Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #31  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey, wanted to mention that lower Vitamin D levels also have been linked to depression. I think most of us will agree depression can definitely lead to weight gain--it did for me anyway.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #32  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Ugh, not cool. Seriously.... I feel like I'm becoming this paranoid health nut trying to figure out what's wrong with me, what I need to do, what I'm lacking, etc etc.

Can't they come up with a magical test that just tells you what the HECK is wrong with you?! Yeesh.

And yeah... I'd love to exercise outside.... BUUUT.... in Chicago... that's TOTALLY not available for at least half the year.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #33  
Finding my wings...

Thighs be Gone....

I've struggled with mean depression since I was in my teens... even for a while being on a couple of meds for it (but took myself off, hated feeling like a zombie). I've noticed that since I've started the Vit D supplements... my depression is WAAAAAAAAAY easier to handle.

I cannot honestly believe how different I'm feeling in so many ways because of it.... I mean, who knew? It's not a cure, I'm not perfect... and I haven't seen any weight loss (well, I lost 2lbs, but that's because I started Nutrisystem) because of it... but like you said, depression and weight gain are quite often linked. Can't hurt, right?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Like many of you here, my results came back showing that I'm deficient. I tested 17, and my doctor said she wanted me in the 50s, at least 54. So, I too am now on once a week 50,000 units prescription. Tomorrow will be my third dose.

I have had muscle and joint aches (severe) for years and also severe tingling in my feet and hands. About 7 years ago, I went through a very bad period of health - I was tested for Lupus, arthritis, MS, Lyme disease and several other things that I can't even remember. While I did have a borderline positive test for lupus (and my sister has it), a rheumatologist ruled it out. I never got any diagnosis and always felt a little crazy (or at least like other people thought I was a hyperchondriac).

My doctor said that every single one of my symptoms could be the result of the vit D deficiency. Wow!

How interesting and good to know. I am very much looking forward to feeling better!!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #35  
Finding my wings...

I know exactly how you feel Walking!! I went through the same type of stuff... and for some reason I could never figure out why I was always prone to weird infections (and nearly died from 3 random ones between the ages of 17 and 25)... and I'm starting to think that it might have had something to do with my Vit D deficiency! I seriously feel amazing... years younger... now that I'm on it. I can handle everything so much better... physically and mentally.

They really REALLY need to get crackin on more testing on this.... I honestly can't believe that they haven't!!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #36  

Hi
I just saw this thread -- I would highly recommend everyone read "the vitamin D cure" also recently a study did come out that showed that Vitamin D does indeed make an major impact on dieting. It was a small Study and I feel like maybe it won't be as good as promised when fully fleshed out, but, at the moment, it says... if I am reading it correctly for each one level increase in vitamin D level, say from 30 to 40, you will burn 1/4th more a lb.

Think about that. You get your level up from 20 to 60. You should potentially burn one more lb a week.

I hope that is true. Here is the link. http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/07/20/v...h-weight-loss/
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #37  

My levels were 14 or 17 a year or two ago. I am lactose intolerant and insulin resistant

My doctors did not put me on the mega doses, they just said to supplement and it will eventually come back up.

It is 28 now but I will go back during the winter to get it retested just to make sure.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 219/219/150

Height: 5'2

I also take high doses of Vitamin D, I have no idea if it helps with weight loss I guess we could google it and research it.
Duchesssammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchesssammi View Post
I also take high doses of Vitamin D, I have no idea if it helps with weight loss I guess we could google it and research it.
I have done some research. So far it seems there is no definitive study (other than the June one). However, there is a lot of circumstantial evidence on the net. People reporting that they lost weight (not regarding diet) and people reporting their sugar level dropped.

I found a blog about diabetes and this woman reported that right after taking vitamin D she started to have trouble in the afternoon with too low a sugar level... that it seemed to make the insulin that she took like 10 times more powerful.

There is also tons of stuff on insulin sensitivity and how curing that can really increase weight loss if cured. Insulin keeps sugar in your blood and if you have high sugar your cells can't burn your fat.

So I think there is a lot of circumstantial evidence.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote