Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #31  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the votes of concern, everyone. I just got back from seeing my internist: my physical exam is normal and so is my EKG. If that had been a heart attack, there would be changes in the EKG. So it was probably angina, just like I thought. I have an app't to see a cardiologist soon and get a repeat stress test. (My last stress test was normal.) I guess I'll hold off on any intense cardio exercise until I've had the stress test. In the meantime my doc has put me on a beta-blocker to lower my heart rate and take some of the stress off my heart. He says it will be up to the cardiologist whether to give me some nitroglycerin, in case it happens again.

And my doc was thrilled by my weight loss! It's been 40 pounds since the last time i saw him. He shook my hand twice, saying, "Congratulations!" and "That's really impressive!" That made me feel good, to hear that from someone in person. My husband supports me a lot, but it's hard for him to appreciate the change, since he sees me every day.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 209/191/135

Height: 5 foot 6

At work so super speedy update then tonight ill come and check in on everyone .

Full blown breakdown last night. BF had to keep telling me to take deep breathes and calm down it was ugly. Then we discussed that after 2 weeks on this dose and over a month on this meds they seem ineffective. Called doc this morning and will be going to see her in a couple hours.

I know this drugs not right but I hate this merry ground. Lexapro completely numbed me and I spent years having no real emotions and gaining a ton of weight, pristiq made my heart beat crazy and my head feel totally off like foggy and in lala land. Viibryd causes mild stomach issues which I could handle but it seems to maybe help 10 percent.

Ugh!!!!! Supposed to as about prozac as its good with ocd and can have less weight gain but who knows.

Wish me luck. That and that the illnesses im obsessing over the doctor will say arent worth my thoughts.

Xoxo checking in later.
LawGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #33  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Talking I finally did it!

Well, after doing no cardio Saturday and Sunday, I finally walked on the treadmill for 35 minutes just a little while ago! Hip, hip, hooray!!! It is about -6 degrees here today and the kids were off school today and will be off tomorrow, too, because of the bitter cold temperatures. We are staying indoors as much as possible. It is supposed to be even colder tomorrow. But my daughter is supposed to work out with our trainer tomorrow afternoon, so we will most likely brave the weather for that, unless our trainer cancels. I will do my cardio at the gym while DD works out with the trainer. My food has been great lately, but nibbling at night is still a problem, so definitely not perfect.

Holly: Your boss sounds like a real jerk!!! Sorry, but it's true! Good that the deli provides secure work for you, though. Just be sure to stand YOUR ground with him!!! Or else tell him that your "fat chick friends" will be coming in to deal with him!!!

Run4three: Great to hear from you again! No, it's not just you about taking care of everyone else but yourself!!! I am working to change that, though, because it really is true that the better care we take of ourselves, the more we will have to offer others. Glad to hear that you are feeling pretty good, despite your bad weather! I am sending you some sunshine!

Fi: SO, SO happy to hear that everything checked out okay, but also glad that you will follow up with a cardiologist, just to make sure. How great that your doctor was impressed with your weight loss!!! It is always nice to know someone notices!!!

LawGirl88: So sorry to hear about your breakdown! It does sound like your medication isn't working. I'll be anxious and waiting to hear what your doctor says. Please keep us posted. I understand about hating the merry-go-round with meds. I had to go through a lot before finding the right combo of meds for me. Hang in there! You will get the help you need as long as you keep pursuing it. Best of luck to you with everything!!!

Waving hello to everyone else!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #34  
living in the moment

S/C/G: 100kg/81.2kg/58kg

Height: 158cm

hi everyone.

now listen i'm getting angina attacks now…because i'm reading vermontmom's post!

i can't stand it. i'm goona come over there and rip his bloody arms off, in a miinute!

fi, get a qualified opinion, eh?

stay warm…i'll send some fine weather your way too!. i'm hanging out the washing today …it's so fabulous outside (sorry to make you jealous hehe).

when i bring it in, and water the petunias (which happen to be cascading at the moment) i'll blow over a few of the fluffy white clouds that are decorating our blue skies!

love to all

saraphin

Last edited by saraphin; 01-06-2014 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spacing
saraphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #35  

Fiona So scary. Good job staying calm though and I'm so glad everything showed up okay on your doctor stuff so far hopefully they can give you medication to manage it. And your doctors right to high five you you're rocking it!!!

ibelieve Yay for your cardio so proud of you guys finding was to exercise despite your major crazy weather!!!! How old are your kids are they going store crazy or old enough to stay entertained.

Doctors appreciate went well she's so kind and just wants to help me find a solution. Weren't trying yet another SSRI as she agreed a meltdown and a sad crying episode in one day are not equivalent to working meds.

actually feeling pretty good this evening and think I can start recording my calories and just making all sorts of positive changes tomorrow. This sadness derailed me quite a bit from actively working towards weight loss but now that the weight has stopped magically dropping off its my turn to put in the time.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #36  
Keeping it off

Height: 5" 2'

Good morning friends! It is crazy that the weather can swing from -20 to 53 to 8 in 36 hours!! Welcome to Vermont, right, VermontMom? We are seriously covered in ice - everywhere!! I've skating on rinks that weren't as smooth as parking lots and driveways are!!

LawGirl - keep talking and working with your doc. I am really sorry you are having a hard time finding regulators that work. I went through this for years as well, it sucks. Don't give up, be honest about how you feel, and keep advocating for yourself! Also, you may not find a single remedy but may need a 'cocktail'. I am currently fairly well managed, but am on 2 different rxs one I take at night, one in morn, to counteract various side effects each give me. I hate being chemically enhanced, but I hate depression and anxiety more. I am a much better wife and mom now. Sending lots of love and hugs.

Fi: You are a rock star! Great job staying focused about trying to find answers to your previous attack without letting it consume you and spiral down. AND kudos from the doc for your weight loss is tremendous!! You deserve it. 40 lbs baby!

IBelieve: keep it up! Treadmill on!
Run4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 198/190/135

Height: 5'6

hi all, I am sorry that I can't be more active on here. working full time and having about an hour drive to/from work is very time consuming.

Kathleen, thank you as always for your wonderful support. I am always encouraged to hear you are doing your cardio, it helps to remind me to do mine(even if I don't get to it!!).

Fi: Congratulations on having your writing published! And 40 lbs! recognition for hard work is soo nice to receive. It is always really helpful to me to hear what you have to say, especially since you go through books like crazy! Your insight is so clear. I am sorry to hear about your angina, but am glad that your test results have been good so far. Always thinking good thoughts for you, even when I am not able to post.

Lawgirl: I really feel for you! I wish that I had some good advice, but the only thing I can offer is to keep trying.

I have decided to apply for the greenhouse grower assistant position that I found. A friend reminded me that an interview is for both the employer, and for me! We will see what comes of it.

After doing more physical stuff at work yesterday instead of just sitting in front of a computer all day, I really realized how important it is for me to be active during the day. My cognition was higher, and I was so much more productive. I talked to my partner about it, and though he is apprehensive about the loss of income that may come with it, I know that he would like me to be able to earn my living doing something that really brings me joy. I did completely break down and hide under a blanket last night after we talked about it though, it was really difficult for me to bring it up.

Because of my mood stabilizer and the celexa, I constantly feel like I'm trying to think through a cloud of pudding. as my celexa dose has dropped, some clarity has come back to me, but it is packed with anxiety now! I thought the welbutrin was working ok, but the last several weeks have really made me doubt that any of my medications are doing what they are supposed to. its time to go back to the dr. i guess.
CDubsGotGoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #38  
rockin' my 60s!

I just wanted to say I'm doing fine—slowly getting over being freaked out by my chest pain episode. Thanks again for all the support!

Y'all might be amused by my two latest collages on the theme of wacky New Year's resolutions: they're here and here.

Sorry I don't have the energy to respond to y'all individually tonight, but I'm reading your postings and thinking good thoughts in your direction!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #39  
I can do it!!!

Smile Hello!

Got my cardio in this afternoon while my daughter worked out with our trainer. I work out with the trainer Wednesday morning. The worst part will be going out in these cold temps, although it is supposed to get a bit warmer tomorrow. The kids have been off school Monday and Tuesday due to bitter cold temps. So they have been off since before Christmas. Back at it tomorrow! I have a bunch of stuff to return from Christmas that I have put off until they are back in school, so I plan to do much (or all) of that tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday. I always procrastinate on returning things. I hate it. But it needs to get done. Eating was good today, except a bag of 100 calorie popcorn and 2 sugar-free fudge pops late tonight (like just now). I really need to get a grip on night-time eating! I haven't weighed myself in awhile. Keep forgetting to do it first thing in the morning. Hoping for that scale to budge down soon!!!

saraphin: Enjoy every minute of your nice weather!!! Yes, I am jealous! I think we should turn you loose on Holly's (VermontMom's) boss!!! That, I would like to see!

LawGirl88: My kids are 17 and 14, so they pretty much entertain themselves. They have loved having a few extra days off of school. But it's back to the drawing board tomorrow! Did you say you ARE or aren't trying another SSRI? Regardless, I hope you get your medication situation working for you soon! Keep plugging away at it and you WILL find the med combo that's right for YOU. As Run4three said, you might need a "cocktail" of meds (rather than a single med) to get where you want/need to be. Don't give up!

Run4three: Wow, your weather sounds even crazier than ours right now! -20 is just RIDICULOUS!!! Be careful on that ice! Thanks for the encouragement on my cardio!

CDubs: It is great to hear from you! Don't worry about how often you post. Just do what you can! We understand! Good luck on the greenhouse grower assistant position! Please keep us posted on how things go with it. It sounds like you had some great revelations about being more active at work and how it affects your productivity. Good for you for discussing it with your partner, despite it being difficult. You crack me up on hiding under your blankets! I've been known to hide under my blankets, too, during stressful times! I hope you get your meds figured out!

Fi: Thanks for checking in! I will check out your latest collages tomorrow. Gotta hit the sack now.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #40  

run4Thanks for the support!! It seems my body responds very well to a loooow dose do meds so I believe that's why we haven't done much of a combo other then the as needed benzo which they hate prescribing. Hopefully we will find a solution and one without the lethargic blah and excessive weight that came with lexapeo.

cdubsGo for that interview and kick some you know what. It's so important to have a position you enjoy it'll make it so much easy to stay happy and keep making progress with your weight. I just noticed were around the same weight and height and have the same goal yay buddies!

ibelieve Yay for your cardio and fighting the cold. So awesome. And good luck with the returns maybe you'll find something special for yourself in the process. Haha I'm the chubby girl who still has a shopping problem just not with clothes so I'm probably a bad example.

So today kinda kicked booty. I mean I could have been 100 times better but it was sooooo much better then anyway I've had lately. Therapist confronted me about not making the efforts myself to go to the gym and treat the anxiety with something within my own control so I went. I rode the elliptical for an hour got wrapped up in a silly dr Phil episode and walked to and front he gym (not far at all) and to the store twice. Guess as powerless as I feel I do have some control over this stuff!!!

Last edited by LawGirl88; 01-08-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #41  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Hello all.

I'm not depressed right now and don't expect to be a for awhile but i have a long history of depression. And have been working on personal growth since 1997 to tackle it and everything else.

My weight's always gone up and down. I joined this site a few days ago. I"m using it a fair bit to make procrastinating easier . But i also started a new diet around new years.

I thought it a good time to decided that 2014 should be a year long effort to get down to my goal weight and stay there, get fit and try to just generally become a healthier person for more than just a few months as is my usual way.

I'm keeping a food log in the vegetarian section as i am on the whole a vegetarian.

I've been a long time member of depression website. But i'im starting a business this year so i don't expect to be depressed for a while.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #42  
on a journey

Hello everyone,

I haven't checked in all month. My weight's up, I need to start doing some work out videos or something? I haven't been this heavy in a long time. My motivation is really low though. How can that be though? YOU'd think I'd be so motivated to get going considering my weight being so bad.

Stress levels have been up. I have had an infected finger, it had to be drained. It was pretty gross. Money is still tight even though I am working. My anxiety is still bothering me, meds are working and helping me to a certain extent but they never control all of the anxiety.

I will try to come back and post more. I think it would help me to share my anxieties with you all.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #43  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome!

Pattience: to our group! I am happy that you found us here and that you aren't depressed right now. I am in such a better place now than when I started this journey with depression and anxiety and meds. Unfortunately, I am still carrying the excess weight that the meds put on me and I seem to be incredibly weight-loss resistant due to the meds I am currently on. I recently weaned down on Abilify, but my doctor doesn't want me to go below 15mg right now. I am also on Buspar for anxiety and Effexor (anti-depressant). Good luck to you with starting your new business and on your weight loss journey! Keeping a food log will help. I am keeping track of my food and exercise in a journal. Stick with it and keep on posting! That helps, too!

ohiofreespirit: to you, too! It is nice to have a fellow Ohioan on board! How do you like our weather lately? My daughter just went back to school (8th grade) today! After Christmas break, they were off for bitter cold temps Monday and Tuesday and then her school had a water main break yesterday morning, which forced them to cancel school. She is lovin' going back to a 2-day week! I aactually like snow, but can't stand these bitter cold temps, so winter is my least favorite season. I am at my all-time high weight and I, too, struggled with motivation for a long time. I've learned that it can't be forced. You need to consider if and why you truly want to lose the weight and want those things more than you want your current lifestyle that results in being overweight. At least that's how it is for me. We get certain pay-offs by staying overweight (like eating whatever we want; not exercising; etc) and ~ as long as those pay-offs outweigh the pay-offs of being thin, we stay the same. Try to really visualize yourself and your life at a healthy weight..... and make that vision more enticing than your current lifestyle. Maybe that would help your motivation? Just trying to help and share what is currently helping me to keep my motivation up. Also, try "acting as if" you WANT to be thin ~ and taking the steps toward better health ~ until it becomes your reality. The ol' "fake it til you make it" principle. I am sending you some in the meantime! You can do this! Keep on posting in this group and we will do our best to support you.

LawGirl88: Great job getting to the gym and riding the elliptical and walking lots, too! You should be proud of yourself! Glad that you were able to meet with your therapist and get some guidance ~ and YOU followed through by DOING IT!!! You go girl!!! You are NOT powerless over this stuff, as you PROVED to yourself when you "just did it" and went to the gym and worked out! Glad that it helped you feel a sense of control. You are funny about me finding something for myself while returning Christmas items. Yes, half the time I return things, I end up spending more money than I originally did in the store! Shopping can certainly be a good distraction and an addiction. I just call it retail therapy. It usually lifts my mood...... unless I get depressed while trying on clothes. Then it makes my mood worse.

Waving hello to everyone else! Hope all is well with everyone!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #44  

Smile Bipolar and Weightloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain walker View Post
Does ups and downs mean Bipolar (which I am ) or up and down in the weight department....which I am too????
Hi Mountain Walker, I have seen your post and would like to recommend Herbalife to help with your weight loss, I lost 4 stones in 7months and I was constantly gaining losing and just yo-yoing constantly until my friend recommended Herbalife at first I thought she was trying to make money out of me until I realised that I felt great! As well as the Herbalife I was also taking my meds and I felt so full of energy and was losing weight rapidly! I am now still taking Herbalife and have took up running, and guide people along the way now by distributing Herbalife at a non commission price! im not out to make money im out to help people that were in the same situation as me and help build confidence!! I hope this helps you, feel free to message me at anytime just for a chat or for more info

cheryll
herbalifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #45  
rockin' my 60s!

Finally getting the chance to write a proper posting...I'm quite a bit calmer about my angina episode now that I have an action plan: (1) workup with cardiologist later this month; (2) go to an E.R. if, Goddess forbid, it happens again!

My moods are pretty good these days. I've started a habit of tracking them in my day planner—just jotting a quick number rating for morning, afternoon & evening every day. I find it helps me keep perspective when I feel like I'm going through a rough time, and is very helpful for my shrink to look at, of course. Mostly I have trouble in the afternoons: there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about the daily dip around 1-5 PM. Although some days I'm pretty good: I'm writing this posting at 2 PM.

Dietwise, I continue to find it SO much easier to stay on plan since I read Kathryn Hansen's Brain Over Binge and started using her technique for resisting urges to eat what I shouldn't. My "binges" were never as extensive as Hansen's—sometimes a "binge" was just a few cookies—but her technique works just as well for mild binges and garden-variety overeating. If any of y'all have issues with cravings for food you know you shouldn't eat, I highly recommend her book. Her technique just gives me a sense of being more in control—not in a rigid, restricting kind of way, but in a way that's like being in the driver's seat, controlling where my life is going.

Trish— 'Haven't heard from you in a while, girl! If you're still reading this thread, I want you to know that I'm thinking about you—wondering what's up and wishing you well.

ohiofreespirit— Welcome to Ups & Downs! Even before you get motivated, I think you'll find that posting every day, whenever possible, will help you get the ball rolling. I find, myself, that if I just start making changes in my diet and exercise levels, however small, that the motivation will come into place later. The old Nike "Just do it!" has a good bit of wisdom in it.

Patience— Welcome on board! I like your user name: patience is so important, isn't it? Please don't think of yourself as "procrastinating" if you've started posting here, especially not if you're keeping a food log! Once we start documenting our behavior, even if we haven't made any overt changes yet, the process of getting more healthy has begun. And you certainly don't need to be depressed in the here and now to find this a supportive place to hang out. I look forward to reading more of your postings! What kind of business are you starting? Don't forget that even "good stress," like getting something going that you care about, still counts as stress, so be sure to take extra good care of yourself during this time.

LawGirl88— Congratulations on the positive changes you're making in diet & exercise! Those pounds coming off will keep your spirits up and you'll be more motivated to exercise, which is also good for your mood, and so on in a self-reinforcing cycle.

Kathleen— Here's a thought about your nighttime eating: Why don't you try setting a definite time after which you're not going to eat anything, and then, when the urges come on, just separate yourself from them and remind yourself that you are the one in control, not that food that seems to be calling your name. I like Brooke Castillo's distinction between what you want vs. what you feel: tell yourself that you want to start a plan of no eating after such-&-such a time, even if you feel like reaching for the munchies. There's no reason why "I feel like eating" has to win the argument. Just observe your feelings, let them squawk all they want, but stay fixed in your mind about what you want. And you could set a mini-goal of going 30 days without any nighttime eating, and put it in your postings, or your signature, so you can give yourself credit for how many days you've gone so far. Give it a whirl...

Chelsea— Good for you that you've identified what makes you feel better, and are taking steps to make a change in your job situation! I have a dear friend who works for a gardening supply company, and she always talks about the positive effect on her mood from being around plants all day long.

Run4three— Thanks so much for the supportive comments! I wouldn't worry so much about being "chemically enhanced," if I were you: we are all quite fortunate to have these medications that help us be more at peace and to function better. I think of myself as more the "real me" when I am taking my psychotropic meds than I would be if I were suffering the ravages of depression, anxiety, etc.

Holly— Good luck with taking deep breaths and not letting it faze you the next time your boss is being an ***hole! What's your summer job? Now you've got me curious...

saraphin— Can you tell us more about what's going on with you? For example, how has your insight about binge eating begun to help you? Often just recognizing and owning up to things like that is a huge first step on the way to making changes in our behavior.

Stay warm, everybody! Even here in the mild climate of the DC area, I've started wearing gloves when I go out!