Old 03-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

It's a quickie for me tonight, too!

Exercise only ended up being 15 minutes.... I did get up early but didn't seem to have the "gumption" to get going. Tonight I will get my exercise cloths ready so that will be one less excuse tomorrow morning.

Calories came in at 1263 so far today. I was wondering if a "weekly calorie challenge" would work. Alot of us seem to be using that method.
Any thoughts?

I've only had about 40 oz of water today... gotta get that total up.

Question of the DayWhat things do you do to "focus" on food/exercise/staying healthy? Do you have little tricks to keep you on track? I wish I had some.... I'll read on for some ideas. The best thing I can do for myself is to have everything ready and have a plan in my head for what I will do.

Goodnight all ... off to watch a movie (don't know how good it will be ... DH picked it out and I hear some talking about achiology )

JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #92  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Question Question of the Day

Are there other things in your life that take priority over dieting?
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #93  
Bound and Determined

Morning chicks!

Yesterday was ok for me. Dinner wasn’t exactly as planned, as it was a buffet and my choices were cheese quesadilla, chicken and cheese quesadilla, or hard tacos. I didn’t eat too much though, and I did get some chips and guacamole, and I stuck to drinking Diet Coke, so it’s ok. No exercise though. I just went home, read one chapter, and went to bed.

I’m still tired today though, surprise surprise. And today is one of my frustrated days, when it seems like every little thing is setting me off. The dog was getting on my nerves this morning. I will put her in the garage for a bit when I get home so I can exercise in peace, perhaps that will work out some of my frustration. If Steve has my computer hooked up when I get home (we unhooked it on Sunday when we were moving the desks around) then I will try to do Yourself!Fitness. If not—and I’m not holding my breath—it will be the bike for me.

I’m not too busy at work today though, at least not at the moment (always the possibility of something coming in later), so I intend to make up some menus while I’m here. Of course, the wise thing for me to do would be to use some of the menus already made up for me and simply making a grocery list. That way I would get to try some new recipes at the same time. Now that I think about it, I may do that. We’ll see.

Our Walk 100 Miles in 100 Days program started yesterday here at work. I’m not off to a very good start, as I didn’t get in any exercise yesterday. That’s ok though, as I usually go for more than 20 minutes at a time when I do exercise.

Question of the Day
Are there other things in your life that take priority over dieting?
Yes and no. I think my family would, and I remember when my grandfather died I didn’t care what I ate or if I exercised. But then I think of the following weeks, and I remember how focusing on my diet and exercise helped me start dealing with my life again, helped me realize that life does go on and I still have to take care of myself. Sometimes when I get really stressed out and all I want to do is eat, it helps to focus on the one thing I can utterly control: what I eat. And I recognize that it is important to take care of myself in order to make it through those rough patches.

I don’t know that I explained my thoughts on that very well. Heck, I’m not sure I understand my thoughts on that very well.

OK, I have a meeting in just a few minutes, so it’s time to post and get on with the day. Have a good one, chicks.
~Elisha
Old 03-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #94  
"workin' on my fitness"

Evening, chickies. 2 hectic days here.

Yesterday about 4pm, I got "volunteered" to go up to our processing center, since our person is going to be out for 3 days, she asked for help, and she asked for me. Feather in my cap, and definitely a good thing. I drove up last night, stayed at the new house, and drove the half hour in to that office today. Now, I'm at the new house, with the sprinkler on to keep the lawn from dying- there's 1 large brown patch, and it got to 88 degrees here today. Yeah, I know those who still have winter will be pissed, but I will gladly trade. Send me cold weather, especially until the A/C guy can get to our old house this Saturday.

Poor hubby has been sweating his, well, parts, off. It has been miserable during the day, and when the sun comes in during the afternoon, he's been baking. Just miserable for man & beasties there. With the air fixed, we can then drop it down to 60 degrees and go on a mad packing & purging spree. Trying to lift furniture in 88 degrees, with no air, and 100% humidity is just asking to have heatstroke, or a heart attack.

My dad has finally capitulated- I've been whining for 2 months about the ceiling fans & light kits for them. I finally gave up on him & called an electrician. 860.00 to put them together & hang them. WTF?!?!?! So I told my mom the cost, and how there was no way I was going to be able to afford that, and that I can't do it myself. Mom worked her magic with Dad, and they are either coming this weekend, or he'll come out alone early next week. That will help tremendously, and we'll be able to leave the thermostat around 74, and the fans will help keep it cool. And all the tile helps, too. In the old house, with the old a/c that wasn't really effective, we'd have 300.00 electric bills. The current bills have been 35-40 bucks a month, just running the air & stuff on weekends, but should be under 150.00 for the better part of the year.

Tomorrow, I have to cover the front, Roid is taking half a day, our loan officer is going realtor office hopping, and basically, I'm going to be tied to 1 of 2 desks, and trying to pee on fires and keep things from self destructing. With the a/c people coming, the big move will have to be pushed back, but at least it will be more comfortable prepping for it.

Sorry this has been all over the place- too much going on in my head, and nowhere else to let it spew. Hope everyone is having a good week!
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:56 PM   #95  

Hello!

Had a rather quiet day at work.....this is the week that I usually tear my hair out trying to make the checkbook balance to GL and, miracle of miracles, it balanced all by itself this month! I am not complaining, and am using the time doing all those things that I never seem to have time for otherwise!

Julie,....You are doing great, chickie! Do not apologize for 'only 30 minutes' of exercise......as long as you are moving, it counts! I remember when doing 15 minutes w/Leslie had me absolutely whipped......and couldn't do that 2 days in a row!

Joy.....The lack of 'gumption' seems to be going around.....I thought my legs were made of lead tonight when I exercised! But that is what happens when you have to wait until evening to have time to fit the exercise in! Your calorie tally is super! A calorie counting challenge sounds good.....seems like I have been too high too many days in a row now.

Jennifer......Do not move another thing until the AC is hooked up and making ice cubes! The last time we moved, it was July (and in Michigan that means hot and humid!)........we would take our 'breaks' sitting on the cement floor in the basement, as it was the coolest spot we could find!

Elisha.....You did make some good choices at the party - that is always so hard for me. I always seem to get caught up in the fun and conversations and find myself eating mindlessly!

Calories came in pretty near 2000 today......didn't eat all that much, but not terribly good choices. I did manage 30 minutes exercise though.....hope that will balance things out!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:17 AM   #96  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Aloha --

Everyone seems to be motivated again. Maybe we can beat the end-o-the-month slump.

MsRD -- Well, I'm not weighing myself until April 21, but after that, I'm up for a weight challenge. Yay for you for losing that pound.

Julie -- Ooo, you are a brave woman! You can do it!!!

Joy -- Good to see you again.

Jennifer -- Whew, sounds like you're busy.

Elisha -- Menu planning is a good idea. Hope it works for you.

I like the weight loss in a certain period of time challenge and the calorie challenge.

I'm not weighing myself until April 21, but after that, I'd be up for a weight loss/time challenge. Good luck to the folks who are aiming for five pounds down.

BUT I would be up for a calorie challenge right now... Anybody have a preference as to how to do it? Maybe we could have a maximum number of calories that we would eat. We could time it with the five pound challenge... as in, "I will only eat X number of calories by April 1."

Don't feel like posting too much about myself right now. Everyone take care.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:14 AM   #97  

Evening

Calories today - 1715

Water 30 oz.

Exercise 15 minutes only

I really want popcorn ... I'm trying to resist as it is 10:15. I think I'll go have a drink of water instead.

Question of the DayAre there other things in your life that take priority over dieting? That's the problem for me ... I always put everything else before dieting. I have a habit of not putting myself first, playing the martyr (sp).

That's it for tonight.

Hugs everyone
Joy.

PS we should try to figure out a day/time for a chat with the whole group ....
Old 03-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #98  
Bound and Determined

Are there any foods you do not allow yourself to eat (trigger foods)?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #99  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Hump Day

MOrning chickies!
It's nice to hear from all of you and that you all are working hard to keep from getting sucked into the middle of the month backslide! YEA!

Yesterday was a good day for me, but not because it was an exceptional food day or an exceptional exercise day...because frankly, I didn't exercise...my body needed a rest...and the food consumption was purely "comfort food"! BUT...I did not indulge in ANY sugar treats of any sort, so I get another added to my sig. YEA!

I also got my new orthotics for my shoes. They feel good. No problems with them and I am hoping they will suit me just fine throughout the day today and in the future without having to make too many adjustments to them! They took an actual mold of my feet and made them from that, so I should think they would be "perfect"!

I am going to weigh in today, a day early, but I just feel like my clothes are fitting differently..not so tight! I may not be down any pounds, but I know I feel better...and THAT is a good thing! So, I will exercise tonight after work! It's always so hard to do, but I can do it...and I will do it!

I was looking for something in the fridge to take to work for lunch today, but DH must have eaten my beans & rice that I was going to take. The rest of the stuff is too full of carbs, so I guess I'm going to have to go get a salad! I could take a can of tuna, I suppose!

Comments...

Joy...Yea for checking in...and that 15 minutes counts, chickie! Keep plugging away...don't give up! You are so worth it!

MsRD...You and I both need to get those calories down if we are gonna make the 5# mark by April 1 (which is only 10 days away!)...I'm in for the calorie challenge, too!

TBJ...Sorry you are not feeling like posting about yourself right now. But feel free to always tell us even if life isn't what you want it to be. We are all human here! Hope your day is better today! Enjoy the warmth and sunshine of Hawaii for me, ok? It's cold here today...brrr! I like your idea of calories and wt. loss challenge by a certain date! I will start the calorie challenge next week...I've already got a lot to keep in mymind this week and I want to have ONE successful week under my belt before I add anything else!

Jennifer...Yea to Dad for stepping up and helping you out! Way to go on being assertive, too! Sometimes we just need to ask, eh? Hope your days aren't too stressful! Take a moment for yourself and a deep breath every once in a while...remember what is important!

Elisha...I know that you are struggling with a bunch of stuff right now, which probably is adding to your fatigue level. Take a moment and get to the doctor, chickie! Being tired all the time has got to be tiring. It's no wonder you are having trouble with focusing on "dieting"! Your body is trying to tell you something! Hang in there...and know we understand!

I have to leave for work now, so you all have a great day! We are baking today at work, so keep me in your thoughts and send positive vibes my way...right around 10:30 EST!!!!!!

Hugs!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #100  
Bound and Determined

Morning chicks!

Yesterday was just a horrible, horrible day. Not dietarily, dietarily it was pretty average, but my day sucked in pretty much every other aspect. I wanted to stop at KFC for dinner, but I didn’t. I have a feeling that is coming though. Maybe if I do well for a couple of days I will let myself stop one day next week.

I’ve decided that I’m giving up fast food, at least for a while. No fast food at all in the month of April. The giving up of chocolate thing didn’t go so well, and really, who wants to live a life without chocolate? But fast food is something I neither want nor need anywhere in my diet, and it will not only help my diet, but I’ll probably save some money as well.. I’m not saying I’ll never eat fast food again, but the more I can avoid it the better. Tonight or tomorrow I may rent Supersize Me and hop on the bike while I watch it (no, I haven’t seen it yet).

In other news, I think I’m going to take a half day off of work on Friday to get the house in order for this weekend’s gathering. The kitchen walls still need sanded and painted, the banister and trim on the stairs needs painted, the carpets still need shampooed… lots of stuff to be done. By the time I get home in the evening I am so tired (and usually frustrated) that I can’t bring myself to do much of anything. But Steve generally stays awake on Fridays, so he will be available to help me. And he said he would take me out to dinner on Friday, but I think if we do lunch instead that will end up being healthier (and cheaper) for both of us. Then I can fix us a decent dinner, and we can get some things accomplished.

So today’s eating is going much better already.

Breakfast:
2 c. coffee w/FF vanilla creamer
1 c. frosted mini wheats
1 c. skim milk
1 banana

Lunch:
1 can diet black cherry vanilla coke
1 c. green beans
2 slices whole-grain bread
1 oz. turkey breast lunch meat
1 slice American cheese
1 nectarine

Snack:
Baby carrots

Dinner: undecided
Possibly salmon cakes, possibly something random

Question of the Day
I’ve come to realize that chocolate is a big trigger for me. I suppose it’s sugar, really, but chocolate in particular. If I get even a taste of it I want more and more and more. And then I just want to eat anything I can find. So yeah, that’s not good.
Carbs in general do that to me—make me want to eat more carbs. I don’t want to cut them out of my diet entirely, but it does help if I limit them somewhat, especially in the evening.

Anyway, lots of work around here this week, so I’ve got to get going. Have a good day, chicks!
~Elisha
Old 03-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #101  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Evening chickies...

Ahhh...I weighed intoday and that was not the best thing for me to do! I'm right where I have been. No gain no loss! So...
I think the main reason is because of all the exercise I have incorporated...probably a little swelling in some areas and maybe? I am gaining some muscle! Anyway...I won't weigh again until March 31 right before I leave for vacation on the first. I weigh at work on the Dr. scale! OK, on a positive note, I am not discouraged with this, although I was secretly hoping for a loss this week, darn it! Which means I probably won't be down 5 by the first! So...you allwill have to be subjected to my photos! Blech!

I did get in 30 minutes Aerobics & 15 minutes of toning tonight! So Yea me!

Food today was a little more healthy! I unfortunately did indulge in one of those choc. chip cookies we baked at work today! Darn it! That's 2 "darnits" today! But I had:
B-fast: Oatmeal w/ 1 Tbsp PB & some cranberries with Splenda & Milk
Lunch: 1/2 bagel with strawberry creme cheese, 1/2 can pineapple (yea for the fruit!)
Supper: Taco salad with a few chips
Water: Probably lower than I need. 60 oz.

Hey, Elisha...have you thought about adding some protein to your diet. I have been noticing that you really don't eat much of it during the day, especially in the mornings. 2 oz. until supper is really not enough. Maybe add some string cheese or turkey breasts to your snacks...Cottage cheese & fruit. I know my diet is not exactly stellar, but just thought I would point that out. It might be what you are lacking to help with the fatigue, too! Just some thoughts...

Questions of the Day...last two
Are there other things in your life that take priority over dieting? I think probably just about anything when I'm not in the right frame of mind. When I get super busy with work and stuff at home, I really don't want to have to think about my food/exercise too! It overwhelms me sometimes, so the diet part goes on the back burner.

Uhhhhh...SUGAR!!!! I can't say don't allow myself to eat, because I do eat it, but I pay when I do...in the form of NO WEIGHT LOSS or a GAIN!!! It's evil to me!

Hugs to all....have a great night!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:42 AM   #102  

Evening Chickies

Calories came in at 1747 today.... I see that creep is coming...

Exercise was non existant. I had this funny achy eye thing today, my eyes felts sunken in and hurt to look side to side ... like in the sockets or something..... Wierd .... and anyways I just did not feel like venturing out in the wind and rain and I didn't bring my jacket ...... They seem fine now ... I think I may have been giving into my own excuses.... Tomorrow will be better.

Water was about 48oz. Need to focus on that.... I've been drinking more coffee than usual lately and that impacts on my water.

Question of the Day Are there any foods you do not allow yourself to eat (trigger foods)? I think that there is a link between my eating carbs and binging, there is a fine line between eating what I want to resolve a craving and eating everything in site until I find out what it is....

Elisha I agree with Julie that you need to get this tired thing looked after - protein could be an issue. So could anemia, do you take iron? On another note, don't worry about all the "house" things being done before your guests arrive.... they are there to see you and Steve, just get tidied up to the presentable stage... they will not notice the stuff that you think needs paint before they arrive. Relax.... chickie.

Julie The "scale" doesn't know everything, you are feeling better that is the gauge. Way to go chickie. I'm thinking I should go get fitted for orthos... I had a prescription a while back but had no money... I was reading on my extended health that they are covered. It's been suggested they would help with my knee troubles.

TBJ I was thinking maybe we could allow ourselves a certain amount of calories for the week and try to stay within our allotment. What do you think of that?

MsRD I'm having a bit of trouble getting my exercise under control, haven't done WATP yet. I'm hoping my having a successful calorie week this week I will feel motivated to kick up the exercise next week.

That's it for tonight... it's already 10:43pm Good night!

Joy
Old 03-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #103  
Bound and Determined

Do you set dieting timelines or deadlines? Do you think the practice is beneficial?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #104  
Bound and Determined

Morning chicks!

Well, yesterday was a much better day for me. At least it didn’t really classify as a bad day, it was just rather average. Calories came in at 1699 according to DietPower and 1544 according to Sparkpeo***. (I’ve been using SP as a way to keep track while I’m at work, and I like some other portions of that site as well.) Who’s to say which is right? I drank plenty of water yesterday, about 96 oz., but I didn’t get any exercise. I did go to bed around 9 though, and today I am feeling a little less tired than usual. Maybe I just need to start going home and going straight to bed! The scale is right where it was yesterday morning though, 217.8. Ugh.

Julie and Joy: I usually do get more protein. Usually breakfast for me has eggs and/or some type of breakfast meat. I’ve just felt like eating something a bit healthier for breakfast, and cereal and fruit is certainly healthier then fried eggs and sausage (which is what I really want). Besides that, my dr. told me to get less protein because my body is depending on it so much. I know that if I don’t have some protein I get hungry in just a couple of hours. I’m trying to go by the food groups and eat a more balanced diet, because if I don’t pay attention I generally end up eating all carbs or all protein. It’s much easier for me to eat a banana with cereal than it is to eat any fruit with eggs and sausage. And it cuts down on the fat too.

So I finally got my big project back at work, which is good. Unfortunately, all the stuff I had done in the 6 weeks before it got taken away was wrong (only because they changed their minds, not because of anything I did), and now I have to redo the entire thing in 5 days. How I’m going to fit 6 weeks of work into 5 days, I have no idea. But at least I have something to do.

And I AM taking a half day off tomorrow (because technically I have 40 hours to finish the project, no matter which 40 hours I take) to finish up some things at the house. It’s actually a good thing. I will feel much better after we get a few things taken care of. It’s just driving me crazy that things are not done. But once we get these few things done I won’t have to worry about them anymore at all. At least not until we start another project, which I don’t think will be for a while yet.

Menu for today (just because it helps me stay on track when I post it):
Breakfast:
2 c. coffee w/FF vanilla creamer (and less creamer than I usually use)
1 c. Kashi Go Lean cereal
¼ c. LF granola cereal
1 c. skim milk
1 banana

Lunch:
1 can diet black cherry vanilla coke
2 slices whole grain bread
2 oz. turkey lunch meat
1 slice American cheese
1 dill pickle spear
1 oz. FF potato chips
1 kiwi

Snack:
Baby carrots

Dinner (Yum yum yum, three of my favorite foods):
Salmon cakes
Snap peas
Cornbread muffin

Question of the Day
Do you set dieting timelines or deadlines? Do you think the practice is beneficial?
Sometimes I do. Like right now, I want to be below 200 by my birthday at the end of May. But most of the time I don’t set any deadlines, and even if I do set one I don’t really get upset if I don’t meet it as long as I’ve lost something and made progress. Sometimes I think setting deadlines can be detrimental to the process, as your body will lose weight when it wants to and the only thing the deadline does is give you a reason to beat yourself up when you don’t make it… that’s not good. But I also understand that deadlines can provide a goal, something to work towards, and, in some cases, motivation, particularly when there’s some event serving as a deadline, like… *ahem*… a wedding, or a vacation.
I guess what I’m saying is… I’m divided, as usual, and can see both sides of the story. As long as you don’t get too caught up in either one, I say do what makes sense to you.

OK, as I said, lots of work to do, and another meeting in a few minutes. Have a good day, chicks.
~Elisha
Old 03-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #105  

Hello!

I took a vacation day today and you know what that means......I worked my arse off at home! I decided I couldn't put it off any longer and had to paint the bedroom. I was up before breakfast and started in; and, here it is a mere 12 hours later and I have hauled the furniture out, took down the drapes, spackled, sanded, painted, rehung the drapes, dragged the furniture back in......and also did 5 loads of laundry, made a trip to the pharmacy for DH, and cooked swiss steak for dinner. I AM WOMAN!!! The only thing left is to sit here and wait for my body to seize up.

TBJ......Great to see you! I am in for a calorie challenge too......though I think I might do a daily count not to be over XXXX calories? Or do you think a weekly total would be better......that would allow for an 'off' day and still be on track overall?

Joy.....Good job on avoiding the popcorn and drinking a little extra water instead! We both seem to be having trouble getting those calories down.....are you in for a calorie challenge next week?

Julie.....Oooohhhh, it is so hard to resist a chocolate chip cookie! There was one on my desk yesterday and I gobbled it down before I even had time to think!

Elisha.....You sound so busy at work! But that always make the days go faster, doesn't it? Mmmmm.......I love salmon cakes!.....and haven't made them in such a long time, so I guess I had better get busy!

I may forego WATP tonight.....and just curl up in an easy chair and vegetate! Tomorrow is another vacation day, and I better rest up!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote