Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #121  

Height: 5'7"

Not been doing well at all with eating. Started back at it today.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #122  

Ready for day 2! My dr wants me to check fbs weekly. I think Thursday will be my day.
I am determined to get this weight back off.
Hubby is struggling with his glucose. But his eating is far from where it should be.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Dgramie, my eating is far from what it should be, too. I'm at the point that I don't know what is right. You hear so many different opinions and how do you decided who's right or wrong? Most of these people are doctors or other medical professions, but they don't agree. They are at totally different ends of the spectrum. You go along thinking you are on track, then someone comes along and then you're doing it all wrong. I am just confused and disgusted with it all.

I am glad you are getting back on track and I hope you lose the weight you want to lose. I want that for all of us.

Trish, I watched the video from Dr Fong. It seemed to lead to more and more videos, some by different people. Then along came this video saying that diabetics should NOT be eating eggs at all. I was ready to take the bridge. I did some further googling and found an article on WebMD saying that eggs are a very good choice for diabetics because they are fat and protein, do not raise blood sugar, and keep you satisfied longer. I have always trusted WebMD and I am going to disregard what the others are saying, since I have never even heard of them.

Although I understand what Dr Fung is saying, I can't find anywhere that the actual program is outlined. He says to do IF, either daily, or fasting on alternate days, but I can find no other instructions as to what exactly he means. IF means different things to different people. And just how low calorie are you supposed to go? He compares it to bariatric surgery, but those people are on extremely low calorie eating plans, due to the small size of their pouch. They lose a lot of weight quickly and their diabetes goes away instantly, but many of them have a lot of issues due to lack of nutrition. They have to take a lot of vitamins and supplements, and that doesn't always help with malnutrition. Eventually the pouch stretches and they are able to eat more. Not all, but many of them gain back a lot of their weight and their diabetes comes back.

Or maybe he means keep your calories up during your eating period, but make sure you have a long fasting period too. I would just like to see something that explains it further.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-25-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #124  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Dgramie: what plan are you going to use? I think the most important thing is to simply make a plan, then get rid of any food in the house that shouldn't be there. (pitch the ice cream, and cookies etc)

SO had a little whoosh today, and have changed the ticker down. I hope to be below 180 very soon!

I am encouraged that my off days have not gotten me totally off track, and that I have successfully gotten back on plan so I don't gain again.

I have a long teleconference today, and plan to do some of it on the treadmill, even a slow pace is better than sitting right?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #125  

Mad, I think the treadmill during teleconferencing is a great idea! I do that while I'm watching my soaps, except for when I seem to get away from it for some reason, which has happened often lately. There is a morning radio news show locally where one of the guys walks slowly on a treadmill through the entire 3 hour program. It was started because of the recent trend of some businesses providing treadmill work stations for their employees. I want to turn my home pc desk into a stand-up desk but DH nixed that idea. I am online so much that a treadmill work station would be just the ticket for me.

Good job on the whoosh! This is what we want!!

Sometimes it's hard to purge the house of foods that shouldn't be there, when there is someone else in the household who wants and eats those foods. Like DH. He's not going to give up these foods, since he does not have any visible problems with them. No weight issues, ever, only 1 pill a day....for blood pressure. He doesn't feel that these foods are causing him any problems and has no plan on giving them up. I do a pretty good job of staying away from them. My thinking is, if I can learn to stay away from these foods when they are sitting right there in front of me, I'm ahead of the game. If they are never in the house that is a good thing, but I also don't have a problem when I'm away from home and am faced with those foods. Now I just need to learn how to work with my own food choices. There is no wrong or right with this. Each person has to do what works for them.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #126  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Been up a pound and down a pound all month - most frustrating. FBGL is still OK but I'm concerned about my next HA1C. It's been too darned cold to even think of cold meals and all the hot meals seem to include carbs which is what's keeping my weight stable. It doesn't help that I redisocvered my love of fruits while in Cuba. I wonder how an avocado would taste with splenda? ** Sigh **
Old 02-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I had the same problem with Dr. Fung's videos plus when I googled him, he seems to be back in China or Singapore where ever he is from. I have felt the same way you do. I'm just tired of reading all the junk and everyone's idea is different. The problem I have always had with the bariatic surgery is that I know of no one who hasn't gained the weight back and more and had health problems. I think the reason it didn't work for my sister is that she started losing her hair. Plus when they did it they messed up something in her isophagus (sp), so she never went back.

I've decided that the lowcarb woe eating is the way to go. I got up this morning and had eggs with kale and my bacon and cheese. I've always trusted WebMD too. I am impressed with those on the lowcarb site that we have read and then we have JerseyGirl hereon 3fc that have done it for so many years. While I still don't want to count carbs, I honestly think if I just stick to the lowcarb veggies with a reasonable amount of protein that I will be okay. That is what I've decided to do and to heck with any other way. I want to be well and healthy so I can live a quality life for the rest of my life.

I know from experience that it takes me about 6 months if I do it faithfully to get my fbs back down to normal and all my numbers... cholesterol etc were normal. However, I also have to say that the weight loss was extremely slow. But just maybe the one thing I saw from those Fung videos is true, you have to get the insulin under control before you can get the weight coming off. The only way I will know is to do it and see what happens. I like what you learned about the eggs on WebMD. I may start eating eggs for my last meal or snack and see what happens.

Mad So happy for you getting back OP. I think the off times don't bother you when you are faithful to the plan the rest of the time. I always think about Dana Carpandar's book where she said she had planned "special" off meal. I think the key there is AN OFF MEAL not meals. I think when you lowcarb that you can have that one off meal from time to time without it causing a problem.

Ruthie I don't know if you are still doing SBD or not, but I thought avocado was one of those allowed foods. However, I'm not sure I was want any sweetner on it. LOL I like avocados for the way they keep me moving if you know what I mean especially when strictly lowcarbing. My problem is that they are too expensive to purchase individually they ruin before I get them eat when I get them in a bunch.

Dgramie I know it is difficult to get the days built up, but we can do it. Good for you doing day 2.

We are going to Costco today and eating at Sonny's BBQ. I find it easy to stay lowcarb when eating there so I'll do good today unless DH changes his mind or the weather changes our minds. We need to go to Costco in Charlotte and get back before it starts snowing here. Snow storm is supposed to hit us some say at 4 and some say 7 and snow all night. So I have to get some lowcarb friendly groceries in the house before it starts.

I can't believe how this winter has been. February is always worse here, but this has been really crazy weather all winter everywhere.

Have a good day.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #128  

Trish, I don't remember what part of SC you are in, but I saw on the news that a winter storm is going through the south. Take care, and keep warm and dry. Our 14 day forecast looks pretty good. No snow, and rising temps, into the 40s.

I understand what DR Fung is saying, that fasting lowers insulin, which is what we want, but I wish he gave more details that to just say IF. What I think is IF might not be what he means. I can do LC and IF, and I am adding bacon in the morning and using butter. But I wish I had more details. I will keep searching for more information from him, and I'll let you know what I learn, if anything.

I am making a beef roast for dinner and DH wants mashed potatoes. I will have beef and veggies, and continue to try to keep from picking in the evening. Right now I'm getting hungry, which tells me I've done well today.

I meant to ask you how your DH is feeling with his shingles. I hope he's feeling better.

Ruth, I always heard that FBG is the last one to lower, so if you FBG is good, postprandial should be good also. I'll bet your A1c will be good. I think it takes more than a few carbs here and there to do big damage. The jury is still out on fruit, from what I am reading. It is higher carb, but they say it's handled differently by the body and is OK. But then moderation is the key. I don't think I would like Avacado with Splenda. LOL
Old 02-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #129  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Hi ladies! I have been MIA because my laptop died sometime around Valentine's day and my new one just arrived today. I also have a cell and iPad that get internet but the cell stopped charging properly so I had to get a new one (also arrived today) and my iPad has also stopped charging properly (dreading finding out what is wrong with it but my guess is if it can't be easily fixed, it will not be replaced) so I have not been using it much.

Anyway, all that to say that I am fine! We were trapped in the house all of last week due to ice and this week is the same. It snowed all day Tuesday and has been snowing all evening tonight - they are predicting up to 8 inches which is really crazy for where I live. So, preschool has been closed, bible study, night classes and MOPS have all been cancelled, two weeks now - I'm going nuts!! Mark leaves Sunday for a week in Atlanta, comes back for about three days then leaves again for San Francisco and gets back the evening before I am supposed to leave VERY EARLY the next day for my weekend sewing retreat. Normally I enjoy when he is gone - I don't mean that bad, it's just less laundry, less food to cook, less mess to clean up, etc. and means I can have more "me time" and more sleep at night bc I go to bed earlier and Olivia gets in bed with me if she wakes. But, I do not care for back to back trips especially right before I need to leave to go somewhere but hopefully it will all work out.

From Valentine's to this past weekend I have been more OFF my plan than on it but I am finally back on for 4 days now, though today I was very snacky (but everything I ate was considered on plan). I think I am still losing but very slowly. I will weigh on Friday and let you know my tally for the month. I have been experimenting with lots of meals and am finding some I like a lot. I am still trying to drink the ACV drinks - my new fave is made with frozen strawberries and the juice of one lime - strawberry limeade GGMS (good girl moonshine). I made some peanut butter cookies today from natural PB that is on plan and pretty much binged on them so I will not be making those again for a while. I also binged on roasted cauliflower tonight - that was a first, bingeing on a vegetable!! It was soooo good - definitely a new favorite way of making cauli!

Oh, I must tell you about this - my "baby" is getting her big girl teeth!!! On Valentine's I saw that a big tooth was coming up behind her baby tooth and poking through the gum and two days ago I saw that the same is happening to the tooth next to that one. She still has not lost the baby teeth yet but one is extremely wiggly.

I hope everyone is doing well. I don't know if I will get to go back and read so I will just jump in from here rather than try to go back.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 02-25-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #130  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Been up a pound and down a pound all month - most frustrating. FBGL is still OK but I'm concerned about my next HA1C. It's been too darned cold to even think of cold meals and all the hot meals seem to include carbs which is what's keeping my weight stable. It doesn't help that I redisocvered my love of fruits while in Cuba. I wonder how an avocado would taste with splenda? ** Sigh **
RUth: I often have a whole avocado to add fat when I have a higher protein meal, and want to add fat.
Atkins and other LC plans are not really high protein, they recommend fat to replace the carbs. the fat has no effect on our blood sugar.
SO enjoy the avocado, just not with potatoes!

Glad to hear from you, its been a cold winter. Im trying not to hibernate.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #131  

Yesterday my eating was VERY good. I stayed on plan, stopped eating around 6PM, after dinner and did not have my egg at bedtime. It was an attempt at not breaking my fast. That did not go well. At bedtime, my BG was 136 and this morning it was 161. So I am coming to the conclusion that the egg is doing something good for my blood sugar and will go back to it as long as it is working. My weight was way up this morning for some reason. I'm not going to let it worry me because it feels like bloat and should come back off quickly. It could be the salt from the bacon. I do not usually eat bacon because I don't like the salty taste, but I was eating it because I felt that I should add the fat. I guess my body knows what it's doing by not liking it. I prefer sausage anyway with breakfast.

Shannon, I am glad you're back and doing well. It's not like you to just disappear. I can imagine what it's like to get this stormy winter weather when you're not accustomed to it. I saw on the news that the south was getting it and heard that some areas have lost electricity. I hope that hasn't effected you, Trish, Bonnie or Rennie, and any of our other friends who are in that area.

My 6 year old grandson lost his 2 front teeth just last week. As far as I know there is no sign of the new ones yet.

Trish, I noticed that in the video from Dr Fung that those people were doing the every-other-day fast. But in his blog that I read for hours last night, he has been recommending up to a 10 hour eating window, up to 3 meals, with no eating in between meals, no snacks. He said to allow that time in between to allow your insulin levels to drop. No calorie limit, but low carb. I think you could take a IE approach and eat enough to satisfy and hold you til the next meal, without overeating. I guess there would be no such thing as too short of an eating window. It would be a personal choice and recommended to go shorter. I now understand that I have to quit grabbing things between meals, even if they are low carb. If I want something, like some nuts, I should include them at mealtime. I can do it this way. I did IF long before I even knew what it was, and I was thin and free from diabetes. 2 or 3 meals will depend on when I have breakfast. For so many years I was guilty of grazing, and he said that's one of the worst things you can do for your diabetes. Every time you eat you raise your insulin levels. I guess those people who eat only 1 meal a day have the right idea.

I liked his explanation of breakfast. He says that you don't have to eat as soon as you get up, which has always been tossed back and forth. He said that the first time you eat each day, be in at 9AM or 1PM, you are breaking your fast, and that is breakfast.

I'm so glad you brought Dr Fung to my attention. I had to stop reading last night because it was bedtime. I will continue reading today, and I am bookmarking as I go along. This is probably the only plan I have not tried in the past, and I think it will help me. Even though my FBG has not been optimal, my overall blood sugar readings have not gone over 200 for the past few days and that is such a big improvement for me.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #132  

Shannon So glad to hear from you. I tell you when my pc goes down it is like losing my best friend. My pc and my smart phone are my life line to my family who lives so far from me. Glad you got yours back. We didn't get hit as hard as they thought we would, or at least our neighborhood didn't. I have known of others getting snow etc and we didn't. DGS stayed with a friend at school last night in case he has afternoon classes so he could be with friends today if it snowed and wouldn't have to drive if streets were icy. We usually don't have all the equipment others have up north to prepare for these things, but evidently North and South Carolina decided to prepare this time. They already had the streets salted etc when we were out yesterday.

Mad I have been reading so much about lowcarb lately and although I know a lot of the Atkins people don't like the new Atkins plan, I have learned so much more than I understood from the original. I think because Dr. Atkins had 2 audiences.. lay people and the medical people. Since I conversed with a lady to went to the lecture groups given by Dr. Westman at Duke's University who helped write the new book, I understand so much more. I think the reason I've had such a problem with AI was that I wasn't eating enough fat. I just didn't get it. I just read somewhere what you said to Ruthie "Fat replaces carbs". I've decided to give AI another shot now that I understand the plan better. Although I also understand the GI/GL of the veggie carbs that are now allowed, I hesitate to eat carrots which I absolutely love. But I don't think those are on Induction any way and still not sure about them when I get past AI. My problem with some things fall into the same category with Fat vs. LF that I got hung up on for so long.

Carol Sue I tried your idea of eating eggs (I ate 2 scrambled in butter) as a snack around 10ish and it works. My FBS was in 159 yesterday and was 124 this morning. So I will be having 2 or 3 meals and a snack around 10 at night. I did read in the New Atkins book yesterday that you don't have to snack. He said eat when your hungry, but he recommended not going more than 6 hrs between meals.

I agree that this would work so well with IE. As you know, I have also mentioned in the past that I grew up eating only 2 meals a day with an occasional evening cold drink. Right now I think I've been conditioned/brainwashed into believing that I have to eat breakfast that now I think I have to have it. I think an 8 to 9 hour window will work good for me for now. I have also started writing down my plan in advance for the day again and counting my carbs. I know I'm the one who didn't want to do that. Oh, Carol Sue my weight was up about 2 lbs this morning. However, one of the problems is that my eating was not 100% yesterday although it was better. I think when I did Atkins in the past that I did gain a few lbs the 1st few days, but if I remember right it was just the switching from the carbs to the fat and adjusting to it. I'm pretty sure it is a temporary adjustment thing. Mad is more experience with Atkins than I am and she can correct me if I'm wrong. But I do seem to remember my experience that way.

Guess I better get off of here as it is time for my weekly phone visit with my sister. You guys stay warm and have a great day.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #133  

Trish, I am torn between having that egg at bedtime and keeping my fast, but I feel that the lower FBG is very telling. This morning I was reading more from Dr Fung and he discussed Atkins. He said that one problem people had after being on Atkins for a while was increasing their protein. Too much raises insulin, and he says the problem is insulin, not blood sugar. The blood sugar is a symptom of high insulin levels. The IF lowers insulin levels. I know you have always been on the low side with protein, so that should not be a problem for you.

I also have the book The New Atkins for a New You and I also like it. To me, it is basically the same as the original. I think the reason Jerseygirl doesn't like it is because it was not written by Dr Atkins, but it does use his same principals.

Today DH wanted mac and cheese for lunch. I made it for him from scratch. Lucky for me, he likes it made stove-top and I like it baked. I made too much and I put it in a container and froze it. Right now I am sticking to low carb very well, but one of these days I am going to have an off day and want some carbs, and I will get it out and bake it. It will be a planned, controlled cheat, and will be something I know I really like. One serving, and then I will move on. Also, sometimes I freeze things and then forget about them. Maybe I will not find it for months, then just toss it.

I am working very hard at not eating or snacking between meals, to let my insulin levels go down. Yesterday I only had 1/2 of a glymiperide tablet, half a gram, and none so far today. It increases insulin, and I don't want to take it anymore.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #134  

Carol Sue I went to MFP and put in the amounts of protein for my heighth and the 20 g carbs in the custom percentages plan. The lowest carbs they allow is 5% and then it jumps to 10% no in between so I put in the 5% which allows 19 g, but when I track the exercise it works out fine when I go over the 19 g. I remember in the New Atkins, it said not to worry if you go a little over just not to go more than about 23 g in one day. My protein is set at 30% which comes to about 117 I think it was and the rest is fat g percentages.

My first goal is what they show on 5 weeks for me is 208 so my mini goal is going to be 208. Using MFP makes it easy to plan ahead and to get the right percentage ratio of protein, fat and carbs. I know there will be times when I will have a cheat meal, but I hope to make those very few. I get tired of the ACV right now so I got some White and Red Wine vinegar to sprinkle over salads and I thought I could also use it in the greens I eat.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #135  

Fbs was 96 today.
Mad- I am counting calories and watching carbs and trying to eat clean for the most part.
Closed Thread