Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 260.5/163.5/147

Height: 5'7"

Just to add to this, I've been doing WW with my sister since May and I lose weight very slowly (half a pound a week if that) whereas she tends to lose anything from 0.5-5lbs a week and so has shifted a lot more than me in the same time frame.

I know everyone has different metabolisms etc, BUT... there have been weeks where she has been out for several meals, and generally eaten unhealthily yet still lost a decent amount per week and she does no exercise.

She recently told me that she's been taking green tea extract in capsule form for weeks. Maybe it's just a coincidence, and maybe she's just lucky and is able to lose weight more easily.

The way I see it though is that it's not harmful and it has been reported to have many other benefits besides weightloss, so I may well just give it a go!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:16 AM   #17  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

i was always led to belive that the chinese drank green tea after meals cos it breaks up the fat in the food. i drink lots of green tea mainly cos i'm on a coffee detox lol and i've since managed to sleep for upto 11hours a day solid as opposed to my normal 6ish. and i feel alot calmer
Old 11-20-2004, 11:18 AM   #18  
Mel

That's weird, because it has plenty of caffeine!
Old 11-20-2004, 07:11 PM   #19  
~thïñk þ¡ñk~

S/C/G: 154/154/130

Height: 5'11"

My mom buys decaffeinated green tea, I love it!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:35 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 260.5/163.5/147

Height: 5'7"

Maybe it's just 'cause I'm struggling at the moment and looking for a miracle cure! lol I know there isn't one, but it would be nice wouldn't it?!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Bottom Line (IMO of course)

I don't see a problem with drinking green tea - it tastes good and perks me up a bit The issue *I* have with this is when profiteers - people hawking diet books and overpriced products - take something like green tea that's cheap and easily obtainable at any supermarket (heck, I get MY green tea for FREE at work - it's one of the tea offerings in our office kitchens!) and make it into capsules or other products to be sold at a premium price. (yeah, I'm sure there are different grades of green tea that are more pricey, just like coffee, but does that mean they're 'better for weight loss' if you pay more $$ for 'em? Me thinks not...)

Here's what Supplementwatch has to say about green tea...

Quote:
Description Green tea is the second-most consumed beverage in the world (water is the first) and has been used medicinally for centuries in India and China. A number of beneficial health effects are attributed to regular consumption of green tea and dried/powdered extracts of green tea are available as dietary supplements.

Green tea is prepared by picking, lightly steaming and allowing the leaves to dry. Black tea, the most popular type of tea in the U.S., is made by allowing the leaves to ferment before drying. Due to differences in the fermentation process, a portion of the active compounds are destroyed in black tea, but remain active in green tea. The active constituents in green tea are a family of polyphenols (catechins) and flavonols which possess potent antioxidant activity. Tannins, large polyphenol molecules, form the bulk of the active compounds in green tea, with catechins comprising nearly 90%. Several catechins are present in significant quantities; epicatechin (EC), epigallocatechin (EGC), epicatechin gallate (ECG) and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG makes up about 10-50% of the total catechin content and appears to be the most powerful of the catechins – with antioxidant activity about 25-100 times more potent than vitamins C and E. A cup of green tea may provide 10-40mg of polyphenols and has antioxidant activity greater than a serving of broccoli, spinach, carrots or strawberries. A number of commercial green tea extracts are standardized to total polyphenol content and/or EGCG content.

Claims Anti-atherogenic / Reduces cholesterol & triglycerides
Reduces blood clotting
Enhances immune function
Enhances weight loss
Anti-cancer

Theory Because the active compounds, the catechins, found in green tea are known to possess potent antioxidant activity, they may provide beneficial health effects by protecting the body from the damaging effects of oxidative damage from free radicals. A number of chronic disease states have been associated with free radical induced oxidative damage, including cancer, heart disease, suppressed immune function and accelerated aging.

Scientific Support Although numerous laboratory investigations have shown the powerful antioxidant activity of green tea and green tea extracts, prospective clinical studies in humans are few. From the laboratory findings, it is clear that green tea is an effective antioxidant, that is provides clear protection from experimentally induced DNA damage and that it can slow or halt the initiation and progression of cancerous tumor growth. There is also evidence from some studies that green tea provides significant immunoprotective qualities, particularly in the case of cancer patients undergoing radiation or chemotherapy. White blood cell count appears to be maintained more effectively in cancer patients consuming green tea compared to non-supplemented patients.

Several epidemiological studies show an association between consumption of total flavonoids in the diet and the risk for cancer and heart disease. Men with the highest consumption of flavonoids (from fruits and vegetables) have approximately half the risk of heart disease and cancer compared with those with the lowest intake. The primary catechin in green tea, EGCG, appears to inhibit the growth of cancer cells as well as play a role in stimulating apoptosis (programmed cell death), both of which are crucial aspects for cancer prevention.

In terms of heart disease protection, the potent antioxidant properties of polyphenols would be expected to reduce free radical damage to cells and prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol – both of which would be expected to inhibit the formation of atherosclerotic plaques.

Aside from the clear benefits of green tea as an antioxidant, recent studies have suggested a role catechins in promoting weight loss. In one animal study, the anti-obesity effect of green tea was evaluated by feeding different levels of green tea (1-4% in their diets) to female mice for 4 months. The study found that the mice receiving the green tea in their diets had a significant suppression of food intake, body weight gain and fat tissue accumulation. In addition, levels of cholesterol and triglycerides were lower in mice receiving the green tea diet. Perhaps the most interesting finding from this study was that Leptin levels in serum showed a decrease with green tea treatments – indicating that green tea may have a direct effect on the regulation of body weight (downward).

In some studies, green tea is associated with a mild increase in thermogenesis (increased caloric expenditure) – which is generally attributed to its caffeine content. At least one study has shown that green tea extract stimulates thermogenesis to an extent that is much greater than can be attributed to its caffeine content per se – meaning that the thermogenic properties of green tea may be due to an interaction between its high content of catechin-polyphenols along with caffeine. A probable theory for the thermogenic effect of green tea is an increase in levels of norepinephrine – because catechin-polyphenols are known to inhibit catechol-O-methyl-transferase (the enzyme that degrades norepinephrine). One study examined this theory, and the effect of green tea extract on 24-hour energy expenditure, in 10 healthy men – who each consumed 3 treatments of green tea extract (50mg caffeine and 90mg epigallocatechin gallate), caffeine (50 mg), and placebo (at breakfast, lunch, and dinner). The results of the study showed that, relative to placebo, the green tea extract resulted in a significant (4%) increase in 24-hour energy expenditure (approximately 80 calories per day) and a significant increase in the body’s use of fat as an energy source (24-h Respiratory Quotient). In addition, the 24-hour urinary norepinephrine excretion was 40% higher during treatment with the green tea extract than with the placebo. It is interesting to note that treatment with caffeine in amounts equivalent to those found in the green tea extract (50mg) had no effect on energy expenditure of fat oxidation – suggesting that the thermogenic properties of green tea it due to compounds other than its caffeine content alone.

Safety Green tea consumption of as much as 20 cups per day has not been associated with any significant side effects. In high doses, teas that contain caffeine may lead to restlessness, insomnia, and tachycardia. Decaffeinated versions of green tea and green tea extracts are available – but due to differences in caffeine extraction methods, the amounts of phenolic/catechin compounds can vary between extracts. Be sure to choose an extract that is decaffeinated as well as standardized for total polyphenol content and/or catechin concentrations. In addition, individuals taking aspirin or other anticoagulant medications (including vitamin E and ginkgo biloba) on a daily basis should be aware of the possible inhibition of platelet aggregation (blood clotting) associated with green tea (in some cases, green tea may prolong bleeding times).

Value Especially beneficial to individuals at high risk for cancer (e.g. family history) or those undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatment. Also beneficial as a general protective measure and dietary "insurance" of adequate polyphenol intake. Recent data provides strong evidence that green tea may be effective in stimulating thermogenesis, increasing caloric expenditure, promoting fat oxidation and controlling body weight.

Dosage Typical dosage recommendations are for 125-500mg/day – preferably of an extract standardized to at least 60% polyphenols and/or EGCG as a marker compound (this should be equivalent to 4-10 cups of brewed green tea).
So...from what I see the weight loss claim is largely based on ONE 'rat study' and one human study with 10 male participants. (There very well might be more studies in the pipeline...would have to check PubMed).
Old 11-27-2004, 12:06 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

just a quick note - if you have a thyroid problem then green tea may not be good for you because of the fluoride in it.

I recently learned that little tid bit, as I had started drinking green tea, for all the right reasons, but didn't feel very good. after some research I found that green tea has a high fluoride content which is not good for those of us with thyroid problems.

"In response to my article on green tea as a weight loss aid, some readers expressed concerns regarding the high fluoride content in tea, and the negative relationship between ingestion of too much fluoride and thyroid problems, as well as other health concerns.

This is definitely something to be considered before deciding to take green tea.

While green tea has some definite benefits in the cancer-prevention and metabolism-boosting arena, the fluoride content may, according to some practitioners, be a concern for the public in general, but specifically for thyroid patients."
(Mary J. Shomon at thyroid.about.com)

just thought I would mention it.

be well,
Cathy
Old 11-27-2004, 11:40 AM   #23  

I drink coffee AND green tea every day just cuz I like them both. I have coffee around 6 when I get up and make a pot of tea at 3:00 as a sort of a pick me up. I don't really think, unless you really sugar them up, that they interfere or help with weight loss.

One beverage that I love that does me in with weight loss, is wine. I just find that even one glass, makes me eat more, and makes me less inclined to get up and excercise the next day. So I'm down to 1 or 2 nights a week max on the vino.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:24 PM   #24  
Becomming a Monster

so if green tea is high in flouride in it does that mean i would be bad for your teeth in the sense to much fluouride damages the ennamel and we have flouranated water system?
Old 11-28-2004, 08:01 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

I don't know Slimmings. I know there is some speculation that the fluoride in our water supply may be the reason that we have so many people with thyroid problems today.

I know that sometimes green tea will advertise that one of its benefits is the fluoride content, bec people think fluoride is good for your teeth, and I would guess that it is, but it is not good for your thyroid.

maybe someone else will know more about too much fluoride being bad your enamel.

Cathy
Old 11-28-2004, 08:06 PM   #26  
Becomming a Monster

should put out a hunt for a dentist lol
Old 11-30-2004, 08:21 PM   #27  
Recovering chocoholic

I read that if you drink 5 cups of green tea a day instead of regular tea you burn an extra 100 calories a day. Dont know whether its worth it to be honest.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:41 PM   #28  
Becomming a Monster

well if you think about it 100 calories a day over 5 weeks (35days) you'd burn off an extra pound (3500caloires) of fat. nearly a stone a year that
Old 12-01-2004, 04:58 AM   #29  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I have read in Zest and Shape and al those other slimming mags that green tea is full of antioxidants and also speeds your metabolism. That said, coffee does the same thing if you drink it before or after a workout because of the caffine in it!!

Personally if I'm looking for a rev, I'll drink a sugar free Red Bull before a workout, but that's just me!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #30  
Becomming a Monster

red bull is a god send but the best stuff i've ever had was in my old thai boxing gym can't remember the name to save my life was in a normal width can like a coke can but only half as high was still orangey stuff inported from thailand and was 1 delious and 2 better than red bull. anitoxidents? interesting anything with a deep colour has antioxidents in it i.e where the colour runs right to the center of it.
Closed Thread