Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

Renee, I just wanted to pop in and say great race. I think 10K is the most brutal distance! The longer runs are at a much more civilized pace and a 5K hurts for so much less time. I've never been more sore than after a 10K, and even my marathon was less painful. I'm so proud of you!

Hi everyone! Literally dreaming of running these days. Back with you about August.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #17  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Anne, wonderful to see you! How are you feeling?? Glad you're dreaming of running - last night I dreamed that I was shoveling chocolate bars (secretly, so no one could see me! ) into my mouth, and I woke up SO mad at myself... until I realised I'd been dreaming!! Freaky!

Off for a run!

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 02-04-2008 at 05:38 PM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #18  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Day 1 of c25k DONE! My quads are freaking killing me lol! I just ate a banana to try and help with the cramps. I did .5 mile of laps in the pool too and I tell ya, the treadmill was the easy part! OMG! I think the laps are harder because I have asthma, but hopefully I can build up to a complete mile. All and all feel proud and pretty good. it was a struggle doing both and I just kept saying to myself, YOU CAN DO THIS! and I did!

I do have a question though.... I am obviously doing the c25k on the treadmill. How many of you have done or are doing that? and can you please tell me what is a good speed for a beginner to go? I was doing 3.0 and at first it felt to fast but once I got used to it I felt like I could have went faster.

Last edited by Diva; 02-04-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

DIVA! Yay, I'm so happy to see you here! Congrats on getting through the first day! And the extra lap in the pool, you are good! My best friend did C25k on the treadmill and I think she started out at 4.0 and now can go up to 5.0. About the asthma, I read a running blog where a guy got his wife who has astham a tshirt to wear in races that read "Kiss my Asthma". Pretty funny.

Anne, thanks for the encouraging words, I appreciate them

I did 2 miles today with hills and the stroller. Very windy today, but in the 70s! I guess "winter" is about over for us
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #20  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I did a 4 mile race yesterday. Let me preface this by saying that my fastest mile split in ANY race ever (including 5ks) is 8:23, and that happened exactly once. I'm usually around 9/9:30. My splits for the four mile were 9:31 (when I was bobbing and weaving around the masses at the start), 7:46, 7:14, 7:30! OH MY GOODNESS I CAN'T BELIEVE I RAN THAT FAST!!! I felt totally fine too - not like I was going to die. It looks like the half-marathon training has paid off, and is teaching me to run faster at shorter distances!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

It looks like everyone's doing really great!! I'm with Anne -- I miss running! I feel like a slug. I know I have a good reason to stop running right now, but I do long to get back to it. It's weird to imagine not running all summer, but I'll be HUGE this summer, since I'm due August 1!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #22  
Heather 2.0

Lisa - are you walking? What are you instead of running? And you know why *I* ask!

Diva - welcome, and well done! One day done I'd say anywhere from 3-4mph should give you quite a good workout to start - you'll feel it when it's time to speed up

Laura - you speed demon, you!! That's awesome!

Renee - There's a woman in my neighbourhood who runs with her stroller - I'm always in awe of her... she makes it look easy, but I have a hard enough time just 'pushing' myself! Way to go!

A quick 3.5 miles for me today - I was in a hurry, and we laughed pretty hard when hubby said to me later: "I can't believe you now consider 5K+ a 'quick run'!!!" hahaha - I feel INVINCIBLE! just kidding.

Heather

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 02-04-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #23  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedaRenee View Post
DIVA! Yay, I'm so happy to see you here! Congrats on getting through the first day! And the extra lap in the pool, you are good! My best friend did C25k on the treadmill and I think she started out at 4.0 and now can go up to 5.0. About the asthma, I read a running blog where a guy got his wife who has astham a tshirt to wear in races that read "Kiss my Asthma". Pretty funny.

Anne, thanks for the encouraging words, I appreciate them

I did 2 miles today with hills and the stroller. Very windy today, but in the 70s! I guess "winter" is about over for us
Oh my goodness! {{{{{Leeda Ray}}}}}}}}}}} It's so good to see you gf! how have you been? I miss you in the BL challenge this time around! What'cha up to????
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #24  

Laura, oh my gosh, you ARE fast!! Good going!!

Lisa, sorry you can't run, but the little one will be well worth it

Heather, you ARE invicible!! See how far you have come? Woot!
I have to tell you that I HATE the stroller. I only do it because I have no choice. I will love it when he is old enough to ride his bike or something beside me while I run. But by then there will probably be another little Renee running around, so I'll still have the stroller lol. I do like taking walks with the stroller, though.

Diva, I just ran a 10k. My race report is on the prior page. I miss you guys a lot and peek in to see how ya'll are doing every now and then.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #25  
Heather 2.0

A horrible 2.8 miles for me outside today, with hills. I was aiming for 5K, but got really nasty cramps (tummy) and had to walk the last .5KM. Yuck. Still, better than nothing.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #26  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I did a horrible hill session this morning. I was meant to be running last night but was wiped out from the weekend (tired rather than hungover or ill) and couldn't face it, so I got up extra early. it was hard, but hopefully it will do some good!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #27  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Laura - that is BLAZING fast lady! I cant even fathom that fast for that distance.

Weather is back to 40 and rainy, what a relief!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #28  

I did 3 miles today with the stroller.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #29  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I was going to chime in that I think 10K's are much harder than the other distances. If you have ever heard of the McMillan curve it is a formula that predicts your pace at different length races. Last year I was in a couple % of all distances from 5K to marathon....except the 10k. 5K's you just run all out until you peter out and then you are almost done. 1/2's you pace yourself. 10K's you have to run ALMOST all out but not quite for a LONG time.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I was going to chime in that I think 10K's are much harder than the other distances. If you have ever heard of the McMillan curve it is a formula that predicts your pace at different length races. Last year I was in a couple % of all distances from 5K to marathon....except the 10k. 5K's you just run all out until you peter out and then you are almost done. 1/2's you pace yourself. 10K's you have to run ALMOST all out but not quite for a LONG time.
I have to admit, that about 4 miles in I was thinking "Why did I want to do this?!" followed by "I'm never doing this again!"