Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

Can I ask: Why the slimfast? You would be much better off like everyone is saying by eating more veggies fruits and lean protein also. I save my starchy carbs for only after I exercise when I have earned them.
You sound like you might want to read about nutrition. There are many great
books out there. Do some research. If you like lifting weights:
New rules of lifting for women or The eat clean diet by Tosca Reno,
Burn the fat, feed the muscle by Tom Venuto. Also Superfoods Rx. I suggest these not as diets but to gain some nutrition knowledge.

By the way a calorie is not just a calorie. It does matter where that calorie comes from. You burn much more protein merely by digesting it then you burn digesting carbs or fat. It is called the thermic effect of food.

Last edited by sharonrr1; 03-31-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add a book
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #17  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Ahh...buddy, I hear ya. First of all, I started trying to lose weight when I was 15 (I'm 20 now). I was 5'6" and wanted to get down to 115 from 150. I could never imagine being 115 now...my body just won't go there. You're quite tall...can I ask why you feel like you need to get down to 130? Do you have a particular clothing size in mind or something? Do you feel flabby? Because 150-155 at your height IS a healthy weight, as a few others have pointed out.

And you are doing well. It's takes a while to get the hang of this kind of stuff - counting calories, what foods to eat, etc - and it's good you're becoming aware of these things and have started incorporating activity into your lifestyle. The types of exercising you are doing like interval training sounds great as well. I just hope you are taking AT LEAST one rest day a week. When I first started seriously working out I had a real problem doing that. I still do actually! But it's very important, especially with weights, that you give your muscles time to rest. Another thing, 1200 calories is too low for you IMO. You're not overweight and you aren't gonna be able to starve the pounds off your body. It could even slow down your metabolism. I wouldn't drop below 1500 and I would argue that even that is a little low.

As for what you are eating...slimfast is not a meal - especially not for lunch or dinner and especially not for someone at your height and weight. Little things like hot chocolate, sun chips...they add up. Yes, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie but are you not starvinggggg? Think of how much chicken you could've had for that 200 calorie hot chocolate from starbucks! You want to put lots of healthy, low calorie food in your body that will make you feel full and satiated and enable you to keep working out the way you are.

So for the slimfast. I did that in high school. I had one for breakfast every morning on my way out the door and loved it. I think it would be better to maybe make your OWN smoothie (save on the $$ too) with skim milk, yogurt and berries or something, but if you're crazy rushed in the mornings have the slimfast with a piece of fruit and you'll be in decent shape. I remember them being really yummy too...haha.

I would nix the slimfast for lunch though. Can you pack a lunch the night before? I used to do that and sneak a sandwich into the library on the days I had work to do. Lean turkey/ham/chicken on some whole grain bread with veggies would be perfect. Try to make the switch from ham if you can, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

Snack - veggies are good but you could use more protein still. What about having 10-15 almonds with that? Some string cheese? Yogurt is great too.

Dinner - lean meats, veggies are great. Have a little bit of bread with dinner if you need it. I made chicken fajitas tonight without the cheese and on a whole grain tortilla. You're fine having bread, just be smart about the types of bread you're having and cut down on them towards dinner. No refined sugars or white bread or anything.

I know you're in high school and I know there are days once in a while when you just want that chocolate chip cookie for starbucks. I have my days like that and cave and use up some of my calories for it. Just don't make a habit of it. Doing some research into nutrition (as someone else mentioned) would also be really beneficial to you.

Last part of my ramblings (lol) DRINK WATER. You need to stay hydrated.

Good luck!
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #18  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

You are 16.

At your age your metabolic needs are higher. 1200 calories is simply lower than someone your age should be. I agree with all the posts about making healthier choices, but you should also try a higher calorie range first. If you are an active teenager, you could be depriving yourself at a time when you are still developing which could make it much harder to maintain your weight in to your 20's and 30's

At your height, weight and age, you could most likely lose weight at 1600-1800 calories. It might be a slower path at first, but it is also more likely to give you the energy to exercise which will give your body shape.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Where your calories are coming from, and what other nutrients you are getting with those calories are very important. You may not know how important until too late, because most people don't experience or notice the health effects of an unbalanced diet for years. There are some really great diet and nutrition books written especially for teens. Some are probably in your school or local library, or you could search amazon.com for titles and order them through your local library. Amazon reviews often give you a good idea if the book is decent. The number of stars is a good indicator IF there are a lot of reviews. If a book gets 5 stars it could still be a super-dud if only three people have reviewed it.

If you can tolerate the structure, exchange programs are great for insuring a balanced diet and controlling calories. There is a lot of exchange diet information online and in books, though some modifications for a teen might be necessary (like adding extra dairy). If you can talk to a dietician for guidance that would be great, though I know that isn't always possible.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:12 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

My problem with the slimfast - it doesn't help you build any healthy habits. Losing weight is about 10% of the fight, the other 90% is keeping that weight off for the rest of your life. It took me 20 years to realize you keep the weight off the same way you lost the weight in the first place. You don't plan to drink slimfasts for breakfast and lunch the rest of your life, right? It is my opinion that any diet plan that has a future "end date" is doomed to failure. As soon as you stop "dieting" and resume your "normal way of eating" well, it's your normal way of eating that helped you to gain weight in the first place.

Learn how to budget time to get up early enough to make breakfast. Learn how to pack portable lunches. Figure out tasty things you like that you can think about eating forever. Get your favorite sites on the net with fun recipes to share.

Sure you can cut calories, drink some slim fast and lose some weight. What then? Thinking long term is the difference between my 20 years of yoyo dieting and my current 3 year weight loss maintenance success

When I was 16, I thought I was soooo heavy at 140 lbs (I was 5'7" so about where you are now). Looking back, I was just lovely with a nice curvy womanly figure (I wanted to be a little hipless beanpole like all my size 7 friends - back in the early 80s before vanity sizing, a size 7 was like a size 0 now!). I wish I had known that I could change the course of my whole life by incorporating more healthy foods (which is so much easier for you now - back when I was 16 the ONLY lettuce was ice berg and the ONLY apples were red delicious), cutting back on junk and fast food and finding a sport I really enjoyed. I could have had my slim healthy body my whole life, instead of embarking on one dumb calorie-restrictive diet after another and ending up at 200 lbs at age 35.

Dieting made me fat. Don't diet. Live healthy!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:59 AM   #21  
jadedjane

Sweetlovin,
Here's a list of thinks to consider:
1..definitely eat more veggies
2..grabbing an apple is just as fast as grabbing a slimfast
3..Grains (especially whole grains) are essential and include more than just breads (think - oatmeal, total cereal, all bran, flaxseed).
4..protein is equally essential and there are many lower calorie, lower fat sources like cottage cheese, soybeans (aka edamame), fish, white meat chicken (no skin)
5..Make time to eat healthy. for example: a person might say that their job, school, and kids eat up every spare moment so there's no time to think about meal planning. The truth is - meal planning actually saves time and money.

And now for a little physiology:
You NEED iron - it's that little molecule that sits in the middle of hemoglobin chains (inside red blood cells) that oxygen molecules bind to in order to hitch a ride around your body. No iron = no oxygen (a key part of cellular metabolism).

You need the B12 and folate to activate the iron that you take in. Ingested iron is almost useless without them. You'll get these from dark leafy green goodies.

You need protein too - practically everything in your body is protein. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and about half of the AA's we need to function are NOT made inside our bodies (meaning-we need to get them some other way). When your body isn't getting enough protein, a hole host of other medical conditions occur including hair loss, edema, and loss of lean muscle mass (a real "diet killer"). Less lean muscle mass = lower metabolism - which makes it harder to maintain weight loss

Please know that I don't mean to be preachy or fussy, but these things are so important. Weight loss / maintenance is such a great commitment to your body. The ultimate goal is health (looking good is a by product of that). You may drop a few pounds by cutting calories, but if you're cutting out all the things that your body needs to function, what have you accomplished?

Think of it this way.. weight loss by means of a caloric deficit is natural body response, just like any other natural body function. Everything works much better when they are running in peak condition (well nourished) including the mechanisms involved in weight loss.

Cheers,
Jadedjane
was 310 (at 5'4") - now 130 (at 5'7") and holding for two solid years
"ask me how I gained 3 inches in height"
jadedjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:50 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Agree to all of above! I have problems getting up to 1400 (my general goal)...I eat 2-5 pieces of fruit a day, and aim for veges with at least 2 meals....

However, I really think that your goal of 1200 is too low. At your ages you don't need a specific goal, and I wouldn't reccomend trying too hard. It is GOOD for your body to have variation in your days. As long as my calories are between 1200 and 1500 Im generally happy.

If you eat that little and are working out, it won't be doing anything except burning muscle! Not building it...which will slow your metabolism down in the long run..

To be totally honest, you sound like a girl heading for an Eating Disorder...I know how it is, I have been there! I know it sounds cool...but it really isn't.
Loosen up, stop weighing yourself. Stop eating junkfood...workout....eat when you are hungry...your body will find the balance it needs!
Fairy Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 AM   #23  

Height: 5'10

Thanks for all the great tips guys. I really am getting a lot of good advice here. I may have to privately pm back some replies if I have any questions/feedback.

off to school! be back here later
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Hey there sweetlovin-

I know from when you have been here in the past, that one of your biggest challenges at home is the fact that your parents buy most of the food in the house, and you sort of "have to choose from what is available". So, because of that, I am not going to give you a hard time about what you are eating.

I have been where you are now, and my dad/stepmother would buy white pasta, Pop Tarts, Hamburger Helper, etc. and it was tough trying to eat better with those things in the house.

Whenever your job permits you to buy some food for yourself, etc. or if you are able to tag along on grocery trips and "ask for stuff", I would. My parents didn't eat yogurt, granola bars, or fresh pears when I was a teenager, so it probably never dawned on them to buy any. I had to put in requests.

I do agree that 1200 calories is a little low for you, because you are a teenager. You can't use adult calorie recommendations, because you are still growing. (While my height stalled out at around your age, my breasts and other areas were still developing at 16...) I would, as the others have suggested, aim for 1400-1600 calories.

As far as calories go, yes, a calorie is a calorie, but the goal isn't just skinny-it's healthy. You have to think about the nutrition as well.

I go to Starbucks as well-and I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a treat now and then. Yes, the drink might have had sugar in it, but it also had protein and calcium...so that is no big deal.

Starbucks normally have little nutrition pamphlets in their stores-a lot of time on the little stand where the sugar/cream/Splenda is. Your best bet for anything, is to get a tall size (not grande or venti) and change the options if you can. If you get a drink with milk, always ask for nonfat (like a nonfat latte, nonfat mocha, etc.) for less fat and calories.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 242/242/190

Height: 5'5

Slimfast just seems like "empty calories" to me. Why not try adding some tuna (and it's a cheap source of protein)?? I cannot imagine a Slimfast for a meal replacement when you can have something so much for healthy for the same amount of calories.
greek12see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 147/116/Hawwt.

Height: 5'0''

I still live at home with my parents (i'm 19) so I am going to throw my thoughts out there

My mum does a weekly shop for the whole family, incl. me. When I started getting healthy I would go along with her to do the shopping and ask for things (or sneakily throw them in the shopping trolly). At first I could only add in a few healthy items at a time - I had to prove to her that I would eat them, because in her opinion carrots are a waste of money because no1 (else) likes them. Now my mum will buy healthy things for me because I have shown her that I will eat them.
emmaukgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #27  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaukgrl View Post

My mum does a weekly shop for the whole family, incl. me. When I started getting healthy I would go along with her to do the shopping and ask for things
That's a great point. My mum would always ask me what I wanted from the store. Even now, when I come home for a weekend she'll ask me if there's anything I'd like to have in the house for then. You definitely need to get the person who does the shopping on board.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #28  

Height: 5'10

Hey guys, the rest of the week has been interesting. It seems like what everyone had to say kind of had an effect on me. I've been exercising everyday but today I didn't manage to do anything. I may exercise in an hour or so but I was a bit stressed out that my hairdresser canceled on me AGAIN plus my eating was a bit off. I think I consumed anywhere from 1600-1800 calories, somewhere in between that range. I may have some tea and do som intense cardio to make up for it.

I raised my calorie goal to 1400-1500 and I decided to make my weight goal 135 pounds. I might even stop at 140. It depends on the amount of muscle I have once I reach each weight.

I guess I realized what I was doing really isn't anything different from what all you guys were doing when you were my age. And no offense in anyway, but it didn't seem to work out for any of you so why would it work for me?

Oddly enough, the thread that made me change my mind the most was the "How much did you weigh in high school". That made me think a lot.

Anyway replies
sharonrr1- I chose slimfast because I thought it was nutritious and easy to follow. It helps stop me from overeating when i don't have the time to sit and make clear choices. Lately I have been drinking it very sparingly, only when i know I will have NO time, like at work. Thanks for the book recommendations

rockstar87- thanks for all of that advice! It was very healthful for me the last couple days. I've been TRYING to eat more vegetables and I think i get in about 3 servings now. The thing is, I love veggies! Actually I really don't hate any type of food. Not picky at all. I just don't have a lot of access to them lol. I have the money to go grocery shopping. I just have to convince my mom to take me. We have one 5 minutes away from us but my family acts like they are so busy all the time. I was considering riding my bike but carrying groceries and riding my bike would be way too risky. I don't want to bust my head open by any means!

I need to start cutting down on my carbohydrates though! I put my calories on My daily plate and 50-60 percent of what I eat is carbs! I knew it was a problem but geez! That's definitely going to be my goal the next few days. cut down carbs, exercise even more, and eat more vegetable. We will see how it goes. It's been tough though.

Lot's of people have said that it looks like I dropped some lbs, and I definitely see myself getting toner. I don't want to pay attention to the scale just yet maybe next week, I may weigh myself. My goal is to be 150 by then.

aphil- Hey you! I was so surprised that you remembered a post that I made so long ago. I'm trying to convince them to take me to the grocery store nowadays but I have to pay for gas. I guess it's worth it. I guess I need to convince my family to help me out more with my weight loss efforts. I tend to keep my weight concerns kind of personal and to myself because I hate it when they are nosy about everything.

Anyway I guess this week will hopefully be better then last.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #29  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I'm a little dissapointed in how many people are speaking so negatively about Slim Fast. I think the majority do who are negative about it do not understand what the Slim Fast plan is actually about. If you understood it, you would not say something as foolish as "Slim Fast does not help you build any healthy habits" and you are "doomed to failure".
Slim Fast is not a quick fix or fad diet, it is a long-term life style change. The plan does not ask you to eat only Slim Fast products for Breakfast and Lunch. The plan does teach you healthy habits that can last a lifetime. It has for me.

So...please stop saying rude things about something you don't understand and that has changed a lot of people's lifestyles for the better.

Thank you,
Beth
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Beth - I'm sorry that you're offended, but I'll stand by my comments and I'll support those of others who have said that the Slimfast plan doesn't build healthy habits.

EVery ad you see for Slimfast says very specifically "drink a Slimfast for breakfast, another for lunch, and eat a healthy, balanced dinner".

That's not a sustainable plan. And I don't care what the "fine print" of the Slimfast program says, most everyone remembers the catchphrase and that's what they work with.

That program doesn't teach you how to eat. It doesn't teach you what to do when you don't have your SlimFast products available. And buying Slimfast products for the rest of my life is not my idea of a sustainable, healthy, realistic "long term lifestyle change".

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote