Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/159/128

Height: 5'6.5"

Default 40-Something January 2013 Chat!

Happy New Year !!!

Thought I would hop on and start our January chat thread!

Well - I weighed in at 149.5 this morning (sigh) - no surprise given my eating patterns over the last few weeks, but still - that scale is SWINGING - no doubt all the sodium and water weight ups and downs.

My last day off before back to work. I didn't get everything done that I wanted to, but I did have a nice break!

Given my weigh-in this morning, I may have to recalibrate my Valentine's Day goal - the goal is still 15 pounds down, but might be unrealistic to hit my goal weight in 6 weeks if I'm actually at 149.5 right now (that would be a 20 pound loss in 6 weeks!). All I know is I'm going to work hard to get there - if I'm at 135 by Valentine's day I'll be happy. So new Valentine's goal is to weigh in at 135.

I'm going to have another cup of coffee - then hop on the treadmill for my first run of 2013.

Happy New Year!!
Sheila22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #2  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning and Happy New Year! I missed out on December chat. I felt like I was butting in after it had been going on for weeks by the time I could jump in an participate.

I'm starting off the new year with health and fitness. After battling the horrible and awful C. diff for 2 months, I feel like I'm finally getting my health back! This morning, I'm going to go run a 5K! I feel like I'm starting 2013 off right.

It's time to refocus and re-prioritize and get back to losing. I only have 10 or 15 pounds left to go! Maybe you and I can reach 135 together, Sheila! Although I didn't weigh myself this morning (forgot), I've been hovering between 148 and 152 for the past 2 months. I'm ready to take that last step and get back on on the weight loss wagon.

My New Year resolution, lose the last 10-15 pounds and work on strength, and to keep fitness as a part of my life. It's so easy to get busy and let the fitness part go.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #3  

twinieten - Hello!!!! And I'm gearing up to run a 5K this morning too! (albeit on my treadmill - it's snowy and cold outside here) - yes - it sounds like we have the same goal! Okay - let's do it together!! And we both run! Woo Hoo!!! 2013 is here and it's our GOAL YEAR!!!!!

So - I'm setting annual goals (resolutions), but also monthly goals to feed my bigger ones. In January I will lose 10 pounds. That will put me in the 130s!!! To do that, I need to lose 2.5 pounds per week - and to do that - exercise 5x/week, no starchy carbs or dairy (I'm lactose intolerant - but I LOVE dairy so this is hard for me), and journal / weigh in daily. Also staying on these boards really helps keep me on track - so I'm definitely going to leverage all of you to keep me going!!!

WOO HOO! We're on our way!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/184/140

Height: 5'4" BMI-31.6=OBESE!

Hi! I'm fairly new here. I hope it's okay for me to jump in.

Shelia22 & twinieten ~ I was looking at both of your stats and I must say I'm impressed! I hope I can do as well as both of you have done. I hope you do well in your 5K's!

I've tried every diet out there and have avoided counting cals like the plague. So in Novemeber (2012) I've decided to try counting cals. It's going slow but It's working AND it's not as bothersome as I thought it would be. My New Year's resolution is to stop my night time nonsence eating. I think this weight would fall off of me if I just stopped this one thing. I've been practicing and some nights I win the fight and some nights I lose. But as of today I'm getting serious! I'm also going to start excersising slowly, maybe 3 times a week to start.

This morning I weighed-in at 184.5. I'm up 1/2 lb from last time I weighed. I didn't count cals yesterday because I decided to take a break from it. Instead I controlled myself and stopped eating when full. My diet wasn't healthy at all yesterday. So today, back to counting and eating healthy!
valentine21463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Hello, everyone! Happy New Year! I weighed in
in this morning at 151. It's a step in the right direction! Hubby and kids home today and we will be going out for lunch. Looking forward to getting on track again in the new year and finally reaching my goal!

Have a fabulous day and may we all have a healthy and successful year!

Last edited by guacamole; 01-01-2013 at 10:44 AM.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #6  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Weight is sky high 158.8... my trip is in 3 weeks...I would really like to shed 8 pounds Let's hope I have loads of bloat!!

Happy New year to all!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #7  

Well - I just finished my 5K run! It was a bit rough (had to burn off that holiday binge last night)...but it's amazing how much more energy I have after I work out! I'm getting ready to deep clean my bedroom and bathroom today! WOO HOO!! I'll turn on the music, open the shades, and let some light into this place - - that's one thing about my bedroom I wish I could change - - in my last 3 houses I was isolated enough that I could at least have ONE window shade open - but I have neighbors on both sides of me now, so it's not possible - - but when I'm in cleaning mode - somehow it's more energizing to have them open.

valentine21463 - welcome!! And absolutely jump in!! And I know calorie counting can be difficult at first, but as you've learned it becomes easier over time - do you keep a journal? When I lost 40 pounds I wrote down every calorie (well estimates if necessary) - it really helped to keep me on track! There is also a great software package by Calorie King that can help you track not only your food intake but also the calories you burn with exercise - it's awesome - but for some reason, I prefer pen and paper.... Also with the nighttime eating - I think that's one that many of us have - I know I do - - there is a great book called "the power of habit" - talks about how we can change our patterns....so for me - I used to come home from work, open the fridge, pour myself a glass of wine....yada yada - - then I intentionally shifted my "pattern" to come home from work, change, and go for a walk (which turned into running)...unfortunately, it's easy to fall back into the old patterns (which I did over the holidays ) - so I need to "reprogram" again...but it is definitely do-able!! Another one of my New Year's resolutions is to NOT eat in the living room in front of the TV. It's embarrassing for me to say this, but my kids and I eat more there than in the dining room. So from now on - if I want food, I'm going to have to eat at the kitchen island or at the dining room table. AND - I'm going to start having dinner with my kids in the dining room. Even if they have already eaten when I get home - they will come into the dining room and we will sit and visit (even if I'm the only one eating - LOL). I honestly think it will be good for all of us. The other thing I'm going to do to avoid those evening eating cravings is start knitting again. Keeps my hands busy and my mind occupied! So see - there are a lot of things you can do!!

I'm glad this year is finally here!! WOO HOO!!! What I know is that I'm going to be 10 pounds lighter by the end of this month (down another dress size and into the 130s!!), 15 pounds lighter by Valentine's Day, and at my goal weight of 130 by March 1st! (actually my goal is 128 - I want a couple of pounds for "wiggle room") And I'm going to start going to my kickboxing class two days a week (even if I have the kids), and run a 5K 3 days a week...I will expand my social network - and become like the people I "hang with" (my kickboxing crew and all of YOU!! ) we are going to have a fabulous and positively transformational year!!

Time to turn on the music, pull up these window shades and start CLEANING!!! Hope everyone has a great day!

Oh - and ps - I WILL try that hula hoop before the end of this day! LOL I'll let you all know how it goes...
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #8  

Sum - Join me in "BOOTCAMP"!!! You got this girlfriend! 8 pounds in 3 weeks is a bit aggressive for me personally - almost 3 pounds a week - but I also know that when I stop drinking my liquid doughnuts, stop eating the starchy carbs and cut out the dairy - my weight just skydives!!!

We're here to support you!! I think I need to plan a trip to accelerate my goal weight achievement - - hmmm.....Maybe Spring Break with the kids somewhere awesome?? Have to give that some thought! Sum - I might have missed your post, but where are you going??? You can SO DO THIS!!! DO YOU!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #9  

And Guac - it's our GOAL YEAR!!!! I'm so excited for us!!!

We seriously need to have virtual on-line "parties" when we each hit goal! LOL
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: BF% 37.6/see sig/BF20%

Height: 5' 9"

Happy New Year All!

2013: Year of Fitness
Skinny girls look good in clothes, Fit girls look good naked!

To Moving Forward: I am a bit more than sore - quads are a' screaming- that dang box jump is rougher than it looks. Apparently I jump from waist up (maybe I think I am gonna fly?) instead of exploding/pushing from feet up - thanks to my DH for that eval... Not to mention that my balance is apparently none to good. I wobble on the stepups, too. No biggie- that just means I can only get better!!
I am so glad I did it at home, though! I didn't want to look like a wimp in public! My big issue with my home gym was that I have no cable machine - then I discovered resistance bands with handles! I can loop them around (mine have break in the middle so you can pull each cable independent) the bars on the squat cage and do plank with rows, lat pulldown, etc. I bought my Olympic bar and plates on sale at Dicks Sporting Goods (still on sale, I think)- 189 and squat cage was 299. It was an early birthday present to myself! I figured it was less $$ than a gym membership for one year and I am much more inclined to work out in the privacy of my own home ... some of the noises I make are less than ladylike! And I may have whimpered a few times... My recommendation: Do EXTRA stretching afterwards... I bought 'the stick original roller massager ' and it has already paid for itself after one workout. It is amazing how it kneads the knots out of muscles! And Epsom salt for soaks...
I was also really concerned that without all the cardio I normally do I wouldn't burn enough calories so I wore the trusty HR monitor and BOY was I wrong! I actually burned MORE per minute than straight cardio. I most assuredly got a workout - just ask my quads, hammies and glutes.

Last edited by 2FatCats; 01-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.
2FatCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #11  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

So glad to have found this forum and so glad to have "stuck with the program" (the program, ANY program) for 52 DAYS!!!!

Hey...all you skinni-minnis!!...this is MY year to achieve Goal too!!! It's just going to take me A LOT longer to get there!! That's OK...I'll celebrate with you in March....you celebrate with me later (AND celebrate your maintenance!!)

I haven't fully fledged out all the resolutions I want to make...but high up on the list again is a positive mental state and thicker skin....to stop second-guessing myself....reduce worry and fretting about the future...I'm taking the steps to make positive things happen....

2013: year of Fitness and Health, year of Accomplishment, year of New Friends, year of Organization, year of Success, year of Lasting Happiness

one step at a time...hour by hour/day by day, we'll get there!!!!
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #12  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

It was a frigid 32 degrees out there, which is pretty darned cold for those of us in Arizona! I managed to finish the 5K in 36 minutes, with an average pace of 12 minutes per mile.

I ran with a group (Lifetime Fitness Commitment Day 5K), and kind of attached myself to one woman and kept up with her. I thought I'd die, but I did it while only stopping to walk a couple of short times.

Now it's time to keep myself out there and keep running. The weather is so good for it now, because I can run in the afternoon, after work. Lately I've been going home from work and I've been so fatigued, I sleep for about 40 minutes. I started B12 shots 2 weeks ago, and ladies, if you are tired, try them. They work!

Valentine, it took me almost 3 years to do it, but I did it! I've lost 60 pounds, so far! If you've done the diet yo-yo as I have, you already know that it feels really good to be thin! I hope you can do it faster than me! Good luck!! you can do it!! Counting calories is really the way to go, and it's so easy with so many free web sites and apps. I use Bodybugg, and love it! I tried losing weight for awhile with no progress, until I started counting calories with Bodybugg. For me, the only way to lose weight is to count. Hopefully I can lighten up on that in maintenance, but until I maintain for a few months, I will keep counting.

Sheila, you'll probably lose me in your dust when you shed that 10 pounds in January! Good luck to you with that goal! Don't worry about me, though, I'll catch up!

I'm going to join you in the cleaning. I'm taking the next 4 days off of work, and I plan on doing a lot of cleaning of this house, but hopefully I will also get out to do something fun with my kids while they are out of school. My bedroom is going to be my main focus, as well. It seems like if I can keep that room clean, the rest of the house follows.

Same to you SeeMyFeet! Good luck with your goal! It is your year!!

Nice 2FatCats! "Skinny girls look good in clothes, Fit girls look good naked!" I plan to be the latter by the end of the year.

Guac, I always watch your progress because you and I have similar start weights and similar goals. I'll look forward to hitting our goals this year, together (even if weeks or months apart)!!

I'm on a positive post-run high right now, and feeling psyched for the new year, hitting goals, and being THIN! I'm so excited for us too!!

Last edited by twinieten; 01-01-2013 at 01:58 PM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #13  

twinieten - woo hoo on your 5K girlfriend!! Awesome job!!! Doesn't it feel fabulous after a run?? I love it!

SeeMyFeet - We are all going to hit our goal this year! I LOVE your resolutions!

2FatCats - I'm so jealous of your weight lifting!! It's really something I need to do - especially my arms and abs - they are like jello!

I'm finished cleaning my bedroom and both of the upstairs bathrooms - bedding is in the laundry - so all I have left to do is make my bed later! Feels good to have it done - I didn't deep clean, but that's okay - I'll tackle areas over the next 6 weeks.

My daughter popped over (love it when she does that) - we're watching a movie and she is doing homework. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #14  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Ladies. Jumping into the chat. I've held off in the past because I find it a little overwhelming to keep up, but I will try...

New Years Day started off right. I made poached eggs with homemade salsa, and white beans with cumin and lemon for lunch. Yum. And my boys are finally getting old enough, they are starting to eat this way, too. The eggs were really just for DH and I; I was surprised when my boys ate them too.

For exercise, I shoveled the driveway.

I'm really trying to lose 10 pounds this month, and have successfully turned away from mindless nibbling once already today. Here's to keeping up our determination!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

HI, everyone!

I tried to catch up, but there's no way. Fresh start, fresh slate. I hope you had a great holidays.

I know I'm ready to reset. I've eaten HORRIBLY since about a week before Christmas, blah, but there's no more reason to eat badly. Yesterday I went to a New Year's party at my sister's house and I didn't eat so much but drank WAY too much wine. Spent the night there, woke up ready to start fresh and had a big danish for breakfast *face-palm*

So my goal is not going to be centered around losing weight. It's more about nourishing my body and getting strong. I really hope this will translate to losing the extra weight, though.
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote