Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #46  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Hicker... I run every second day and only 3 times/week... Tuesdays and Thursdays and Saturday or Sunday is my longer run of the week... I've been increasing my long runs lately I'm not really training for anything but I just felt like getting some longer runs in for the Spring...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Tonight I ran 2 miles with my friend, and I felt REALLY good, really comfortable. So when she left, I went into the gym and ran another mile on the treadmill at a 12:00 minute pace. That is definitely the most comfortable pace for me now. I've decided not to push myself to go faster, but I am going to try a few faster intervals tomorrow on the treadmill.

I was pretty proud of myself for doing that extra mile, especially because it's my TOM and I have cramps! (Too much information, I know...)
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #48  

Tonight I did 3 miles on the treadmill -- it was the farthest I've gone on the treadmill without stopping. I did five little 40-second speed intervals in there at a faster pace. It was tough but fun, and I'm kind of excited to take a day off from running tomorrow!!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:44 AM   #49  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I did 30 minutes of intervals this morning. Tomorrow will either be something very gentle or a rest day before my half on Sunday.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #50  

Helen, how long did it take you to work up to the first half marathon you did? I'm sure you did 5ks and 10ks first, but I'm just wondering how long it took before you could see yourself doing 13 miles. And after that, how long before the big 26?

I'm starting to get this crazy idea that I should do this half marathon in Virginia Beach, not this coming September but NEXT September. My husband did it last year and will do it again this year, so I plan to go with him and cheer him on in 07 and possibly do it with him (but really really far behind him!) in 08. The farthest I've ever run at this point is 4 miles, but of course I plan to start building my distance (I still have this crazy hope that I can run the whole 10k on 3/31).

Anyway -- I just wanted to see what your experience was as far as how long it took to work up to the different distances. You may not realize it, but you're my running role model!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #51  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

My rough timings are

Absolutely nothing - Christmas 04 (250lb)
5k - June 05 (approx 220lb)
10k - September 05 (run/walk) (approx 190?), November 05 (run all the way - sub 60)
half - February 06 (approx 162), June 06
full - September 06 (approx 155)

I've put weights on there too to show how they fit together. Once you can run a 10k all the way it's not actually that hard to train up for a half. My theory is that once you're running for over an hour, the extra distance doesn't feel like THAT much more. Obviously you still need to work up to it, but you're into "endurance" mode, and just need to stay there a bit longer, and you're well on the way.

I actually think I did my first full too soon. I feel like I'm going to be a lot more prepared this time round (May 07) and I'll have run 7 halves by then, instead of just 2, to give me more of a grounding in the longer distance races. It's nice to be able to say I did a marathon, and I did get round in one piece, but I can't help feeling I didn't do myself justice, and if I'd waited a while I'd have found it a lot easier.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #52  

Thanks for the info, Helen. It's really helpful!

At this point, the longest I've run is 46 minutes, which was a distance of 4 miles. The training program I'm on for the 10k has me running 5 miles next Saturday, so we'll see how that goes. I think Sept 08 is probably a good goal for doing a half because it gives me time to get used to longer distances, run a few 10ks and 5ks, and drop the rest of this weight. I already have a few 5ks in mind to run this year, and I'll see what else pops up. It helps having a husband who's already into doing races, because he can tell me which ones are hilly and which ones are the most fun and all that. I've also watched him run several times, and I've even seen him win! I will miss seeing him cross the finish line, but it's so great that I can actually participate now. Last year I was out of breath just walking from the car to my spot where I was a spectator!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

I think this would be the thread to post this. If not, let me know!

I did W1w1 of the C25K program on Thursday, and W1w2 today. My workout on Thursday was great: the first few running intervals (at 4.5mph) were hard, but I felt like I got a second wind halfway through. I felt refreshed and great, afterwards!

Todays workout sucked. Like, 'never want to do that again' sucked. I ran at 4.7mph, because it felt a little slow on Thursday, but that was the only thing I can think of that changed. I just got home, and I was tired and hungry, not feeling at all refreshed.

I keep picking up the C25K program, only to drop it after a few workouts. I want to stick with it this time, but since today's workout was really unpleasant, I'm not sure that I have the motivation: I feel like running will never be enjoyable. Also, the only part of my legs that ever hurts is the muscle on the outside of my right calf/shin, and I've noticed that that foot always puts itself towards the centre of my body when jogging (if that makes any sense). The only way I can avoid this is to look down and consciously monitor it, but I feel silly looking down for the whole time! :P
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #54  

Kashi, I'm new to running so I might not be able to help that much, but I did my own version of the C25K program as well when I started out. I did it outside, so I wasn't sure of my actual pace, but I know that I didn't worry about speed in the beginning at all. I'm starting to try to incorporate a few speed intervals in one run a week now, but I think it's important not to worry too much about it until you build up your endurance and work on distance. That's what my running coach husband says, anyway! As far as the second workout feeling awful, I'm not sure what you can attribute it to. Sometimes my runs feel great and I'm comfortable the whole time, and sometimes the whole thing is a struggle.

Today, for example, my group run was about 4.25 miles and I thought I seriously might die or throw up at any moment!! There were lots of big hills and I had to take walk breaks. I felt bad about it afterward, but I know it happens and I can still get stronger just for getting out there. I know I can run that distance flat, but hills KILL me.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Kashi, I second what Lisa said, some runs just suck and there's no rhyme or reason to it. And some feel so easy, again, it's totally unpredictable for me when one of those great days is going to hit. I had one today, and ran 7.6 miles, which is as far as I've ever gone. (Lisa, I too am considering a half marathon at the end of this summer, but am questioning my sanity a bit)

Another thing to keep in mind - in some ways, the earlier parts of the C25K program are harder than you realize. Or at least that's how it was for me. I don't really get warmed up and feeling good until I've ran almost a mile (even though I walk first to warm up a bit before I run). That first mile is the toughest part of the whole run - after that, everything comes easier. So, once you've built up your strength to get past the initial phase, the longer portions really do become easier.

And do not worry about speed. I am one of the slowest runners out there on the path, but I know that I am increasing my strength the more I run, and without really trying, my time is improving.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #56  

S/C/G: Starting over

Kashi,

Hi and congrats on doing C25K. I am in the middle of it too and I also had a sucky day today too and I am so glad you posted here because it really helped to hear everyone say that some days just suck.

My day was just the opposite as yours I didn't run too fast I ran way to slow. My legs felt like they had 500lb weights on them.

Don't fret, if you are persistant it will pay off.

YP1, thanks for posting the time table. It is great and inspirational to hear your story. Gives someone something to shoot for.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #57  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

Kashi - it does get easier, but even once you're used to it there are some days that just feel like you're trying to run through treacle. Hopefully there will be fewer of those than the good days though.

I had a really good run today, I had a half but hadn't targetted it as such, and was considering doing it more as a training run than anything else, but somewhere between the gun going off and getting over the line I changed my mind and just went for it and ended up taking nearly 2 minutes off my PB, which I thought was fairly impressive at the time. So now I'm officially, and indisputably under 1:50, my official time was 1:47:47, I guess I'm going to have to start thinking about 1:45 soon!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #58  

Congrats Helen! You are amazing.

I have been sidelined with a sinus infection. The antibiotics are nice, but I'm still coughing. Hoping to run again by next weekend.

Sigh.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #59  

Anne, I hope you feel better soon. Coughing is definitely no fun!!

Today I ran 4 miles outside. Part of the run was really hard, but by the end I felt quite comfortable and even gave a little push at the end to make up for how slow I was in the second mile.

I just wish I could deal better with hills on my Saturday group runs!! Any tips for not letting hills completely wear me out?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #60  

Lisa, for hills I just shorten up my stride and go as slow as I need to. I try to keep my foot turnover about the same. I also like to use hills for a walk break, since I can often walk up the stupid thing faster than I can 'run' it. On the other extreme, I use hills for intervals. Depends on the hill (long, short, steep, shallow), on my goals for the run, and my mood.

Feeling better, and am hoping to get out tomorrow.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote