Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I used it for about 2 weeks hoping it would decrease my appetite. I was not expecting a miracle pill in terms of weight loss, but a lot of the reviews on amazon (where I ordered it) claimed my appetite would decrease dramatically. Well, it didn't. For 2 weeks, not only did I not lose any weight, my appetite was exactly the same as it was when I didn't take it. Thus, I basically wasted $30. I think I've come to realize that over the counter weight loss pills/supplements are mostly scams and a waste of money.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 193.5/163.5/150

Height: 5'2"

I have taken it and as someone with blood sugar issues who was a carb addict, it did help but minimally. My understanding of it, it will help you if you are eating a high carb diet. No, it is not a magic pill but if you are eating a low fat, higher carb diet and need a little help or are trying to break through a plateau, this might be for you. Just don't go into it expecting a miracle!
CAPECODWOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

My husband was on Garcinia. His doctor checked it out before he permitted him to use it. He is a credited internist . My husband is a diabetic and had very serious health problems and this doctor pretty much brought him back to normal conditions. He approved for him to take it after he looked at the research, the studies. He also said though "Dr oz is a great cardiologist he can promote propaganda he does not believe in all the time."
My husband lost 75 lbs where I lost 50 on my own. It is a bit expensive about 50.00 /30 day supply.
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Default im currently taking it

I was in Alaska this summer visiting a friend and I saw a facebook post about garcinia, i was speaking with my friend about it and she handed me a bottle she was given and never used so i figured, "eh, im not out anything by trying" i lost 15 lbs with that bottle.

so i bought another one. but im not using it as a cure all. i just add it in with my normal supplements and vitamins. for me, it really does help curb my snacking. but whatever weight i lose, i know it wont be from only the garcinia.
ambermartin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

About three months ago, a family member gifted hubby and I with a 5 month supply.

Hubby tried it, but it upset his stomach. I initially had no interest in trying it, but this month's PMS hunger has been especially intense, and when I found myself eating everything in sight, I got a little desperate.

I've only been on it a few days, but so far I'm impressed. I take one capsule at around 3pm and another around 8pm, and it seems to be taming the pms hunger. I still want to eat, but I don't feel my normal pms hunger, an urgent and overwhelming sense that I need to eat and keep eating.

It also seems to be keeping my blood sugar more stable. I've noticed that I can go longer between meals without feeling hungry or experiencing any low blood sugar symptoms like weak, wobbly knees or light headedness.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to take it every day, or just during the 7-10 days of my monthly pms hungies.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 247/210/160

Height: 5' 10"

Kaplods-What brand are you using? Are you seeing good results?
superchick36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchick36 View Post
Kaplods-What brand are you using? Are you seeing good results?
Miracle is the brand I'm using, but when I run out I'll buy whichever brand I can find cheapest that contains 1000mg garcinia cambogia with 60% HCA, and potassium (50mg).

Miracle also contains chromium and calcium, but those are both in my daily vitamin.

I've been on stimulant appetite suppressants, and the garcinia effects are not like that at all. It doesn't eliminate hunger or make me forget to eat, but it does seem to strengthen my resovle to stay on plan. It somehow makes it easier and less stressful to stick to my plan. For me, it's more a willpower booster than a true appetite suppressant.

Usually I gain several pounds during pms/tom week. This week I stayed on plan, and rapidly gained and then rapidly lost 2 lbs of water gain. My "normal" is to gain 5-10 lbs quickly, which requires the rest of the month to lose. Having a no-gain hunger week does feel a bot like a miracle.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-20-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #23  

Thanks Kaplods. I think I might give it a try. I work out five to six days a week and have not lost weight, so I know it is my eating. I just need a little something to help give me a boost.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #24  

Bought a bottle and took it for a week, but didn't feel any different while taking it. While I was taking it I felt like I retained water (not sure why that would be). I gained two pounds the five days I was on it and lost them when I stopped. Probably water weight (again not sure why they would make me retain water). Anyways, just thought I would share my experience.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #25  

I'm trying not to get excited, because I haven't ruled out placebo (and I don't want wishful thinking to trigger or magnify placebo effects).

The effects seem to be much less dramatic now that pms/tom is over. I expected that, because at this time in my cycle my hunger/appetite is always at its lowest and my willpower at its strongest. There's less room for improvement.

I have experienced a few bouts of mild nausea, and it may have been from waiting too long to eat. The supplement does seem to mess with my ability to assess my blood sugar levels. The symptoms of low-blood sugar are a little different, so it's like relearning a new set.

My plan, at this point, is to 1. continue daily use for a few months, and then for a few month I'll try only 2. using only when I need the help, such as pms/tom week and family gatherings. Then I'll repeat experiments 1 & 2 a couple times.

It could easily take me a year or more to evaluate side effects; decide whether the effects are real and cost-effective; and how/whether to use it.

If I had to make a decision today, with only my experience so far (and if I had to buy the product and hadn't been given a 5 month supply by MIL) I would probably choose to only take it during pms/tom.

Although, if I had had to buy the product myself, I would never have tried it at all.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #26  
I can do this!

S/C/G: 289/265/200

Default Garcinia Cambogia?

Has anyone tried Garcinia Cambrogia? I am curious to know if it really helps. The web says it is suppose to double your weight loss with out changing anything? If you have any information to share let me know please.
PumpkinField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #27  

If you search, you'll find previous thread discussions, including my posts on my experiences.

In my experience, Garcinia Cambogia is mildly helpful, but not miraculous and definitely not effective on it's own, and there can be unpleasant side effects (nausea and stomach discomfort).

For hubby the side effects were severe, and for me they start out mild, but get more severe the longer I take it. I can only tolerate the side effects for about a week.

Because of the side effects, I only take it during pms week, when my hunger is most out of control.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-23-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 105kg/103kg/60kg

Height: 1.60m

I think it's officially the latest 'thing', I keep seeing it everywhere!

Last edited by JamieToo; 03-24-2014 at 04:40 AM.
JamieToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #29  

Height: 5'11

I just got off of hCG drops. I believe they have something to do with garcinia cambogia. They caused me to have diarrhea, extreme fatigue, disorientation, and made me feel so weak and sick. I quickly discarded them, and have decided to lose weight the healthy way. It will be harder, but it beats risking my health!
tancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancil View Post
I just got off of hCG drops. I believe they have something to do with garcinia cambogia.
Actually, hcg has absolutely nothing to do with garcinia cambogia.

Hcg, or human chorionic gonadotropin is a hormone produced in pregnancy by the chorion (part of which becomes the placenta). Hcg is called "the pregnancy hormone."

Hcg can be derived from the urine of pregnant women or the placenta after birth. As I understand it, urine is the more common source, but at least one Japanese pharmaceutical company uses human placenta. It has to come from a human source or it isn't hcg.

Garcinia cambogia is a citrus fruit (tamarind) extract. Tamarind is commonly used in eastern food and medicine. As a food ingredient, it adds a sweet and sour flavor to foods such as pad thai.

The concentration of garcinia cambogia in supplements are no higher than that found in a tamarind-based broth Indonesian women commonly eat to curb hunger before meals to lose weight.

It just dawned on me, that you are probably confusing hcg with HCA, the active component of garcinia cambogia, hydroxycitric acid, which is a derivative of citric acid (plain old orange juice type citric acid, only coming from a tamarind fruit not an orange).

The only thing hcg and HCA have in common are two initials.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-01-2014 at 12:09 AM.