Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #1  
on a journey

Default January 2013 Chat thread

We needed a chat thread. Vent here, share here.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #2  
on a journey

Hello friends. I hope you all are well.

I went to a party on the 31st to bring in the New Year, I was all set to spend the night. About 8 pm, the mood hit me that I didn't want to be there. I wanted to be at home, alone with my pets, relaxing. So I left the party early and went home. I just wasn't in the mood to party. I went home, turned on the television and enjoyed my evening. I know, it seems weird that I can enjoy being alone but I truly did. I didn't have to worry about socializing with people and being somewhere that I didn't want to be.

I still find myself in the same mood, not wanting to socialize much. I wouldn't say I'm down exactly just...I don't know, it's hard to explain.

I set a goal to lose 40 pounds this year. I think it's an achievable goal.

I hope this post finds you all well and happy.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #3  
Loosing the old me

S/C/G: 195/195/120

Height: 173 cm

Good luck on your journey,ohiofreespirit!
By the end of February I wish to loose at least 15 pounds (if possible 20).

I have dedication and I will fight for it! Depression will hold back it's claws while I am working on my body!!!
StrawberrySwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #4  
Happiness, Peace, & Love

S/C/G: 250 / 250 / 160

Height: 6'0"

I'm a newbie here- although I've been reading the site for awhile

Need to get something off my chest- my family is going through a lot of drama and I'm honestly not able to help out as much as I feel obligated to. This morning I found out my Grandmother- who my parents have been taking care of since I got married a year+ ago- has rectal cancer. This is on top of her having 3 brain tumors and no longer being able to walk. My Mom emailed me this information last night- which I'm thankful I got to read about it because all I could do for awhile was cry and cry and cry. My sweet cat, Buddha (16 lb orange tabby that we rescued), has been sitting by my lap ever since like he knows something is wrong. I woke up my Hubby too and he said he'd take the day off to be around in case my parents would like us to come down to visit- I'm still on and off crying so I shouldn't really drive.

My Mom mentioned how she's also going to pre-plan funeral arrangements for her and my Dad- since she's doing it for my Grandmother right now. I know this has nothing to do with her thinking she'll or my Dad will die soon- at least I keep telling myself that- but that hit me like a ton of bricks too. I've never done well around people who are sick or dieing- I'm very compassionate and sensitive about such things and I will literally just cry and cry (totally NOT helpful to those who are going through the process of dieing). I'm hoping that if there is something I can do my parents will just ask me- I'm never good at figuring out what I should do in such situations.

I was hoping to really get started on setting up a meal plan for myself today- bought the food and everything, but now I just want to... I don't even know. Go into numbness mode- if you know what I mean- which usually leads to me either not eating at all or overeating to comfort myself. I'm happy that my hubby will be home today- he knows about my depression and knows to keep an eye on if I'm eating or not (or eating too much too now).

Thanks for letting me share!
Angeldove97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #5  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

ohiofreespirit, thanks for starting a January thread If you did not want to socialize on NYE, then you did the right thing. And I know you can achieve your 2013 goal!

Hello to strawberryswing!

angeldove, :welcome and hi I'm so sorry about the news about your grandmother, poor lady. She does have family that cares about her and that is wonderful.

I understand that you are upset hearing about your parents pre-planning final details for themselves, but that is something they are doing to relieve you and any other children from stress at a time when you will be vulnerable..try not to think about it now. I'm 'only' 52 but I'm starting to think about ridding our house of clutter so our sons don't have to deal with as much 'when the time comes'.

I have had pretty smooth sailing for a long time now, depression-wise. I can only think that it's my med and consistent working out that is the magic combination (and 'trying' to not eat badly) Looking back on 2012 I don't think I had a single suicidal thought, for a whole year. I did have quite a few days spent in bed though, but that is pretty minor on the whole.

HI to everyone

Last edited by VermontMom; 01-04-2013 at 07:38 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

Oh ladies I found you again. I know you really were not lost, I was.
Right now, the moods seem pretty stable....because I started my meds again and working out. Just holding on here, trying to get through everyday life.
Will update more later
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #7  
on a journey

I feel so out of sorts. My job has me feeling so overwhelmed. I see my PA in a couple of days and I think she will up my med. I just want to quit my job but they say not to make any huge decisions when you are going through a bad time.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #8  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Ohiospirit very sorry you are feeling that way I would agree not to make any big decision when you're feeling like that . Hang in there!!

Last night I was very angry about my winter job, my job doesn't take much brain power on my part, just hate that when I have to stay late, I don't get paid for it.

Hi cemommster
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #9  

Ohiospirit hoping you start to feel better soon. The winter sucks, esp here in the Midwest, so dreary and less sun. Think about discussing vitamin D with your PA.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #10  

Default Newbie

I am new to this forum, I also just joined WW. I have lost my husband and daughter in 2 years time. I also have a form of MD which makes me loose my muscle, so exercise is hard to do. I live alone in small town now. My son lives a hour away but is moving this month 3hr away.
I fight being depressed living alone but know I need to lose weight because I am getting worse with my health. I am open for any help in this journey.
Thank you!
kareng54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #11  

Hi Karen, welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your husband and your daughter. I cannot imagine. I hope you find solace and support here with us.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #12  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

HI all.

My name is Cassie. I have been on the boards time and time again and successfully lost 80 lbs but then I saw a nutritionist and doing what she said I successfully GAINED 50 lbs....No bueno. I have lost about 15 of it in the last week and a half (im sure its mainly water). The experience of seeing the scale go back up to where I said it never would go mixed with the season changing put me in a depressed mode and that in turned made me gain even MORE weight. Ugh. So this is MY YEAR. I am ready to get it off and keep it off! No more listening to other people I am doing what I know how to do and what I know works. The problem is I am still fighting my depression. :\ So here I am to join you all and hopefully keep myself on track.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #13  
on a journey

Hi Karen and Cassie, welcome to the group. We are so glad to have you here with us.

Vermont, I am going to stick it out with my job until I am sure what I want to do. I don't want to make any rash decisions. I guess I feel like I am not able to give 100% to my job because of my anxiety. I feel like I get behind and then I get overwhelmed.

What can Vitamin D do for me?

Last edited by Lisa_C; 01-06-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #14  

Just checking in this morning. I am with a sick kiddo, so no working out until DH comes home.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #15  
on a journey

I overcame my inability to confront the housework and really dug into cleaning yesterday. I got a lot done. I still have a lot to do but the house looks and smells a lot better today. I am very proud of myself.