Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/140

Height: 5"7

Question How do you handle the daily battle?

Like all of you, I've battled with my weight since.. well probably birth it seems! I started doing something about is 6 years ago when I was a senior in high school. My senior year I lost 50 pounds (went from 220 at my highest, to 170) then gained back 25 after I got married to a hottie who can eat anything he wants and still be all lean muscle (thats a whole other topic). Then in 2008-2009 I went from 195 to 155 (lost 40) and now I've gained 10 pounds (back to 165). So that's my roller coaster for the past 6 years. I know what it takes to lose weight. I have accepted the fact that it's a mental problem now. I think about food 24/7. I think about what I am going to eat ALL THE TIME. I am the kind of person who will be eating a piece of pizza and eyeing the last slice hoping that I will get it before DH does. It's sick, I know. But I want to FIX me. So, does anyone know of any good self-help books or anything that you use to help you with the mental challenge of losing weight? Any tricks or tips for fighting the battle inside?
aerogora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #2  

Unfortunately I don't have any good tips for you. But I've battled the same thing. When I gained weight, everything was about food. I could't wait until the next meal time. Then I decided to change my lifestyle, and it's STILL all about food. Now it's healthy food, new recipes, calories in/out, do I have room for chocolate/cake/cookies and if I eat it will I gain weight, etc. I guess this is a good change but I still feel like I'm obsessing over food and I want it to stop and just get easier. Who knows if that will ever happen for me. Hopefully you will get some good responses on this.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler it's part scientific explaination for why we obsess, part self-help.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany0809 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any good tips for you. But I've battled the same thing. When I gained weight, everything was about food. I could't wait until the next meal time. Then I decided to change my lifestyle, and it's STILL all about food. Now it's healthy food, new recipes, calories in/out, do I have room for chocolate/cake/cookies and if I eat it will I gain weight, etc. I guess this is a good change but I still feel like I'm obsessing over food and I want it to stop and just get easier. Who knows if that will ever happen for me. Hopefully you will get some good responses on this.
I have the same problem--I feel like obsessing over (healthy) food isn't any better mentally than obsessing over junk food, but it seems to be one or the other for me. I don't know how to get out of the cycle.

I'm seen lots of recommendations for the End of Overeating book--I maybe have to look into it.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/184/130ish - 33 y.o.

Height: 5'2"

i feel like i'm doing a balancing act too. and it's not any better being completely focused on it either way. i can say though that after about 6 weeks of being this healthy me, the thoughts have dissappated a little. when i was at my HW, i wasn't thinking about food all the time, just eating whatever and whenever i so desired. i suppose it just takes practice to not think about it (don't think about the elephant!). and i find that having my meals prepared, or atleast planned, makes some of the anxiety go away a tad too.
good luck in the battle.
jlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Something that helps me a lot: counting calories, keeping a food journal and planning. Things will come up and I am often around temptations, but if I know that I've had my alloted calories and if I know that a given food is just too much calorie bang for the allowed calorie buck, I usually can avoid it. I have a food addiction, so there are (frequent, but not as before) times when I am craving, searching, longing and desperate for something I want to have. I have developed a plan of action that I turn to during those times (usually, when a binge comes on, I can't really think straight). So....I have listed what I do frequently on this board, so if you've already seen it, then you already know my tricks and I don't want to bore you. If not, it's things that generally distract me from the binge like: chewing gum, taking a walk, drinking tea....the list goes on. The best thing is for you to make up your own list and just do the best you can. You can do this!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote