Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #31  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Everyone ready to face the challenges that always happen during the weekend? At least challenges always happen to me.

I have pledged to myself to pass on cocktails and snacks this weekend and just eat like it is a regular ole Monday. While I generally mentally budget in treats and drinks, I have fallen into a "celebrate with food" pattern on the weekends -- every weekend. It's not terrible, but it isn't great either, and can easily get more out of hand than I would prefer. Sigh.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #32  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm really delighted that this thread is seeing some action, although I wish none of us were struggling with food addiction. Still, giving and receiving support is incredibly helpful, as far as I'm concerned.

Mrs Snark, I do think that this program has many ways of interpreting and it's the people that can make or break an experience for someone. Thanks for the complement about that photo, btw. I took it a few years ago when I was thinner than I am now....maybe around 153 or 155? I can't wait to be able to wear some of the super cute clothes in my closet.

mollyw, I really hope you get some help...that sounds really rough. My heart goes out to you and I hope you find a WOE that is perfectly balanced for your body.

Mrs Snark, yes, the weekends can be a challenge but for the most part, it's ok for me as long as I don't have to attend social gatherings with food that is out of my control (like a party, whereas at a restaurant, I can order what I want). I've actually stayed away from parties and after a while, people don't invite me as much anymore. However, at some point, I'll just have to allow myself to go and not worry so much about it. If I were to go to a party, I"d probably call my sponsor from the party and I would go over what's available and what I can have. It's not like I don't know, but just having that extra support gives me a secure feeling. I think others can incorporate this strategy with someone they trust who can support them during these types of occasions. Just some thoughts.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #33  
maintaining since 9/2013

Mrs Snark, I think you're so smart to recognize a possible pitfall and recommit to your goals. For me, staying focused is half the battle, and makes it uch easier to manage social occasions. That said, they are the biggest challenge for me. I like the idea of a sponsor or support person, luckmommy. Lately, I feel resentful at being invited to social events because I have such a difficult time with the food, whether buffet or sit-down dinner. I have more work to do, that's for sure. I wish food didn't have to be part of every gathering.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #34  
onedayatatimer

mars735, I hear you! It IS so frustrating that food is such an integral part of celebrations and get togethers and basically, all things social. Interestingly, I did the majority of my overeating/binging while alone or with my husband, since he has food addiction as well.

I went out to dinner with friends tonight and luckily, I was able to pick the restaurant. Everyone had desert except me and I was even luckier that they didn't pressure me into it, but I would say that this is unusual and most of the time, people get very put off by my food choices.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #35  
maintaining since 9/2013

All!
Hope everyone had a good weekend. The comments you have all contributed gave me so much to think about--huge thanks & shout out! My biggest accomplishment this weekend was mental. I love the healthy grocery store near me, Good Earth. I love the entire ritual of driving there and trolling the aisles, the beauty of the store and surrounding town, the like-minded people re good food, etc etc. I use their salad bar for my lunch mainstay. But there are 3 baskets of various cheesy baguettes right at the salad bar and a fresh, GF pizza buffet nearby, "healthy" bakery, etc etc. It has become a battle to resist the baguettes, one that I've lost a few times lately. Anyway, the end to this longwinded account is that I decided either to avoid the store for a while or refocus my mind & stop rationalizing and bargaining with myself to indulge--my addictive mind is a master at this game, lol! I was able to shop and enjoy myself and know that everything not on my grocery list was off limits.

The downside to the weekend was, once again, thinking I could manage walnuts. In short, I can't. This time it was homemade walnut pesto. After doing some damage to my planned low cal day, I had to throw it away. I swear it was calling out to me from the back of the freezer. I'm more successful with simple foods that I like but don't love.

Daylight is noticeably shortening up here at latitude 38. This presents new challenges for some of us, but that's a ramble for another day.

Have a great week everyone!

Last edited by mars735; 08-04-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #36  
Borderline Amazing!!!

S/C/G: 230/228/165

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone! I'm really happy to find this thread. I'm hoping it can help me with my situation.

I work at a realtors office as an office administrator. Tuesday - Thursday lunch is catered and it is never healthy. But I can't help but go down and grab something, even if I have a much healthier option in the fridge. And the portions I get are out of control.

My hubby is so nice and hasn't said anything, but I know he wants me to lose weight.

I'm ready to change! I'm hoping that getting back on 3FC with finally give me the push I need to start walking/jogging again and put the fork down!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #37  
onedayatatimer

Hello there everyone!

Mars735, I applaud your determination to avoid the baguettes and walnuts. I don't know if I've used this analogy before in my posts, but here goes anyway:
how many times do we need to get into the boxing ring before we realize that we will get a bloody nose 99% of the time?

For me, having a food I can't eat without losing my mind is just not worth it. Some may see this as a life that is sad and pathetic but that's like saying an alcoholic's life is sad and pathetic if they can't get a buzz or wasted from drinking. These "limitations" on foods have given me a freedom and have saved my life because I was really slowly killing myself with foods that I just can't eat reasonably.

Lately, I've realized that I can't eat guacamole but avocado is fine.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and that your week will be a good one.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #38  
maintaining since 9/2013

to the Food Addicts thread, BrittanieYork!

So true luckmommy. 'Losing my mind' around food is SO not worth it.

And once again you sound like my twin, except I can't handle avocado either.

I'm mulling over the idea that, for me anyway, food needs to be taken out of the realm of reward, entertainment, comfort as much as possible. Eating is intrinsically rewarding and that's fine, but is it necessary to doll up one's food, even with so-called healthy things? I've sensed for a while, that I am most satisfied with simple, fresh, & natural food, without it having to excite the palate. I think this is what David Kessler is getting at in his book about addictive foods that are stimulating. Although he is referring to processed foods that are designed to make us crave more, I am susceptible to all sorts of whole foods that taste "too good."

Last edited by mars735; 08-05-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #39  
onedayatatimer

I agree with you completely, mars735. Food has to be simple, filling and healthy or else it really messes with my mind. I can handle avocado and it doesn't make me binge but the restrictor in me winces at the caloric content. I'm hoping I can incorporate it more often once I hit goal. I know it shouldn't be that way, but if it's working for me now, why should I change it just because it's irrational Sometimes I'm amazed at how crazy I sound!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #40  
Melissa

S/C/G: 250/229/175

Height: 5'6

This is a group where I belong! I have only VERY recently realized that food IS an addiction for me. Like any true addict, I've always truly thought I was in control of my eating and that I could stop if I actually wanted to. Boy, have I realized that that is SO not the case.

I had the Lap Band surgery back in 2010, but because of my addiction, the band was never actually able to help me. Because despite the throwing up I would STILL hork it down because I HAD to eat. Only very recently did I come to grips with the fact that it was a true problem for me.

I'm following the OA philosophy of one day at a time. I can't promise myself to see this through to the end, as I've said in other posts, I can't even commit to a week. But I CAN make good choices and not give in to addiction ONE DAY AT A TIME.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #41  

Oh thank you so much for the kind words. I had a girls weekend away last weekend and felt in control. I had one cocktail the whole weekend and actually ran/walked on the treadmill at the hotel. We ordered pizza on Friday and went out for Mexican food on Saturday. I didn't gain any weight.

Hubby just got lab work back and he is low on B-12. We will both start a multiple-vitamin.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #42  
onedayatatimer

Welcome aboard BamaGalRN! I realized a few years ago that I was addicted to food, so I totally get it. I'm glad you posted. Are you actually doing the OA program? I am so I was just wondering.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #43  
Melissa

S/C/G: 250/229/175

Height: 5'6

No, not officially, but I wish I could!! Between my husband, kids, church, and school obligations I just can't fit in anything else in. Ugh! I have been researching OE online and would LOVE to chat with you more about it. I KNOW I'm an addict and I know I need help... I feel pretty good about where I am at the moment, but I know addictions ebb and flow and I'm probably just in an ebb type cycle.

What has helped you most?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:18 AM   #44  

I'm very happy for this thread, thank you...and i hope it stays active because i AM a food-addict and no one can convince me otherwise. Addiction comes in many forms and why is food no less?

But i digress, this isn't a thread for debate.

Now.. if i didn't have the appetite of 3 men, i would be very very happy. Is food addiction the same as having a huge appetite? LOL
Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #45  
maintaining since 9/2013

Great question, ReillyJ, seriously!!! Sometimes I feel as if I get more hungry as I'm eating. I think we're at the dawn of time in understanding our biology re appetite, cravings, etc.

Do you find that certain foods give you more or less appetite? Sometimes I feel just right....it helps me to eat slowly or at least pause long enough to let my body realize I've eaten. Life doesn't always permit this pace so I have to sometimes re-assure myself that I have eaten enough, even though appetite wants more. Remembering to do that is a challenge!

Two of my big pitfalls are boredom & my addictive brain trying to get me to eat sweets or even healthy but overly rich food....it takes constant awareness. I have a wave pattern of eating over the past several months, not exactly a yoyo. I'm always either veering off and gaining a little or correcting. So far, this time, I'm catching it before the runaway train of appetite and craving kicks in, whew!

I'm reading a book called Addiction and Grace, by Gerald May MD, from the 1980s. Maybe I'll post his definition of addiction, once I finish the book.

BamaGalRN! I think there is online support from OA--luckymommy probably knows more about it. I have the same restraint about adding more time commitments right now. The sponsorship could be a powerful support.
Closed Thread