Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #46  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Well done Laura, and welcome back cakses. Welcome Cheryl.

I was away for the weekend, but decided that was no excuse for skipping marathon training! I decided to travel down to London on Friday night so I could run on Saturday morning rather than spending Saturday morning travelling, even though that meant paying for an extra night at the hotel. It paid off, it was a glorious day and I ended up doing 18.75 miles (I'd been aiming for 16 but misjudged it slightly because I wasn't doing a route I was familiar with). Also, the schedule said 16 miles/2 hours 40, and I tried to go by time and did 2:45 and a bit. I know that means I'm running faster than it says, but I think it should be OK. Almost all my long runs at the moment get faster in the last few miles. I try to stick at about 9 minute miles, which is faster than my schedule says, but feels comfortable, and the last three or four tend to be about 8:40 - I'm working on the basis that if I'm feeling good enough to pick up the pace in the last few miles I'm not running too fast. yesterday I started picking it up at about mile 12 or 13, and the last few miles were 8:46, 8:43, 8:46, 8:40, 8:36, 8:36, 8:40, which isn't far off target marathon pace.

Today was a rest day to recover
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Cheryl, welcome...I just did times the whole time I did C25k. Welcome to the thread!

I did 6 miles today. It went well despite a crazy schnauzer that decided to come after me around mile 4.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #48  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Yikes Leeda! I hate when people leave their dogs out to chase people! grrrrr

I'll be restarting the c25k tomorrow. I ended up real sick last week, plus TOM arrived so it was bad, but I am feeling better now.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #49  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

I FEEL SO EMPOWERED RIGHT NOW!! I just ran for 20 straight minutes! I posted a few days ago here that I was scared about the next workout in the c25k - run for 20 minutes or 2 miles with no walking (that was the scary part for me). I asked about repeating workouts, and I'm so glad for all the positive responses I got about repeating workouts and just doing what you feel comfortable. I'm in week 5 right now, and workout 2 was 8 minutes run, 5 minutes walk, 8 minutes run. I didn't have any trouble with that but I was terrified about moving on to the next workout, 20 minutes/2 miles. I repeated the 8 min, 5 min, 8 min yesterday morning. It went fine, and I thought I might try and move on to the 20 minute run early next week. Well, today I bought a cute little purple ipod shuffle. I have a regular Ipod but it is really to cumbersome for running, and I find that I get bored with television sometimes while running and I wanted music, so I got a cute little shuffle, bought a few new songs on Itunes, and decided I really wanted to try it out with running. So after dinner tonight, off to the basement I went, and hopped on the treadmill. I told myself I would just go for as longas I needed and if that wasn't 20 minutes that was ok and I would just push myself next time. I was surprised when the first 10 minutes of running went by so fast. The next 5 minutes wasn't as fast, but it wasn't bad. I found I was really having to push myself the last 5 minutes of running, but I was so determined to get to that 20 minute mark so I just pushed through. It felt AWESOME when I was done!!!! Like, it really was a mountain I had just climbed. I really just can't believe that I was able to run for 20 straight minutes. When I started c25k in january I knew that I could probably run for 5-8 minutes, but never thought I would get to 20. I'm really excited to see what I can do in the future. I don't think I will ever be in a race, but just knowing that I can run for a prolonged period of time (longer than 5 minutes for me) makes me feel like a champion!

(I know this is a bit silly, but I have accomplished things during my weight loss over the past 10 months that I never thought I would and I keep surprising myself)
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #50  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Well done, Nova!! What speed did you set that treadmill at??
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #51  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi Cheryl! You are an exercise machine! Keep up the great work!

Laura, way to go finishing in that time with those winds! Good thing you didn't fall asleep on the subway!

Heather, you running fiend, you! Keep it up!

Happy birthday, Cat! Hope you had a nice day!

Renee, I hope your rest day was glorious!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #52  
Visualizing the Goal

Helen, can I say that you're my hero? I want to be you when I grow up!

VTfan, I forget your name. That runners' high is my favorite part of running. That and the stretching afterward! You rock!!!

Renee, I can't believe you got chased by a dog! What a motivation to speed up! Can you call that a fartlek?!?!?!

Diva, good luck getting started again!

I got in my seven miles yesterday morning, which was good as the temperature dropped about thirty degrees throughout the day. It was gorgeous when I ran, which made the running so much more enjoyable. Today's a rest day, although I'm tempted to go out and do just one mile to get my ticker to 100!

Happy running!

Kara
Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #53  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Kara - I LOVE watching your little running girl - look at her go! It's -20 here again today - thank goodness for my treadmill!
Edit: 3.5 easy miles for me today

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 02-11-2008 at 01:45 PM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Quote:
Renee, I can't believe you got chased by a dog! What a motivation to speed up! Can you call that a fartlek?!?!?!
Kara, you are hilarious!! Glad you had a good seven miles, yikes about the temp. I say go for that one more mile!!

Nova, that is so awesome about your run! Congrats! About the ipod, did you know that you can download a podcast that was made for the couch to 5k program? Robert Urley or something did them and they are on itunes for free. He counts the intervals off for you. and plays music in between.

Diva, sorry you were sick! I hope you have no trouble getting started back in C25k

Heather, -20! y'all make me glad I live in Mississippi...though when it's 100 degrees and 90% humidity in the summer I'll probably be singing a different tune
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #55  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Good morning!

Just got home from the GYM. I restarted my c25k! I feel so good! But during it I think I am am gonna die! LOL! My legs BURN! Guess that's the point huh?...hehe My legs feel all wobbly and funky after I get off the treadmill though...I slowed it way down and cooled down today before hopping off and did some stretches. I think I may partake in there weights and weight lifting machines next time. I came home and did more stretches, and abs and arms and chest on my ball.

Leeda, thanks for the heads up on the itunes music for the c25k, I'm gonna go look for it. I took my ipod with me too. It was 19 degrees here this morning. I guess that's downright balmy compared to some of y'all temps, lol! Like Leeda, during the summer I'll want the heck out of here! Although it's not as hot in East TN as it gets down in Alabama.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 136/131/125

Height: 5'8'

i can't believe i found this site, this is exactly what i've been looking for! I hope you don't mind if i join in.
I began running just a month ago (and was winded and queasy after the first half mile). I'm now up to 4 miles twice a week, and anywhere from my minimum of 1 mile up to 3 miles the rest of the week. I've been wrestling with the same 10 pounds for the past 2 years (29 was the age my metabolism decided to slow down) and in the past month managed to run off 5 pounds. I've been a half-hearted 4mph walker for the past year or so, but without changing my eating habits and only walking a couple miles a few times a week, the walking wasn't affecting my weight. Now with my daily exercise, a whole lot of water and better eating choices I'm feeling so motivated and so much better about myself!
At this point my average is 4 miles in 53 minutes, fluctuating anywhere from 3-6mph, my goal is to shave off about 8 minutes before my friend and I enter a 4 mile 'fun run' on St. Patricks day!
dvsminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #57  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Wooo!!! I plucked up the courage to run with the fast group today. Well, OK, I was bullied into it, but I did it! Admittedly I was at the back of the fast group, but it's still the first time I've ever attempted it so it put a smile on my face.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #58  
Visualizing the Goal

Oh, for heaven's sake, Helen. Were they Olympic trainees? You're the fastest runner I know!!!

Welcome to the board, dvs! Isn't running grand? Sounds like you've had some terrific progress!!!

Diva, I'm sure your legs will recover and be even stronger! Keep it up!

Heather, I'm glad you like my running girl too. She's so motivated! Doesn't she just look like she'll do anything to get to the end of that course? Is that bad that my inspiration is a tiny icon?!

I'm off to get my little snack and then watch some TV. Three miles on the schedule for tomorrow. I'll be hitting the treadmill if it's still cold out there - brrrr!

Kara
Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #59  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Welcome, dvsminx! We're thrilled to have you jump in You might also want to check out the Featherweights forum. I post a lot there, and it's great for sharing strategies to lose those last few pounds (which can be very different than strategies for losing a lot of weight).

Helen, I agree with Kara... you are quite a speed demon so I can't imagine how fast that group was!

I posted a full race report at my blog - feel free to check it out. As for getting some new miles in, I got upgraded to the WestinWorkout room at my hotel, which means I have a treadmill IN my room. And it happens to have a bar across it that is very handy for putting my laptop on, so I'm literally writing this while walking on it. Not too fast, but still... every step counts! Have a great week everyone
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #60  
Visualizing the Goal

Laura, I'm so jealous! Sounds like a spa weekend! I read about a workout cruise the other day, too. Congrats on your race!

Kara