Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't have much time right now but...

There are 'protein' shakes that are part of medically supervised programs and I've read of such where you either do all shakes or most shakes and 1 real meal. The shakes are different than those you would find in the store. They are usually a bit heavy on the protein but are generally complete. There are complete shakes you can find, usually not in your grocery store, that may be valid to help replace some of your meals. I used to do it because they are quick and I was lazy. I still keep on hand various powders to make shakes but all of them are complete (one even includes powderized whole foods) and I wouldn't call any of them 'protein shakes'. I only use them when I want something quick and I don't want to eat something.

To replace all meals with shakes without being under a doctors supervision and since no shake on the market is meant to replace all your meals, it is dangerous and not recommended.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 AM   #17  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I just read an article..I guess I should have saved the link.
The author suggested one to two protein shakes per day as a "supplement" to regular meals, not as full meal replacments. This seems reasonable to me.
I also read a few articles about how excess protein affects the kidneys.
Yes, they said that people with kidney problems were more prone, but 1 in 4 people have unknown kidney problems. So, I say why risk it. Eat some real food

P.S. I just reread in Walter Willett's (of Harvard) book that high protein can also cause calcium to be leached out of your bones. Just something else to consider.

Last edited by ddc; 09-14-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
The author suggested one to two protein shakes per day as a "supplement" to regular meals, not as full meal replacments.
This is what I do, sorta. I buy protein powder and use it twice a day to get the extra protein I need.

I usually add some to my morning yogurt and then have a protein shake after my workout in the afternoon.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I agree with the advise so far. But if your still stuck on it (maybe for convenience?), mix in fruit with your protein shake and have a couple pieces of bread throughout the day. Take your multi-vitamin and have an handful of almonds for fat. That will help it be more of a balanced diet... but I still wouldn't do it all day. Just for two meals.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I've read some of your other posts. I'm concerned that you sound very anxious to lose weight, you are 18 years old, 5' 8" tall and weigh 150.

What size frame do you have? Check this web site for guidance:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ages/17182.htm

In other posts you say that you've had difficulty losing weight. Could it be that you are actually at a good weight for your frame?

Drinking nothing but shakes could help you lose weight quickly, but you will gain it all back as soon as you return to eating properly. It is not a healthy way to do weight loss. It's best to eat a well balanced diet, just less of it.

Perhaps you should consider an exercise program to help firm up giggly areas more then an extreme diet.

I'm just concerned because at your age is so easy to slip into bad eating habits that can affect you later in life. We've all been there-go on a new fad diet, lose 10-20 pounds, stop and gain 15-25 pounds back, it's viscious circle that the majority of us are trying to break now.

Sarah in MD
Old 09-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Sarah, it looks like the OP hasn't been back to 3FC since her last response here. I suspect she's not at the point yet where she's ready to be healthy. I hope she gets there soon and comes back for the support she needs.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #22  
Christine Smith

S/C/G: 300/223/160

Height: 5'3

not so sure if that's a good idea you need food in there somewhere. I use a brand of whey shakes called," Pure Protein." But I use it as a snack, they're 170 calories, but they taste GOOD. I usually drink ONE a day. I drink ONE a day as a protein supplement (each has 50 grams of protein) and I am the type of person who hates meat. So drinking protein is easier for me than eating it.

But I wouldn't just drink shakes all day, what happens when you go back to eating?
Closed Thread