Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 10:45 PM   #16  

Default Meme I know about the windows thing...Netscape that is....

I have 8 open now..but it slows my computer down! My son says he doesn't know if I can download IE to my secondary( the one that is empty) hard drive for the computer to work right! Do you know about that? I will go to the site and read about it! Keep the info coming! I didn't know you could click on file and get it though! I have been getting it from my start button! More work..you gave me a shortcut!

I fell off the big red ball today! Ouch! My right side is killing me! I hit the hard treadmill!

My son droped off his Ab Rocker by Jake today...he doesn't like it so I'm gonna give it a try! He doesn't have the instructions anymore so I have to rely on my memory from the commercial!

Toots..how long were you on the Vioxx and did it help! Thanks for the info!

Ally you have such a good since of Humor!

Anne is it your Birthday????? Did I miss that! You say your 70!!!!!! Hope you don't celebrate too much! But have a good time............ I baked this for you! Looks yummy!!!!!!! HAPPY ..HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Meme...It ried it but when I got the 2nd page it kept saying not available..my son was on Yahoo chat working with me but he couldn't get it to work either..he said maybe try later..so I will!

Last edited by Candicej; 03-23-2001 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2001, 06:09 AM   #17  

Default yes it did work for months BUT:

Hi ladies: I can't sleep this night now turned into morning {4:56 am}
Candice it worked for months but for some reason that I don't remember the dr. changed it to Porxidam. The Vioxx had to have started the bleeding becuse it is very slow process.It can take months and that's why regular blood tests are needed.{it would show the slightest change and then you could take precautionary measures.}

boy am I tired: bye bye
Old 03-23-2001, 11:25 AM   #18  

Candice, I have both Netscape AND IE on my computer. If you have the extra space...and I don't think they take too much...they will run together on the same hard drive...just make SURE you put it in a place where you know where it is and put a shortcut to it on your desktop. The problem with downloading stuff from the Net is if you aren't careful it gets buried in your C drive and you can never find it again! I tried that site just now and got the same thing you did...try this one and see if it works.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.htm

Ally...sorry you are having such yucky weather. We are having beautiful weather here. Plenty of nice warm sunshine! About training the dog...I've had 4 dogs in the house and all four of them were potty trained by the time they were 3 months old. I guess it would be harder to train an older dog. You shoud have started earlier! What I do is take them out every hour and when they go give them a treat. That makes them WANT to go outside. All four of the dogs that I have had would "force" out a little pee because they thought they would get a treet! I don't believe in training by punishing for bad behavior. My dog (golden retriever) is only 9 mos. old but she KNOWS when I am mad at her without me having to hit her!!! She is probably the smartest dog I've ever had!!!

Tootie...have you tried 5 HTP??? It is really good and helps you get more restful sleep at night, too! Here is some info on it: I have this book but haven't had time to read it yet...
http://www.doctormurray.com/5htp/fybromylagia.htm
And here is where you can order it:
http://www.iherb.com/tryptophan.html

I've searched high and low and this is the best and the cheapest, too. I just got 4 bottles of it from them. I took one bottle and felt a lot better but I let myself run completely out so I went to the Health Food store here and bought a bottle (paid $26) and I began to feel worse again. I ordered 4 bottles from iherb and have been back on "Ulmer" brand for about 5 days and I already can tell a difference! I take 3-100mgs a day. The best and the cheapest is the second one in the RIGHT column...Ulmer 5HTP+B6+C VegiCaps. They are $18 a bottle but they are 100mgs. The ones I bought at the store were $26 for 60-50mgs so that is only half as much as I got from iherb for $8 less!!! I've also noticed when I take the ones I ordered from iherb I'm not as hungry!!! It is supposed to help fibro, sleep disorders and curb your appetite all at the same time...what more could you ask for??? (maybe it could clean my house!)

Speaking of which...I'd better get back to work...I have to get the upstairs done today and work on my basement tomorrow. It is getting tornado time here and all the kids and parents pile in my basement when they hit! Sometimes it is 1 a.m. and everyone is piled up in the basement!!! No where for people to sit (or stand for that matter) right now! I pulled everything out of the closets down there in December for Christmas decorations and never did get it all put back! I dread cleaning all that up sooooo bad!!! We have a garage, a utility room, bathroom, huge rec. room (wreck room now), a gigantic closet, a piano room where I teach and a waiting area for parents down there and I just hate cleaning all that! Hubby has promised to help me 1/2 a day tomorrow.

Happy Birthday Anne! Hope you are not too depressed...getting so much older and all! These are for you!
Old 03-23-2001, 06:13 PM   #19  

Default Hi Gals

Thank you all so much for the nice birthday greetings. Ally, you saw this on Clouds, didn't you. Well I guess I am a year older - doesn't feel like it, however. We were out last night and will be going out again tonight. My goodness, tomorrow I shall be dead and my daughter and her family are coming. Oh well, I will pretend I am Meme. I don't know how she does all she does. She is truly amazing.

Ally - as far as your kids being young. We let our son be young as well. He just really grew up within the last couple of years (25 now). He has had a wonderful childhood and young adulthood. I don't think he would have traded them. He is just such a happy, healthy young man. Will your dog be paper trained? If you aren't home, have her use the paper that you set out for her. It is a lot nicer than the rug. Meme may be right, it might be to late. She is no longer a puppy, and it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. We have so much snow here again. It just stopped snowing a while ago. I am sick of this winter and I want spring!!! Maybe if we both yell loud enough we will get through(lol)

Candice - Thanks for the cake. It looks yummy. It is the best kind to get, calorie free - right? Yes, that is right. I am 55 going on 70, at least some days(lol). I am almost as old as dirt now. Hope you can download IE.

Meme - Thanks for the balloons, they were great. Hope you are having a good day. Maybe we will get Candice on IE yet! I still don't know why I can't get the graphics to work on this site. Started out fine, but now they won't work.

Tootie - Hope you made out ok at the Drs. Let us know. Sorry you are in so much pain. Is your weather at least nice and warm - here is was 4 below and snowing at 6:30 a.m. UGH!!

Hope you all have a nice weekend.
Old 03-24-2001, 01:05 AM   #20  

Default I only have 25.4 MB left on my C drive!

My son says I have to load it on D but then it won't work with Netscape which is on C! But can I still use it for this site??????????

Meme..I hate spring storms..we have so many here and I just can't sleep if there is a threat of bad weather..DH goes right to bed!:LOL Expects me to run upstairs and get him up to go to the basement! So you really think the 5-HTP works?????? The gals I have talked to here say it didn't do anything for them! Maybe it was the brand they used?

Anne..I don't think anyone can keep up with Meme! Glad you liked the cake!

My arm is getting worse...gonna have to go to the doc I guess..I did some reading on it and it sounds like tennis elbow...Hurts to pull and pick up things but not to push! Still puffy too! I think it needs wrapped.i have a thing for tennis elbow but ofr got how to put it on!

Anne... sending you some spring! Loved the picture of you.. ( the one at the bottom of you post!)I knew you had a great big smile

Last edited by Candicej; 03-24-2001 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2001, 03:00 PM   #21  

That's not enough room...gee...what'cha got on your puter??? I don't think a browser will run from a disc...I think it has to be on your hard drive! I'll find out from hubby or s-i-l and let you know tomorrow. You probably need to get rid of some of the stuff on your computer that you don't use! (Or just get a bigger computer!) I had a smaller computer a couple of years ago but still had both browsers on it. I didn't RUN both of them at the same time but they were loaded in. I'll find out something about space, etc. and get back to you!

I pity the person who tries to keep up with me(me)!!!
The faster I go the behinder I get!!!!
Old 03-24-2001, 06:34 PM   #22  

Another yucky winter day here in NY. This has got to end soon.
Candice...I have an Ab MAchine, which is just a cheaper version of the Ab Rocker. I don't find it hard to use...not as hard as regular old sit ups so I do it everynite and it has taken a couple of months and some increases in time using it for me to notice anything...and then again that could be my FIBER. Who knows. It doesn't hurt to try.

HappyAnne.... So did what kind of cake did you have? My Bday was in March too and it was the first year with no cake. Last nite I went back to a Seafood buffet and completely stayed away from the dessert tables. I felt less stuffed and I seemed to digest everything else so much better. A friend I haven't seen in a while came along and I forgot what it is like to eat food with her. She ate a tidbit of salad, a baked potato and a few crab legs, then pushed away from the table and declared herself full. And she kept saying "Oh, I wish I could eat like YOU so I could get my money's worth out of this". Everyone else at the table would keep saying..."Are you done...is that all you're going to eat?" and she would groan and say that she just can't consume all this food at once. I wanted to scream... She is not emaciated just petite. I KNOW she eats. She made me feel like a glutton. Don't you hate people like that?
That's for you Tootie....you think I have a hard time enjoying a good meal. Well...I do when someone is making editorial comments about the amount I can consume at one sitting.
Meme....I think I will try the treat thing. My old cocker is such a trooper. NEver ever goes inside. But the Princess......she is spoiled. And my kids trained her. They put newspapers on the floor of my computer room. And she still goes in here. PU.
When I am home, she doesn't go inside because I am constantly letting her out.
Again....can't wait for summer.
I have 100mgs of 5-HTP from iherb.com too. Jarrow brand. I went to my vitamin store today to see if they have any of their sale 5-HTP...no, but I got digestive enzymes. Fiber and enzymes. Watch out.
Old 03-25-2001, 07:06 AM   #23  

Default This computer is over 8 years old! Need a new one!

My son installed a second hard drive when he had it and that would be where I put IE if that would work or does it have to be on your main hard drive? When my son set it up and he didn't have the proper stuff to download what he needed to on the larger hard drive so I have no extra space....my home email takes up most of it! He deleted all the programs he could..and when we install anything else it is to d drive that is almost empty and very large! Let me know if I can download IE to the D drive!

Ally....When was your BD..Happy Belated one!

Here is a picture of our last snowfall...so peacefull..and the birdhouse my oldest son made in kindergarten and he is 23 now!

Hi Anne and toots!
Old 03-26-2001, 11:41 AM   #24  

Red face

Hubby said you could run IE off your D drive since it is a second hard drive. It will run off a hard drive but not a disc! So go for it. Did you check out the other URL I posted above for IE download.

I love snow but I sure am ready for spring and summer. But in another way I dread it because I have so much I need to do and I like to get all the inside stuff done before pretty weather so I can get outside. I have all my windows to do plus all the glass stuff inside. Over all my cabinets in my kitchen is open and I have all kinds of glass stuff up there like decorative bowls and hand painted picthers and some things that belonged to my grandmother and hubbys ancesters. All that has to be taken down and washed. Plus I have these glass globes on my dining room lights...6 on the ceiling light and 3 on the wall...that have to be taken down and washed, then I have a corner cabinet that has a bunch of blue carnival glass in it that has to be washed. All that plus 8 windows and a huge picture window. And that's just the upstairs! I didn't get to work on the downstairs last weekend like I meant to...didn't feel like it...so I still have all that to do, too. And I don't even want to think about the closets...GROAN! Maybe I WOULD like for it to snow some more...put spring off a little while!!!

I'm not doing any good at losing weight. I'm stuck at 170...can't seem to budge! I've been here for 3 weeks now. I'm trying WW old version of the "SuperStart" program they had back some years ago...it's for the first week or two on the old program to get the weight started down fast. It worked well before so hopefully it will get me off this plateau and then I'll go back to just eating when hungry!

I actually went to bed at 11 last night and thought sure I was going to get nearly 8 hours sleep...then a stupid woodpecker woke me up before 6 pecking away on the house. I went and got hubby up and told him to get out there and shoot the thing. He loaded his gun and went out but it flew away before he could shoot it. Then about 15 minutes later, after we'd gotten back in bed, it came back and started pecking again. He never did kill it so it will probably be back again tomorrow morning.

Last edited by MemeToo; 03-26-2001 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-26-2001, 03:36 PM   #25  

Default Hi everyone

Well spring must be in the air. It is housecleaning time. I know what you mean about the cabinets being open above. I have nothing up there, but this morning I climbed on a stool and washed them. Boy I am embarrassed and I am the only one here. What a mess. Amazing how that grimy stuff gets up there, and it is so sticky. Anyway, now they are spotless and I am putting up papertowels. Used to always do that, but when we moved in here there was no way I could get up there. Could hardly do it today. My right leg just doesn't want to cooperate at all. Also, that fm in my shoulder and arm is really starting to do a number. I just thought it wouldn't hurt anymore, or less if I did it. I think I am going to be sorry I ever attempted this. Also got the curtains washed in the kitchen and dining area. If I can get hubby motivated, I will have him take the ones down in the living room tonight and I will wash them and he can put them right back up.

Meme, I seem to be stuck as well. Increased some carbs on the weekend, but that didn't apparently work. Well, I guess if you just keep doing whatever it was that you did, it will go away.

I am still walking. Can now go about 45 - 50 min. at tops. About 20-25 min is areobic and the rest is a fair pace. Some days are better than others, and sometimes I have to stop after 20 min, because of leg pain and back pain. Knees have been feeling pretty good.

Belated happy birthday Alley. When was your birthday. I am an Aries - you must be a Pices. That is what my Mom was. Here birthday was on the 19 March.

Phyllis - I hope that you can post. I don't think anyone can delete an old thread, can they? Phillis asked about that in an earlier post. Are you feeling any better. You also didn't tell us the rest of the story re: car/rain etc. Only I know and it is funny.

Well I don't know what happen to the other person that posted. I guess they get fed up with us. Maybe they think we are too small? or something. Oh well, I would hope that they know they would be welcome.

Have a great day
'
Old 03-26-2001, 08:50 PM   #26  

Hi Guys.....
I am supposed to go to the Doc this Fri. Don't want any pain pills, just want my blood levels drawn.

If I am eating healthy, want to make sure it shows up in my blood tests. BUT, I don't think I am losing weight. Don't feel like I am gaining....but I know I am not losing.
Feel bad for you on a plateau...I hate it when you can't get the scale to move.

Another snowy day here in NY. My aching is really bad today. It is 20 degrees. Almost had another day off of school, instead school was delayed an hour.
I HATE this!!!

Oh cleaning.....I am trying to get things cleaned up so I can sell my house. Hope I am as smart as the last people who covered up all the defects. The house was unbelievably clean. That is what sold me. And that lasted all of a day.
Old 03-26-2001, 10:03 PM   #27  

Got half my basement cleaned today...can't believe it...

The person who starts the thread can delete it. Scroll to the bottom of the page and on the right are a list of commands...one of them is delete. The person who started the thread can click on that and then delete it!

Hope I can sleep tonight...I'm so tired and sleepy...and I hope that stupid woodpecker doesn't wake me up before 6 again in the morning!!!

'Nite
Old 03-27-2001, 01:00 AM   #28  

Default Just rested for two days!

Hoping that will heel my elbow..arm.....It was better when I got up so did laundry, cleaned the bathroom and washed my hair and now it hurts again! I think the vioxx is working a little but I really need to beable to use my arm! I think we all need new body parts..or how about just new bodys well I could use a brain too!

I know what you mean about cleaning before it gets warm enough to work outside I have the same problem! My china cabinet is stuffed full and needs cleaning but it is not that important so it will have to wait! I need to scrub the kitchen floor first!

Yes Meme I went to the URL and tried downloading it but it kept saying loading to D program excell and my son told me to wait for him to do it Thursday! It was not giving me a choice of where to put it! He said when he clicked on it it gave him a choice. I don't want to mess anything up so I will wait! Thanks for the info on the D drive......we will give it a try!

Anne where did you fine the flowers and your name??????? Love it!

Hi Ally and Toots
Old 03-27-2001, 01:19 PM   #29  

Default Candice and the elbow

Hello ladies:
I was about to start a post in the middle of the night and even tho I was tossing and turning I was really tired. One of those brutal nights.
Anyway, Candice, your elbow and arm pain is exactly what happens to me. There are certain ways that I can function and others I couldn't. I'm sure the Doc. are calling it "tendenitis" or tennis elbow, but the severity makes it something else.
Since,this kind of pain happend to other parts of my body, like the shoulder,wrist,ankle,knee or fingers, I found that as soon as the pain was starting {and I could tell just when it was going to start}I would put an elastic ace bandage on that area, like a sports brace.Sometimes for the elbow and arm, I would use a sling.
But get this, this new rheumi is saying it's not osteo-arthritis as Dr. last treated me for it, but is looking into Uric acid as the cuprit since xrays do not reveal any arthritis {yet}.
But also, since I have been on SB I have had only the knee and hip pain and that could have been made worse by the loverly flop I took when I broke my wrist.
Still waiting for the xray reports!
The Vioxx made some of those pains tolerable but if it is crystals in the joints, this new Doc is going to give me a medication that reduces the crystals. The only way to find the crytals is by taking some of the fluid out of the inflamed joint and put under a microscope.
Maybe I'm being redundant, because I don't know what babble of mine got through.
You ladies on this post are the only people that have experienced the same kinds of pain , which makes me think the doc is on a wild goose chase, and it's another form of fibro.But I'll try anything once.
My heart goes out to you Candice, becasue that stuff is sooooo baaaaaaad!!
Happy I know I wished you a happy birthday babble,you guys have such wonderful pictures. and annimated ones to boot!.
Ally, sorry you got snow again. This week was really nice, it's in the 70's and at night 40's. But today is a beaut of a storm. My son has to fly in this god awfull weather this morning to go to New Orleans to see them open sealed bids on oil prospects. He has three prospects and unless the people he has offerred them to gets the lease, he makes nada money for his research.
Things are getting really tuff because of the increase in price per barrel.
I pray for his success, but I also pray that our pains will go away and see how God answers that post?
Ally, wish you luck on your sale of your house.
Happy is selling also. It's too bad the stock market took a turn for the bottom, because I know that prevents some people from making offers.
Rain Rain go away, my hip is hurting and I want to play!!or at the least walk with out a stick. {will not use the word ----}
Old 03-27-2001, 07:38 PM   #30  

Hey ladies...see how far I have gotten on those graphics?

HappyAnne...I liked that post on Clouds about what you fear most. I think like a lot of those people I fear that this is not Fibro or CFS, but some malignant disease that I should have had taken care of years ago but the Docs missed it.

ANd I hear Tootie talking about is it arthritis or is it acid, and I think....this is torture.

But I have to look at the good side. If I didn't get "this" I would still be running in a zillion different directions at the same time, eating poorly, smoking, drinking, having sex (oh God, I DO miss that)...and I would probably kick the bucket early just like my Mom did.

So...I should be glad I have time to smell the flowers...but THERE AREN'T ANY here in snowy NY.

I also saw a thing on the increase in Lung cancer in women. Thank God I quit smoking.

Any of you ever smoke? But, it probably did add a few pounds to the old fanny when I quit.
Closed Thread