Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #1  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default when does skin sagging start?

I am not a maintainer but I hope it is ok when I ask a question regarding sagging skin?!

I was wondering when the sagging started for you. I am halfway through my weight loss and I don't think anything is sagging really. Well, not more than before. I think my body is a bit softer but it is not like flaps hanging down.

I am working out, moisturize at least once a day and loofah whenever (daily) I take a shower. I drink lots of water and I am a mostly clean eater. I know that is no guarantee but surely can't hurt eh?

When did you know your skin is getting really loose? Is there any indicator on when it starts? I know that sounds weird but it really freaks me out quite a bit.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #2  

I am 5'6", lost 115 pounds, and have been 128 lbs. for 6 years. Your question depends on many factors. If you are young, under 40, your skin will probably have less looseness. If you have been overweight for a short period of time, rather than years, you probably will have less looseness. You can look at your body and tell where you may have problems. For instance, are your arms firm and in proportion or bulging? Do you carry a lot of weight in a few places that have been distended? Those areas will be more likely to show looseness. Your chart indicates that your goal is 165. That is still pretty high for your height, so you may not show as much looseness because your skin still has fat underneath. I lost weight at age 47, had been fat for 5 years prior, but I was still proportional and had fat all over and not concentrated in a few spots. Most people would never know that I lost that amount of weight. The only saggy areas is in my thighs and stomach. Not real bad and it looks mostly like dimply cellulite. But with clothes on, even a bathing suit, I don't look that bad. Most of my friends with bad looseness had droopy arms, legs, or stomach before they lost weight. If your fat deposits droop or hang, then you will have looseness. Hope this helps. I think it has more to do with heredity than water consumption, rate of weight loss, or use of creams. Best wishes with your weight loss journey.
Bellbefore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #3  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Thanks so much Bellbefore.

I have always been big and it is all over my body. I think my body is very proportional not concentrated in any area particularly. I am 34 btw and have no kids. My lowest weight ever was around 190.

My goal is 165 for now but I would definitely want to reach a normal BMI at some point. However I set the goal to 165 because I would absolutely totally be happy with that.

I can't really say anything about my genes since I am the only one in my family who is heavy. (No fun let me tell you!) So I guess time will tell eh?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

No point in worrying about this. It is totally different for each individual. Nobody can answer this question for another person. You will have to just wait and see. You may as well accept that your body will not be perfect and will likely have some issues after major weight loss, unless you are very young and very lucky!

I've lost over 120 pounds and I do have some cellulite/jiggliness to my upper thighs and a little above my belly button. But nothing I'm really concerned about. Personally, although this is an issue after major weight loss, I think people are more concerned about it than they need to be. Cross that bridge when you come to it. Weight loss is a slow process, so you aren't going to wake up one day to a surprise. It will all happen very gradually.
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #5  
Fit Jeff

S/C/G: 301/195

Height: 5'11"

I've always found the most skin looseness came from friends that did programs that caused fast fat loss, like beriatric surgery. those that did exercise and diet programs tend to not have this problem as much.
shakespearestoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I've always found the most skin looseness came from friends that did programs that caused fast fat loss, like beriatric surgery. those that did exercise and diet programs tend to not have this problem as much.
My sagging stomach and thigh skin strongly disagree with you! There are a lot of factors affecting sagging skin in addition to rate of loss...elasticity, age, how long the skin has been stretched, etc. Unfortunately, there's no way to predict who will have loose skin and how much. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if you do end up with some loose skin, it's infinitely preferable (both for health reasons and for appearance reasons) to remaining overweight...you can hide the skin a lot easier than you can hide fat!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #7  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Thanks guys. I guess I will have to wait and so far so good. Nothing dramatic. I will just keep doing what I am doing and hope for the best.

Last edited by josey; 05-12-2011 at 03:13 PM.