Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Mamaduck This is a good place for support. I was diagnosed T2 in May or June and like you I already suspected it. Got it under control and improved numbers within a few months doing Atkins, but just couldn't stick with that strict of carbs especially during the holidays. I've been doing WW new pts plus diet since it came out to get me through the holidays and stayed with it, but now I'm wobbly with it. I've found myself craving sweets lately. So trying to get rid of the cravings doing a combo of low carb/WW thing. I may end up having to go back to total low carb. I will do whatever it takes. My doctor told me that any diet will work... we just have to find what we can live with. You have to learn what works for you and many of us have to learn what that is. The ladies here on this thread have helped me a lot and I know we will all do what we can to help you. Your Mom may be in what is called "The Denial Stage". It is good that you want to get control of your health. I agree there is a lllloooootttt to read. I think one of the smartest things I read was that we need to work with our doctor & nutritionist (never was given one of those), but the main important thing is for you to manage your diabetes yourself. My doctor told me that the people who work at it get it under control and those that don't will not get it under control. He says he can tell who works at it and who doesn't.

Ruthie I don't know about wild goose as I've never had it, but my son shot a wild turkey and brought it home when we lived in the country years ago. We raised turkeys at the time for our holiday celebration. I was amazed at the difference. No white meat on the wild turkey, but no fat either. And the taste was absolutely great. We raised our own chickens and ducks back then. Difference in a store bought and home raised especially duck was unbelievable. I had to throw out the store bought duck because it was so greasy we couldn't stand it and back then people didn't worry about those things much. I have never bought one again. So I hope you get some wild turkey sent home with you and that you enjoy it.

Got up and went to church this mornig. Maybe I should say drug myself to church. I think all the junk carbs I'm coming down from have caught up with me. Any way we started the service and Pastor was just getting into a really good intro to the new series we will be studying the next few weeks and there was a big boom and the lights went out. We meet in the auditorium of the middle school here and a transformer outside the school had blown and caught the dead grass around it own fire. Strange thing & blessing is that it only burned a small section of grass around it. So we had to leave and come home and he promised to pick up where he left off next week. DH and I were just glad it happened when we were having church and not when the school was full of kids. I think it was just on that side of the street so hopefully we can still have small groups class this evening.

Today, I'm eating more of a CAD/CALP way of eating. Was using WW pts plus with it yesterday although I haven't counted them today, although I will be. I decided to combine CAD/CALP (stands for Carbohydrate Addict' Diet/Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program for those who don't know) with the WW Pts + so that I can have the benefit of some good carbs during the Reward Meal (RM) and the benefit of low carbing during the Complimentary Meals and Snacks (CM/CS) with portion control at the same time. I know I'm fighting getting back on Atkin's Induction, but if this works for my blood sugar and weight loss like it did before when I lost almost 75 lbs doing CAD alone that will be great because it will fit into my lifestyle perfectly. The RM also makes it easier eating out on a low carb woe.

Mad, Rosebud, Jewelswa and everybody else reading

Have a great Sunday.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #62  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone, I had a wonderful weekend. Monday is a holiday for us in our province, Family Day, so that was the theme for the weekend. We had a luncheon with cousins to celebrate my aunt's birthday. She is the last of her sisters, and my mother and the other sister, well the three of them were the best of friends. So we, her nieces decided to start a new tradition of taking her out for her birthday. It was a great success, even if we did shed a few tears for those who couldn't be there.
Then DH and I had a drive to Toronto, checked into a nice hotel, had a great dinner and a show. The show was Sandra Shamas, a comedien who is outstanding. If you have ever seen her shows they are hilarious, and real. No put down humour or nasty stuff. She too is going through menopause, and her take on it was really funny. DH was laughing so hard. Was really funny.
Then before we left Toronto this am, had brunch with DD and her partner. Now we are home, making a nice supper for our other daughter.
So the family day weekend is working out nicely, although I don't get tomorrow off.
I have been eating off plan for days though, and am afraid to step on the scale. I have been cooking since we got home, so I will be able to eat atkins this week, and get back on plan.

Trish, I wonder if south beach would be right for you. (have I said this before?) It is a bit higher carb than Atkins, but uses "good carbs" carefully.
Overall, the plan is low carb, or at least lower carb. It seems that atkins isn't quite right for you, or not for living with DH and his needs. Working our eating plans around our family members isn't always easy.

I am so jealous Ruth of have the wild bird for supper, I always enjoy when we get that.
Welcome to our newest friends. Keep us posted on progress.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #63  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

MOMMADUCK ~ glad you joined us here; yes, it takes time to figure things out. I got my blood monitor free from our local pharmacy when I bought the pics and sticks. It may take your mother more time to get things under control becuz some people do have a harder time accepting the diagnosis. Just take it one day at a time ...

RUTH ~ Yes, wild meat is much leaner than store bought: turkey, goose, duck, moose, venison, etc. We had goose that we raised as well as chickens, ducks, and turkeys; and ours were a lot leaner as well. The duck is the fattiest of them all; and sure stinky to clean ... blech!

Just having a quiet weekend at home, since I have to rest this knee for a while longer, but it is feeling better each day. The storm is over and we had some today, but it is -20 C here tonight. Gonna go put put legs up and do some reading for a while. I have this really thick, plush fleece blanket (we actually have two; one is on our bed) that I wrap myself up in. They are the warmest blankets I have ever had.

Yes, tomorrow is a civic holiday here in Ontario. Have a nice week everyone ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-20-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #64  
Madeleine

Damage not too bad, tho I feared, I'm 171, so didn't gain as much as I feared. I think I am not used to huge meals, so didn't overeat as much as I might have. Have many visits to do in the next few days, so have to get going. Had a healthy atkins breakfast, and have some lunch packed, especially since so many things are closed today. Is is presidents' holiday in the US? Reading week for lots of students right now too.
We had some snow last night, and its colder again, but looks good on the weather forecast now. I hope to get to yoga tonight again. I need a good workout.
have a great day friends.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #65  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Survived a delicious Sunday dinner with my friends and also survived a horrible drive home through a storm. It took two hours to go 102 kilometers! It's a good thing we have mailboxes at the side of the road around here.

The turkey was a wild one and was absolutely delicious. Margo served mashed potatoes, stuffing, green peas and carrots with a maple glaze with a dessert related to butter tarts! Eating was tricky. The scale is down another pound today though so no damage done.

Glorious sunshine today after last night's horrorshow. I'd think it was a dream if not for the snow piled at the end of my lane from the plough. There will be some shovelling for exercise later this morning after a gentle 20 minutes on the treadmill. Books on CDs make it much less boring.

Let's all have a mindful week!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #66  

Good Morning everyone! Well I woke up to quite a bit of snow this morning as well. Plowed in outside, guess I'll go out and start shoveling. Hubby made it to work today, but I have a holiday. Fun fun. It's only 1 degree outside and I'm not looking forward to the exercise. Hope your day is warmer...

I'll be back later.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #67  

Good afternoon everyone.

Mad & Ruth Y'all evidently did a good job with your eating while visiting with others and eating out. Good for y'all. Be careful out in that weather.

Mad Yes, I think you mentioned South Beach before and I have thought of it. The only think I don't like about SB is cutting the oil back so far. However, I have done SB with "healthy" oils and it worked very well for me until a joined SBD online and changed some things and it quit working. I think I could go back to doing it the way I did when it was working. I'll see how this other goes first. The thing I see about SBD that might be better than CAD is that SBD spreads the food (carbs) out more throughout the day. I still have all the info that Ruthie so graciously made available to us at SBD thread here at 3fc back then.

Rosebud, Mad and Ruth Hope you enjoyed your civic holiday and stayed warm.

Mamaduck Hope you had a nice President's Day holiday and stayed warm.

I was up late, but made up for it by sleeping in. I wasn't sure who was open and wasn't and I didn't check. I need to go get my nails filled and a pedicure, but decided not to find out if they were opened. I'll get up in the morning and be there at 10am and then I have appointment to get my hair permed tomorrow afternoon at 3:30. So tomorrow will busy and make something easy for main meal. I got up today and put in a chicken to cook like a roasted chick except not all that salty injections. I'll debone it later and save the meat for salads and stirfries. I think I need to take more interet in cooking. I had a lettuce ham and cheese rollup more as a snack than breakfast since I got up so late. Had roasted chicken with salad, sweet potatoes, zucchini and what I call a fruit bowl and drank 1/2 of my allotted wine with the meal. Plan to have either chicken or tuna salad later and at BT will have the rest of my wine. Decided to take the Metformin when I eat the salad.

Nice weather here for a few days warm in the 70s and rain called for Thurs thru Sat. So tomorrow and Wednesday will be nice days for me to get my running done.

Have a nice evening.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #68  

Well, I just went over to the Atkins & SB threads and did some reading. As I read and began to look at some of the low carb foods that I ate back in the summer when I got all my #s under control... BP, FBS etc and I have changed my mind.

I've decided to go back on Atkin's Induction to get rid of the sugar cravings. I decided that if eating a RM each day isn't going to mess a lot of people up with their BS, then eating off once in a while when we go out to eat or whatever isn't going to be a really big problem either unless "I" let it become a problem. I remember in Dana Carpender's book she picked her off meals and planned ahead of time what she was going to eat that was more carby.

So I'm going to work on doing the same thing. Went over to Linda's Low Carb Menus and Recipes site and looked at the recipes. I decided to make some of the Crispy Cheese Crackers snack and even DH liked them. I like them with jalapenos. I'm looking forward to the 1 Minute Muffin in the morning made into a low carb version of the bacon/egg McMuffin type breakfast.

I think starting this tomorrow will work out good for me. As said before, I'm busy tomorrow and Wednesday morning so hopefully if I have the Atkin's flu while withdrawing from carbs it won't hit me until Thursday and hopefully will be gone by Sunday. I am so tired of this disease stealing so much of my life. I didn't make it to my evening class because I had such a bad reaction to my BS going down below 100 which I'm told shouldn't be happening and then before I went to bed it was back up too high. The swings are just too big to let them continue.

Sorry everyone. I guess I'm preaching to my self. Hope y'all don't mind my ranting.

Just
Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #69  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good Morning/Afternoon

Still here just quickly flying by.

Younger DB has been in the hospital this past week. I am his guardian - he is in another city and I am trying to do everything by phone. We did drive up there (3 hours) last week, stayed overnight and got a few things taken care of, but everything is still up in arms.

If he can't go back to his group home, I will try to have him transfered here so I don't have to go through this again.

DH goes back to the hospital again on Thursday, and as we were dropping our dogs of @ doggy dare care to board them overnight, I got a call that my older brother was in the hospital as well.

I think I'm going to sit in the closet for awhile and hide.

Welcome Mommaduck & Jewelswa the ladies here are great.

Be back sometime.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #70  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

LINDY ~ yeppers, when it rains, it pours -- it seems. Am sending up some prayers for all the sick people in your family; and for you for strength at this time. Hang in there; things will get better eventually ...

TRISH ~ that chicken dinner sounded nice; we realize that you are just trying different things out until you find what works for you. Rant away ...

Nice day here; warmer temps -5C. Supposed to get some precip tomorrow; may be yucky -- rain &/ sleet, they say. Oh well, February is almost gone; then comes March and spring is just around the corner ...

Been eating very well this month; having baked fish & probably some sweet tator fries (just a serving though) with coleslaw and sliced tomatoes. Am resting up my leg; the knee felt better today ... yeah!

Have a good week everyone ... Rosebud
Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #71  

Lindyloo Prayers and thoughts coming your way for you and you brothers. You have really been through a lot. I pray everything will be better soon.

Rosebud Thanks for the kind words. The chicken turned out really good. Glad your knee feels better and hope it is healing nicely.

My first day back on Atkins Induction has been really good. I did get sleepy while under the hair dryer getting my perm and dozed off a few times. Hope I didn't mess up my perm.

After I got my nails done this morning, I went to the store to see what they had that might go on a pizza. I usually can't handle pepperoni, but bought a box of them to make the pepperoni chips I read about on Linda's Low Carb site. I also found that they have Canadian bacon in the same size for pizza and got a box of those. I came home and made a low carb pizza today. I took the 1 minute muffin and added onion and garlic powders and Italian seasoning in it and made it in a plate (probably measured about 6-8 inches) then browned both sides in a skillet (I got the idea from a recipe on Linda's LC site); then added the pizza sauce, cheese and Canadian bacon and then enough veggies to be about 5 carb grams and heated in toaster oven for about 10 minutes. Added my jalapenos on one side. It made a nice one equivalent serving of a personal pan pizza. I think the whole pizza came out to around 8.5 carb g. Unusual crust, but very tasty and I was able to have pizza while DH had his regular.

When making my bacon/egg/cheese breakfast muffin equivalent toa McMuffin, I suddenly began to remember the fun I had trying to make or try low carb versions of the carby stuff when I did Atkins before. I realized it could be a challenge, but it could be a fun challenge. As an old friend from back home used to tell us women in Bible study, it's all about "Attitude".

Well, I better get off of here. I have BSF in the morning and still have a full day and half of questions to answer tonight before I go to bed.

Catch y'all sometime tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #72  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Still keeping on keeping on. No big weight drop and FBGL is just great. Next Thursday I go for bloodwork to prepare for my evaluation on Monday and then we'll see if this Victoza has done its job. I'm now on the higher (and final) dose and have been very lucky to have no bad side effects. We'll see how the weightloss is by my doc appointment.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #73  

Quick flyby as I should be walking out door right this minute. FBS this morning is 110 mg/dl down from 152 yesterday. Just 1 day on Atkins Induction. When will I learn? Guess I know what my body is saying to me. Weight is back up to 212.5, but didn't move one way or the other which is usual for me.

Have a good one.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #74  

Left BSF and ran by the store to pick up a few things. Got home and checked my BS before eating anything and it was 92. I am really thrilled with the way the BS has come back down since yesterday.

Ruth and anyone else who the scale isn't moving for right now have you measured or noticed how your clothes are fitting? I'm thinking that if you are watching the carbs maybe you are losing especially inches. Remember that the inches come off faster than the scales go down. I've always heard that this causes us to look like we have lost more than we have. Just a thought.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #75  
Madeleine

hello friends. hope things are getting better in your family, Lindyloo.
Didn't stick to plan yesterday, due to tiredness. But today have been pretty much on plan. Will wait until I have done this for a few days before weighing in again. Work is busy and we expect to be busy all week.
Reading posts, but don't have much to say right now.
best wishes to all.
Closed Thread