Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 222/212/120

Height: 5'3

I have taken both the XL and the SR. The XL did not work for me; by late afternoon it was like I had nothing on board at all. The SR seemed to help my mood and behaviors better later in the day. I tended to eat compulsively after I got home from work,which was decreased probably after that first week on the SR. I think it's easier to maintain my weight on wellbutrin;I lose in the begining but then stabalize and have to watch what I eat after that.
deew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2 View Post
I've tried everything else (it seems) and have concluded that it's not just a lack of willpower...there is something wrong with my brain that makes me feel COMPELLED to overeat.
Me too. My therapist swears I couldn't have been born this way but
it really feels like it. I had a happy childhood, I have a happy marriage, great
family, great friends....so why do I do this? Thats the $10,000 question.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

I'm on generic welbutrin (buproprion) and I'm actually GAINING weight. It has done NOTHING for my appetite...a big disappointment although it has helped some with my depression.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #19  

Hi dear,

Weight is a big problem for everyone.If you really wants to reduce your weight, dont worry about that. There are lot of process to do it.
calotrenpamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #20  

When I was on Wellbutrin, it gave me lots of energy and dampened my appetite. This wore off after a few months, but it was nice to actually feel peppy after a year of depression.
Sinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #21  

Default Wellbutrin

It was instant for me, from the start It put me in a hypnotic trance and all i wanted to do was complete all the tasks I had not been able to do. I kid you not I had a vegetarian pita roll just because I found it so strange to not consume one meal. That was the first day. As long as I kept in mind that I DID HAVE to eat for healthy reasons. It worked for me.
pollen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #22  

Default Weight loss with wellbutrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollen11 View Post
It was instant for me, from the start It put me in a hypnotic trance and all i wanted to do was complete all the tasks I had not been able to do. I kid you not I had a vegetarian pita roll just because I found it so strange to not consume one meal. That was the first day. As long as I kept in mind that I DID HAVE to eat for healthy reasons. It worked for me.
How long did this trance feeling last? How long did you feel your appetite was suppressed? From what I am seeing, it seems the appetite suppression lasts for a little while but eventually goes away. So after 6 months or so, it isn't suppressing the appetite any more?

Thanks!
torilyn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 190/165.5/135

Height: 5'3"

I took Wellbutrin XL about 5 years ago for depression and lost 30lbs. (it was combined with exercise and weight watchers).
I found that it really really helped my emotional eating.
yogacoffeelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #24  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Was on Wellbutrin in 06 within 10-11 weeks I had lost about 60 lbs. I was also walking on the treadmill everyday and eatng healthier. But I think it curbed my cravings. It also made me a little aggressive. I would stand up for my self a little too much. I thought I was going to end up beating someone up for taking my parking space once. I had to get off of it. I tried it again last year because I kinda missed the confidence it gave me, but this time it made my heart race like crazy, certain sounds were making me feel nuts and I found myself yelling too much at my poor kids.
It started working for my depression at about 25 days. It instantly curbed my appetite. Good luck hope it helps u out.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 185/165/120

Height: 5'2"

Hi!

Wellbutrin is a stimulant (rather than a depressant like Prozac and the other SSRI drugs). Hypothetically, it will actually make it easier for you to lose weight on wellbutrin/buproprion. So just wait it out a while and see what happens I think you will like the results.

Last edited by Tillie; 12-28-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Tillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 212/209/160

Height: 5' 7"

hi,

I too was switched from prozac 40 mg to wellbutrin about a month ago. It is finally kicking in for me the past week or so and I am feeling my depression lifting. It gave me nausea the first couple of weeks, but I would still eat sugars But now I think it is helping to curb my appetite. I really need it because I started the ideal protein diet 10 days ago and it is pretty restrictive.
I feel that prozac made me gain weight (or could be the 1 mg of abilify I am on). I am up 30 pounds in 5 months!! I never got over the low energy which is why she switched me.
I definately feel an energy increase, appetitie decrease, more ability to focus. I do get hot flashes though and have difficulty sleeping.
Good luck all!
It sucks depression makes you crave carbs and most depression meds can make you gain weight. constant struggle!!
eatingfromacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumbachica View Post
I'm on generic welbutrin (buproprion) and I'm actually GAINING weight. It has done NOTHING for my appetite...a big disappointment although it has helped some with my depression.
I took generic welbutrin too and didn't lose that much weight, whatever I did lose still required my willpower and effort... Wonder if those that have had weight loss on it are using the name brand/non generic.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 AM   #28  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
I took generic welbutrin too and didn't lose that much weight, whatever I did lose still required my willpower and effort... Wonder if those that have had weight loss on it are using the name brand/non generic.
I dont remember the first time around if it was generic, probably was if the insurance was paying. This last time after reading all the negative stuff about generic I decided to order from Canada I paid about 120 for 3 months worth I think. I figured 3 months woukd cost me about 20 per month here so it wasn't to big of a cost difference.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #29  

I am taking the generic but I started to lose my appetite right away. I've only been on it for 11 days but have lost 5 lbs (I have about 50 lbs. to go). I have gone to the gym BUT I have to remind myself to eat a little something or I could go almost all day with out eating. Completely quit my binge eating (so far). I hope it keeps working on my appetite, emotionally I feel a tad better (probably because I am losing weight) but I realize it takes about a month to fully kick in on the emotions. I do get a dry mouth but that's okay because it gets me to drink a *ton* of water...
MissyGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #30  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

It also did nothing for me appetite wise or depression wise :/. I'd read some people list weight with it but tree is also those of us who noticed no difference whatsoever.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote