Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #1  

Default Off anti-dep. meds, and losing more than ever!?@?!

Hi Everyone!

Newbie here!

Major clinical depression was diagnosed when I was a mere 12... and here I am at 20 with it still kicking my bum! I have issues with taking my meds (zoloft, 100mgs), issues with consistency, issues with losing my milk (I am breastfeeding my daughter still- 13 months strong!), and all around issues with not being able to "be happy on my own" which I am sure many of you have felt at some point or another. So, instead of my zoloft, I started taking St. John's Wort... a miracle drug, if you ask me, as far as natural/safer... whatnot... That was going well... I was not gaining any weight, but not losing... and then to throw the mix upside down again... I just started a Birthcontrol (YAZ) and had to stop taking the St. Johns. because it can inhibit the absorption of the birthcontrol in the kidneys, or somethign like that.

OK, there is my background.. now on to my questions...

I know that I just should be "consulting my dr." for all of this, but I just want opinions here...

I haven't taking my anti-dep. pills for a while (zolo or SJW) and feel good, have lost 5 lbs, and am sleeping better... I am def. moody again, but not nearly as bad as previous to my prescript. Rx.

Any thoughts on this? I am hesitant to restart them...
lilymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Lily and

Congrats on your baby girl

Sounds like the moods are slowly creeping up on you.... my suggestion would be to talk to your doctor now before it hits you full blown. I think it would be best for you and your baby girl to nip it in the bud now.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

I like Leenie's advice, but your doctor will surely appreciate your insight. After all, you are the best judge of your moods and that will only help her (him) figure out the next best step.

Good Luck!

(I am so impressed by people with great insight into their mental health and well-being.)
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #4  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hi Lilymomma,
I read a study once that documented different therapies for depression. The three methods used were, talk therapy alone, medication alone, and regular exercise w/o talk therapy or meds.
Guess what- the results were basically equivalent! So, I think if you want to give it a go w/o meds make sure you get your natural endorphins flowing with regular exercise.

best of luck....be well
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Height: 5'3

I recommend talking to your doctor. When I went off my meds to see if I still needed them, it took me about four months to erase all the good work I'd done in the previous two years of treatment. Then I tried to kill myself.

Don't let stress be the cause of a relapse - get yourself under YOUR control before then. Make sure you have a safety net in place if you're going to stay off the drugs. Make sure there are people around you who know what you're doing and what signs to watch out for. You are so precious - you don't want to risk your safety!
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote