Old 09-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #76  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Madeline You should really be proud of you self staying on plan during your parties. Glad you had a good time.

Ruth Don't you just hate it when someone tells you what you should be able to eat. Everyone's body is different in how many and what kinds of carbs they can handle. I was talking to my neighbor last night who is a diabetic and we were talking about eating beans. I can only eat about 1/4 cup with out raising my blood sugar. She says they don't bother her at all. Go figure............

thecandEs Don't you know that pictures always make us look bigger than what we are. Just look how far you have come and where you were. We did not get this way over night and we sure can't change it overnight. Take a deep breath and move on...........

Rosebud Enjoy your time out there but don't over do it. I did not know that they made a battery powered weed eater. What will they think of next.

Now for me. I did so well this past week and was very proud of myself. I exercised 6 days in a row and ate at induction the whole time since Monday. Last night hubby wanted Kentucky Fried Chicken. I told him that I could do that. I did not eat that much but the scale showed I added 2 pounds today. I figure some of that might be water???????? Anyway can't cry over spilled milk. Chalk it up as one of those places I just can't eat. Was trying to be good to DH as he had even offered to eat somewhere that was not as tempting for me. I love that man.

Today is a new day with new choices to be made.
I put a beef roast in the crock pot with potatoes for DH and baby carrots and onions for supper tonight.

Have a good day and be good to yourself.
You deserve it...........

Leann
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everyone,

This is a quick flyby. Busy day reading the other diabetic book trying to get through with it.

Ruth In this book by Gretchen Becker who is a T2 diabetic says that just because one diabetic can eat something doesn't mean another diabetic can. It kind of goes along with the YMMV from mine. It is like I told my doc, I love oatmeal and maybe a lot of diabetics can eat it, but I can't. I had the BS reading of 222mg/dl in front of him to read it. You handled the situation very well. Good for you.

Rosebud I don't like red wine, but I can't drink the vinegar. I need to get the organic from health food store. I know I can do that. However, I made a lettuce, spinach and cheese stick salad and put the vinegar on it. I didn't get the whole 2 T but I believe the little bit I had is helping bring the FBS down. Time will tell.

Leann I always show a little gain when I eat fried chicken in restaurants, but it always comes back down in a day or two. It is probably the seasoning. Just drink a little bit more water to flush it out. I won't eat fried chicken right now, but when I get my BS stable, that will be one of splurges once in a while.

Hope everyone else will have a great Sunday.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #78  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Leann: I am sure the extra weight is just water, its the salty seasoning.
Ruth: who understands why people become food pushers? Its just wrong. Turned out none of my guests last night ate shrimp, and I made a shrimp appetizer, with peanut sauce for dipping. So I gave them crackers, they all enjoyed. I mean, really, would I try to "make" them eat shrimp?
Its also odd how many people try to "make" me drink alcohol. They figure its only ok not to drink if I'm an (admitted) alcoholic. Don't get just choosing not to drink......ack. Good response tho. LOL
Have a nice sunday everyone.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #79  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Quote:
"Have you ever dealt with someone in a diabetic coma?"
Haha, RUTH ~ that's a good one! I will remember it! When I read the menu; I thought ... Oh, Nooo! How do you get around that one? That was a toughie ... but I would have opted for the fish. Next year: Shore Dinner -- either pass or take your own food!

MADELEINE ~ you are doin' great with your dinners! Last Christmas, I put out stuff that I knew that I could have a few and not ruin my day (deluxe mixed nuts, peppered cashews, cheese & olives, dark chocolate-covered almonds, bits & bites for the munchers, and wg crackers, etc). Everyone was tickled with all the nuts ...

CANDES ~ I agree with LEANN; pictures always make us appear at least 15-20 lbs heavier than we actually are. I have a picture of myself a neighbor took of me and I put it in a special place as a reminder to me why I am on this healthy journey. Yes, I was shocked and sad to see it, and yes, I cried too; but I also knew that I was under so much stress at that time. I am actually grateful for that picture: it was one of the things that motivated me to make some good changes -- for ME!!!

TRISH ~ ya, I don't mind a little wine now and then; don't have any red in the house right now though. Sometimes I like a sprinkle of apple cider vinegar on my coleslaw; gives it a very nice twang ...

LEANN ~ I would bet (like Madeleine says) that those 2 lbs are indeed water-weight from the salt & seasonings; and would expect some blips that will go down in a few days anyways. I love that weed-whacker; it is small and light -- even I can use it. DH says the battery weighs more than it does; I think he's right!

I think that some diabetics on insulin and other meds do eat pasta, oatmeal, and sugar even. I was told the same thing; but I think that each of us is different and can tailor our menu to what works best for us. I can have a small new potato with skin and I'm fine; same with a bit of corn or peas. It mostly seems to be what I have for my snacks that make a big difference now, especially in the evenings.

Of course, I have changed the way we eat so much that it is almost hard for me to recall what we ate 5+ years ago; but that's OK too. We have cut out the worst offenders and that is what matters; and we have cut our servings down considerably as well, and that is another thing that has made a huge difference. We eat much healthier overall now ...

We just stayed home today and took it easy; had a good sleep last night and so I felt much better this morning. I tossed in one load of laundry today; just some throws that needed doing. We had leftover roast chicken and veggies for dinner tonight; and I also baked up some rhubarb with apples, that needed using up too.

Have a great week everyone ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-19-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #80  

CandEs I know how you feel about pictures, but you said you've lost the 15lbs since the picture so give yourself an A+ for losing that 15 lbs remembering that you've done something good for yourself... and you lost instead of gaining. I hope you are feeling better today.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #81  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quick check-in today. Reality is striking and telling me I won't be in the 180's by Italy time so my goal over the next ten days will be to hold the line on weight and BGL.

Cooked a proper Sunday dinner yesterday - it's easy to not cook when you are by yourself. The pork roast was very, very dry - way too lean, I guess. Now I'm stuck with a hunk of cooked meat. Any suggestions?

I did OK over the weekend. Now to stride through the week. Water, protein, veggies and exercise are the prescription. Add fruit to that as the local apples and fall raspberries have arrived!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #82  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Ok so this is a new day with better choices to be made.

I have had my good breakfast and did my exercising this morning.

Last night after supper all I could do was snack. For supper had a beef roast that I cooked in the crock pot with half of a small potato, some baby carrots and a small onion. After supper had some picked beets, ham and cheese roll up, 2 dill pickle spears, pork rinds, 2 no sugar added popsicles and a few bit and pieces of melba toast. It must be going to be TOM again.

Anyway can't do that again today. When I had gotten on the scale this morning I had dropped down to 147 again. So I guess it did not hurt me to bad. I did not check my blood sugar last night because I was afraid of what it would say. This morning fasting was 106.

Need to plan better meals. Had to many starchy veggies last night. I cooked up some yellow summer squash yesterday. Part of it steamed and part roasted. Then roasted some okra. That will give me a couple of choices this week besides salad and fresh veggies this week.

I plan on making stuffed green peppers for supper tonight but instead of rice I am going to use 1 cup of couscous for 4 peppers. Will have a nice salad with it.

Have a good day
Leann
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #83  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Ruth: it seems like we have to lose our weight slowly, keeping sugars normal is more important than weight loss, or at least quick losses. We can't lose weight in the same way as others, and we have to balance things carefully.
I know your holiday is a foodie thing, but often we get lots of walking on trips to Europe. I know I lost a couple of pounds and inches when I went to Scotland, in spite of plenty of beer and cider, eating out, including fish and chips etc. But I walked about 10 miles every day. At least 2-3 hours of walking the whole time. Really helped. I wasn't pre-diabetic then, but it was my first start into my weight loss journey, happened quite by accident.
So walk and that will help your sugars and keep the waist line in line!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #84  

Ruth I know what you mean about cooking for one. DH and I don't always eat the same things and it is difficult to decide what to fix for just me. We are both diabetic, use different diets. I went today and got me a roasted chicken so I will have protein for salad, stirfry and soups for me to eat. As for your pork roast, have you ever tried making a soup out of it? I did that one time and it was good.

Leann Your supper yesterday sounds great. I do love beef roast. Probably my favorite since I started lowcarb. Isn't strange how we can think we've blown it and find we've lost weight the next day. I've done that and wondered how that could be. Congratulations on the weight loss, and the low blood sugar this morning.

Stayded up too late this morning and then got up and had to go get DH prescription from drs office and take it to the pharmacy. They wer closing for lunch so I told them I would pickup the meds tomorrow. Got home and realized I needed to order my Metformin so will get all our meds tomorrow.
While out I went to the health food store and got the orgnic apple cider vinegar and found some other things I decided to get. I found a package of Stevia for cooking and got it. I've got me some homemade lc candy in the freezer. I got some recipes off of Linda' Low Carb Menus & Recipe site. That way I won't be using the protein bars.

fatmad You are right on about the weight coming off slowly. I see a lower number for days before it becomes a permanent thing. Saw 213.5 this morning but can't count it yet because it may be a week before I see it again. My FBS is good and I'm sure will be pleasing to the doc, but I won't be happy with it until it is below 100. Just hope I can get it there. I'm seeing below 110 from time to time, but not consistent yet.

CandEs and others reading

Y'all have a good evening.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #85  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ my weight is coming off very slow now too; but that is OK with me ... I figure the slower it comes off, the longer it will stay off too. So far, that seems to be working. I am still losing inches all the time as well; so the early AM toning exercises are really helping me a lot. I am slowly moving down the size #'s and that is my goal.

Ate good today; have been a bit hungry myself lately -- makes me wonder if TOM is on its way again too. I always get hungry just before it arrives and during as well. We had Shepherd's pie for dinner tonight; I had a small bit of salad with mine as well. Sure fills you up; I think my stomach must be shrinking (on the inside too) as since I cut down our portions, I feel fuller much faster than before ... and I am happy about it too!

WE had another lovely day with temps in the 60's. A lovely young Whiskey Jack (grayjay) came by around dinner time and was filling her gullet with some food to take back to her home. A blackbird tried to chase her away; but she was patient and just waited on the rooftop until they thought she was gone -- then she swooped down and grabbed a bunch more before leaving for the night.

Just had a quiet day at home today, doing stuff around here; hope you all have a great week ... Rosebud
Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #86  
Come on Spring!

Brrrr ... I hope we dodged the frost last night but it's sure cold in here. I guess turning the furnace down instead of OFF would make things better. Duh!

Patty, thanks for the soup suggestion. I may try that - maybe with Swiss chard. I love having a stash of soup in the freezer and have even had it for breakfast.

Low BGL of 3.2 again this morning so I've had some milk mixed with real gingerale. I usually do the OJ and gingerale but had no OJ. An omelet with peppers and ½ a potato is on the rest of the menu this morning. Today I get my veggie Good Food Box and hope it inspires me for dinner. I may do chicken livers with mushrooms and peppers with quinoa, my new grain love.

Have a good Tuesday and let's keep on track.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #87  
Rosebud

Had hot cereal for breakfast today; and made veggie-lentil/bean soup for lunch -- it was sooo good and perfect for a cold, wet day like today. We were awaken by a huge thunderstorm early this AM; lots of lightening too. Had to disconnect my PC until this afternoon. Probably have something baked for dinner tonight (like fish or chicken).

RUTH ~ I use leftover roast meat in soups all the time; and on sandwiches sometimes (even if it's just half a one). It makes lots of healthy meals that way too. I made some homemade soup today too. We can't get quinoa here, but I put a bit of barley in my soup today for a grain.

The is now peaking through our kitchen window; that might help warm things up a bit. We took our air conditioners out this morning as the wind was howling here all night too. Pretty sure fall is here now ...

Have a great week ... Rosebud
Old 09-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #88  
Come on Spring!

A gloomy, cool and wet morning but the good news is that the scale finally budged a pound and BGL is just fine. When I'm away, I'll be focusing on BGL, rather than pounds, but ti's nice to know I'm not stuck.

I tackled the dried up pork yesterday and made a taco filling. It was quite yummy wrapped in frilly lettuce leaves. I've frozen the rest in meal-sized portions and may try it next on small ww tortillas when I get some. I also ended up with three huge cauliflowers leftover from the Good Food Box. Those will be frozen and blanched today. I had chicken breast, cauliflower and chard for dinner last night. I think I'm getting back into cooking mode.

Exercise isn't happening much. I am having pain in my legs in the early morning. The doc says the nerves are regenerating in the leg that was operated on. That was more than two years ago but I guess I'll believe him.

Enjoy the first day of autumn - the blue and gold time.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #89  

A quick flyby this morning. Things are going good. No real exercise, but staying busy moving around more. Been getting out and going shopping etc without DH while he sleeps in the mornings. I've decided that I need to be more independent. When my second husband died, I decided that I would never get so dependent on one again. However, I think it is easy to get dependent. Tony is a home person and I was one who like to get out and go places, so I'm breaking out of this sedentary life I've developed in the past 7 yrs. I've had a busy week and the rest of the week is the same. BSF this morning, DH has drs appt this afternoon with cardiologist, we both have drs appts with primary Friday and I'm getting a perm Saturday. Then things start over Sunday.

It has been warm here and will be until Saturday or Sunday then it is supposed to get a little cooler. Of course they always tell us that and then change it to hot.

Ruth Glad the scale has moved for you and BGL is good too. I think you should enjoy your trip to Itally and do the best you can. I'm sure you will do fine.

Y'all have a great day and I'll check in again when I can.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #90  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Thanks, everyone! I was really depressed to see that picture, and I'm trying to put it behind me (no pun intended). Thanks for understanding!

Trish, get out and do something fun! I know what you mean about hot. It's been crazy hot here.

Ruth, a pound lost is a pound lost! I would take it right now. lol Hope your leg feels better soon.

Rosebud, send us the rain! It's been so hot here with no rain. Our trees are dying.

Well, it's time to think about dinner. Y'all have a great evening!
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote