Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default Filling Foods

The last two days I have been great OP. I am for 1600 calories a day but never quite get there. Yesterday I had about 1500 calories and today about 1400.
I still feel hungry though like all the time. What is a good food to make you really fill full for a long amount of time, without feeling hungry every hour.
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Maybe you can share with us what you're eating and we can help make suggestions.

Protein and healthy fats will help you feel full and keep you feeling full for longer.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #3  

Default Meal today

Okay well these are the things I have been eating mostly

Special K Cereal with 1% milk for breakfast
Turkey on Wheat or Chicken breast on Wheat for Lunch with no cheese and mustard
for dinner I Usuaully have Pork chops or Chicken usually its chicken with carrots, green beans or broccoli.

Through out the day I usually snack on fruit like grapes, apples, bananas, and oranges. I also like Wheat Thins and I watch the servings I eat.

Sometimes for like work I will have a lean cuisine meal since I am on the go at work, and can't have some big meal. but I try to always pack fruit and small snacks with me.

This is just some but a big part of what I eat

I only drink water!

Last edited by Kayhm0711; 10-04-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #4  

There's hardly any protein there. And a serving of Special K cereal with 1% milk is NOT enough to hold you over to lunch. It's barely over 100 calories.

Honestly I don't see anything near 1600 calories worth of food there, even if you fill in with snacks of fruit and Wheat Thins. I'm guess-timating you're getting under 1000 calories, if you're eating the way you describe.

You need to have protein in the morning with your breakfast and something more solid than just dry cereal with milk. Eggs, oatmeal, yogurt with fruit, something along those lines.

Fruit is good for you, but you need to add in more veggies. Fruits are high sugar/high carb items and you'll burn off that energy quickly and feel hungry afterward. Wheat Thins added to fruit are just carbs on top of sugar.

If you must have a piece of fruit for a snack try to pair it with some protein and fat to help you feel full. An apple and some cheese, for example.

But mostly I think if you eat a healthy breakfast it will help you with feeling hungry all day.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #5  
starting over again

Beans are a dieters best friend. They really do fill you up.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'd say the same as the other posters. Get some more protein--like a lowfat string cheese with your fruit snacks. It will help.

Of course, there will be times when you do feel a bit hungry. If you space your meals & snacks out 2-3 hours apart, you can feel hungry before that next food break comes around. As long as you truly are getting enough calories (and be sure to check), just tough it out.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #7  

yes. protein will also help you fill more 'full' while a lean protein wont tip you over the edge calorie wise either...
good luck.
walrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

Fiber also helps you feel full. Your carb choices are not bad but not as good as they could be.

There are higher fiber cereals then Special K and better cracker choices then wheat thins. Here is where it helps to read and compare labels when you are at the grocery store.
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I agree with what others have said, you need more protein, more fiber, healthy fats, and lots of veggies! Also, it looks like you are eating most of your calories at dinner. You'll feel less hungry throughout the day if you spread out your calories more evenly. For example, since you are striving for 1600 calories, breakfast can be 400 calories, lunch 400 calories, dinner 500 calories, and then you have room for two 150 calorie snacks.

For snacks I like to make sure I get protein in along with carbs. Besides the apple and cheese, you could have peanut butter with your apple, or hummus and veggies or whole grain crackers (I like Akmak or Rye crisps), veggies and cheese (you could even do a soft cheese to dip in), or a boiled egg and veggies or fruit. If you get creative the combos are endless. Some easily transported veggies snacks are, celery and carrot sticks, green beans (lightly steamed), cherry tomatoes, snap peas, pepper strips, turnip slices (raw), zucchini wedges (raw), etc.

Another thing to consider is that not all wheat bread is created equal. I would try to find a 100% wheat bread that has at least 2 grams of fiber per slice, more is better. The fiber will help keep you full longer.

For healthy fats, why not add some avocado slices to your sandwich (1/4 avocado is only about 70 calories)? Peanut butter has healthy fat in it as well.

Last edited by zenor77; 10-05-2008 at 12:49 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #10  

Default Peanut Butter

I know everyone says peanut butter is healthy but I always feel like it's so much fattening and high in calories. It's like 180 calories for so many tblspns something like that. That seems like a lot compared to like sliced turkey on a sandwich
Old 10-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #11  

Peanut butter is high in calories, yes, but they're GOOD calories. The fats in peanut butter are healthy fats and the level of protein you get for the calories is good.

Honestly, I'd rather have a T of peanut butter on a 1/2 an apple for a snack than any number of Wheat Thins. For the same amount of calories, you get healthy fats, proteins, and you'll feel fuller for longer.

It's not just the calories. It's the combination of nutrients as well. One will help you to feel satisfied. One will have you craving something else in a couple of hours.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #12  

Default Peanut Butter

Okay well maybe I will try that out and see it that will help me fill fuller. I have never really understood how any fat is good but I am sure with all the other nutrients are good for you too.

If you want like a peanut butter and jelly though isn't jelly bad?

I did recently buy some strawberry perserves and it is only like 10 calories or something really low. should I do that instead of jelly
Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 AM   #13  

Quote:
I have never really understood how any fat is good
Fat is not only good, it is NECESSARY. Healthy fats are a needed part of your daily nutrition. If you don't eat enough fat, you'll make yourself sick.

Quote:
If you want like a peanut butter and jelly though isn't jelly bad?
I don't think of foods as "good" or "bad". I look at the calorie range and the nutrient value of the food and decide if it's something I want to eat. I eat fruit preserves all the time with peanut butter. In fact what I'm taking with me to the office for lunch tomorrow is 2T of peanut butter and 1T of Sunspire Strawberry preserves on a slice of whole grain bread. I'll have that with an apple for lunch and it'll keep me satisfied until my snack in the mid-afternoon.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #14  

Trader Joe's has small packets of smoked salmon. Put it on good wheat bread for 200 calories. They also have kippers that are also rich and satisfying on good bread. I always have boiled eggs in the fridge; half the time just eat the whites. Jars of beets or artichoke hearts are great: eat the whole damn jar.
mbrightha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayhm0711 View Post
The last two days I have been great OP. I am for 1600 calories a day but never quite get there. Yesterday I had about 1500 calories and today about 1400.
I still feel hungry though like all the time. What is a good food to make you really fill full for a long amount of time, without feeling hungry every hour.
One thing I find quite filling is a breakfast that I enjoy. I take a slice of gluten-free bread (I am celiac) and toast it. While it is toasting, I mash a whole ripe banana with a little cinnamon. I spread that on my toast and have that with a hard boiled egg from the fridge.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote