The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #31  
50 is the new 40!

S/C/G: 165/165/140

Height: All of 5ft Tall

One of the best opening shows they ever had. I am not a crierbut I did last night.

It's going to be hard to pick somebody to root for this year, but I am still leaning towards daniel.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #32  

One thing to remember, these people have been thoroughly checked out by all kinds of doctors and are under medical supervision all the time. They spend 24 hours a day focusing on weight loss. I'm glad Alexandria was sent home. She sure had a surly attitude. This is going to be a very interesting season. Right now I'm leaning toward Coach Mo and Daniel.

Have you noticed they are still using Ali for their products and website? People really didn't like that chick that won from last season (sorry, I've forgotten her name already).
Old 09-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 249.8/ticker/174

Height: 5'3"

HELEN!!! LOL!

I couldn't stand Helen at all starting from midway in last season.

Ali was always a sweetheart.

As it stands now, Coach Mo and Abby are my peeps. I, too, like the warm fuzzy part of the competition. I was a huge Brown team fan last season until Ron started acting like a jerk and Michael got a swollen head.

But then again, we are subjected to "creative editing."
Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #34  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellgee View Post
HELEN!!! LOL!

I couldn't stand Helen at all starting from midway in last season.

Ali was always a sweetheart.

As it stands now, Coach Mo and Abby are my peeps. I, too, like the warm fuzzy part of the competition. I was a huge Brown team fan last season until Ron started acting like a jerk and Michael got a swollen head.

But then again, we are subjected to "creative editing."
I HATED Helen! As soon as she sent her own daughter home instead of herself, I hated her. And the fact that she won instead of Tara really irked me even more. She looked soooooo unhealthy at the finale. She was a skeleton! And Ron acting like the dang 'godfather'.... ugh!

lol but enough about last season

I also think that they should include more nutritional advice and show the trainers teaching them how to do some of the exercises. Because I know that at the beginning they aren't just throwing them on a machine and yelling "GO GO GO!" THey have to be doing SOME kind of explaining. I personally would much rather see more exercising instead of all the drama of the weigh ins and eliminations. I mean, in the two hour show last night we only got about an hour for introductions, the challenge, the medical stuff the last chance workout but then they dedicated the entire last hour to the weight in and elimination. And I hate how after about every 2 people/teams weigh in they go to commercial.

Good episode though, very touching. I'm looking forward to next week.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #35  
An Army of One

S/C/G: 346/322 /150

Height: 5'10

for some reason my tivo didnt record it
where can i find it online ?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #36  
50 is the new 40!

S/C/G: 165/165/140

Height: All of 5ft Tall

NBC.com. You can bring up previous episodes.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #37  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Ron, Mike, Helen, and Shannon are going to be in Northern Michigan in a few weeks to run the Mackinaw Bridge. http://www.mackinawcity.com/fall-col...idge-race-107/
Old 09-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #38  

Height: 5'3"

Making a contestant run a mile at 400+ pounds is irresponsible. I'll continue to watch the show, but feel dirty for getting entertained at the expense of others and their struggles.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Oh come on...the smart ones didn't run it....they just walked at their own pace. The goal is to show them they don't know their own strength...
Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #40  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcossel View Post
Oh come on...the smart ones didn't run it....they just walked at their own pace. The goal is to show them they don't know their own strength...
I agree. But then again, no one wants to lose. So it's still tempting for everyone to want to win, though the one who's gonna win is so obvious when the guy from season 7 came in - he lost 100 lbs+ compare to these newbies, so obviously he's gonna win. No point anymore for that reward lol.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #41  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcossel View Post
Absolutely!! Not to mention theyve been thru the medical testing if the docs didnt think they should they'd have been warned. We saw them do that with Ron and he CHOSE to push on anyway. Not to say its not scary as all **** (some of us need to see the scary side of obesity) and I bet they didnt think that would happen but she did choose to run rather than walk. I just hope they talk about what happened and why its taken so long for her to recover.

Totally hoping for Abbey, love that woman's spirit!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

The bleeping is hard enough to watch with kids in the room, but what about Jillian calling someone "b!tch". (had to edit it bc the site blocked that word in my first post) Did that bother anyone? My dd looked at me at that point with shock and so I had to take a stand and turn it off. It saddened me, I just think it could be a more powerful show with a little more creative language skills and less reliance on street words, ya know?

ETA: If 3fc edits it out I guess that's my answer

Last edited by sportmom; 09-19-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #43  
Started 9/20/09

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Just wanted to say that I watched the season premiere of season 8 and it was the first time EVER I had seen TBL. I was immediately hooked! I quickly went on to hulu.com and watch the last few episodes they had on there (from the makeover on).

Sooooo inspired to go on a TBL journey. Just love it!
Old 09-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #44  
An Army of One

S/C/G: 346/322 /150

Height: 5'10

im really hoping that shay or the lady with the green top wins
because there stories are heartbreaking
Old 09-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 212/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I was out of town last week and just got done watching the premier on DVR...I was totally crying my eyes out. ...and Abby I feel for her...I just can't imagine...OMG... I think she is going to inspire so many people who feel like they have no hope...

Quote:
I would really love if they did one season where there was no immunity. Lowest percentage lost goes home. End.Of.Story. Or maybe keep everyone on the ranch the whole time and the biggest loser wins.
There are so many times I thought this! I mean Alexandra worked hard but she went home because Julio dragged her below the yellow line with him...and he got to stay.
It always got to me too when in past seasons, when a team threw a weigh in to send someone home. There's not much you can do when that happens no matter how hard you try.

I also think that the crush Alexandra has, has got to be for Daniel.

Can't wait for Tuesday nights show! Looks like it's going to be a good season!

~Suzie

everyone!