Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #31  

Did 1 hour of lifting (5x5 bench, 5x5 row, 3x5 close grip bench with bands, 3x5 DB curls, 3x5 rack pulls), and 30 min. on the elliptical trainer (450 Cal)

Aiming for 2,500 Cal today (94g protein) including two drinks tonight.

I am planning on 3,600 Cal/day for Sat and Sunday, and then back to 1,500-2,000/ day during the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
DJS
Isn't it just so unfair that the myth of the overweight=lazy prevails in our society? I find that just the opposite is true. Unfortunately, those who are not as thin as others, feel they are under the microscope and they work really hard so they are not discriminated against or judged. I hope that if you do have to consider applying for another position you will feel confident that you work at least as diligently as your "fluff challenged" peers
They would be right if it were a level playing field, and I do think that all the people on the maintainers forum have proven that they are extremely disciplined and motivated. However, if you are naturally thin being skinny is not evidence of any virtue. Yes, my obesity is a sign of me being undisciplined, but most people are less disciplined then I am.

I am surprised that in my line of work (academic scientist) that the hiring process is not based overwhelmingly on merit, but other factors end up being extremely important in the hiring process. My current position is a dead end job (non-tenure track), but I am trying to move up to a tenure track position at another university.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Boomerang- enjoy your cake (and happy bday to your dad!) Congrats on your binge free 14 days, that's awesome!

Robert, I work for a university also (except I'm in the social sciences). I'm very aware of the challenges faced by academic scientists, and in the job search as well. There are so many other factors that I'd never even considered before working where I am, and it takes a lot of thick skin to stay in the game. Good luck- I hope you find something soon!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #33  

Height: 1'7.5"

Robert, I really feel for you, re. the tenure track + hard money position. My DH is in the same profession and was in a similar situation about 15 years ago. When he told me that he'd drive 1.5 hr. one way to take a teaching position because research grants were drying up I was resistant. Turned out he was right. Being a neuroscientist these days is no easy feat when it comes to funding. I hope you can find a position that works for you.
Good job on planning your days and the work-outs too! I also keep my cals relatively high, knowing that it may take me a bit longer to lose the weight, but at the moment I am focused on not binging as well as changing the things I eat (and especially the things I DON'T eat )

djs, thank you very much I walked that thin line separating overeating and binging but was able to refrain from binging (barely ). We have an adopted family member who has access to the most amazing bakery and as usual, he showed up with 2 cakes and a box of mini pastries....

My DH has something in common with Robert and I have something in common with you, professionally, though I am REEEEEEEEEEEtired . I can relate to the the experiences that you and Robert are going through. Amazing, particularly in some Universities where you basically have to bring in your own salary AND the overhead! Frankly, I think it is outrageous and it affects the choices some of the H.S. students make, when choosing a profession. OK now, off my box
Everybody, have a great day. Our humidity and temps are making me unhappy but I am glad that I was able to walk the last three days, when rain was forecast.

Last edited by boomerang; 09-24-2011 at 01:26 PM.
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #34  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Height: 5'5"

Happy Saturday!

I'm so looking forward to next year when I stop thinking about my size compared to everyone else in the room. Had a school event last night and found myself wondering what the thin, tall mom thought as she talked with me. I'll be so glad when my mind and body are in a healthier place.

Jazzercise this morning and continuing to put the house back together now that the floor remodel is done. Keeping calories pretty low today to give myself some room tonight as we head to a friend's house. I like having just a little freedom.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Lisa
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #35  

Hi everybody Hope you're all having a good weekend. Yesterday I had the unique experience of not binging after an off plan day. If I am not mistaken, that may be a first! I have to admit, the accountability thread is a real motivator and I am so grateful to have found it, as well as you guys. I actually stop and think of you when I am even considering ahem, an "adjustment" to my program . Thank you!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #36  

Hello and welcome. If you would like to post to the Weekly Chat-Check in thread, please do so here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calo...-2-2011-a.html
Thank you