run after your long day!

Lizzy - I only walk for about a minute and then go straight into running. Not sure if that's the best way but I usually don't have time for a longer warm up when I run in the mornings before school.

Skinny - First off, congratulations on completing your first race!!!! That's a great accomplishment! I don't really have any wise words of wisdom as I haven't done my first race yet, but I do want to say that you should be so proud of yourself and never compare yourself to other people! I know that's easier said than done, but look how far you've come! Those people have probably been running for years, so you have to look at your own progress and be so thrilled that you've made it this far and are working your way up to a half marathon! 65 minutes is great for a 10K, so don't let that get you down! Do something nice for yourself to celebrate this achievement and keep up with your training! Congrats!

As for me, I'm taking this week a little easier to give my body some recovery time. It's been feeling a little funky lately, so I think I'm cutting out the 6 mile run and just doing 3-4.5 miles. Do you guys ever do this? Take a week to back off? I know there's "tapering" before a race, but can you taper for a week in the middle of training?
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #98  
Tellin' it like it is!

TakingCharge-- They are called "step back" or "recovery" weeks! and YES!! they are absolutely neccessary!! Keep you from injuring yourself, and burning out as well....it generally follows a 3 or 4 week cycle.....2-3 weeks INCREASING mileage, then a step back week, where you drastically reduce mileage.....For Instance my 20 mile long run is followed by only a 13 miler the next weekend......with the midweek runs also a little shorter mileage wise, such as 5-6 miles instead of 7-8 miles......

Skinneywish--CONGRATS!!!!! 65 minutes for your first ever 10k is a GREAT TIME!!!!!!! WHo cares whateveryone else ran?? I came in 3rd from last at my race this weekend! No big deal....I want to know how you FELT during the race.....not how you felt about how everyone else was doing? mayhaps you should register for a much larger race.......where there will be all types of runners!!!! Dont down play your awesome achievment based on what others can do!! this is abot what YOU can do, and you DID IT!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 210/199/125

MK- Holy moley girl! Can I tack that picture up on my inspiration board? I so want to get to the point where I can grimace because I just ran 20 miles. That is just awesome!

Skinny- Congrats on the race! To have a 10k be your first race is hardcore! And who cares if the other runners were race vets and knew each other- you are kickass!

Cake- Good luck! Have a fantastic run!

Lizzy- I'm on the C25K, and I get to start with a nice lengthy 5 minute warm up. I start kind of slow (I"m slow in general) and slowly pick it up until I'm running. I call it running, but I kind of shuffle as I go. In fact, my hubby can walk faster than I run.

This weekend I didn't do any running. Saturday we spent all day car shopping, and found a good preowned Cavalier coupe to replace the Eclipse that died on us. Sunday was kind of a lazy day, with nothing but housework and preparing for the work week, and now school since the first day is tomorrow. I didn't run this morning, so this week will be Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, complimented with the Slim in 6 series. Since I haven't run since Friday, should I move on to Week 2 of the C25K, or should I repeat Week 1? I can't find any negatives to repeating it.

Last edited by Smee; 08-24-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #100  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

MK - nice job on the 20-miler!! It must feel great to have that under your belt. And haha I don't remember it being that cold on Saturday? LOL!

TC - I didn't know there was an actual training plan for it but sometimes I'm just overly tired or my allergies are bothering me, etc and I just overall feel worn out..that's when I take a step back and do shorter runs or just rest for a few days to let my body catch up. It's hard for me not to run, but I think it's worth it in the long run in order to keep our bodies healthy and making progress!

skinnywish - congratulations on your first race!! 65 minutes is a fantastic time for a 10k!! Now you have something to work on/towards for your next race. I hear you about the folks that finish 10ks in a ridiculous amount of time... but I think it's important just to be competitive with yourself, you know?

Smee -with C25k, I think the key is to just move forward when you're comfortable. I know I had problems with keeping up with some of the weeks because I didn't feel ready to move on, so I would repeat a week if I thought it was necessary.

Well here is my plan for the week: I ran 3 miles yesterday, long run of 5.5 miles is on Wednesday, and then probably another 3 miles twice more this week. I'm really bored/itching to run on my rest days but I know as I increase my mileage it's essential for me to rest the day before my long runs. So I bit the bullet and ordered "New Rules of Lifting for Women" that everyone in the weight lifting forum recommends... I think this will not only help reduce my body fat but it'll be great for toning and building muscle otherwise. Plus it'll give me something to do on my days off!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #101  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

hey all!

thanks for the kind words! i am starting to feel better about the run, like "dang, i couldn't run 2 minutes 4 months ago and i just ran a 10km race!".

everyone here is an inspiration and the advice is greatly appreciated!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 231/213/160

Height: 5'7"

New to the group and not nearly as advanced! I am in week five of the couch25K program. I am doing well, running 25 minutes 5 days per week and building up stamina. I am trying to be patient. I am really having fun and don't want to push myself so hard that it becomes something to dread. I have gone from a size 16 to a 12 in five weeks. The inches are flying off, but the scale is going down at a snails pace. Oh well. I guess with time....

This is a great place to meet fellow runners. I have never run before this in my life...never thought I could. It is the best feeling ever! I wish I had started sooner, but here I am.
kymccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #103  

Default Have A New Problem

I knew I had a problem before, I just didn't think it was so bad. When I run, I find it hard to keep in a straight line. I tend to move all over my half of the sidewalk (even more dangerous on the treadmill!), and today it bit me in the butt. I slipped over the side of the sidewalk and twisted up my ankle something fierce. There's no swelling right now, but I'm not taking any chances. I have it taped and elevated and iced, and although I was planning on running again tomorrow, I'm thinking it's a mandatory rest day. Any ideas on how to stay in semi-straight?

And when you run, do you hit with the middle-to-ball of the foot, or heel-to-toe? When I run slow or do my cool-down jog, I'm on the balls of my feet almost, but when I'm really concentrating on my run, I'm heel-to-toe.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

MK - WOW!!! I'm so impressed with your running 20 miles - what a huge accomplishment! All hail to the running goddess!!

Skinny - Totally agree with the others - what a great accomplishment! You should be very proud of yourself!!

Fatpants - good for you on the strength training plans - curious to hear how it goes!

Kymccc - welcome! Sounds like you are doing great!

Smee - Ouch! Sorry to hear about your ankle! I run on dirt paths mostly and I think it helps with ankle stability (and is more gentle on your joints in general) - you might find that a bit helpful.

So, this is minor for you distance runners but I just went from 4 miles to 5 today which is the longest I've run in 18yrs or so so I'm pretty psyched! I'm shooting for 6 miles eventually but I don't think I'll try to go any further than that as I've had pretty serious shin splint problems in the past at higher mileages and I just want to be able to keep running relatively pain free : )

Happy running, all!
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #105  

Thanks, Dancer. I'll try that. And yay to the 5-miler!