Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #1  
Dying to be Thin

Exclamation Fasting

Is juicy juice okay for a juice fast of 2wks?
Old 08-21-2005, 05:26 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Juice fast for 2 weeks, why?

Just be sure to have plenty of toilet paper on hand because your headed down hershey highway
Old 08-21-2005, 05:47 PM   #3  
it's always something

That about sums up what a juice fast is good for But it's not good for dieting. Juice fasts are a bad fad and should be avoided. You'll lose a lot of water and "solids", but as soon as you have your first real meal, your body will replace both. You'll be missing almost all of the nutrients your body needs, too. I personally wouldn't recommend a juice fast for 3 days, let alone 2 weeks.

If you do decide to follow something so extreme, please consult your doctor first.

Kara, I noticed that you posted in another thread that you were upset about gaining so much weight during your pregnancy, and you were desperate to lose weight fast, and was considering fasting. I do hope you'll reconsider this, because this will not help you. Quick weight loss comes back just as quick, and usually bring friends with it We've all been down that route before, and have learned the hard way that it never works. The best thing you can do for your health and weight is to take a more balanced approach. Go to the library and check out a good book on dieting. Or check our "Calorie Counters' forum for tips on losing weight the old fashioned way - by eating real foods, but watching portions and keeping track of your food intake. You probably need AT LEAST 1200 calories per day, maybe more. Add exercise to complete the routine, and you are on your way to your goal weight and it will stay off

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #4  
Dying to be Thin

Smile

I will be prepared for the Hershey Highway -- That is even better then .. getting rid of all that also .. and I've heard about you gaining the weight back just as easily as you did losing it by fasting but once I hit the weight I wanna be at by fasting, I will simply exercise like I should and eat healthy .. if someone REALLY wants to keep the weight off after the fasting period, it can be done ..
Old 08-21-2005, 06:17 PM   #5  
ONE DAY AT A TIME

Two weeks is a very long time to just drink juice! What about vitiams and protien? I think you should really, think about a different approach. Maybe a set menu for the 2 weeks, if you have enough willpower and strenght to just drink juice for two weeks you should be able to eat the same thing everyday for two weeks. Maybe, 1 hard boiled egg and 1 piece of light dry toast for breakfast, a huge salad with FF salad dressing or oil and viniger for lunch, and Steamed veggies and a small piece of grilled chicken for dinner!! i hope you do it healthy!!!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:28 PM   #6  

No, actually, keeping weight off after fasting, especially fasting for more than a few days, is MUCH HARDER than if you lost it sensibly. First, as already mentioned, a lot of the "weight" you lose will be water and solid waste. As soon as you start eating again, even if you "eat healthy" the water will come back as your body replenishes its fuel stores, and the solid waste will return to its normal levels. So, your scale will jump back up in a few days on that account alone. Second, when you fast you send your body into panic mode. For one thing, it's not getting all of the types of fuel it needs, so it starts burning not only fat but muscle tissue to get everything it needs -- you start cannibalizing your own body. The loss of muscle AND the fast itself cause your metabolism to slow down. The less muscle you have, the fewer calories you need to sustain your weight. In addition, all the systems in your body slow down and try to get by on fewer calories. It gets super-efficient to provide all the functions necessary on as few calories as possible. So, when you are ready to start eating again, your body has learned to get by on very little, much less than if you had simply cut calories to a reasonable level. So, you might find you gain weight on a LOT fewer calories than before. And guess what? That muscle doesn't come back without a lot of work, and when the weight comes back, it's all fat. So, you might wind up at 135, but it will be a LARGER 135 than you were before, because you have more fat and less muscle, and the fat takes up more space than the muscle did.

By depriving your body of protein, fat, fiber and all of the other nutrients in a well-balance diet, you are basically damaging your body to a degree that's difficult to justify. Your resistance to infection is much lower, your energy levels will suffer tremendously, your hair and skin will become dry and brittle -- your hair may even fall out. Your organs will not get the nutrients they need to function properly, and you could even cause damage.

All of these physiological effects of fasting and weight don't even take into consideration the psychological effects. Most people find it difficult if not impossible to sustain the fast for long enough to gain the desired effects, and even if they do, they find it difficult to eat in any type of restrained manner. Face it -- if you can't eat in a sensible way NOW, what makes you think you can do so after a fast, when every cell and hormone in your body is screaming at you to eat as much as possible? Your body not only wants to replace what it lost, but it wants to stock up in preparation for the next famine. Not only that, but if you are pre-disposed to obessessive-compulsive types of behaviors, you could be become hooked on the food deprivation mind games and develop a full-fledged eating disorder. Eating disorders ruin lives and even kill people.

Is getting thin quickly more important than having the energy and physical and mental health to take care of your baby?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:51 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

EXCELLENT post funniegirl very well said !! A juice fast is the easy way out and it doesn't work at all...

I also agree with funniegrrl, what about your baby if you are not healthy for a while, even only 2 week? Because you WILL be tired, lethargic, impatient with everyone including your baby who needs you more than ever. Now don't get me started if you are nursing your baby, where will the poor thing get it's nutrients...

Please listen to us....
Old 08-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #8  
Dying to be Thin

The "baby" is 14mons -- he eats the same kinds of food that everyone else does, sweety -- I never did breastfeed .. (well maybe for a couple days, but it didn't work out) .. so, he will be fine, thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 07:16 PM   #9  
ONE DAY AT A TIME

It sounds like you have a very nasty attitude, and all we are doing is tring to give some advice, that is why you are at this website, right? If your not going to take the advice or even consider it, why did you start this fourm? Nothing can be that bad that you have to be nasty.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #10  
Dying to be Thin

No attitude .. just thought that was kind of silly to think that I didn't have my little boy in mind when I was planning this ..
Old 08-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #11  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Gottobethin- I see you are from Missouri too I am just a few miles out of Poplar Bluff Mo close to Quilin

On the fasting...I tend to take the opinions as the other ladies, I did do the South Beach Diet a month ago though and phase one was REALLY great as far as my weightloss went, It has a 14 day Phase one you might like, I know I did
Hope whatever you decide works well for you ...but please take care of yourself and be safe, there is only one you
Old 08-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Just eat healthy and exercise is all we are telling you ... It may take longer but will be better for YOU in the long run because YOU take care of your child
Old 08-22-2005, 01:35 AM   #13  
Dying to be Thin

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian
Gottobethin- I see you are from Missouri too I am just a few miles out of Poplar Bluff Mo close to Quilin
Ooh .. Poplar Bluff .. yes yes -- anyway .. thanks for all the opinions expressed -- I appreciate 'em
Old 08-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #14  

GOT: I did a 14 day cleansing fast using lemon juice and maple syrup. I did lose well, like 16 pounds (but I have like 100 to lose!) and I felt great. Unfortunately, the weight all came back. I was hoping to keep it off, and have that jumpstart my losing, but it did not work out that way. Juicy Juice is not a good thing to pick for a juice fast. You need to juice your own fruits and vegetables to get the vitamins, minerals and enzymes that are touted as the benefits of juice fasting. The first few days are HE**, so be aware if you decide to do it, that you will need someone to run after your 14mo old for you, you will not feel like it. When I did it, all I could do for three or four days was sleep. As I said, I lost 16 pounds, and was pretty pleased about that, but after two weeks, I was back up to the original weight, eating very according to plan. That was a few months ago. I have since read a book called Mastering Leptin, that has really opened my eyes to why I have such a hard time losing weight, and how I damaged my metabolism when I was younger with the yo-yo dieting. Before you undertake a fast, I highly recommend you read that book.

I jumped in here, because I experienced what some of the ladies were telling you. A fast is not a good way to try and lose. You will lose more quickly and permanently on a protein fast, or fat fast, and a juice fast is most beneficial if you are being very careful about the quality of the juice you are ingesting. (ie use organic produce, and drink it straight from the juicer) I hope you all don't mind my jumping in....
Old 08-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #15  

Fasting puts your body in starvation mode... which if you read any diet book... is NOT good at all!! That is one good way to sabotage (sp?) your metabolism!!! And in the long run could make any weight loss very hard to succeed! Not only that but depending on many different health issues etc (even the health issues you may have and not yet know about, or may get at an older age etc) this could drag you down where you won't even be able to take care of yourself let alone your child. I personally feel that fasting is a bad idea and it could cause some serious illness's etc. If you want to lose weight the healthy way and keep it off I suggest you NOT do this!! You will be making your situation worse in the long run.
Closed Thread