Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #1  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Default Less restricting to help stop binges...?

I binge eat probably 1x per week on average. I hate it. The next day (or few hours) I feel sick, bloated, guilty, ugly, ashamed... You would think that would be enough motivation to stop, but it's apparently not.

The day after these binges I feel like I need to cut back and hardly eat at all- I feel almost as strong of a pull against food as the pull toward food during a binge... So binge day is usually about 4-5,000 calories and the next day or two I feel guilty if I eat more than 1,000. I figure that's not the end of the world... But when I DO only allow myself 1,000 or less calories, I feel so good and in control that I want to keep doing it. So for the next few days I have to force myself to get to 1300- and I don't like to go over that number. I don't need to lose more weight, I just feel like I'm winning when I eat less. (also I run 30-35 miles a week, am on my feet for 2 jobs and weight lift for an hour on top of that 5x per week). I realize it's insane and unsustainable... After about a week of restricting- I binge and the cycle continues.

Every week I tell myself that, "next week I'll bump my calories up to 1700", but then I binge and feel the need to counter-balance it by starving.

Realistically I'm pretty sure that if I keep myself nourished enough, I probably wouldn't be so likely to binge... But what if I do? What if I'm eating at my real maintenance and still have a food-fest every week? I'll gain weight and just the thought of it is unrationally stressful.

Has anyone else felt stuck in this cycle? What did you do?

Thanks to anyone who got through that mess!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I think you need to allow yourself a week with increased calories to see how you react mentally and physically. I know for me, being restrictive triggers binges so it's very possible that is the issue for you too.

Good luck!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I agree that you'll probably be less likely to binge if you eat more every day. I eat about 1,900 to 2,000 calories per day to maintain my weight and have "planned binges" about once a month (e.g., pigging out at an all-you-can-eat sushi place). The following day or two I may eat a couple hundred calories less than usual, but that's about all.

I find this regimen prevents me from feeling deprived, and the pigouts are infrequent enough not to derail my weight management efforts.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #4  
Miral Paris

S/C/G: 191/140

Height: 5/5

I think you might have an eating disorder. You might want to check out some professional help. I did that myself, and while I didn't like the treatment there may be better places out there.
Miral Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

Restricting calories does not necessarily lead to binges. Many people eat around 1200-1300 calories and do not binge. If I were you I would try to see what emotion makes you eat that way... And I would try to work in order to understand the feeling and solve the reasons leading to it.
And if you binge, as soon as you are hungry again start eating "normally", don't try to compensate for the extra food with quasi-fasting. Jump in where you are, and stick to a routine. Eating should become something natural and almost mechanical, not a stressful moment. Having too much to choose from stresses me out, for example. So today I can choose among tangerines, salad, soup, tuna, whole wheat crackers, yogurt. That's all there is!
Good luck!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #6  

Height: 5ft3

When I was in therapy - they advised me to eat every three hours - I used to have 3 meals at about 300-350 cals and 2 small snacks - this stopped the hunger -I can now make it without the small snacks but not if i don't eat enough filling food at mealtimes ....if i get hungry I then get into twisted and insane logic.....ie I shouldn't be eating at this time - it's extra eating - so might as well binge

Maybe start writing down what and when you eat and perhaps you will see some patterns
Jalsa is offline   Reply With Quote