3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Calorie Counters

can't get to 1200. who's on a 1200cal plan?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 333

Height: 5'10

Default can't get to 1200. who's on a 1200cal plan?

No matter how hard I try, I always end up up to 1400 calories when I am aiming for 1200. It's like my body just can't do it.

Today:

Coffee- 100 calories (was unsure, only used sugar and nondairy cream. overestimated)
toast- 60 calories

(this was before my workout)

Breakfast
Slimfast- 180 calories
grains (these have 30 calories per serving but i overestimated cause idk how my mom prepared it. I had about a half cup) 120 calories

Lunch-
Egg salad sandwich- 440 calories
Hot chocolate- 190 calories

Dinner-
Yogurt- 170 calories
Toast- 110 calories
3 slices of ham- 30 calories

TOTAL: 1400

So maybe I just should raise my calories to 1400. What do you think I can do to knock off 200 calories but still feel full. I know the hot chocolate could have helped but I had no idea until I looked on the starbucks website that it had 190 calories.

What are some things you guys are eating on 1200 calories that keep you really full? Any tips from anyone on a 1200 plan would be extremely helpful.

BTW I'm 5'10, 155 pounds. 16
__________________







Last edited by sweetlovin : 03-30-2008 at 08:43 PM.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Onward and Downward
 
meowee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,495

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default

Hi there Chickie . . .

First of all . . . 1400 calories should not be too high at your current weight, and especially at your age and height. I think you are aiming a little low at 1200. Weight loss tends to slow down when you get closer to goal so if you are a little higher now, you'll be able to cut back a bit as you lose without endangering your health.

Secondly . . . if/when you do want to cut down but still feel full . . . drop a couple of pieces of toast and eat lots and lots of vegetables - either cooked or raw or in salads. Your plan seems to be lacking in both veggies and fruit; so it is also rather lacking in a lot of good basic nutrients as well.

And finally . . . watch out for all that ham . . . pretty high in sodium and that can make you retain water and water tends to weigh a lot.
__________________
And here we go for 2009 . . . Onward and Downward . . .

meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Deep South
Posts: 4,447

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Default

Honestly? Looking at what you eat, your diet seems really out of balance to me. There are NO veggies in that diet. There's a lot of bread and a lot of sugary foods and limited protein.

Add more veggies and more whole grains like brown rice. Add some beans, maybe. Throw in an apple for a snack.

The hot chocolate - you HAVE to know that has sugar in it - you're just not thinking about what you're eating.

Yogurt and toast for dinner just isn't enough.

I also agree with the above that you could have more cals and be ok. 1400 shouldn't be bad for you - but 1400 eating what you're eating is VERY bad.

.

Last edited by PhotoChick : 03-30-2008 at 09:07 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
findingfawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,700

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default

I agree... you need to up the veggies and fruits. You can eat a ton of veggies and not eat even close to a ton of calories. You seem to be eating lots of carbs, which the body has a wonderful abiltiy to process as sugar. You do need carbs, don't get me wrong, but look for more healthy and whole ways to get them... whole grain breads, fruit and veggies.

170 calories for yogart seems outrageous to me too. Look for the light varieties, Danon Lite and Fit has 60, it's the lowest that I have found.

For me getting the most food for my calorie alotment has become a game...I like it so much that I have started counting calories for my big eater hubby.. trying to keep him under 2500 for a day (he has a very labor intensive job).
__________________
~~Sommer~~
Determined to find "Fawn", the skinny chick within me!


findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 333

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Hi there Chickie . . .

First of all . . . 1400 calories should not be too high at your current weight, and especially at your age and height. I think you are aiming a little low at 1200. Weight loss tends to slow down when you get closer to goal so if you are a little higher now, you'll be able to cut back a bit as you lose without endangering your health.

Secondly . . . if/when you do want to cut down but still feel full . . . drop a couple of pieces of toast and eat lots and lots of vegetables - either cooked or raw or in salads. Your plan seems to be lacking in both veggies and fruit; so it is also rather lacking in a lot of good basic nutrients as well.

And finally . . . watch out for all that ham . . . pretty high in sodium and that can make you retain water and water tends to weigh a lot.
I have low sodium, low fat ham so idk.

Yeah I could buy more veggies and I think I may buy some rice cakes to keep me munching without all the calories.

I know I need more veggies and fruits but I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I can find in my house. Guess I need to find some extra cash
__________________







Last edited by sweetlovin : 03-30-2008 at 09:06 PM.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 333

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfawn View Post
I agree... you need to up the veggies and fruits. You can eat a ton of veggies and not eat even close to a ton of calories. You seem to be eating lots of carbs, which the body has a wonderful abiltiy to process as sugar. You do need carbs, don't get me wrong, but look for more healthy and whole ways to get them... whole grain breads, fruit and veggies.

170 calories for yogart seems outrageous to me too. Look for the light varieties, Danon Lite and Fit has 60, it's the lowest that I have found.

For me getting the most food for my calorie alotment has become a game...I like it so much that I have started counting calories for my big eater hubby.. trying to keep him under 2500 for a day (he has a very labor intensive job).
yeah I know! 170 calories for yogurt IS ridiculous. i was so pissed when I found out my yogurt had that many calories but idk. I guess I can throw it out but its a waste.

How many carbs do you think I should be eating. Is frozen veggies out of the bag a good idea?

Could you give me a sample of what you ate today if you don't mind..
__________________






sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 333

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Honestly? Looking at what you eat, your diet seems really out of balance to me. There are NO veggies in that diet. There's a lot of bread and a lot of sugary foods and limited protein.

Add more veggies and more whole grains like brown rice. Add some beans, maybe. Throw in an apple for a snack.

The hot chocolate - you HAVE to know that has sugar in it - you're just not thinking about what you're eating.

Yogurt and toast for dinner just isn't enough.

I also agree with the above that you could have more cals and be ok. 1400 shouldn't be bad for you - but 1400 eating what you're eating is VERY bad.

.
geez I didn't think it was that bad. It's an improvement?

I ate this yesterday.


Breakfast- 2 slices of whole grain bread -220 calories
egg whites- 60 calories
2 ham slices (mixed in)- 20 calories

cup of coffee- 50 calories

snack- carrots- 38 calories

Lunch-
1 WW tortilla- 160 calories
skinless/boneless chicken breast- 110 calories
lettuce, 2 thin slices tomatoes- 50 calories

tspoon of olive oil- 120? still deciding weather to count this because I used it to cook the chicken.
2 cheesesticks (to add to chicken)- 100 calories

578 w/ olive oil

Dinner-
Slimfast- 180 calories

Snack
Yogurt- 170
1/2 serving of sunchips- 70
celery- 25

265 calories


Today i was working all day at the mall so I tried to make the best choices I could.

I thought when you counted calories, a calorie was a calories and it didn't matter because you would still lose weight?

& after eating that egg salad at star bucks, if I had eaten anything else for dinner, I would have gone wayy over my calorie allotment. My yogurt had enough calories in it to be enough for a meal.

I'm pretty new to this. tomorrow will be my 5th day counting.

What exactly am I eating that is bad though? I'm not eating anything fatty and all the carbs I am eating is whole grain. Maybe it isn't good but idk about bad.
__________________







Last edited by sweetlovin : 03-30-2008 at 09:19 PM.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Weight Loss; Control Gain
 
vixjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,247

S/C/G: 180/160/130

Height: 4'11"

Default

Seriously, is toast a dinner? That is my first opinion, and if it is dinner, (I know I love breads) You have to get some servings of veggies, (even if it is a potato). Any veggies are better than no veggies, make pasta and veggies from a bag and serve it as dinner, would be dinner for the whole family too, and pasta sauces are lower in calories than you would think, throw a chicken breast in there and you are golden!
__________________
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. - Ann Landers

MINI GOAL # 1 - 10 lbs lost - MET!
MINI GOAL # 2 - 20 lbs lost - MET! - Over 10%
MINI GOAL # 3 - 25 lbs lost - in progress (again) - Half way mark!
MINI GOAL # 4 - 31 lbs lost - No longer obese!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
shrinkinglizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 898

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Default

I think the idea is that fruits and veggies will fill you up without adding too many calories, so if you're still hungry (as you said you are), then go for veggies, not bread.
Frozen veggies are just fine. Def better than nothing.
Totally understand how difficult this can be -- perhaps you might try getting some info from the library? I really like Andrew Weil's books that explain how the body works, and what it needs. Of course, there's a zillion resources on the Internet, too.
Good luck!
S
__________________
Short Term Goal: 130 by 1/30

shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
Weight Loss; Control Gain
 
vixjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,247

S/C/G: 180/160/130

Height: 4'11"

Default

Okay, I think I see another problem here, you are shooting for a really low weight, and since you are already in a healthy weight range, you don't need to lose weight (IMO).
I am not trying to be rude, and I usually don't judge these things, but the ladies above are right, since you are already in a healthy weight range, you would really benefit from eating healthier and possible some weights and tone. You can stay around the weight you are now and REALLY TONE UP, and look 30 lbs lighter.
I would suggest restricting your sugar.
Yes a calorie is a calorie, but twenty years from now, you don't want to end up with diabetes and heart disease because of these choices now.
__________________
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. - Ann Landers

MINI GOAL # 1 - 10 lbs lost - MET!
MINI GOAL # 2 - 20 lbs lost - MET! - Over 10%
MINI GOAL # 3 - 25 lbs lost - in progress (again) - Half way mark!
MINI GOAL # 4 - 31 lbs lost - No longer obese!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Deep South
Posts: 4,447

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
I thought when you counted calories, a calorie was a calories and it didn't matter because you would still lose weight?
Well, ok, yeah, a calorie is a calorie and if you eat few enough of them, you'll lose weight.

But. Your body needs nutrients to survive and thrive. You need vitamins. You need iron and protein and folate and vitamin D and vitamin D and and all those other things to fuel your body. You have to keep basic nutrition in mind when you're counting calories.

Eventually, even though you're losing weight, you'll start to get tired. You'll get sick more easily. Your body will rebel against being fed a steady diet of carbs and no veggies whatsoever.

.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
findingfawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,700

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default

I buy what I can afford.. if that means it is frozen veggies then that is what I buy, if I can't afford the freezer section that week then I hit the canned goods isle.

Yes a calorie is a calorie, but if at your age you are already having weight issues, then instead of counting calories you need to be looking at how to make your eating habits healthier habits that you can have for life. Instead of having an eggsalad at starbucks, pack a healthy lunch a turkey sandwhich on wheat bread (a bit of light mayo, some lettuce, maybe a tomato slice), some carrot sticks and a single serve fruit cup would be a fabulous lunch.
__________________
~~Sommer~~
Determined to find "Fawn", the skinny chick within me!


findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 333

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixjean View Post
Okay, I think I see another problem here, you are shooting for a really low weight, and since you are already in a healthy weight range, you don't need to lose weight (IMO).
I am not trying to be rude, and I usually don't judge these things, but the ladies above are right, since you are already in a healthy weight range, you would really benefit from eating healthier and possible some weights and tone. You can stay around the weight you are now and REALLY TONE UP, and look 30 lbs lighter.
I would suggest restricting your sugar.
Yes a calorie is a calorie, but twenty years from now, you don't want to end up with diabetes and heart disease because of these choices now.

I think i would be more confident at 130 pounds and that is still a healthy weight for me. As I grow older, I wouldn't mind being 150, but that weight doesn't work for me right now. I get what your saying though and it is understanding. 130 still puts me at a healthy range though.

I do weights everyday. I do interval exercises which switch fast cardio with weight training in between. Today I only managed to do 30 minutes but I already see a difference in my body from doing it consistently an hour to two hours each day


I see where you guys are going though and I will try to add more veggies and cut down on the carbs. Should I not be getting my carbs from breads and stuff and mostly from vegetables?
__________________







Last edited by sweetlovin : 03-30-2008 at 09:43 PM.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
findingfawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,700

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default

Some bread is ok.. but chose healthier bread (whole grain breads), and you need the veggies and fruit not for just the carbs but for the vitamins they offer.
__________________
~~Sommer~~
Determined to find "Fawn", the skinny chick within me!


findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 333

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfawn View Post
Some bread is ok.. but chose healthier bread (whole grain breads), and you need the veggies and fruit not for just the carbs but for the vitamins they offer.
I take a multivitamin everyday if that helps? lol.

I'll see if I have anything frozen in the fridge and try to do better tomorrow. I thought I was doing well but i guess not.

Tommorrow I am eating:

b/f- slimfast

lunch- slimfast

snack- lots of veggies

dinner- chicken salad with veggies.


I have to eat like that because of school. Breakfast, I'm running out the door, and lunch, I have to go to the library to do homework. At least I will be adding more vegetables though

I'm on a variation of the slimfast diet/calorie counting. I try to eat according to my lifestyle and realizing what works for me

I plan to count calories for the rest of my life. After doing it for a week, I can't imagine not doing it. It really stops me from eating so much. I realize I was eating soo many calories before. If I stop, I'll gain weight, if not now, later in life, so I am definitely planning to do this forever. Theres no way I could never not count calories.
__________________






sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2