Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #16  

Evening everyone
I'm having the opposite problem, I had another low last night...one more and my Dr wants me to call her. I'm not sure what's causing them. I track what I eat and it's nothing different then I've eaten before.

Laiferr that's a lot of weight to lose quickly,,, :/
Trish good going on the loss
Carol Sue I hope u find out what's going on with your metformin..
Old 08-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

p.a. You have been doing so well with your eating plan that your doctor will either lower your med dosage or even remove it.

We went out to eat for fish and I had a very carby food. Because it was a local restaurant and no nutritional info, I came home and used MFP to figure out the approximate calories and I figured them a little high to be safe. I still did good although my carbs were high and so was my sodium, my calories today were between 1600 and 1700 calories. I don't usually use my activity calories, but I'm thankful to saw they more than covered the calories I ate.

So I have 2 good days OP under my belt. I have put out a question to the IF people on a low carb website to see if the higher FBS reading before breakfast and after a 16 hr fast will finally lower. If they say it is a normal thing and does lower, I will continue IF. If it isn't, I may not continue IF.

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

p.a. I have heard that some people have issues with hypoglycemia even if they don't have diabetes. It's a whole other issue. I would be curious to see what your doctor does about it, if it happens again. Exercise can cause you to have a low, if you haven't eaten beforehand.

Trish, there are a lot of sellers that have that Rachel Ray cookbook for $.75 plus shipping on Half.com. I buy many books from that site and have never had a problem. I just make sure the seller has a rating of 100% or close to it.

Also, do you ever exercise in the evening? Sometimes that helps with lowering FBG.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-04-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #19  

Morning,
I'm thinking because it's been a few weeks between each episode she won't do anything,,,,she actually asked me if I was using an old meter when she saw my numbers. ( sheesh)
Trish 2 days OP is good,,,keep up the streak!
Carol Sue I've heard about exercise lowering bg but both times i hadn't walked yet.
I may Squeek out a loss this week, scale is looking much better then the beginning of the week.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #20  

Well, I need to remember to always check with the IF people on the other lowcarb website when I don't understand why something is happening. Thank God for those people and their years of experience. One lady who has been doing this for a while and her bs is under control still gets crazy readings sometimes. Just happens. However, the way my readings are right now seems to be part of the process. So I will continue doing the IF/LC way of eating. I am so thankful for learning that.

My first FBS was 155, but the "still" fasting reading before I ate breakfast was 117. So good to know that it is normal. One good thing about eating the way I do now is that eating out did not affect my weight. I didn't gain or lose.

Carol Sue No I usually do my exercise in the morning. I may have to change it since I'm doing IF. I'll try doing it this evening and see how it goes tomorrow. Boy these bodies are finiky (sp) aren't they?
Old 08-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #21  

Trish, you could still do your exercise in the AM like you're used to, but then add a short session after your last meal. That was working for me before. I would get on my treadmill for 15 minutes. I don't know why I got away from it. I guess life just got in the way.

I have been eating low carb for 6 days now. I was down a couple lbs, but today I'm up. Yesterday, I didn't feel good, weak or something, and I took a couple bites of the mashed potatoes I made for DH. I felt better after that, but that's not something I want to do on a regular basis. Also, my blood sugar was still too high so I was taking the glimiperide. It causes a surge in insulin, which we know causes weight gain, and it's working against me. Today my FBG is much better so I am going to start cutting the glimiperide in half like I was doing before. I intend to wean off of it, eventually. Low carb will allow me to do that. For 2 evenings now I have had 1 scrambled egg before bed. Remember when that helped lower my FBG? I have no idea why that happens. I will try not having it one of these evenings and see what happens without it. I don't know if it's helping, or if it's a fluke and my fasting is just going down.

I went back on the Metformin, and for 2 days now I have not had any issues. It's possible that since LC causes constipation, that it's all evening out. Or, the bathroom issues were due to something else, or my body is adjusting to the new pill. I will take it today, but not over the weekend because that's when we're out and about more and I can't risk having a problem away from home.

I can remember back, years ago, when I just ate and lived, and didn't have to worry about all this. Sigh

p.a. I think your doctor is puzzled about why these lows are happening, and trying to see if it's not really low. It's too scary to ignore it, but you do need to find out why it's happening and how to prevent it in the future. I hope you get this straightened out soon!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-06-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #22  

Quick flyby today. I am shocked at todays FBS. I ate late last night because of Bible Study and then ate protein around midnight because I stayed up late with DH. Of course, I wasn't hungry this morning, but my FBS was 90. Counting the caories and eating what I want seems to be working.

No time for individuals. Catch y'all later. Have a great day.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #23  

I got a shock myself today, Trish. This morning I only took 1/2 glimideride and my met. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast. Then we were out around lunch time and we picked up a Subway italian sub. We brought it home and split it, but I didn't eat the bread. I mixed the filling in a bowl of lettuce and ate it like a salad. It was so good! For dinner I cooked chicken on the grill. DH wanted corn and rice pilaf, neither of which I should be eating. I ate a bite or two of each, plus I had a sweet potato that was starting to sprout so I cooked that on the grill along with the chicken. I was concerned about eating that big sweet potato, but I didn't want it to go bad. At dinner I took the other half of the glimiperide and my second met. Now it's 10PM and I just checked my BG and it's 96. I haven't had a reading below 130 in a few years!! Here is my problem. I am now concerned that I'm going to go too low while I'm sleeping and not realize it. I really don't know what to do. I only had a low one other time and that was 44...really LOW, and it scared me half to death. I think I am going to have my nighttime scrambled egg and hope that that holds me over.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:25 AM   #24  

Morning
Trish and Carol Sue, have you guys heard of the 'dawn phenomenon' . Your liver starts to dump sugar early in the morning to get you ready for the day. ( that's a really simple explanation,,I know it's more complicated then that.) well to prevent highs in the morning diabetics will eat protein such as nuts, eggs etc at night before bed. It actually gives your liver something to do at night to prevent the high sugars. Sounds like that's what's happening to you guys.
Not sure if you belong to Diabetes Daily? It's another board that has so much info on it. It's been a great resource for me. There's people who having been controlling diabetes for 30 yrs on it.
I squeaked out a small loss this week,,,so close to losing 30 pounds since I was diagnosed.
I have my dds dog this weekend, nice company plus I will get in extra walks.
Off to grab a coffee....
Old 08-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #25  

Yes, I have heard of the dawn phenomenon. It's difficult to guage what and how much your snack should be at bedtime. I have tried different things and so far, one scrambled egg is working well. 2 scrambled eggs is too much and doesn't work as well. And sometimes I get the high FBS anyway. In the hospital all diabetics got either a graham cracker with PB, or a saltine with cheese. I know someone who gets a lower FBG if she eats a piece of graham cracker.

This morning my FBG was 121. Much lower than I've had for a very long time! I am pleased that it's improving, and I don't need any glimiperide today. I'm may be a little higher over the weekend because even though I have not had any issues with the metformin the past few days, I'm not taking it again until Sunday evening. We do too much running around on weekends to be having bathroom issues.

I belong to another diabetes board, not Diabetes Daily. I mostly read but not post. I get a lot of information there, but there are also a lot of Type 1s there and they have problems that I can't relate to.

Good for you on the loss, p.a. Every little bit helps. 30 lbs is great!
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #26  

p.a. Congratulations on your weight loss. A loss is a loss. See you did do okay on your holiday.

Yes. The lady who told me that she continued having high FBS for a while as she began IF/HFLC mentioned that. She said it takes a while for the liver to stop dumping glucose during the night thus the 'dawn phenomenon'. So that really makes since.

I also remember the lady on there who has been doing lowcarb for years who went to Duke's to Dr. Markowsk's (may have spelled that wrong) classes. She says she keeps her carb grams around 35g, but she eats a lot of high fiber veggies with her protein. I thought of you you Carol Sue because you like a lot of veggies just as I do. I think I'm going to start thinking in terms of more fiber and will slowly increase my fiber with my IF.

Got to run. Beautician is taking off tomorrow to go to her son's graduation from college. So I'm going today. I'll try to get back later if I can.

Y'all have a good one.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #27  

Trish, I do agree that fiber is important, but with this recent stint of low carb I have not been having nearly as many veggies. Some days, no veggies at all. I haven't quit them, just backed off for a while to see what will happen. don't know if that's the reason for my lower blood sugar or not. That 96 after eating a huge sweet potato really floored me, but it was eatien with lots of roasted chicken, so protein with carbs, and the sweet potato had fiber. I don't think I would get the same response with a white potato or other white carbs.

Just out of curiosity I'm going to track my food from yesterday and see just how many carb grams I had.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #28  

Carol Sue The lowcarber that I read about who eats lots of lowcarb doesn't eat potatoes of any kind, but occasionally eats legumes. So I am beginning to think that with what we've learned about how things work with diabetes, some "healthy" lowcarb/GL along with protein might be a good way to eat to control BS. Even some multigrain foods might be okay. I think this is why we see people who eat a little more carbs than the usual 20 or 30g, still control their FBS/BS and lose weight.

Well, my FBS was 94. After reading what p.a, shared about eating at night before going to bed, I'm thinking that is why I've had 2 days of low FBS and I haven't had to take a bp meds for a week now. Weight hasn't moved, but "first things first". I believe that will come. I am very happy with how things are going for me.

p.a. Thanks for the website. I'll check that one out.

Have a great week end.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #29  

Trish, I don't usually eat potatoes of any kind on LC either, but I just didn't want to waste that sweet potato that I had. I'm really glad I don't have any more because eating the whole thing at one meal was NOT my intent. It was just a trigger. I haven't had many legumes lately, either.

I am going to try to up my water intake and see if that will help with the scale. I hate to drink too much, especially when we're out and about. Today I'm going to a picnic for a while and I'm not sure what the bathroom facilities are like there. Probably just outhouses....I hate them!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #30  

Morning everyone
With you guys talking about potatoes and such makes me wonder...I do eat potatoes ( not every day but when I do it's about 4 or 5 baby ones) now I'm still testing 6 times a day and I've noticed they do not affect my bg...I can also have corn and carrots. All HG foods. BUT my thought is should I? My readings after are well in the 'good range' but Im on 2 meds and I know they are controlling my bg. Just thinking out loud Lol
Going to try a new recipe today. I love pizza and I found a recipe for a zucchini crust...I tried the cauliflower one blech! If this one is a fail I ordered a low carb pkg of tortillas and will keep them in the freezer for something different.
I will let you know if it's a keeper.
How many carbs do you guys eat in a day...I say I eat lower carb, I track mine of MFP and usually come in around 75-100. But, I realize low carb is more around 20-30.

Grabbing another coffee,,,,,bbl
Closed Thread