Old 05-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #256  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I disappeared late last month due to finals and craziness! I'm back now, although I'm taking an eight week microbiology (along with another class) this summer, so I'll likely be crazy towards the end of July too.

I'm down 36 pounds since starting at the end of March (28th? 29th? somewhere in there). Feeling great and feeling like I am slimming down a bit. Looking forward to more weight loss over the summer as I go into my next goal of 250.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #257  

jennyloo

I use coarse sea salt with a grinder, I love it! One day I had to add regular salt it was awful, I never thought there was that much of a difference until I really compared the two...

Today was my 20% for the rest of the week...
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #258  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Evening everybody!

Go Jennyloo! What good work!

Well, Adele, if the number is too scary, you come here to us and we'll hold you up It's just a temporary number right?

I was driving home tonight with my right hand on the steering wheel and my left hand on my right upper arm. There's some nice little muscle under there!

Ya know the fat with blueberry concoction I was eating last week? I made it with raisins this time. (butter, coconut oil, coconut, ground almonds and raisins) A nice sweet treat! But I can't make any more because someone ate my raisins.

Rattlesnake eh?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #259  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

I am getting goosebumps thinking about rattlesnake!

So, last week for one day I saw a lower number on the scale, but it's right back up again and I am getting a tad frustrated. I have given all of my grains and sugars up, and for what?? A ten pound weight loss early on adn then a big long stall?

I went over my numbers on fitday.

This month averages are: 1819 calories
57% fat, 30% protein and 13% carbs

And two month average is (we can't get month to month averages, so it's only the combination)
1900 calories
57% fat, 28% protein and 15% carbs,

so obviously I was eating more carbs last month, in order for the carb average to rise. ALSO, I was eating less on average than last month.

What am I doing wrong?

I am still well pleased that I've started this. I feel free of the monster of addictive patterns, which is such a fantastic goal, but I would like to see weight loss, too!
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #260  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Kathy I completely feel you...I feel so much better yet I'm stalling too. I know that my physical activity is way down from where it was in April so I'm contributing it to that. I was jogging almost 4x wk in April and this month I've been walking and doing some weights but I think the jogging helps my big thighs burn the fat I need to!LOL! I'm going back to more cardio and then I'll see if I'm actually stalling. I hope you can figure it out, take a look at your menu, too much chesse? dairy? fruit? hidden carbs? We are here to help! Are you still losing inches? I hate the power that number on the scale has on us...me included!

Jennylou- Awesome work! Drop in whenever!

I use coarse sea salt too(grinded), I wonder why I never used it in the past...it is soo good!!!!!!

Okay Bob, where is the rattlesnake story? Did I miss it? We have rattlesnakes here in my neck of the woods but I haven't seen any big enough to make it worth eating!

Adele- It is just a number, there are plenty of more worthy ways of determining our health! Whenever you are ready! I think it takes some people longer to realize that they are just as worthy as their kids to be treated good, congrats on that realization!

I'm pretty busy lately, my son is out of school for the summer so our days are pretty much, wake up, eat breakfast, go to the pool for swim lessons, swim more, swim some more, come home and try to relax!(thats more for me!!!), eat, play more, take a walk, run errands, eat and sleep(hopefully a long time)! I love the summer time though so I'm ready for the long days!

Today went well:

B:eggs,bacon,espresso w/cream
L/S:kale/blackberry/raspberry/milk shake
D:sauteed mushrooms,onion,garlic,arugula,spinach,basil and goat cheese burger. YUM! my kitchen is smelling a little gnarly though!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #261  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

I grew up in the Mojave Desert where rattlesnake hunting was a rite of passage. As kids we caught them with fishing poles. I could go on and on about hunting rattlesnakes, but I'll spare you.

My hunt yesterday was a complete bust. Mocha, my trusty snake dog, was shaking with pleasure when she realized the we were headed deep into the desert with a giant cooler of ice water. That could only mean rattlesnakes. They really get her worked up. She's a good bird dog, but a shotgun and camo never gets her wimpering and whining with excitement just to be in the truck. So a half mile into our search she springs a Jack Rabbit and completely loses her mind. Two miles of sprinting across the desert and she comes back limping and wimpering not from excitement, but from an injured leg. I helped her into the truck and went home.

She seems fine today. Probably a mild hyperextension. I substituted Tilapia for rattler and grilled rib eyes. Today I learned Tilapia may need avoiding. Sigh. I hate being a noob.

Kara, the little Sidewinders out here are some of the best eating.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #262  

Why does Tilapia need avoiding?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #263  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Well, I'm buying into the primal theories that our omega 3s and 6s are way out of balance and we don't get near the vitamin D we should. I supplement O-3s and D. I'm trying, very hard mind you, to limit my O-6s. But I am not giving up bacon, beef and chicken. I am avoiding refined oils, which is a challenge. I am eating a lot more fish and other seafoods than usual, and really enjoying it. BUT it turns out Tilapia has almost no O-3s, tops 80-20 ground beef in 06s, and is farmed in rather filthy conditions where it literally lives off of other species feces. There's plenty of affordable options with high o-3s and not all the other baloney.

Tilapia issues

More

Last edited by BibBob; 05-24-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: edit to add a couple articles on the Tilapia thing:
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #264  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibBob View Post
Well, I'm buying into the primal theories that our omega 3s and 6s are way out of balance and we don't get near the vitamin D we should. I supplement O-3s and D. I'm trying, very hard mind you, to limit my O-6s. But I am not giving up bacon, beef and chicken. I am avoiding refined oils, which is a challenge. I am eating a lot more fish and other seafoods than usual, and really enjoying it. BUT it turns out Tilapia has almost no O-3s, tops 80-20 ground beef in 06s, and is farmed in rather filthy conditions where it literally lives off of other species feces. There's plenty of affordable options with high o-3s and not all the other baloney.

Tilapia issues

More
Good to know! I had no idea.

I am going to try canned salmon and sardines (EUGH!) as they are less expensive options of very high omega3's. I guess I;m moving up the timeline on that.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #265  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

When I was calorie counting I ate a lot of tilapia. It's soooo bland! I was going to try it again because I could slather it with things that actually taste good but it's never been on sale Now I don't think I'll bother.

I went to bed early last night to watch TV (go Flyers) and to think about stalling. Judging from us here and some that I've read on the PB forum, it's pretty common, especially with women. I'm going to try to explain what I was thinking which may turn out to be nebulous and nonsensical ... please feel free to skip along to the next post.

There is no doubt that a lot of folks lose water weight when they first start cutting back on carbs. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Almost every day I look after a patient that needs diuresis. It's not much of a leap to believe that some of us carry too much fluid as a matter of course. For me, it's not a good sign to have puffy hands, feet and face off and on during the course of my life. Mildly yes, maybe heat induced but not uncomfortable amounts of swelling on a regular basis.
If I were to go to my doc and complain of that puffiness and I had high blood pressure, chances are that he would try a fluid pill first. Then it gets more complicated because you still need fluid and fluid balance but not interstitial fluid.

Now blood sugar. I feel as if I cycle blood sugar "off the top". I eat something to give me energy to do what I have to do and when I get that tired, low feeling, it's time to top up my blood sugar to get on with my day. If my body has had almost 50 years practice with that "call and response" system ... it's going to be hard work for it (me) to learn to do something else. Not only with regard to insulin response (and all the hormonal stuff I barely understand) but also mentally.
Am I tired or hungry? Is my sugar about to drop or do I need a rest? Energy from body fat could kick in at any time now! I've got three hours left in this shift
I don't know how to explain this part very well ... our bodies are not out to get us but I do think they'll function in the easiest way possible. It's much harder work to gather energy from stored body fat than it is to search for blood sugar, find none and suggest a rest instead. And I'm not sure that my body learned to do this and then just kept doing it. I think it's a process (both mental and physical) that evolves over time. And I can go with the flow or mess it up a few times ... which may or may not slow the process.
We talk about trigger foods. Mmmm my daughter makes a gooood apple crisp! And it did send me carb craving. I'm not sure if I messed up some progress or if I just had glitch or I just "thought" I'd made a mistake (and we all know how powerful our minds can be).

And then there's exercise. I'm around about 3 or 3 1/2 months now and still have not had a super-exertion cardio workout or a heavy lifting session of any length. Could my stored body fat support one? Probably. Am I kinda afraid it might not? Yup! I've had a hypoglycemic episode lifting weights before and it ain't fun.
There's also the matter of it not being necessary yet I'm shrinking and feel good. Why bother doing something hard, sweaty and scary? Complacent? You bet!

Homeostasis, optimal functioning, optimal body composition are all mysteries that I'm beginning to get the gist of inspite of the fact that I've probably never had then. I'm not sure I'll recognise them.

I think that a bunch of us here have been around the block a time or two. I certainly wouldn't have been excited, about a program that promised me a small loss in 90 days with gradual improvement ever after, seven or eight years ago.

I'm running out of thoughts now Have a good day.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #266  

I do not like Tilapia and have never had success in cooking it at all... Give me fresh or canned salmon or canned tuna any ole day...

I made and ate strawberry/rhubarb crisp, had a small DQ cone this weekend, 5 lbs of bloat this morning ... No matter what plan you're on, if you fall of you gain...PERIOD!!!

Today will be a good day ... That's my excuse and I`m sticking with it ...
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #267  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibBob View Post
BUT it turns out Tilapia has almost no O-3s, tops 80-20 ground beef in 06s, and is farmed in rather filthy conditions where it literally lives off of other species feces. There's plenty of affordable options with high o-3s and not all the other baloney.
I thought this was interesting off Wikipedia, re BibBob's mentioning the Omega-6 levels in Tilipia:

Research published in July 2008, suggests the nutritional value of farm raised Tilapia may be compromised due to the amount of corn included in the feed. The corn contains short chain omega-6s that contribute to the buildup of these materials in the fish. "Ratios of long-chain omega-6 to long-chain omega-3, AA to EPA respectively, in tilapia averaged about 11:1, compared to much less than 1:1 (indicating more EPA than AA) in both salmon and trout." The report also observes that the 1.5 million tons of Tilapia were produced in the US in 2005, with 2.5 million tons projected by 2010. Wide spread publicity encouraging people to eat more fish has seen Tilapia being purchased by those with lower incomes who are trying to eat a well balanced diet. The lower amounts of Omega-3 and the higher ratios of Omega-6 compounds in US farmed Tilapia raise questions of the health benefits of consuming this fish.

Dang corn, gets into EVERYTHING, doesn't it?

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 05-25-2010 at 10:06 AM.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #268  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkshireGrl View Post
Wide spread publicity encouraging people to eat more fish has seen Tilapia being purchased by those with lower incomes who are trying to eat a well balanced diet.
This is exactly why I was eating it. I am BAWK BAWK about eating sardines, so I was buying frozen tilapia in bulk and eating it. I think it's tasty if cooked in butter. After my last batch in the freezer (no way I'm gonna throw it out. We do not have money to waste) I'm going to try and get over my fear of canned salmon and sardines.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #269  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykathy View Post
Ingredients

* 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
* 3 tablespoons good olive oil
* 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt (I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately.
Brussels sprouts is one food I keep trying to like because they are so good for you... I am going to give this a shot tonight and see if I can overcome the trauma from eating washed-out boiled ones in school lunches Thanks for the recipe!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #270  

A good fish I enjoy is called Basa. Vietnamese catfish. I find it meatier then a lot of fish. Actually I enjoy any catfish as well as canned salmon. Those seem to be my 2 to-go-to fishes.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote