Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #16  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I have to second what Barbara said. I have always had VERY red face after exercise, even decades before I actually developed high blood pressure. WHen I was 16, I played basketball twice a week and you should have seen me after each practice! Beet red and totally drenched. I am very fair-skinned. I noticed that typically the girls with a bit darker skin (and I don't mean non-Caucasians; I lived in Europe at that time and there was nobody of a different race on our team - I just mean girls who get easily tanned etc.) typically did not get red at all (although one did). I do think it is more pronounced in fair skin people. When I blush, you certainly DO notice because it is more visible than on other people.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #17  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

I agree with Barbara that clothing choice makes a HUGE difference! I bought those shirts that are supposed to wick (is that the right word?) sweat away from your body. At first I bought on the in womens section, and I am used to a nice big comfy tshirt to work out in. The womens version was too tapered and short for my liking. So I bought on in the mens section, and it was a little longer and did the same job! I even bought one for non-working out days, when it is super hot here and I have to be outside! At least I don't show that I am sweating my butt off! he he
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I'm another whose face is red when I finish exercise and my neck is almost purple. This has just started happening in the last 3-4 years. I do have high blood pressure but the meds I'm on for it keeps it at a good number.Wet hair, sweat stains, been there, done that.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 220/206/150

Height: 5'6

Everyone in my family turns beet red when we exercise. 23 years ago I was a young cadet in the police academy. During our daily 1.5 mile run, they stopped me and took my blood pressure because they thought I was going to have a heart attack or a stroke. I tried to tell them it was just how I was made, but they didn't believe me, until they saw my numbers.

I have learned to love my red face and sweat drenched t-shirt....means I'm working hard
danemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 185/140/120

Height: 5ft 4"

If I run at night I don't get very red because it is cool, if I run when it is bright out I get very red. If I work out at the gym I get really really red, I live in a hot country and there is no air conditioning at the gym. If my face isn't red after a gym session I don't feel I have worked hard enough and I will get back on the treadmill and do sprints. I honestly go and check myself to make sure I am red. When I was young it used to embarrass me now I seek it out.
dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 186/158/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm a member of the red faced club as well. I'm naturally fair and have a touch of rosacia. I also get flushed when I'm warm or even if I've had one little drink.
colebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #22  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I'm 24 years old and I don't have blood pressure problems or any other health problem that I'm aware of (aside from being overweight), and my face turns red as a beet when I workout hard. This has always happened to me when I was really exercising with intensity and I really don't think it's anything to worry about. I think it's a matter of where and how much you sweat and show exertion -- face gets so red, but I sweat only very minimally, whereas a friend of mine doesn't turn red, but sweats buckets during exercise.

ETA: I don't naturally have a 'rosey' complexion, however. If I'm warm or only slightly exerting myself, my face doesn't go red; it's only when I'm moving at maximum capacity.

Last edited by KLK; 07-22-2008 at 03:09 PM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

I too get pretty red, especially after a more than 2-mile walk. I sweat around the head, neck and throat
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #24  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

When you work out, your body produces heat. One way that your body makes sure it doesn't overheat is by sweating, of course, but your body also increases blood circulation to the skin's surfaces, so the heat can be radiated off (smart bod). Warm, oxygenated blood rushes to your face, turning it that bright red color. It's receiving lots of healthy blood, bringing nutrients to your skin and carrying away toxins. Some people just show it more than others.

If you are noticing other symptoms besides a red face, like dizziness, fatigue, or nausea, you may be in danger of becoming overheated. To help your body stay cool, wear clothes that breathe easily, like cotton. Also make sure to keep yourself hydrated.
krjpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 221.8/221.8/160

Height: 5'3

My face is always red when I workout. I hate it!
scarahjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #26  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

No big deal as long as you feel fine. People at my gym say the same thing to me all the time. I just ignore them because they are so jealous (just kidding).
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote