Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes/Prediabetes Chat and Support for September

It's September, and fall is in the air. Come and join us to chat about Diabetes...what helps us, what doesn't.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #2  

So it looks like we all agree that carbs cause us problems, with both blood sugar and weight, but we can't seem to stay away from them, can we? You're right Trish, it's best if we get our carbs from veggies.

Last night we were in Walmart and they had just put out some freshly baked Italian bread. It was so soft and fresh, before I knew it, it was in my cart. I know I don't need that, but it sure is good! I also picked up a very small butternut squash. I will peel and cube it and put it in the freezer in serving size portions. I like to saute it in olive oil and butter, get it nice and brown, and top it with cinnamon. Very tasty! DH said it looks like home fries so he tasted it, but it doesn't taste like home fries so he didn't like it. That's OK. More for me! It could probably be baked in the oven, too, but I don't like heating up the oven during the summer if I can avoid it.

My weight didn't go up or down during August. I am maintaining, even though it's at a higher weight than I'd like it to be.

I started back on my exercise yesterday and I hope to continue it at least 5 days a week.

My step-daughter makes this concoction called corn salsa. It contains corn, black beans, chopped red onion, chopped red bell peppers, with some olive oil, apple cider vinegar and a bit of sugar...seasoned to taste. She serves it with tortilla chips, but I like just eating it with a spoon. I don't like making it for myself because it makes so much. I did make 1/2 recipe once. I like the fact that I could control the amount of corn I put in it. While shopping at Aldi's I found something similar, canned. I bought some to try it and it was pretty good! Theirs is called Southwestern Bean Salad. It also contains some kidney beans, hominy and tomato paste, and is a lot spicier. I rinsed it in a colander as the sauce was a little too spicy for me. Rinsing it removed the sauce but kept the flavor that permeated the beans. I do that with baked beans, too, to remove some of the sugary sauce. I liked it better without the sauce. The can is a much smaller amount that my step-daughter's recipe. I keep it in a container in the fridge, and I can eat it with a spoon, or sprinkle it in my salad or with my scrambled eggs. I love it when I find something new that I like!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 09-01-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Congrats on no gain in August. The salsa sounds good. Funny thing is that while I read it and you talked about draining it that it would be good added to a salad. I'll have to look to see if my Aldi carries the one you found at yours and I'll also check Walmart and see if they carry anything like it. I think I've seen something like it there and wondered about it but wouldn't buy it because it had corn. I really would like to find some other foods that would make it easier for me to stay on this way of eating. I think more variety would be helpful.

Well, weight was up 4 lbs this morning. FBS was 125 mainly because I ate too many carbs and used one of DH meds. He isn't using the whole prescription now, however, I can't continue using it as they will eventually make changes on it. Besides, I'd rather control this without it and doc won't give me any help with it. I decided to see what I could find online about the Dawn Phenomena but my pc froze and I couldn't read all of it. I will look it up and see whatever else I can find. From what I did read I did got the idea that maybe carbs are something diabetics should not be eaten later in the day.

I take my Januvia in the evening although I'm not sure it really matters. I do get hungry for something at night around 8ish so I think I will take one of the suggestions and have protein at that time and take my pill. I'm thinking it should be a small amount of protein so remembering your 1 egg at bedtime Carol Sue, that will be what I will make my last snack of the day and see if my FBS improves. And if I can exercise and keep busy, hopefully that will help too.

I'm trying the Coconut Oil thing as well. Since I need to lose less than 100 lbs a day, it is recommended that I drink hot herbal tea or whatever with 1T of Coconut Oil about 30 minutes before a meal. It said NOT Bullet coffee, not sure why. However, I still put it in my morning coffee any way. Will be interesting to see how it helps weight loss, blood sugar and cholesterol etc. Will keep starchy carbs at a minimum.

Oh I saw something the other day that I thought I would share about saving our left over avocado with it turning brown. It said spray it with Pam. I haven't tried it yet but intend to do it tomorrow when I cut my avocado to add half of it to my breakfast eggs. I'll let you know if it works.

Here's hoping we can do better in September.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #4  

Evening everyone
My gang just left,,,,,, I ate way too many carbs today. My stomach feels icky!
It started with a pc of French bread ( I can stay away from plain old sandwich bread ) and then lasagne plus a PC of cake.....I have to check my bg in an hour I'm anxious to see what it says.
Right back on track after supper,,,kitchen is closed now. Cup of tea later.. The rest of the day was good! I havnt had pasta since I was diagnosed...and it was way more then 1 serving! Just saying...
I will remember tonight this weekend while we go away....I'll look for low carb options to take. This can't become a habit.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #5  

Checked and rechecked my bg last nite and it was good,,,,,,my fasting numbers this morning were good as well. I think I was a little stressed about it last nite knowing I ate wayyyy toooo many carbs.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #6  

No one click on that link from the new poster,,,,,be very wary of people who put links in thier messages the first time they post...probably spam.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #7  

p.a. Thanks. With all that goes on these days I think we have to beware of links from people we don't know. Glad you bs was good after the carbs you ate.

My weight is up again today. I've been overdoing the carbs and I am NOT going to keep doing this. IT STOPS TODAY. I am back on Atkins Induction to get rid of the carb cravings. I've got the book The New Atkins Made Easy by Colette Heimowitz who worked for Dr. Atkins. She has a weeks example of how to eat the 20 grams of carbs a day which I will use as a guide line.

I started exercising again this morning before I eat. I checked my fbs before I exercised and then checked it after. Before was 159 and after was 134. Haven't broke my fast yet. This is the way this worked for me the very first time I was diagnosed with diabetes. So I will continue doing the exercise 1st thing in the morning which is a good idea because it will get done and over with making it easier to turn it into a routine.

She also stresses spreading the carbs over the day 3 meals and 2 snacks. Eat 2-5 grams for breakfast, 5-7 at lunch and dinner. Snacks should have 1 to 3 grams to keep the blood sugar stable. I will use her guideline and add the coconut oil info to my plan. I've done this before by the grace of God and I pray He will help me to do it again.

Have a great hump day everyone.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #8  

p.a. Good for you on the good BS at night and also AM. It never works that way for me.

Trish, just remember, the other times you have tried to do Induction you burned out on it quickly and went back to eating carbs. If you feel that you need more, add small amounts gradually. I honestly believe that watching carbs is key, but I rarely go as low as 20. It's very hard to do. I love vegetables and feel that they are important, but the small amounts of carb add up. I mainly avoid starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes.

At first I was wary of the corn in the southwestern salsa, but since it's a small amount and is mixed in with other things I don't think it hurts. It's really better when I make my own and can cut back on the corn. I went to the 2 Aldi's in my area and neither one had any more of it. The girl there told me that it is a specialty item that they don't have all the time and when it comes back in it will be in the ad. So watch the Aldi's ad for it. In the meantime I'm going to make some of my own. That's such a good way for me to get in my beans. I only eat a couple spoonfuls per day.

I can't exercise first thing because of my heart, but it sounds like it's really working for you!
Old 09-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #9  

I ended up with around 1400 calories yesterday and my net carbs were 19 for the day. However, today they will be less than 1200 calories and net carbs will be 42. I think because of my age etc that I will keep the daily net carbs around 40 to 50. I have done my exercise already this morning. So I have 2 days of exercise now. My fbs was 145 and weight was back down almost 3 lbs this morning. I'm trying to get the salt in on the way of eating and I am thankful that it did keep me from having leg cramps last night.

DH read up on the new statin they gave him and his muscles are even worse. He also learned that I is no to be taken with fenofibrate which we both take because they both cause muscle problems and can lead to a muscle disease, but I can't remember the name of it. I know that since I've been taking the fenofibrate that I cannot walk very far and there are certain things I cannot do like walk up hills and difficulty going up stairs because my legs ache so bad. DH is experiencing the same thing and he has always had strong legs.

I had told the doc before that I didn't want to take it because of the way it makes me feel so I'm going to come off of it. I will inform him when I see him in 3 weeks that I refuse to take it any more.

I'm reading some of Dr. Eric C. Westman's info online. He is the one who co-authored The New Atkins for a New You book. He explains how he met Dr. Atkins and how Dr. Atkins had the results of how LC eating worked from the results of such success of his patients in his clinic. What Dr. Westman and others have done is proven through science testing and research that what Dr. Atkins had done and put into practice actually works. Their research and testing proves scientifically how and why it works. As they learn more and more, their have been improvements, but it is all based on the foundation laid by Dr. Atkins. I know a lot of people question the new, but personally I believe he would love knowing that things he knew and believed have now got the science behind it.

I've decided that for now, I have am going to experience this "dawn phenomenon" so I sill just expect it for now. I think that is why the people I read didn't think the Januvia helped as much as the LCHF did. I will be discussing this with my doc too. I don't think my numbers will be great when I see him, but I will be able to tell him that I tried LF/Low calorie and the bad numbers are the result. I will discuss the Januvia with him and the Lisinopril (BP) med too since one day back on LCHF, my bp was 106/60 this morning. I honestly believe this way of eating is the way for me to go.

Guess I better go. Today is my phone visit with my sister.

Have a good day.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #10  

Trish, I don't think you need the BP meds any longer. I don't understand why the doctor or pharmacist didn't realize that DH's new statin was not to be taken with fenofibrate. The statin I am on is very old and so far has caused me no problem. I have cut way back on my dose though because my labs have been so good. If my labs come back not good I will go back to the increased dose. I also take Fenofibrate, but only take 1/2 the dose. I know I am not supposed to do that, but I feel that it's my body and should be my decision. Why should I take more than my body needs to give me good lab results? I am not advising anyone to do that.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/225/135

Default A1c Advice?

Hi guys! I'm just going to jump in here and ask my question. Just had blood work done yesterday. In January my A1c was 5.9 and while I know it's not "horrible", I know it could be lower for sure. My hubs and I have turned our lived around since January. Going to the gym and watching everything we eat. He took his A1c from 8.2 to 6.4 since January. So I was really excited to see my number go lower as well. Mine is still 5.9!! ...whine... I don't understand! My doc just said- keep an eye on your diet and get exercise. I have lost 30lbs in that time, so that's all good, but what does it take to make that number drop? We don't eat ANY food with white flour or with too much sugar. Any ideas? Thanks guys!
Old 09-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinBG View Post
Hi guys! I'm just going to jump in here and ask my question. Just had blood work done yesterday. In January my A1c was 5.9 and while I know it's not "horrible", I know it could be lower for sure. My hubs and I have turned our lived around since January. Going to the gym and watching everything we eat. He took his A1c from 8.2 to 6.4 since January. So I was really excited to see my number go lower as well. Mine is still 5.9!! ...whine... I don't understand! My doc just said- keep an eye on your diet and get exercise. I have lost 30lbs in that time, so that's all good, but what does it take to make that number drop? We don't eat ANY food with white flour or with too much sugar. Any ideas? Thanks guys!
Welcome HappyinBG! I don't know a lot about this, but everyone is different when it comes to blood sugar. What one person can eat, may spike another's blood sugar. It's possible that you just have to eat fewer carbs than DH to lower your A1c. Also, the size of your meals can effect blood sugar, too, so maybe eat smaller meals with healthy snacks in between.

Congratulations on the 30 lb weight loss! I would be so thrilled to have an A1c of 5.9.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #13  

Evening everyone had a great long weekend at the cottage,,,weight went up a smidge due to carbs but on its way back down again. I'm leaving again Thursday for a week and that should be it for travelling for awhile.
Today has been my second time fasting...it's not as hard as I thought. But,,,I do drink coffee and tea with a bit of cream during the day it fills the hole lo. Last week when I did this the day after the fast I felt so good and not hungry again. I did eat but I think I could have done another day....I won't try it though. After I get back I'm going to try two days a week just to one after the other.

I will check in while I'm away ,,,,my SILs internet is crappy though
Old 09-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #14  

Glad you had a good time and lucky you to get another vacation!! I haven't done any traveling this year at all.

Are you doing a total fast?
Old 09-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #15  

No I'm doing the 500 calorie one.....you can read a lot on 5:2.....your supposed to eat normally for 5 days and fast with only 500 calories for two days. Not consecutively. I won't fast while I'm away but when I get back I'll probable pick out the same two days a week to fast,,,,at first it sounded really scary to think of eating that low but it's really not. It's amazing how much food is very low calorie. As for eating what I want for 5 days,,,well I don't think chips and dip count. Lol.....so I still count carbs,,and eat healthy fat.
I'll check in when I can ladies...
Closed Thread