Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

Default Very overweight, should I start with a high calorie count?

I am trying VERY hard to keep my calories under control - this is not my first time losing weight (even significant amounts) by counting calories but this is my first time being SO HUNGRY all the time! And it's not like the hunger you can just suffer through and ignore because ok, it's uncomfortable but it's not going to kill you - it's like headache, trying not to throw up, can't think straight hunger. For about two weeks now I start out every day and do really well till mid afternoon (you know, like NOW) and then I'm so hungry it's like I can't fill up. I don't eat junk, I try to make sure every calorie I eat is FILLING (so no puffed air snacks, no 100 calorie packs, no fruit without a side of protein, etc) but I can not get by on 1500 calories.

It is it even dieting if I start at 2000 calories and then slowly cut back? I NEED to lose weight, I've shot up about 30 pounds since this time last year (and I was already quite overweight) and frankly, it's just scary. However, I can not function and do what I need to do if I'm hungry and shaky (who thought a person could be shaky on 1500 calories?!?!) so I'm looking for alternatives.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I think starting at 2000 and very gradually working down is a good idea. You could well find that 2000 absolutely counted calories is a lot less than you were eating before you started. Plus, it gives you somewhere to drop to, should you need to later.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/172.6/145

Height: 5'6

I would definitely give 2000 a try for a couple weeks. If it doesn't seem to work, maybe drop it and see what happens then. 1650 works well for me, and I weigh less than you. It may come down to a lot of patience to see what limit is perfect for you, but when you find it, it'll be worth it.

Also, maybe look at what you're eating and see if you need something more filling. I've found a few veggies that are great for filling me up, because I can eat a lot with consuming few calories.

Hang in there!
AlyssaMcN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I think starting at 2000 and very gradually working down is a good idea. You could well find that 2000 absolutely counted calories is a lot less than you were eating before you started. Plus, it gives you somewhere to drop to, should you need to later.
I agree.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

2000 per day is very close to where I started.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #6  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I started by just writing down WHAT I was eating for the first week, that helped me figure out how to cut down, what time of day I ate the most and what kinds of food I really needed to fix. it also helped so that I was not obsessing about food all day because I was on a "diet"
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Dieting does not equal 1200 calories. If you were like 140-150 lbs maybe.

The general consensus seems to be 100 calories for every 10 lbs is what your body needs to MAINTAIN it's weight. So for you you'd need 2870 calories a day to stay at 287 pounds. To lose weight you need to take in a bit less, so if you do an intake of 75% of that you'd need around 2150 calories per day, so yup I think 2000 is a good start. Make sure to fill that with nutritious food that will satisfy you
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Not only is it still dieting if you start at 2000, it's still dieting even if you never cut back any further. It's possible that you could reach your goal weight never eating less than 2000 calories.

Not everyone can reach their goal weight on 2000 calories, but many people can and do.

When I was in my 20's, I lost quite a bit on Nutrisystem and my calorie level was either 2250 or 2500 (I don't remember which) and on another plan (Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating) my calorie plan was 2000 calories - and I was losing 5 to 7 lbs a week for the first three or four months (which means if I had eaten 3000 calories, I would have lost 3 to 5 lbs a week, and that still would have been dieting, too).

There are no "rules" as to where you have to start, you just have to start somewhere and find a place that allows you to lose weight in reasonable comfort. If you have very unpleasant side effects such as fatigue, headaches and lightheadedness, you're not going to stick with that calorie level, and there's no need to.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #9  

Thanks so much for all the advice!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

There is no need for you to be hungry! Absolutely, not necessary. If you are hungry, my thought is you are probably eating the wrong thing. Go for plenty of lean proteins early in the day--egg whites, pork tenderloin, super lean ham, etc. Also, beans and lentils are EXCELLENT ways to stay filled up AND in your calorie range. There are also some other things--go very moderate on your complex carbs and I would say darned near ZERO white, junky carbs.

I wish someone had told me about the importance of the glycemic index and it's effects on blood sugar and hunger when I first began. Google the term and read, read, READ!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Btw, Alyssa above mentioned eating veggies to really "fill up." One of the things I like the most is smashed cauliflower. Veggies can be REAL lifesavers. I don't think you could come anywhere close to eating 1000 calories worth of veggies daily--let alone 2000. Just be careful not to add a bunch of calories during preparation.

I also like Shiratake noodles. (40 calories a bag and found in the produce refrigerated section.) I also like Arctic Zero Ice Cream--under 150 calories a pint. I also LOVE, LOVE good 'ole black coffee with a splash of almond milk and splenda. It is filling and when I know I am too close for comfort on daily calories, I put a pot on. WATER will also do amazing things for staving off hunger. Another thing too--one COUNTED serving of raw almonds can REALLY do the trick. Count out 15 and put them in a baggy and throw them in your purse. They are a great fix when you are out and about and are DYING to get something.

I hope something here helps. Get past the first week or two--hang with 3FC often and you WILL get through this.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 155/114/110

Height: 5'3

Great advice from of you so far!
I would only add that it seems to me that sometimes we feel so much pressure to lose weight as fast as possible, for many of us, that seem to be the incentive to cut calories so dastrically. Even though I only had to lose 40pounds or so, my experience during the year since my weight loss journey started is that it's better to set up reasonable goals that allow yourself to enjoy food and have a social life. I've been surprised at how well my body has reacted, especially since I've excercising consistently (4x per week/walking/jogging/biking/ 2x per week moderate weight lifting).
A good workout will help you burn the excess calories you might ingest and continue losing weight.

Best of lucks to you!!

Caribbean Girl
caribbeangirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #13  

Thanks soooo much for all the advice, I'm taking notes!

Everyone has given such thoughtful replies and I appreciate it so much!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

BREAKFAST.

I've found my BIGGEST tool in keeping from being starving is to have a good breakfast. Then I have a very healthy lunch of lean protien and veg (like a salad with a bit of chicken, or a veg stirfry with a few shrimp) and save about half my calories of a big dinner so I'm not rummaging through the fridge at midnight. I know the old saying is that you should eat light at night, but it doesn't work for me.

Breakfast for me is usually a bowl of oatmeal with two TBSP crunchy peanutbutter mixed with a half a pack of Splenda. I find that holds me over for HOURS.

Another thing I like that isn't quite so heavy, but sticks to my particular ribs is to toast a slice of twelve grain bread, spread a wedge of laughing cow on it, and then put a poached egg on top. It's 215 calories, and really satisfies me.
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #15  

I just started recording and counting calories (again) myself. I thought I'd try starting at 1400 a day, but I, too, am hungry ALL the time.

I think I'm starting to come around to the idea of starting strong instead of starting drastically. 2000 a day seems like a better choice. Thanks for posting the thread!
PDXgirl is offline   Reply With Quote