Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:52 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Nautilus travels under North Pole (1958)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, including stopping at the drugstore for an errand. I had to use my umbrella the whole time. I had been tempted to drive because of the rain, but realized that that was a Sabotaging Thought; the real reason I wanted to drive was that I like driving my electric car. A trip to Home Depot to buy a bag full of washers and faucet stems was additional exercise just walking the miles of aisles in that humongous place.

Eating was good enough. I ate all my snacks because I was fretting getting a contractor to agree to a date. Folks jump faster for $5000 worth of work than they do for $500 worth. Makes sense, but it's still frustrating.

onebyone – Love the image of you printing with a lawn/sod roller. When you win the lottery you can buy your own asphalt roller, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, eating while standing does seem able to creep back in past the best of intentions.

Nature Girl – Watching extravagant desserts go down without participating is Kudos worthy.

maryann - Waving back toward Oregon and the Shakespeare Festival; that does sound fun. Kudos for doing what has to be done to prepare your classroom.

nationalparker – LOL at "in teen girl dramatic voice." Kudos for recognizing the dramatic urge so you can go forward.

Karen (karenrn) - So exciting that you actually have the Grand Canyon permit in hand. I've not been to the North Rim - it's on my Bucket List. Yay for sleep.

ennay - Kudos for finding a new doctor - that's a tough one. I dread that my doctor will retire and I'll have to look anew.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#4: The Vegas Mind-Set Trap

Here's what she came up with:
Advantages of staying in control

I'll feel better!
Won't gain weight (or as much weight)
Guilt won't interfere with the pleasure I do get from eating
Will feel proud of myself
Won't have to worry about returning to everyday eating when I get home because I will have been on track the whole time
Won't dread getting on the scale when I get home
Will feel lighter in my body
Will feel less self-conscious
Will be better role model for kids (not constantly snacking)
Won't obsess about food and my weight, spoiling my fun
Will feel more upbeat and positive during the trip because I won't be feeling bad about my eating

. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 143
Old 08-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #17  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Calories were a little higher than they should have been yesterday, not too bad though. I'm heading out shortly to get on the elliptical at the Y. It seems I just have to get my exercise done in the morning.

We had quite a storm last evening. I guess we probably had 1 1/2 inches of rain in a very short period of time. My husband and I alternated sweeping the water into the pool. I don't think it would have come up to the back door, but it was too close to wait and see. So, the pool water is probably a bit dirty, but the patio is certainly clean.

I went shopping yesterday afternoon and purchased some Zensah compression sleeves for my lower legs. Actually I found them at Road Runner sports and after waiting for a sales person to come ring me up, I headed home and purchased them from Amazon for a good savings. They prevent swelling, prevent your legs from getting so tired and supposedly also help shin splints. I've heard of a number of people getting shin splints on the Camino and I don't want them.

I did buy some shorts at REI on sale. I think they'll work well for the Camino. I like to have pockets and these do. The Zensah's are hot pink and I have a hot pink Under Armour shirt that I like. I had hoped to purchase another one, but I guess they've changed to new colors. I guess I'll wear the one I have.

Well, I guess I'll get moving before I lose the motivation. Have a good day!

Last edited by karenrn; 08-03-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #18  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

karenrn Zenzah's are pretty cool. I have a tendency to calf strain in one side and they help a lot. If you have time, though do some long workouts with them before Camino. I found that in the other leg it aggravated some old knee stuff, just pushed the scar tissue into the tendon. It took me an embarrassingly long time to come up with "you know you dont HAVE to wear both" I got my Zenzah's as a gift and they are bright red which matches nothing I own. I have a great picture of me with my electric turquoise shoes, my red zenzah, black shorts with a bright green race bib and a safety orange shirt. You could see me coming miles away.

On plan yesterday, managed to make dinner even though I was sick and just wanted take out. My stash of partially prepped meals is running low, i am going to need a massive cooking day soon, hopefully I can hold out until school starts/wrist improves. Slicing and chopping is hard to do.

I'm feeling somewhat guilty for not working out today, so my illness must be improving. I am going to try and walk to the farmers market later and see if I can keep my lungs inside my body today.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

Quick check-in 1. I'm about to run an errand. I really want a treat for a variety of reasons, none of which I've fully explored. In this moment, though, the easiest thing is to simply say "No choice." I'll check-in when I get home to claim credit for skipping the treat.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #20  
Green Tomatoes

Quick check-in 2. CREDIT -- no snack while I was out!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #21  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default Getting a virus alert...

Hello! I'm getting a virus alert on a few computers as I've tried to check in here the past few days. I am very hesitant to use my work computer if it's showing that, so hope it's nothing. Famous last words. On kindle.

Booked flight to Italy tonight...then noticed my middle initial was wrong. Huh!?! So have been working to get that fixed, canceled, rebooking and it couldn't be done online, so phone calls and now on a 90-minute hold. Lost the last call with an agent and no call back, which aggravates me since they have the number. So . I wait. But not wait and eat...as was my first impulse.

Editing to add...took 4.5 hours to resolve. To only get them canceled. Went to rebook...system changed my full middle name again.shut down.

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-03-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #22  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi coaches!

I am weary. It's been a trying day. Roof is not finished but I have made a very concerted effort not to eat over it. Credit. I finished my work days at the restaurant yesterday and we were scheduled to start the cap of the roof this morning but it rained like crazy last night. I got up early and cleared the water off so it could start drying but it was too wet to work. So my friend who's helping told me she was going to to Denver to complete an errand. I thought she'd be back around noon but she didn't get back until four. Additionally, our roof guru who was going to show up this morning and give us some good advice on our finish did not show up nor did he call. Did not respond to texts either. He had had Oral surgery last Friday and had been having some serious problems. I am certain he is not well, perhaps even in The hospital. When my girlfriend showed up at four we just decided we had to make our best decision and start. We got the flashing on the bottom and completed the first two courses of six. The rain held off longer than expected so we worked to the best of our ability. The rain came we tarped it over.Tomorrow it's supposed to be dry until late afternoon. We are both going to go to Denver to drop her car off at 8 AM. Come up and work again. I pray for a nice finish. I think it will not rain as much tonight as it did last night. Only time will tell. Weight is down and I didn't eat much today. Credit for a smoothie.

Today I was doubting myself and asked myself why I had thought I could do this. Truth is, my friend and I are capable of this and it's saving thousands of dollars that would be spent hiring someone else to do it. If I could even find someone to do it. It really doesn't matter now. We started and we will finish. Sabotaging thoughts don't help. Beck teaches me I can take those thoughts and turn them around. Credit.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Day three and no detours today, just steady, adequate meals planned in my head this morning and executed with, well, I wouldn't say with enthusiasm.
One thing I'm proud of is this: I HATE paying bills and usually afterwards DH brings me a DQ Blizzard as a reward. So I paid bills tonight, and no blizzard of course, by my request I'm trying to think of a different reward ...
I'm going to, for practicality's sake, make a small adjustment in the "No Eating in the Car" rule. Because of the blood sugar problems, it is sometimes imperative that I have a small snack "right now" when I get "that feeling", or I can get kinda sick. So sometimes driving around doing errands or appointments I'm going to give permission for 1/2 a protein bar as needed. Better than stopping somewhere for something with probably 4 times as many calories, or "melting down", which leads to way more eating. I know, I know I should make sure I've eaten properly before I leave the house but right now when I'm making dramatic changes in my eating it's hard to predict how long the last meal will last.
Doing a riverfloat tomorrow with DH & BFF, & her DH. Will have to decide whether adjust "No booze (except one beer on Friday nights)" rule because I can't imagine being on the river without beer! I can just move my Friday night beer to Thursday afternoon, I guess. And we're taking a cooler with lunch & healthy snacks (watermelon!) so I can avoid the treats we'll drive by on our way home.
Lexxis you are strong in two ways - brave to take on the roof, and tough to keep from eating over it.
Yay [B]Gardenrjoyyou resisted! And you used the site to help you succeed.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:20 AM   #24  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Lizzie Borden took an axe ... (Fall River, Mass, 1892)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Replaced three shut-off valves in the bathroom. One of the big challenges to a plumbing job is that the shut-off valves haven't been used in years and no longer work. Then the disintegrated washer flows up into the spigot causing stoppage and appearing that the shut-off valves are in the off position. Apparently, I wish that I'd spent my working years as a plumber, LOL.

Eating outside was such a pleasure. DW made gazpacho from the few cukes our garden has produced. Cukes require lots of water and our paucity isn't producing many. She served toasted nan with it and offered cheese. CREDIT moi for the small step of refusing the cheese.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for a serious example of planning with commitment.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Absolutely admiring your stick-to-itiveness with that roof. Super Kudos for charging forth despite the challenges.

Nature Girl – Kudos for bringing a cooler to have healthy snacks.

nationalparker – Good luck confronting the bureaucracy between you and a flight to Italy. DW goes by her middle name so airline tickets are a constant battle with us.

Karen (karenrn) - Seems strange - Arizona doesn't do rain then does 1.5 inches in one gulp. I don't suppose that you want my lecture on moderation in all things, LOL.

ennay - Kudos for cooking when raging Sabotaging Thoughts suggested take out.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Here's what she came up with: . . .
Disadvantages of staying in control

Can't eat spontaneously

Have to plan in advance

Can't eat as much as I'd like

May have cravings

Won't be able to eat everything my family is eating
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 143
Old 08-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #25  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Time for a quick post before I head for the gym.

Calories at the top of acceptable again yesterday. I did get the elliptical done, credit, and I'm heading to the gym in a minute to do the Group Power class. My upper body was sore from Tuesday's workout, but in a good way. Boy do I need to keep doing this class.

I had successful shopping yesterday including a new dress for the wedding later this month, new shoes, socks, sleep shirt, and tee shirt for the camino. I'm pretty much set except for a amphipod waist belt to use for money, credit cards and passport, etc. I won't always use it on my waist, but at times I may want it handy. It will also work for other hikes later.

Bill I try to do moderation in all things too, but Arizona weather doesn't do it that way.

Nature Girl Have fun on the river float. What river will you be on?

Lexxiss I hand it to you for all the difficult chores you do. I guess not all of them are easy by any means. Good luck finishing the roofing project.

Nationalparker I haven't been getting any virus alerts, but I have been logged out more than it ever used to happen. I'm not sure why.

GardenerJoy Congrats on no snack. Boy do I wish there were something to get my appetite in check. I honestly think some of it is too much time on my hands.

Ennay Thanks for the hints on the Zensahs. I ordered mine in hot pink, but they will match a couple of my tee shirts and one of the colors in my new shoes. I'm trying to get some color coordination, except for my rain coat which is green. If I don't get any work outs done before I go, I'll just start out using them shorter periods of time until I see how they work. I don't have any knee issues or anything . . . yet.

Well off I go to the gym. My workouts aren't all that long compared to a good long hike, but I guess I'll give myself credit for consistency. Now if I could just do a better job of cutting back on calories enough for some weight loss.

Last edited by karenrn; 08-04-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #26  
Green Tomatoes

My success yesterday at skipping the treat was followed by some problems. I'm reminding myself that I live my life in patterns. It takes time to move from one pattern to a different one. I'm doing some things to aid in that move, including a written food plan for today.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #27  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

All is well in our household as trip plans can now go into full gear as I've booked our flights successfully finally this evening. Hoping that the credit is processed quickly, as it's substantial to us. DH also booked our car with a great deal for Labor Day trip to my brother and SIL in Florida. It's been since January that I've been there.

I'm staying up on the scale and am a bit frustrated, but haven't been active late this week. Sitting at the computer and just doing housework and cleaning. Tonight's dinner was [a first for us] - pb&j sandwich with Fresh Market's honey roasted fresh peanut butter and Stonewall kitchen strawberry jam. Never have I coasted dinner like that but he countered my suggestion of our planned Mexican meal with a quick sandwich and that worked quickly to get us fed/done. No dishes! Have not slept more than three hours the past four nights. I need to take a benadryl to sleep tonight.

My grape tomato bush has given us close to 50 tomatoes in the past three evenings. I will get crackin' and make something with them. Before I was just eating them a few each day but now ... harvest! Still about 150+ on there. Skins are still tough. I did something wrong... but not sure what.

No virus alert tonight - but had it for a few days straight. Don't want to cause an issue with a work computer, so was worried.

Today would be my folks' 66th anniversary. Good memories of many of their anniversaries celebrated as a family. Bill - We'll join you in dining out this weekend as our humidity is to drop, supposedly. OH, ballgame on saturday night, so maybe for lunch under the umbrella. Some of my patio planters are very bedraggled and I'm going to replace with something else this weekend. Petunias (white) that looked so full, fresh and lush are now leggy and ugly. Those will come out for certain.
Karen - I had to look up that belt. I like that idea for other things, too. Wish I knew someone in my family who would use one!
Old 08-05-2016, 12:25 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Tried and tried to add a photo of our raft trip on the Wenatchee River, an hour north of our home. What a perfect day! Hard, though, to understand how exhausted we are after just ‘laying there’ all day.
Stuck to my planned two beers & lunch from the cooler. On the way home we DROVE RIGHT PAST Coldstone Creamery which is a total accomplishment in my life.
Next weekend we will be on the Yakima River, which we cross on our way into town, in a 6 man raft with two of our daughters. Another beautiful float through different terrain and more serious water. Can’t wait!
Tomorrow: write down my food plan ahead of time. I just erased the try to at the beginning of that sentence.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:53 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (Moscow, 1963)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner on the patio was lentils so it was a vegetarian day. CREDIT moi for healthy eating - even if not perfect. We stayed out long enough to see a bat going after the evening bugs. I have no idea where it lives during the day.

Walk, CREDIT moi, gave me a chance to examine an all-electric Sharp vehicle at a charging station. I noted that it is designed with only three lug nuts holding each wheel. That's seems like a small number. The small Honda next to it had four. The standard Toyota sedan had five. And a larger pickup truck had six. Now my new quest in life is to find a wheel that's held on by more than six lug nuts. I'm easily amused.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Changing patterns for me always facing the challenge of recognizing what my patterns are.

Nature Girl – Monster Kudos for passing a Cold Stone Creamery without stopping. There isn't one close to me so I'd be seriously tempted since its reputation is stellar. Time on a river is exhausting.

nationalparker – Yay for plane tickets - presumably with your correct name. Your tomatoes are doing better than ours.

Karen (karenrn) - Buying a dress for a wedding and an amphipod waist belt at the same time is certainly working both sides of your brain, LOL. Yep, Kudos for consistency.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

When she finished the chart, Karen said, "Okay, It's clear. I guess it's exactly the same as at home. I feel better in control and worse when I'm out of control." She wrote herself a reminder card:
When I let my eating get out of control on vacation
it makes the vacation worse, not better, because I
end up feeling guilty and bad. Staying in control of
my eating on vacation makes the whole trip better
because I feel so much better. And then I won't have
to worry about getting back on track when the
vacation is over because I will have been on track
the whole time.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Back from Ashland, Oregon. It was a wonderful trip. The production of Twelfth Night was top notch. It was set in the roaring 20s and ended with a big tap dancing finale - Top Hat and Coats and a giant mirror ball descending. I wonder what the bard would have thought of it all. DS loved it. Midway through he said, "My brain is starting to understand the language. Now it's pretty easy." I wish I was that confident.

Food continues to be good choices, tracked but over point allotment. My appt. with the scale was postponed because the WW was not open as advertised. A pretty painful bladder infection sent me to the Dr. where I weighed status quo. I hate being on anti biotics. It always send my weight up as does the ibuprofen I am taking. I think I will commit to a Sunday WW meeting.

The countdown to school has started for me. Already I am having teacher dreams ( students can't hear me when I talk, student are on the second floor and I am one the first, etc. . . . ) It is exciting to be back full time in the classroom. I am also nervous for the new challenge of high school.Two more hours of gum removal, surface wiping with soap, and furniture rearrangement means I finally have the room clean enough to start moving in my stuff. DH will help me with that. This is the season I eat very little as I work hard to prep. I must reinstitute the "no sweets at work rule" and remember that working my classroom is not exercise. So I commit to the gym this afternoon.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 08-05-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Closed Thread