Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 02:55 PM   #1  

Default Fibro #32

We were getting pretty long and taking too long to load!!!

I can't believe it has been a week since I've posted anything in here. Between my four days off (which were a total bust!), a twisted knee and a particularly nasty stomach virus (which my grandchildren just HAD to share) I haven't really felt like doing anything! But...you know me...I just "Keep On Going!" So...like Stella...I'm trying to get my groove back

I lost 4 pounds last week...BEFORE I got the stomach virus...don't know what the tally is now! I also got my gold shot on top of everything else and my blood has dropped. So instead of limping on my twisted knee...I'm dragging it along! Hope you have all fared better'n me!

Here a little something to make you laugh...we need to laugh at ourselves more...keeps us from going stark-raving-mad!

A Woman's Random Thoughts

I read this article that said typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, smoking too much, impulse buying and driving too fast.
Are they kidding? That is my idea of a perfect day.

Skinny people tick me off! Especially when they say things like, "You know sometimes I forget to eat."
Now, I've forgotten my address, my mother's maiden name, and
my keys. But I've never forgotten to eat. You have to be a special kind of stupid to forget to eat.

A friend of mine confused her Valium with her birth control pills.. She had 14 kids, but she doesn't give a care.

They keep telling us to get in touch with our bodies. Mine isn't all that communicative but I heard from it the other day after I said, "Body, how'd you like to go to the six o'clock class in vigorous toning?" Clear as a bell my body said, "listen crazy...do
it and you die."

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing and then they marry him.

I know what Victoria's Secret is. The secret is that nobody older than 30 can fit into their stuff.

"If men can run the world, why can't they stop wearing neckties?
How intelligent is it to start the day by tying a noose around your neck?"
Old 09-05-2001, 08:27 PM   #2  

Default Hey There

Memetoo...It is nice to hear from you( I should say read you) again.. Good for you on the wt loss. 4Lbs!!!WOW!!! I should be so lucky. I weigh in tomorrow.Sadly I will probably be over a lb and have to pay.. I read your poem to my husband. He thought it was funny too. Of course he didn't laugh as loud a I did. I need to find a few of those and hold them in reserve.
Hope you are feeling better from your virus. Take care of yourself...Joanne
Old 09-06-2001, 06:05 AM   #3  

Default Hello

Thanks Meme-loading was too long. And for the funny things.I went out to eat last night-the real food tasted good. It is so beautiful out. I had recess duty yesterday and it was nice to get outside. I was asking math questions yesterday and the little boy next to me was singing the jeaopardy (SP? ) music waiting for the answers. I was cracking up. I put the 2 spacey boys together and they like each other.And they socialize instead of being alone.3 more days-I'm tired but it was a good experience.Gotta go to eat breakfast. Hi to all and have a great day. Mima
Old 09-06-2001, 11:24 AM   #4  

Default Hi

Hey You All... I lost a pound..So my hubby got to keep his 9 dollers!Now if I can lose at a good rate I will be where I want to be soon. It has just got to get cooler soon!We have the Red Tide down here again. We need a really good storm to break it up. The fish kills are really big. It has not reached Tarpon Springs area yet but it will. I like walking at the beach but not when that is around. It makes you cough and have itchy eyes. Not good stuff.
See you later.....Joanne
Old 09-06-2001, 08:07 PM   #5  

Hey Meme....Sometimes I forget I have eaten and want to do it again...does that count?
Sounds like you had a rotten week. BUT, maybe you've lost a few more pounds. That's the only way to feel good about sickness.
You know what I hate about skinny people? That they always complain they they get too much food in restaurants. (I only go to restaurants where I get too much food...otherwise I might as well eat at home)
I had PMS BAD for a few days and wanted sugar so bad. I made it thru, got my period today and I still am starving. This is like the ultimate female punsihment.
The button popped off my baggy pants twice yesterday. Eeeeek.
I was going to weigh tomorrow, but I will hold off for a few days. I think I have residual PMS and wouldn't want to smash the mirror in the bathroom.
Thanks for all your input on the treadmill. I think I might join the YMCA....
Old 09-07-2001, 01:38 AM   #6  

I just gave myself a french manicure...now I look like I've been in the sugar bowl...with both hands!!!
Old 09-07-2001, 02:31 AM   #7  

I can't stand doing nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well maybe I should try sitting down and doing nothing!

My arm still hurts and they have me doing strenghtening exercises now!!!!!!!!!! In my arm that is.............I need it all over.

We are finally getting some much needed rain too!

Still not typing much!

My 2 yr. old Hardy Hibiscas..it bloomed this year!

Hey Mima..do you have to take a teacher competency test to get certified in your state now??? We do..so I won't be teaching anymore!LOL

Last edited by Candicej; 09-07-2001 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2001, 06:18 AM   #8  

Default Hello

Hello-the new teachers have to take a test to be certified-that's one of my jobs-correcting that test, the written part. And it is not easy but I think it's fair because we had some teachers who could not write well.I kept up my certification when I retired but ,even so, I could substitute without it because they are so desperate for subs. I also could teach my full time job and collect my pension for 2 years if I wanted to. They are so desperate for teachers. It's tempting but physically I could not do it. The nice special ed. teacher now brings the children up to the classroom for me. I wheeze all the time and get wiped from the stairs in that 100 year old building.Candyce-maybe you should treat yourself to a massage.I'm so sorry for your pain.Joanne-we get red tide too but I don't live near the beach,. I bet you can't wait for Nov. I hope you feel better Meme.Hi Happy and Ally. My boss is going to let me pick up my son from the dentist's today-he is having 4 wisdom teeth out. Bye for now-Mima
Old 09-08-2001, 01:31 AM   #9  

My right leg is hurting sooooo bad...feels like a pinched nerve. I'm supposed to go to the Rheumatologist in Nashville on Monday. I'm so tired of going up there and him not doing anything different. That's what it's been for the last year. If he doesn't do anything this time...I'm just going to give up!

Have son's kids tonight. We took them out to eat and shopping...I'm pooped. They are finally fast asleep. Didn't go to bed until 11 so hopefully they will sleep late tomorrow. I ate too much for dinner. The little one (she'll be 4 next month) said she wanted Bettachinny so we went to Fazoli's and I got baked spa...shouldn't have eaten it all! Plus I had 2 rolls and then had a choc. chip cookie when I got home! I don't need kids around eating junk all the time.

I gotta go to bed...I'm falling asleep sitting here!

HOW DO YOU MEASURE SUCCESS???

At age 4, success is... not peeing in your pants.
At age 12, success is... having friends.
At age 16, success is... having a driver's license.
At age 20, success is... having sex.
At age 35, success is... having money.
At age 50, success is... having money.
At age 60, success is... having sex.
At age 70, success is... having a driver's license.
At age 75, success is... having friends.
At age 80, success is... not peeing in your pants

Hope you all have a good Saturday!
Old 09-08-2001, 07:30 AM   #10  

Default Hello

Meme-that was too funny. I hope you are still resting now. My body thought I had to go to work so I was up at 5. But i don't.I was going to finish reading my book but didn't realize it was all about lesbians so that is going back to the library for another one. What a day I had yesterday. I picked up my son at the dentist at recess-got his prescription at lunchtime and went back over his house last night to bring groceries-he couldn't drive from meds. He needed his mommy-which Mr. I ndependent never does. To end my day-I dropped a bottle of red nailpolish on the floor and it went evertwhere-including on my 2 rugs which are now soaking but may have to be replaced.One more day to work-til I sub day by day. I only want to do it 1 or 2 days a week. All my nuisance diseases are acting up-fibro-wheezing and now IBS. I got so nervous yesterday running around.Hope everybody will have a great weekend. It's hot here again.Mima
Old 09-08-2001, 10:31 AM   #11  

Default Hey There

Hey Ally- That is a good one about the sI wish it was sometimes. Portion control has always been my problem. skinny person who couldn't eat all the food... Now how about the heavy lady at WW that complained she couldn't eat that much food... That has never been a problem of mine!
Mima, they never need their Mommy until they get sick or they need something. It has something to do with not being" mamas boy".I wish my son would find a wife. He is 42 and it looks like that might not happen. He is so settled into his lifestyle,he is not leaving room for one.
Memetoo... The little ones help ruin our diet,but aren't they great. Hope your leg feels better soon ..Try some moist heat.
Hello Happy and Candice.. I seperated my lilys yesterday. I hurt all night and my back still hurts.
See you all later...Joanne
Old 09-08-2001, 01:49 PM   #12  

Mima...My son washed his new school clothes with his new gel ink pen and all his clothes and my dryer are covered in ink.
I am not a happy camper.

Joanne...... I like it when I can leave something on my plate in a restaurant but I have to plan it out ahead. Remember not to gobble down the garnish...I might be able to spare that.
I hate new age restaurants where there is a tiny bit of "pretty" food too expensive, and leaves you hungry.

I am so mead about the clothes and dryer I am going to skip lunch.
Old 09-08-2001, 04:12 PM   #13  

The trick to leaving food on your plate is.......order more than you normally eat! (Thought I was going to say something profound, didn't you?) That trick probably still wouldn't help me this weekend. I've had a 6 & soon to be 4 yr. old all weekend and all those two do is eat, eat, eat! cookies for snack, cake for dessert and donuts for breakfast (of course this is AFTER their meals!) Having that stuff in the house is bad enough but when it is always out (and on the loose) I eat it! I've probably gained back 2 of the pounds I lost last week! In this respect grandchildren are not great...they are little food monsters!

Knee is no better...as a matter of fact I think it is worse today. I'm just doing too much and I know that but I haven't figured out yet how to put on the brakes!

Gotta go clean my music room...I start back teaching Tuesday!

The Straight Dope On Food, Health, & Exercise

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it. Everything
wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live
longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving
it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and
corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than
an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need
grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy
vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily
allowance of vegetable slop.

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have a body, and you have body fat, your ratio is one
to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: At the gym, a guy asked me to "spot" for him while he did the bench
press. What did he mean?
A: "Spotting" for someone means you stand over him while he blows air
up your shorts. It's an accepted practice at health clubs; though if you
find that it becomes the ONLY reason why you're going in, you probably
ought to reevaluate your exercise program.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular
exercise program?
A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain-No Pain.

Q: If I stop smoking, will I live longer?
A: Nope. Smoking is a sign of individual expression and peace of mind.
If you stop, you'll probably stress yourself to death in record time.

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: You're not listening. Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil.
In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad
for you?

Q: Are too many cokes bad for you?
A: Not at all. The labels on all soft drinks says the number 1 ingredient
is water - so the more coke you drink the more water you get and
everyone knows you should drink 6-8 glasses of water a day

Q: Is chocolate bad for you?
A: Absolutely not! Chocolate has been given a bad rating for years when
in fact it will make you more alert and give you more energy.

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the
middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You
should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had..
Old 09-09-2001, 12:28 AM   #14  

Default Yet another joke

BAKED CHICKEN

6-7 lb. chicken
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing
1 cup uncooked popcorn
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brush chicken well with melted butter; salt and pepper.

Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn.

Place in baking pan in oven.

Listen for popping sounds; when chicken's *** blows out the oven door
and
flies across the room, chicken is done.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:17 AM   #15  

Loved the recipe! Thanks...when I get tired of my stove I'll try it out!!!

What a wonderful day!
My face in the mirror
Isn't wrinkled or drawn.
My house isn't dirty.
The cobwebs are gone.
My garden looks lovely
And so does my lawn.
I think I might never
Put my glasses back on!
Closed Thread