Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:55 PM   #121  
[url=http://www.TickerFac

Forgetting is actually a major side effect of anxiety. It would nake sense that while you are under great stress you would forget your groceries. So sorry that happened to you they are not cheap. Maybe try talking your husband into a dedicated time for you 2 to take a walk together each day. That would give you some time to communicate and help you to feel more supported while also helping you to get some excercise.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:05 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Beherenow

Beherenow

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this thread on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-28-2016, 06:07 AM   #123  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Magellan reaches the Pacific (1520, Tierra del Fuego)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Finished the cabinet job, CREDIT moi. Yay for Home Depot and our local hardware store for having the pieces that I hadn't realized that I needed. Some tasks become easy with all the right parts in hand.

Took DW to dinner to celebrate being done. We walked to a fish restaurant that we'd never tried. I had grilled scallops with grilled veggies - a good choice since there were many pasta dishes on the menu, CREDIT moi. I asked DW why we didn't have scallops more often at home. "They cost $25 a pound." I didn't know.

onebyone – Super Kudos for recognizing "Catastrophizing" - even when the tasks ahead are daunting and "it would be abnormal not to be stressed.". Ouch for the lost groceries. Age related forgetfulness is 100% for all of us; it's not early dementia.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at having a street project that takes away your old soil. We paid a fortune to have the old clay hauled away when DW put in new soil a few years ago. Kudos for Maintaining my "environment."

maryann - Yep, it's hard to avoid the portion sizes that are appropriate for a growing boy at the table. Thanks for the simple summary, "Just people sharing the truth about what is going on in their search for sanity with food."

nationalparker – Ten slices out of one pie is a great way to control portion size. I know folks posting Facebook pictures of their Christmas trees already decorated - so you won’t be the first.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the motivation of "seeing lots of mostly fit people" - good to be reminded that watching folks sitting isn't motivating to get out and exercise. Allied is in every theatre complex nearby.

Beherenow - Kudos for starting! You are most welcome to join our forum. There are no rules for joining in - just post. As others have pointed out, daily posting is a good way to help with your accountability. Some of us post 'personals' - direct comments to someone's post. Don't feel required to do that, especially right away when we look like a zillion folks all the same. It won't take long before we begin to devolve into separate individuals.

Bslope0 - Yep, taking walks together is just the best form of exercise. If the posts in this thread awaken your interest in the books by Dr. Judith Beck, please do join us.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

#1: The Discouragement Trap

All told, he calculated that only six or seven hours at most had been difficult.

When Chris realized that most hours weren't hard - and, in fact, were neutral or even easy - he felt much better. He made the following reminder card:
When I get discouraged, count up the hard hours.
Remember that every hour of every day isn't
difficult. In fact, there are many more easy or
neutral hours than hard ones.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 179
Old 11-28-2016, 10:30 AM   #124  

Thank you for the warm and colorful welcome!
I came across the Beck plan a good while back in a bookstore, and it seemed, as it still does, like such a sane and logical approach. Did I have the sane and logical approach of committing to it at that point ? Um,no,but I am very eager to do so now. I found the thread, I am pretty sure, through a search.
I look forward to checking out past posts for advice and inspiration. I am motivated to make this lifestyle change in order to be healthier, be present to my family, and feel more in control.
Again, thanks!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #125  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

It is the countdown to Otis (our new pup for those of you who are new). On Friday we will fly to Denver to get him. I'm already thinking and planning how to integrate him into our home and still get out and get the exercise I need. My main goal is to be flexible. I see they have the Group Power Strength Training class in the evening and I may try that out once dh is home. It isn't that I feel I need to be here every minute, but more than I am now. I am looking forward to the entertainment and hope he helps with the boredom eating that I do.

I enjoyed my greeter duty at the trailhead yesterday. I find it interesting that the young fit people that I see are much more muscular than in the past when really thin gals seemed like those most envied. These gals have butts and thighs but no jiggle; they work at it.

Yesterday's food was on plan, credit. I really focused on portion control and found that about half of what I cooked for a dinner portion was fine. In fact we have leftovers which we will eat again this evening. I may need to make an extra side because the portion is even a little smaller than last night. It is Monday so I feeling motivated and joined a new challenge on My Fitness Pal. I take every opportunity to assist in staying motivated.

I talked this morning to dh about our diet/eating plan. I don't keep sweets or chips in the house and I wondered if he minded. He said he's glad because he needs that too. Glad to hear it since I was feeling a little guilty about him being deprived because I don't have the willpower to resist. Truth be told he could stand to lose a few more pounds too.

Today's exercise will be a hike with Suzanne after lunch. I'm not sure how far it is but probably 7 miles or so. It's quite cool this morning (51) and not expected to even hit 60, so an afternoon hike will be great.

Bill I love scallops too. I used to buy them occasionally for me when dh would have a steak or something, but haven't in awhile. There is no waste though and they are delicious. Glad the cabinet job is finished.

Onebyone You my dear sound totally overloaded. Who did this to you? I hope things calm down one of these days. I can't imagine not having some down time. It's true that I have too much and I would share with you if I could.

Nationalparker My Christmas tree is up. Disclaimer: it is artificial. When we were in Washington we always had a fresh Noble Fir tree. I have always liked them up a long time though and even in Washington where the trees were fresh the darn thing was a fire hazard by Christmas. When we moved to AZ I decided there was no way we could have a fresh tree and not burn the house down. We bough a pre lit tree at Costco (actually are on our second), but it is still less expensive than the live trees we used to get (average cost per year) and I don't have to worry about having it up for nearly a month. The other bonus is I don't have to be upset about how the lights look and dh doesn't have to listen to be grinch about how he is doing the lights.

Maryann Good luck with your new food plan. I have kind of adjusted my plan to individualize it to what works for me. I really limit wheat and dairy and mostly trying to eliminate sugar. The beer part is always a problem, except when it's not. Let us know how it goes.

Lexxis You are crazy busy as always. As I said at the beginning of my post, we come your way on Friday. We are only at the airport for about 3 hours. The breeder will bring Otis to us. I love to hear about your focus on your Mom. Of course I also realize some Mom's are easier to focus on than others. Mine was a gem who has been gone for 12 years. She was beautiful and young looking and had a bleed/stroke while on the exercise bike burning the calories. I was so glad she lived near me the last 5 years and we spent lots of time together.

Here's hoping we all have a good start to the week.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #126  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not good news from the doctor about my brother. We'll have more details later this week. He seems very defeated now. DH and I squabbled for a few minutes when I got very angry at him for continuing to tell me that it didn't look good and don't hold onto false hope for too much time with him. He immediately apologized but it irked me. He and I look at things much differently.

I am now thinking that I've gained a bit of weight here. We'll see. Trying my best and not going to make a separate meal or be a pain in the butt every mealtime. I'll just regroup on Friday. Issue is I'm actually eating about half of what we were eating on plan, and need to increase the meals and veggies. Snacks are cut down, etc., and what was helping us was the steady fuel and snacking. I think I'm just in a negative mindset right now.

Was able to work a half day today and we'll see what tomorrow holds. DH flies home tomorrow and then gets our pooch from his folks on Wednesday, then I fly home on Thursday.

I really like the Discouragement Trap excerpts - thank you.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:22 AM   #127  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Sue Miller is born (1943, Boston)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to class and back where I learned, one more time, that a class of 20 attentive readers finds more in a novel than I do alone. Duh! The Sound and the Fury requires a second reading to better see what's being said. Such a different read than The Good Mother, the novel by a Boston author.

Seems that DW found one more meal to be had from Thanksgiving's leftovers - in sane portions, CREDIT moi. Now we're really done. This one tasted especially good since I'd thought it was all gone. At an evening meeting, with snacks on the table in front of us, I only had one small nibble. I let others gobble the good cheeses.

nationalparker – Continuing to send supportive thoughts as you absorb your brother's test results and try to find your emotional path forward. Our family had a couple in a similar situation who actually switched between the 'realistic' and the 'optimistic' one. They got through it, including remaining supportive to the other family members.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for the day of Otis being in sight. Kudos for having removed sweets and chips from your house.

Bslope0 - Neat to share some items on your Advantages List: "I am motivated to make this lifestyle change in order to be healthier, be present to my family, and feel more in control."

Readers -
Quote:

Then Chris shared another sabotaging thought: "I still don't know if I can keep it up for the long term, though. Even though I know all the hours last week weren't hard, the ones that were hard felt really difficult. I'm worried I'll eventually get tired of dieting and give up. That's what has always happened in the past."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 179
Old 11-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #128  

Good morning coaches,

Food within calories and the hike ended up being a moderate to strenuous 7 1/2 miles yesterday, credit. Hiking Suzanne and I had a good visit on the hike which is always nice too. Today I'm hiking Flatiron with 3 good friends. It is always really hard and never seems to get easier, but we enjoy the challenge. I'm trying to limit bread, but I will take a sandwich on the hike since it is the easiest thing to carry. It's quite cold this morning, so we're leaving a little later. Even so, I'll wear layers and wear a small backpack because I know I'll be removing layers on the climb.

Bill You do some mighty serious reading. The left overs sound so good. Dh isn't a big turkey lover, so I've had most of my turkey in salads at lunch. It's pretty much gone now except a leg I have in the freezer.

Natinalparker Here's hoping today is better than yesterday. Hard to imagine you've gained any weight with as good as you have been following your plan in spite of the difficulty. How long have you been in Florida now? It will be good to have a reprieve in your own home.

Beherenow The Beck Plan is a sane approach. I love some of her sayings, especially "Hunger is not an emergency". I'm with you on wanting to feel in control. Good luck on the journey.

Waving to everyone else!

Last edited by karenrn; 11-29-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in.
Spent hours on Sunday prepping food for the next three weeks. But now with portions frozen it feels easy. Day one down.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #130  
Enjoying la bella vita

Good day here - DB is feeling stronger today, and I'm sad that it seems that it'll be slammed to the ground tomorrow at the dr. We'll see. I'm not sure if SIL is taking a full day off tomorrow, in which case I'll let them go to the appt. together without me ... if not, then I'll go and bring him home with me. DH is heading home now, to most likely two frantic lonely cats ... and will get the pooch tomorrow from his folks.

As OP as I could be today, with the exception of two bites of a broken almond biscotti that I made to leave them with a fresh recipe. Dinner will be OP, as well. Got in a full workday, so that helps me save sick/vacation time to use when needed more down the line.

No great insights to offer today (not that I ever do), just taking care of myself with the healthy eating and hoping I reap a bit of a benefit.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:32 AM   #131  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Mark Twain born (1835, Florida, Missouri)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked to my car to go to class in admission that pouring rain wasn't going to be much fun. But we do need the rain, so I'm happy.

Evening snack was half of a cake ball left over from Thanksgiving. Half!!! Because it was DW's portion that she decided that she didn't like. Who cannot like a cake ball? - evil little thing, it. All desserts should be made in such small portions that they can be enjoyed without breaking a calorie budget.

maryann - Sunday well spent! Love the thought of a freezer with three weeks of food frozen in portions.

nationalparker – Yay for a "feeling stronger" day for your brother. It's always Kudos worthy to be "taking care of myself with the healthy eating."

Karen (karenrn) - Flatiron sounds like a beautiful as well as strenuous hike - "only recommended for very experienced adventurers." Kudos for combining good exercise and good friendship.

Readers -
Quote:

But this wasn't the past. What was different about how he was going about dieting this time? We created a substantial list:
  • He was only making changes in his eating that he could keep up for life - no more crash diets or unreasonable restrictions.

• He could still have his favorite foods; he hadn't eliminated bread or beer or desserts as he had in the past.

• He had learned to eat moderate portions of favorite foods and enjoy every bite.

• He had learned how to motivate himself with his advantages list.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 180
Old 11-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #132  

Good morning coaches,

Food within calories and good hike for exercise yesterday, credit. I will add that calories would not have been well within calories except for the exercise. The Flatiron hike was great. The four of us are between 57 and 65 and hike regularly, it is a difficult hike and we decided to slow down a little. We took over 5 1/2 hours, but at least one hour was lunch and breaks. I think we all felt better at the end of the hike because we didn't push quite as hard. It is a strenuous climb with a few dicey places and I'll admit as I'm getting older it makes me a little more nervous, mainly because breaking my arm (from tripping over the dog not hiking) reminds me a person can really screw up their life for a while from an injury. In the end we were all just glad we can still do these fun things.

Today's not so fun exercise will be doing housework. The messy part of the bathroom renovation is completed, so I will clean all the floors and do a thorough dusting prior to decorating the tree and setting out the other Christmas decorations. I also need to buy a bow for the wreath on the door.

Bill Half a cake ball looks perfect. The only one I've ever had seemed to be made mostly of frosting, but the photos you attached don't look that way at all. I think I'll have to try a cake ball again one day.

Maryann Good job getting all that food prep completed. That should make things much easier in the busy days ahead.

Nationalparker Thinking of you today and hoping there is hopeful news at the doctor visit. It is such a positive that you have been following your food plan as well as you have. Kudos for that in a difficult situation.

Have a good day everybody!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in.

Two days down in new structure. Not hungry and scale is moving south. I'm not sure if related but the headaches I have had with the meds subsided since I have cut out the wheat, soy, dairy. Who knows but I'll take it.

Thinking of nationalparker. Such a difficult path for all concerned. Hoping I'll be hiking at 65 on a difficult mountain like Karen's friend. BBE: There is no such thing as half a cake ball. There are only 2 or more cake balls at a time by definition.

Last edited by maryann; 11-30-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #134  
Enjoying la bella vita

I keep starting and deleting my email. Tough day. Appt. with oncologist for DB went well. Now SIL talked with another oncologist nurse who was pushing strongly for a second opinion and said that the chemo they're planning was only used once in their clinic as a last resort. So THAT didn't go down well, and not sure where this is heading but instead of a reassuring "we're starting treatment asap" now it's all blown up here at the house and very awkward.

I've been here almost three weeks and head home tomorrow. Enjoyed a short walk tonight in flip flops - probably the last until my next trip here or May at home. Small joys in life. I am thankful for the warm weather treat I've had while here. I am going to try to remember to note something I'm thankful for each day, because my mind has been a bit warped onto the negative, it seems.

DH lost a half pound over the holiday weekend - he reported this morning. He did go to the gym a couple of times here. Said it felt good to lift heavy weights again, even though it was less than he could do before when he was lifting steadily and heavier. Funny in that as a joke, he flexed his bicep and apparently I've been missing out on that ... I was rather impressed and asked for a repeat show, which was denied. They were popping after the workout! Makes me wish for a more toned body. I used to love being able to see the muscles in my legs and slight biceps. Something to work toward in 2017.

Bill - A half of a cake ball?? WOW. Just Wow. I think more along Maryann's lines of a couple vs. a fraction. I'm looking forward to hearing how the Leaf does in the winter. My cousin in RI laughs at how terribly our roads are (are not) cleared, so my vehicle choice gets heavier as I get older.

Karen - I'd forgotten how you had broken your arm! Short memory. Excited along with you for Otis' arrival. I, too, hope to be strong and capable enough to hike after I retire!

Maryann - You impress me with your commitment to always focusing on a return to what works. Do you get off a long holiday break at year-end?

Will reset my goal weight this weekend down to 150 ... hope I don't have a lot of backtracking.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:31 AM   #135  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the December 2016 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:
You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:.
Closed Thread