The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #16  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh man. I think it took me until minute 5 to start weeping. This show GETS to me.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #17  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

OMG This show gets to me too! Abby's story is absolutely heart breaking and the fact that she made Jillian cry too was crazy! I cried when Jillian was talking about how if anything like that happened to her she would want to kill herself but seeing how strong Abby was made her re think that. It really hit home for me on that topic. I also got teary eyed when everyone was helping that lady cross the finish line at the beginning (sorry I'm terrible with names.) I am also excited to be losing along with the contestants. The show is very inspiring.

There was so much swearing! Bob and Jillian working together is a great idea. They were awesome! They kind of reminded me of a drill instructor with all the swearing and yelling, lol.

But yes, I agree, amazing episode! Can't wait til next week.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #18  
In it for the long run

S/C/G: 196/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

OMG Abby completely got to me too. I can't even begin to imagine what she has had to go through. It is definitely inspiring to see that she has such a positive attitude towards life. She is definitely my favorite on the show so far. I've never actually watched a full season before. Last season was the one I watched the most. I can't wait to see this season in it's entirety!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Shay said something that really resonated with me - "I'm really angry with myself!" UM HELLO thanks for putting words to what I have been feeling lately!

I really really wish they had intervened sooner for Tracy during the mile. Like, I get that she had the heart and the drive to finish, but honestly I think that the way it was portrayed was irresponsible. I really really did NOT need to watch that. There is a line for the shock tactics and I really think that a med-evac goes FAR beyond it.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:11 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

There have already been a couple deaths with reality television shows across seas, and what makes America so different? I think they are really crossing the line in terms of pushing. I mean, it is great to get people out of their comfort zones, but I just feel like the first episode is always about vomiting and being told you have Type II diabetes. It is great to see their weight loss numbers for the first week, but it is really getting outlandish. I thought the whole thing with Bob saying they could only give her ten minutes to test her to see if she was just wanting attention after Jillian said a day was a bit much. I realize it is a competition show and people are there to change their lives, but what about when somebody gets brain damage or loses their life?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #21  
I'm doing it for ME

S/C/G: 317/311/200

Height: 5'3

loved the show tonight, and like most of you i balled thruout most of it. abby really got to me.. i honestly dont know what makes the woman get out of bed each day and continue to breathe in and out. She is going to be inspirational this season i feel.
as for when(bad with names) quit, i was really mad.. i thought about all the people that would kill for her spot there and she was giving up that fast.. im really happy she went back in and changed her tude.
coach mo gets to me as well.. he started out at such a disadvantage and pulled it off.. he just seems like a really nice man.
as for the one that got voted off... it looks like they made the right decision since she has lost (60?) lbs since then.. she Was able to do it on her own, where julio might not have been able to.
i just loved the show from beginning to end, cryed, chuckled, and really enjoyed myself.. didnt exercise during as when i move my abcessed teeth pound lol, but will next week
Old 09-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

So happy it's back! I've been missing it all summer. A friend of mine is actually good friends with Abby, which I didn't find out until tonight. Kinda crazy. Heh.

Anyhow, I was happy with who they voted off, as Alexandria seemed a bit Diva-ish to me...just the way she was reacting to Julio's 'lack of loss' in her eyes.

SO happy Dan's back!! He's just spectacular.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

I loved the show last night. I cried thru most of it and I already had read Abbey story but it just gets to me every time I hear it. I know one of my greatest fears has always been something happening to one of my children and I think it really hits home to a lot of us mom's.

Mama-I agree with you about them going over the top with the training. We are talking about 6 or 7 people very close to or over 400 lbs! I have a brother who weighs around 450 with asthma and I couldn't imagine him doing those workouts. I think a lot of the taping is done for dramatic effect too though.

So far I really like everyone this season. Hope that doesn't change.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #24  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

I haven't watched before this season, but do they focus on their eating plans eventually? I saw all the workouts they do, but (unless I missed it) I didn't see them talk about what sort of nutritional plan they are on.

It was amazing to me that those people could lose 15, 20, 28 pounds in a week! I didn't think that was possible.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Right now I'm a Coach Mo fan!!

My husband and I BOTH get annoyed at the "reasoning" they use when they reveal their votes. It's always "You can do it at home" or the implication that one NEEDS to be there over the other because he or she has kids at home.

To me, Julio didn't work as hard during the week. His partner lost as much as the other women, and he was many pounds below the other men of a comparable weight. It would've been smarter to get rid of Julio NOW before his motivation kicks in and he becomes a threat, IMO...But they're not "playing the game" yet, I suppose...it's the warm and fuzzy time...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 230/216/125

Height: 5'3"

Last night was my first experience with the biggest loser. I decided to check it out because I'm a 1/3 of the way through Jillian's 30 day shred. (boy is she peachy compared to on the show!)

I really thought I was the only one balling my eyes out last night. I couldn't stop. There were just so many personal triggers throughout the entire show. I can't wait to see how it develops. I am a Coach Moe and Rebbecca fan so far. Its really nice to hear I wasn't alone.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #27  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleystar View Post
Anyhow, I was happy with who they voted off, as Alexandria seemed a bit Diva-ish to me...just the way she was reacting to Julio's 'lack of loss' in her eyes.
That was my first thought. As soon as she reacted I hoped they would fall below so she would be sent home. I think if they would have been safe this week it would have turned into another Joelle/Carla situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
My husband and I BOTH get annoyed at the "reasoning" they use when they reveal their votes. It's always "You can do it at home" or the implication that one NEEDS to be there over the other because he or she has kids at home.
How much do you really know about someone you have only known a week'ish. Nothing. The elimination seems so contrived. Almost like they pick reasons out of a hat and that is what they have to say.

I would really love if they did one season where there was no immunity. Lowest percentage lost goes home. End.Of.Story. Or maybe keep everyone on the ranch the whole time and the biggest loser wins.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Quote:

To me, Julio didn't work as hard during the week. His partner lost as much as the other women, and he was many pounds below the other men of a comparable weight. It would've been smarter to get rid of Julio NOW before his motivation kicks in and he becomes a threat, IMO...But they're not "playing the game" yet, I suppose...it's the warm and fuzzy time...
Thats kind of how I feel - they make it sound like because he has kids, he's more important, and NEEDS to be there more than her. Maybe because I dont have kids, and know that its still hard to do it at home, that reasoning always bothers me.

Anyway, she looked really good after losing 60 lbs! And I so think she has a crush on Dan - he's the only one her age there, and he seemed REALLY upset that she was leaving.

I'd also like to see a season where no one goes home too - that would be kind of neat to see.

Last edited by Lizzyg; 09-16-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella View Post
I haven't watched before this season, but do they focus on their eating plans eventually? I saw all the workouts they do, but (unless I missed it) I didn't see them talk about what sort of nutritional plan they are on.

It was amazing to me that those people could lose 15, 20, 28 pounds in a week! I didn't think that was possible.
No they don't. Its not supposed to tell you exactly what they do. But, on Jillian's radio show she has gone over a couple of times a typical day for them. She had also mentioned that the guys are on an 1800 cal diet and the girls 1200. And that they have a high day once a week....typically right after the wiegh in. about 2000 and 2800 calories...
Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #30  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightwing View Post
loved the show tonight, and like most of you i balled thruout most of it. abby really got to me.. i honestly dont know what makes the woman get out of bed each day and continue to breathe in and out. She is going to be inspirational this season i feel.
I feel the same way. If I were to lose my entire family in the blink of an eye the way Abby has, I would want to crawl into a hole and die. I honestly don't know how she does it much less with the positive attitude she has. She's truly a special person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleystar View Post

That's exactly why I was glad they fell below the yellow line and I was sooo happy it was her that went. She had a bad attitude. "Let's immediately blame the other person"..Whateve....

Quote:

I hope it stays Warm & Fuzzy for a while. it's when they all start "playing the game" that peoples bad sides come out and then the show is less inspiring for me. I still think they made the right decision since she's gone on to lose 60 lbs.