Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

nationalparker: I followed the Virgin Diet Plan for months and it really worked for me. Replacing breakfast with a smoothie made life simpler. I had more fruit than recommended but it didn't seem to stop loosing.

Happy Trails, Karen.

BBE: I am already missing my puttering days of summer when I could keep everything "just so" like replacing a screw. That kind of stuff is very relaxing to me.

onebyone: I like the idea of checking in with myself before I take a misstep.

naturegirl: How was your week back? You have the young kids, right?

As for me: Yesterday I really held the line with my teenagers. I insist that everyone gets an equal share of my attention. If the rowdy ones steal more than their share ( calling out, wisecracks) I am coming down hard. The quiet ones deserve their education as well. We are working on answering a really tough question: How does an author convey meaning through literary elements. I lectured using the example "The Tyger" and they took notes. They worked in a group and presented an answer on poster. They listened to the presentations. Today they will write their own response. Even after all these structure, they will struggle. The other teachers in my school are handing out F's left and right. I am looking at their responses as a starting point. How far can I take them in one semester? Still I question if I am good enough. This makes me very hungry. But the scale says I am not acting on it and that is what is important.

I feel like the horse whisperer only for kids. They keep bucking and bucking until they realize I mean business. Am I getting too old to do this job? How will I fit exercise in today. Even with the heat, I'll commit to a walk.

Last edited by maryann; 08-17-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #92  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default yesterday and today

Coaches

Yesterday while checking in books at the library a woman I don't know approached me and said she saw me walking into the library and Jesus told her to give me this and she took out her wallet and pulled out a $20 and a $10 bill. I said 'I don't want that". She said "It's not about the material things. Jesus told me to give it to you. You know about Jesus don't you? I see you read. Haven't you read about Jesus?" I find this line of questioning infuriating. It's no one's business what my personal beliefs are and just cause you ask doesn't mean I will answer. I didn't answer that so she said "Here take it. It's what I do." I said "I don't need that." She said everyone needs money and then she said it was from Jesus again. I was quite calm and I was staring into her eyes trying to sum her up. No way would I engage her in anything and she was sort of getting nervous because I suppose it's easy to give money away I'll bet and would make her feel good but I wasn't cooperating. I thought if Jesus told her it was me that was supposed to get that money then she isn't going to give up because that's her mission. So she said "Just take it and give it to someone else then." I said Ok I'd do that. She said you'll tell them it's from Jesus, right? I said sure and she gave me the c ash I threw it in my bag she scurried out and I went to the library search computer and felt ever so conflicted and that money, I tell you, felt like a curse in my bag. I decided to anonymously donate it to the local cat rescue so I wrote a note explaining how I got the money, mentioned Jesus, fulfilling my promise to her, and adding my own spin and then I sealed addressed and walked to the mailbox with it and dropped it in. So, I got a walk out of it anyway. Now why I was upset is she picked me out of the crowd/passersby. I was wearing my old tshirt and my capris were dusty and dirty. I was coming from the guild. I was sweaty and of course I am fat and not very pulled together. I feel like she judged me based on my appearance and wow it is upsetting. But that's my own stuff, eh? My own personal triggers? Yes.

Today is dental hygienist day where she will chastise me. I have been bad this last three months. But I am surrendering to the periodontist next so we'll see what happens with that. I'll get the referral at the dental office today.

And I need to visit my mother today and see if they actually have put her on the list to do an internal move in the building from a private room to a shared one. Financially it is necessary. I had requested this in April and just found out nothing's going on with that. Now my sister is angry at me for not checking up and for not visiting my mother enough. Sigh.

Oh a happy note, I have an interview in September for teaching an art workshop : drawing and painting your pet. I taught a paint your pet's portrait class once. It was really paint your *dead* pet's portrait but that was ok with me. Over half the class were painting deceased companions. I was recommended by an artist friend to the person in charge of arts classes at a local community center. I'm following up with that today.

Foodwise I am on track! Amazing. I no longer want to be exceptionally large and stand out in crowds. I am looking to be ordinary size. I was alos at the local thrift shop trying on tops and there still are very few that I can wear due to the size of my upper arms. If I lose even ten pounds that changes. That's doable. That and more.

Bye for now Coaches. Thanks for reading.

(PS I could use a hug.)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #93  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, everyone! Taking a quick minute or few here to check in. First off, hugs to OneByOne. How strange and frustrating, but I'm glad the cat shelter got the money. Good ending. That would have bugged me, but I would have probably responded the same way - why me/finally relenting and doing what I consider good with it. Good luck with visiting your Mom today. Can you put on a cd/music on the way there and back that is extremely peaceful and pleasurable for you?

I'm down another pound-plus this morning. So there is the reinforcement in the morning that I apparently need at night. I didn't want to keep checking in here with whining notes. Today's breakfast was chicken with mustard (because I need a seasoning) wrapped in romaine lettuce. Seemed like a lot and I couldn't finish it. DH's meals for the day were packed and ready to go, so he can get out quickly in the mornings. It takes me an extra hour every night to chop, etc. Funny in that we typically ate fairly healthy, looking to keep out HFCS, etc., but looking for potato flour, wheat, sugar, nitrites - it's in so much. Scale at 172.4. Don't laugh at me, but I'm going to keep updating my ticker up/down as this process moves along. I've read that some folks gain on the three days you can include more food and some healthy fats. SO it might be rebounding on the weekend. DH was startled when we were in bed and snuggling and I said, I really want some mashed potatoes. HUH? That just slipped out.

Bill - We would LOVE to do solar panels, but in Indiana, there is little sun for months with the cloud cover we get from the lake effect weather, they say. So for a personal investment, nope. They do have a field of them next to our airport. I used to think it'd be blinding to the pilots. Kudos for attending! Love that they were aghast! haha

Maryann - Your teaching methods sound wonderful. Do you have many introverts in your class who are hesitant at speaking up/group projects? I imagine I would have loved to have you as a teacher, since you're so mindful of everyone, not just the rabblerousers.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Well we are back in civilization and I’m not happy about it. : I wanna LIVE in Mt Rainier National Park. Wow that’s an amazing place! Even though we live only 2 hours from the campground we stayed at, we rarely visit and that is too bad because it is just stunning. Hikes every day- moderate trouble with my foot but quick recoveries each morning. Lots of sweating and panting as we climbed steep places and then hiked down…we were on the shoulders of Mt. Rainier after all!
Foodwise, only two real glitches; one when our reservations couldn’t be found. I don’t think I was stress eating, it was just that lunch was temporarily inaccessible and fritos were right there. And I was needing to eat before my blood sugar plunged. Second was when I snuck into town to make two appointments (no cell service in the park) and ended up at a coffee shop I love and I let a cookie jump into my hand. BBE, I think I justified it as ‘rare and unusual’ because I only stop by there 3-4 times a year on my way to DD#1’s house. Otherwise, reasonable foods and reasonable amounts, with a few healthy snacks thrown in due to the exertion of the hiking.
We will see the results tomorrow morning on the scale, and then it’s off to work in my classroom some more. I’m planning a packed lunch for that, and an afternoon bike ride since I have to be there early for a meeting. I am ready to be intentional about exercise now – adding it in to build on the beginning base I built this week, and scheduling it since life is only going to get crazier. Maryann, we don’t start until next Monday, the 22nd.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #95  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - R.I.P. Mongol conqueror Genghis Khan (China, 1227)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - At last I had some success fixing a hollow-core door with a hole where the door stop used to be screwed. There isn't much to work with when a door consists of two sheets of thin plywood spaced with a mesh of cardboard honeycomb. A new solid wood door isn't that expensive, but fitting a door to an existing door frame is carpentry magic. For those who don't know, doors come built into a door frame to be installed as a unit - a simple solution that isn't an option when there is complex Victorian trim on both sides of the existing door.

Dinner on the patio included tomato salad from the bounty of our garden. We aren't getting that much this year but this salad was just splendid. I spent the whole day ignoring some chocolate treats that came home with us last weekend. CREDIT moi for not eating something that wasn't on my plan anyway.

onebyone – Sending cyber hugs - you deserve them. That's one weird story about the proselytizer insisting that you take money. I'm more used to the folks at airports who demand that I accept a 'free' rose then demand that I make a religious offering in gratitude. Kudos for "Foodwise I am on track!"

Nature Girl – Yep, jumping cookies are hard to ignore, LOL. Love your joy for Mt Rainier National Park - what a treasure you guys have.

maryann - Yay for standing firm so that teens have something to buck heads against. Kudos for committing to walk despite the heat.

nationalparker – LOL at "I really want some mashed potatoes" - that's the strangest pillow talk I've ever heard. Kudos for continuing your plan.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#5: The Unreasonably Strict Eating Plan Trap

Next we discussed Karen's reentry into post vacation life. Returning home and getting back on track had historically been a problem for her. She decided to prepare and freeze turkey meatballs before she left and to make sure that she also had frozen vegetables in the freezer, so she wouldn't be tempted to just snack and graze when she got home instead of sitting down for a proper meal. She also committed to getting on the scale the next morning no matter what. And for the first time, she arranged to go late to work the following day so she would have time to go to the supermarket and get the house in order for the week. She added these items to her vacation list.

I saw Karen two weeks later. She had done really well. Although she had deviated from her plan twice, she got herself back on track immediately. And she had already lost one of the two pounds she had gained. She was very happy!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 146

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-19-2016 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #96  

Phone check in. I did it. I walked last night in the heat. It felt good. Another walk tonite. Food was OP and my clothes right fit a little better.

My bucking stallions were much calmer as I kept the lights off and listened to their poetry presentations.

BBE: maybe the house isn't big enough for both you and the chocolate. I know which one has to go 😄

Way to go nationalparker. The truth is it takes a LOT of time to eat correctly.

Wave to all.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #97  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hello, coaches! This week seems to be plodding along at a tortoise's pace. Which is good, I suppose, if you're dreading something next week, but the weekend anticipation is great - just to not be going in to work.

Scale stayed the same, which in all honesty was a disappointment, but then I thought I certainly cannot expect a loss every single day, just as much as I never want to see a gain every single day! DH is down nearly five pounds, he reported in shock. I kind of hounded him to weigh after I'd seen 2+ pounds gone quickly. My waist dropped an inch, so that wheat bloat I hear about must be leaving. That's my theory anyway. These two days of only meat/veg is odd. Today's lunch is tuna salad (a fave of DH, NOT of mine, but figured I needed to change up the menu) with lemon and mustard, cukes, minced onion and s+p ... in a half of a red pepper. I'm highly suspicious that it'll be edible since I prepped it last night for today and am going into it with a terrible attitude. It's one meal out of the day, the week, the month. I'll survive. Water has been so easy, with that being the only choice - there is no decision to be made. Like Beck's "No Choice" ... very helpful. I really like that she says this is not how you need to eat forever, but to get the metabolism cranking again. We'll see how it rolls with the first addition of healthy fats tomorrow. I'm excited for the meal plan - already have small omelette with peppers and onions in the menu, as well as chicken burrito bowls with tiny modifications from our normal ones. Roasted sweet potatoes, carrots and onions will return to the menu, as well. I just have to rein in my desire to eat my "normal" food with some olive oil!

Bill - I learned the door deal years ago when I bought a storm door and my Dad was going to install it in my first home. He asked if it was prehung. Yep, sure is! He got there and umm ... apparently it wasn't. It was hanging in the store when I was looking at them, and I didn't know what that meant. Live and learn. Kudos to you for not listening to the siren call of chocolate.

Maryann - Credits for walking on a hot night, when there were probably 20 other things calling to you. You are RIGHT on the time aspect. DH helped with the chopping, mincing of stuff last night, as well as with cooking his cabbage, etc., and we got done with dinner, dishes, and lunch prep by 8:45 p.m.

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-18-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #98  

Hi! Can I join all of you? I read the instructions at the top, but apologies if I'm missing any rules about posting--just let me know!

I am on Day 2, but I read the whole book before starting so I knew I would need to start looking for a community. I hope that this book will help me get past what is always my stumbling block leading to re-gaining weight: "it's unfair that I can't eat whatever I want!" I was always one of those kids who could eat anything in insane quantities, so it has been a struggle for me to accept that I can't do that. I am hoping to lose about 35 lbs.* (but only 5 lbs. at first )

EDIT: As my answer suggests, I am following her first book. Is the second book worth buying?

Last edited by faster90; 08-18-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

Credit: All on plan eating for yesterday and so far today. On Day 18 Change Your Definition of Full - did not eat my planned salad at lunch but will enjoy it as a 3:00 pm snack. I am finding that I have been eating to overfull and then later wanting something else to eat so maybe transitioning to smaller meals and allowing healthy snacks will be a change of food plan - but NO unplanned eating.

A co-worker gave me a 100 calorie bag of Skinny-Pop and I put it in my desk so I could have it the next day. I write my food down at night right after dinner so I didn't eat it that afternoon - YEAH ME!!!!!-

One by one: Loved the Quote: "Check yourself before you wreck yourself. " I know I am my worst enemy.

Made my first sabotaging thoughts card and a anti-craving technique card with a list of what to do instead of spontaneous eating.

Have exercised 5 out of the last 6 days. Really looking forward to weighing in on Sunday. I have finally made the decision to take this next step in my weight loss journey more seriously and really try to move that scale in the right direction.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

Faster90: I just read your post. I was wondering the same thing about the blue book. Also wow! You read the whole book before even starting. I have started the book get through a few weeks and then stop. My goal this time is to go through the whole thing and actually write up the cards I need and read them when I need to. Glad you are on this journey. I want to lose 5 lbs right now too.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:16 AM   #101  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome faster90

faster90

And, in honor of your first post,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:26 AM   #102  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Orville Wright's Birthday (Dayton, Ohio, 1871)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I worked on some plumbing underneath the sink until I was dripping. The good part about working near my drawer of clean clothes is that it was easy to just put on dry clothes. I've lost sight of anything else in the world except getting this job done. I discovered that the plumber some 20 years ago improperly applied plumbers' putty so that the overflow on the sink didn't work - a disaster just waiting to happen. Whoever tests the overflow of a sink? Now I will!

Dinner on the patio was a pork chop and included cherry tomatoes from our garden. Our patio now smells faintly of fish! DW came out yesterday morning to find her bottle of fish fertilizer opened and spread about along with many, many raccoon pawprints. There's no evidence that they drank any, but seemed to have been 'catnipped' by the smell. They then washed their paws in the birdbath. It was quite a cleanup job.

maryann - Yay for the clothes fit NSV. [Yep, those chocolates are crowding me a bit in this house.]

nationalparker – Congrats for an inch gone from the waist. By-the-by, I just learned that Kendrick Farris, the only U.S. Olympic weightlifter, eats vegan. What a good counter to the folks who say you can't get enough protein from plants.

millie56 - Kudos for recognizing that eating to overfull can creep into our lives.

faster90 - Congrats for being well under way doing the 42 Days of the Beck DIET solution. The Pink book is a great way to start. My take is that one uses the Beck strategies for years and years so the Green book and then the Blue book are great for refreshing later on. I, too, have trouble with "it's unfair that I can't eat whatever I want!" - especially when I'm eating with teenagers taking down huge platters of food. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Unreasonably Strict Eating Plan Trap

Dieters can be all-or-nothing about eating out, whether they're dining close to home or traveling. They frequently think they should abandon all restrictions on vacation or they should follow exactly the same plan as they do at home. Someplace in the middle is a better bet. But don't just "loosen up." Especially if you'll be away for a few days, figure out how much weight you're willing to gain, if any, and plan your food intake accordingly. It's totally reasonable - and probably important - to plan to eat a little more at meals or have extra treats. As long as you make a plan in advance and stick to it, you'll reinforce good habits, even if you do gain a pound or two.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 147
Old 08-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #103  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I see that my post yesterday went into the great netherworld.

OP and finally after three months of tracking I have made some progress. I am sure it helps working 11 hours a day, walking around campus and exhausting I'll take. I could easily be trying to survive with sugar but my rule stands firm : No sweets at work.

First fight ever in 25 years of teaching in my classroom! Wow. Ironically, I am a tiger for classroom management. This girl was an aberration and out of control. Very difficult;t to manage the situation went I didn't want to make contact. I had my 6'5 football block the door after the intended target escaped. Admin was going to give her a slap on the wrist and conflict resolution. Thankfully another VP listen to me and the girl will be transferred out of the class to be separated from her frenemy. Wow. This didn't make me hungry. And I used it as a bonding experience with the other students. Still, a little shaken.

Well, I was thrown a bone by a two pound drop. Feels good to have the ticker move down. Food planned. I have dance duty which will give me lots of exercise.

Nationalparker: I was on the Virgin diet Plan. It really worked for me.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #104  
Enjoying la bella vita

Think it'll be easier to check-in this morning than later; we might be heading to listen to the Beach Boys concert - as in set up a blanket nearby on the grassy lawn but I didn't want to drop the $$ on the tickets. It's supposed to rain, so this makes it a win-win in my book - if it's raining, we're not out the cash or sitting in the rain.

Down to 171.0 this morning on one scale and 171.8 on the other one. Why bother with both? I don't really know other than I wanted the crosscheck. Clearly I like the first weight more. But as long as it's trending in the right direction. DH said his shirts and jeans are already fitting better. Yay! I've heard folks jump up a bit on the scale in the third phase (fri-sat-sun) when you add in a lot more fats, but then drop again when you restart on Monday. I hope I don't get into the head games. Checked out a few of her videos to answer some questions and it seems pretty straight forward. I can honestly say I never thought about the micronutrients in foods - i thought about antioxidants, fat, fiber, sodium, sugar, etc. but nothing more oh, wait calories.

Looking forward to the extra time on the weekend to hopefully plan out our meals a bit better, and get in the mindset of mixing more foods (instead of a grilled chicken breast and broccoli).

Bill - I would have LOVED to have seen the raccoons on your porch how funny. I find them such adorable critters. As a kid, I used to want to find an orphaned baby and raise it. Of course that's from the many books with that as the subject available then ...

NatureGirl - I'm envious of your proximity to Mt. Rainer NP - aahhhh... The smell of the forests is like a cure-all. So glad that you enjoyed it so much! A great wrap-up to the summer.

Faster90 - Welcome! Great to have you join us - looking forward to hearing your challenges and solutions! I have the pink book and the green book and haven't ever finished the green book yet. I especially love the No Choice and "Oh Well" thoughts... Those seem to help me the most.

Millie - GREAT willpower to save that 100 cal bag of Skinny Pop - I would have thought, oh, just 100 calories - i'll snack on it now. Credits!

Maryann - I'm encouraged by your clothes fitting better and your intent to look nice at all times. I feel I've gotten a bit lazy with some of my work "outfits" and would love to fit into my nicer stuff again soon. That's a good motivator. We have a fairly casual (capris allowed) dress code in summer, so I love that!

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-19-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #105  

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I am realizing that posting from my phone is making it hard to follow along, so I'll have to start using my computer so I can keep up with how you are all doing (as hopefully I will stick with this and you'll be seeing me for a while!)

I'm glad some of you are still on the pink book. After my post yesterday I checked the green ebook out from my library and read it. I can see how it's an improvement in many ways, but I also think the Day system is a good way to start for me. I also know that realistically I won't follow her diet plan because it's so dependent on cooking and I don't have a lot of time for that. I know she says you need to make time for your diet and I am, but I find this whole thing much easier to contemplate if I can order salads for dinner at work, etc. if I'm really having problems I'll consider her diet though.

For me the most helpful thing about the green book was all of the response card ideas which she puts in little boxes throughout. It seems like there are more than in the pink book. Before my loan runs out in going to make a bunch of the cards to keep.

Day 3 for me, eat sitting down. This isn't a huge struggle for me, but I'm sure I'll find I stand more than I realized. The hardest thing for me is focusing on my food. I've been reading while eating since I was in kindergarten, and I would hate to have to give that up. I was thrilled that she said I didn't have to, but I do want to take paying attention to my food seriously as well, so I will try to do some meals with no distractions.

Good luck today everyone! I'm excited to have made the progress that all of you have someday

Edit: I love your posts Bill! I had seen 3FC before and then when I was googling around I was happy to see that you seem to have an active Beck Diet forum. I'm not sure how I found the book--embarrassingly, I think I was googling something like "diet I will actually stick to..." How about you??

Last edited by faster90; 08-19-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Closed Thread