Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #61  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Calories were over yesterday by about 2 beers, imagine that.

I slept really well last night and did not hear the thunder and lightening that dh told me about and this morning and I woke up with no headache. I don't know why that is that it always seems to be about 3 days no matter what I do. My neck is still a little stiff and crackly, but not painful. I will go to Group Power class this morning, but will be really careful with the weights.

Bill I can't imagine such a late delivery. I hope they are at the early end of the window.

Nature Girl Glad you had a successful shopping trip. I'm sure it's a really nice swimming suit, so glad it was on sale.

Nationalparker I hope you enjoyed Cirque du Soleil. I have never been, but it always looks great. Glad to see you are having some good days too.

Lexxiss Okay, now I'm waiting for you to tell us you will be replacing the clutch on the Porsche yourself, he he. That's got to be an expensive repair. Our neighbor works for an Exotic Motors business and always has a different car in the driveway. Right now it's a Lamborghini. Dh just drools over some of them. He would love a nice Porsche too.

I'm going to the movies this afternoon with a friend. I have seen surprisingly few movies this summer and the one I'm going to today will most likely be awful, Bad Moms (can I just say it was not my choice). My friend isn't around much and I look forward to seeing her for a short visit before the movie starts.

Other than that, I'm just waiting to go to CT and then Spain . . . this is a boring time of the year in AZ.

Last edited by karenrn; 08-11-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #62  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, I could have done better, but ... I'm not going to beat myself up. Great job at breakfast and lunch and today - day 3 for Beck - the guideline was to eat sitting down, which is never an issue for me. No snacking, drank water, didn't get in all 13 floors of stairs but did 8 which isn't great but better than 2-3 like before.

Then, tonight, DH and I did a super quick turnaround after work to bring a table/chairs and large mirror to someone who could use it from my work. Since we were downtown, we went to eat and I asked DH if he wanted this other spot, other than our little pizza joint. Yes, he DID. Then I said WHY did I suggest that - it's too hard for me to eat well there. I make it too hard on myself. If the salads have 800-1200 calories, then I want french fries and whatever instead. SO I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and ate all of the chicken and half of the bun and nearly all of my fries - cooked to nearly brown at this place. THAT'S why I remember we don't go there - Anyway, that was that. I'll take the credits that I ate half my bun, got in the protein and not going to worry.

Yesterday was pick two diets, and I picked calorie counting and one I'm just now reading about - the Fast Metabolism Diet. It's not espousing calorie cutting, but rather eating certain things at certain times and we'll see. If it looks too flakey, then I'll skip that one. She's not a believer of calories in/calories out. At all. Which is different. The author is saying it's a grossly deceiving oversimplification of how the body uses energy and a malicious marketing tool used to advocate unhealthy and damaging foods. Potential energy. I want to like this but we'll see.

I'm off tomorrow, and ever so thankful for that. We're in a heat wave, as much of the country seems to be, and not going to be working hard outside, but have indoors projects I want to tackle.

Karen - I found a journal from an old trip when I went to Arizona's Painted Desert and Petrified Forest and was QUITE impressed with how much I loved it - early 20s then.

Bill - Thanks for the Alcatraz note - I might be the biggest well ... "fan"/interested person in Alcatraz that you'd ever meet. I loved the tours I've done there - at sunset so you get the spookiness of night before the launch back.

Lexxiss - I hope your mom is feeling okay - I always worry that one fall starts a decline but that's just worry me. I need to realize that my days have the same number of hours as yours do, even though I feel like you're going 36 hours a day!
Old 08-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #63  

Good evening coaches,

I just wanted to add one thing that I forgot to say this morning. My cousin, Colleen, who lives in CA and that I visit every summer was a park ranger at Alcatraz years ago. She worked for the park service for years. Her last stint was at Sequoia (that's where we seem to go every summer). Now she is a kindergarten teacher. I spoke to her this evening and today was her first day. It's always fun to go camping with her because she is such a wealth of knowledge about the trees, plants, wildlife, etc.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:46 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Cleopatra commits suicide (Egypt, 30 A.D.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - If was, indeed, a ginormous truck that delivered the toilet - complete with tail gate lift. Fortunately, it arrived at 8 pm instead of their predicted latest time of 10 pm. No neighbors complained. Now I've got work to do getting it ready for the plumber. Around here we pay some $130 per hour for a plumber whether he's soldering pipe or unpacking cardboard. And they're not very efficient playing about with cardboard. So that'll be my job.

Dinner was gazpacho, CREDIT moi. It was consumed inside since we're in a heat wave that makes the patio uncomfortable.

nationalparker – Eight floors of stairs is good exercise, Kudos. [LOL at discovering that you're an Alcatrazphile - who'd have thunk?]

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for waking up with no headache - a good start for the day. Well, not sure that Bad Moms is going on my Bucket List. Alcatraz Ranger to Kindergarten teacher - is that a step up?

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Vegas Mind-Set Trap
. . .
  • Think about your choice: to continue your cycle of vacation eating regret or to establish a new tradition that makes you proud.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 145
Old 08-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

I got sick of watching the “Michael Phelps Mini-Series” last night and went to the bedroom to read, then remembered I hadn’t posted. Here’s my rant: there are 42 events in the Summer Olympics and every night this week we’ve been served gymnastics and swimming, with about 5 minutes of beach volleyball. Boring!!!!
I threw away the unlucky lunch I made Tuesday and took to my classroom right before the crisis. I had put it in the refrigerator and saved it for Thursday, and I carefully packed it up again yesterday. Drove 37 miles---and couldn’t get in because they are waxing our hall! So I went shopping and ate a (different) healthy lunch at home later. In my defense the lunch did sit in the car for a while in the heat so it wasn’t too appealing. Today we have a planned meeting at school; not sure if we’ll be able to access our classrooms or not. Will take a fresh, healthy lunch as the meeting is at 11:30.
My challenge for today is getting ready for DD#2 & her friend to arrive for our long awaited river float. A bigger challenge is tonight we’re going out and it will be easy to over eat and over drink. (Calories wise, not like drunk wise,) While I drive to work I will think through the menu and my limits out in the beer garden in the sun with my family. I see ice water in my future
PT is going well and my heel has improved immensely. We are squeezing in a last camping trip Sun – Tues and I think some hiking will be possible…a good way to test my recovery.
Karen: my dream is to have the opposite career path – kindergarten teacher to park ranger
BBE: the motivation for the swimsuit ordeal was high—it was that or risk a wardrobe malfunction on the float tomorrow with my 10+ year old suit. Which was taken away in the trash can yesterday morning.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #66  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation hello

Hello Coaches

My trip to my cousin's cottage to pick up my father's ashes/urn and drop them off at the cemetery went well. It was a jam-packed two days driving up and back. Foodwise I indulged in everything and realized that *I* am DH's foodpusher. I am. I saw it and I didn't stop it. I don't want him to get thin without me it seems. I guess I don't think I can be thin, only he can. All sabotaging thoughts. All of them. I continue to pick myself up after falling and focus on going forward. Today has been a good day and my weight, while 271.6, is above 270, it is still hanging around that number, sure to fall when I start again. For this month I am maintaining at or around 270.

So, Coaches, my father's final place of rest may not be the cemetery after all. My cousin had a suggestion that seemed more right than to have him interred with the family he wanted nothing to do with. My father wanted to go back to the cottage. This is what he talked of, what he wrote about, what he dreamed of. Maybe we will take him there. In other family news, some reconciliation is happening between my older sisters which is just good news. To what degree it happens, who can say but a bit of communication will go a long way.

Also in the New department, DH gave me his blessing to pursue the Master's degree that would see me leave here for 2 years. Back at those times that all college kids return home. I am working toward applying to the MFA program, but they only take 3-4 MFA students a year so it's slim I'll get in. I'm going to try though. If I get accepted and I re-think my plans, I can always decline.

Oh time to go. The kiln awaits me to unpack it.

Bye for now.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

Started reading Beck Diet Solution again this week. Have made and read a new advantages response card updated from the one I made Oct 2014 when I started on the journey. I had decided on two diet plans at that time and am now considering transitioning to the second plan. The first program is SO rigid and I am really tired of feeling like a failure whenever I take a bite of anything that has flour/sugar in it (one of the strict requirements of my current food plan). I am thinking of trying to do carb-cycling but not sure if that is wise. So I pulled out the book and decided to start from Day 1 again and re-read and do the exercises (sabotaging thought cards) at a different level then I did when I first went through the book. I have fallen into old habits of looking in the refrigerator and grabbing something and eating standing up. So for this weekend I want to commit to NO standing and eating.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #68  
Enjoying la bella vita

Seemed busy all day but have little to show for it, except a DH who is ON BOARD with us trying a 28-day eating program for the first time ever. I always subscribed to the plan of something that is changing my eating habits for good, can eat anything and everything in moderation, but I'm noticing that moderation is not what I'm actually doing. Ice cream twice a week while I purport to want to lose weight, isn't cutting it. So I'm going to give a four-week plan a try and DH said he'll go in with me and he'll struggle with the no beer and no dairy... (he only started drinking a beer now and then and then a few nights a week he'll enjoy one with dinner, but now hearing NONE has him already missing them haha) ... I'll struggle with the no cheese (gasp) and no artificial sweeteners. Actually we'll both struggle with that.

Unfortunately with the limitations, I need to do the marketing with just this in mind and redo my listing and get our menu options ready for quick grabs of the breakfasts and lunches and snacks. And learn the portion sizes since they vary per day of the week. I'm excited to try to change my thinking from calories which has been embedded in my brain since I was in early 20s ... to types of foods and how they feed my body. BUT I'm picky and don't like this or that and don't want to set myself up to fail. I have to recognize that one messup doesn't mess the week!

Honestly, I'm really surprised DH is on board. If HE'D come to me with this, I'd have 101 questions, thoughts that it wouldn't work, resistance to no diet soda (!) ... maybe i need two !!'s on that. So credit to him for that.

Today is my Day 4 on Beck - and that's give myself credit. SO credit for solidly researching to the best of my ability this other diet (Fast Metabolism Diet), getting to the library with DH this evening to get the hardback copy and cookbook so we can both look through it and not just on my kindle ... credit for very little snacking today. Credit for buying raspberries and strawberries and cantaloupe this evening and winging dinner with rotisserie chicken and carrots in a rush. Kitchen is cleaned up and I'm trying to figure out how we'll make this food plan work next week. The snacks can be as easy as an apple, so that's good!

Bill - I'm also probably the biggest John Dillinger fan you'll run across. It bugs DH that I claim he wasn't as bad as the FBI made him out to be. Of course, he's from around here and I actually took my brother to see his grave. Alcatraz and John Dillinger. Hm. (I do like Marilyn Monroe, though, to balance it out with some "pretty".) haha

Millie - You have me a bit worried, though, if you're coming off a rigid plan due to frustration - that could be me in a few days. Yikes. Good to see you here again! Start with me on Beck - I'm only on Day 4!

OneByOne - Sounds like you have a good plan for your father's ashes - one that "fits". Kudos for looking into master's degree! Good luck! And major credit for recognizing your role as a food pusher. I've had to come to terms with that on certain days as well. Not pretty, but I do it. Mainly so I'm not the only one "straying" ... but I get all bent out of shape if DH does it!

as always, more manana. Movie is starting - DH found something to put on after 30 mins of hunting around...
Old 08-13-2016, 05:43 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Aztec capital falls to Cort้s (Tenochtitlแn, Mexico, 1521)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Asked my adult DS to help me move the new toilet upstairs. CREDIT moi for asking for help. I could have done it alone, but would have threatened the walls of the staircase. And possibly, I could have dropped it back down the stairs to shatter the porcelain. It only took a minute with two people.

Eating was OK. It's too hot to overeat. Dinner was cold pasta salad and deviled eggs eaten inside to avoid the heat. I slept with the fan on high. We only get a few hot days a year and we're there now.

onebyone – Congratulations for the long slow road to family reconciliation. May it continue. Hooray for the plan to pursue a Master's degree.

Nature Girl – LOL at the saga of the healthy lunch traveling along your interrupted journey. Yay for a healed heel.

nationalparker – Yay for a family diet plan - so much added chances of success. [I'll have to go research John Dillinger; just don't know much about him.]

millie56 - Kudos for "commit to NO standing and eating" - that standing bit is such a surprise that we all encounter. Restarting Beck is always a good idea.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#5: The Unreasonably Strict Eating Plan Trap
You make eating plans that are too difficult to follow.
Another common trap arises when you make a plan that is too restrictive. While your intentions may be good, you need to be realistic. Consider how likely it is that you will stick to your plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 145
Old 08-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #70  
Enjoying la bella vita

An early check-in for me this morning after a later check-in yesterday. A one-pound drop this morning so at 174. My mind was whirring last night when I'd wake up with HOW, exactly HOW, to follow a set plan with foods we have to figure out. That project will be this weekend's task - I said to DH I'll put the meals in excel for each of us - a few of his meals or snacks will be different and I want him to be able to grab and go in the mornings. Also will freeze some things that we're not to have (cheese! ack!) and that will remove temptation for me. Honestly, I'm feeling a sense of excitement along with fear/nerves. Our 28-day plan that is merely to really get metabolism cranked up, not a lifetime of this method, will fall while we're on vacation at my brother's in week three and then my birthday at the end. I said to DH - that will be a nice birthday present if I COULD lose a bit of weight and revamp my metabolism. And then I'd use a gift card to Victoria's Secret he gave me a year and a half ago. He gripes about that, validly. I hate holding onto gift cards but always imagine myself picking up something wonderful, not XL.

Storms moving through the area today, so a good day to delve into this and also finish my Agatha Christie book, hopefully. And we'll hit the market for needed items. No movie last night - I didn't want to watch a space documentary over reading and so we ended up watching nothing.

I sure hope I'm not logging in here all embarrassed that I only followed this four-week plan for a week - seriously. But if that's the case, I'll still keep on, keeping on. But hopes are high - but for me, getting rid of wheat, corn, soy, dairy, caffeine and sugar will be a major challenge to start.

Bill - I'm a big fan of Bryan Burroughs' book, "Public Enemies" - the actual book - I think the audiobook is way condensed since the book was pretty long. But it details the rise of the gangsters and the FBI in timeline sequence rather than a chapter on Dillinger, one on Bonnie and Clyde, one on the Karpis brothers, one on Machine Gun Kelly, etc. So you really get a sense of what was going on in the economy, country, automaking, etc. I've read it a few times since published and it took me a bit to get into it the first time, so if you're interested, push through! I just picked up Marilyn In The Flash from the library yesterday from the quick pickup shelf. Couldn't resist. DH is more interested in that than the diet book. Go figure.

Karen - Hope your weekend is going great! You seem to have such a diverse group of friends you hike with - that's awesome. I don't know ANYONE, honestly, here who would hike. One might but she'd have to take her dog and worry about it the whole time, others just want to meet for dinners, so I don't really do that. My circle is very small here as close friends have moved states away and funds/vacation time isn't there to visit them separately.

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-13-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #71  

Good morning coaches,

I guess I had better get a post on here before I just don't. Too many calories yesterday with happy hour out with the group. Well mainly, I didn't go to the gym so I had no extra calories to work with. I have no excuses except that I'm just not on plan very well these couple of days.

Dh was out washing his car early this morning and we had a little group of peach faced love birds come by for a visit. Boy do they make a racket. I got a video and a few photos as I stood outside the front door in my night gown. Luckily no one came by. Dh drives a very pretty shiny black car that looked like he had driven through a rain storm that was mud. He takes care of his things so well and now it is all shiny again. He takes care of his things so well that we usually have to drive my car so his won't get a ding in the parking lot. Luckily I don't care at all since mine is a small SUV that I drive on bumpy dirt roads to get to trailheads.

Nationalparker I'm very excited for you to get good results from your new food plan. The things you can't eat on that plan seem quite similar to the Daniel Plan and also the Whole 30, both of which I have looked at. As far as I'm concerned sometimes it takes being a little restrictive for awhile to reign back in the appetite, etc.

Bill I'm glad you got that toilet up the stairs with help. None of us needs to injure ourselves just because we won't ask for help here and there. Sometimes it's not the weight of things we lift, but the shape that make it really difficult.

Speaking of toilets, remember when we had the hardwood flooring replaced in the back hall because of a leak. We though it came from the air conditioner above on really humid days. Then when they took up the floor and it was so wet under the hardwood we thought it was something else. We had a leak detector firm come and they couldn't find anything. Then I had a plumber come to reseat the toilet, but he said, no need the toilet is fine. Anyway, floor is warped again. New leak firm found a small leak from the toilet that goes under the tile out to the hall. The floor will be torn out again, toilet reseated (is that what they call it) and hopefully this will be the end of that story.

More tomorrow, but thought I had better get a note in.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Ta-da! First week of high school English is in the bag.

Discoveries:
1. Classroom teaching is like riding a bicycle. The start with the kids was smooth and successful. I put out a few potential fires, made relationships with the kids, played lots of games and activities that forced them out of their shells, and set up respectful standards that will last all year. I can't imagine other teachers standing and lecturing on rules for an entire period but that is what they do. Crazy. The first two days are the most valuable because the kids are the most pliable.
2. My freshman class is 40% sophomores who failed last year. Wow. I am not use to grades being important. Middle school policy is everybody moves on no matter what. I guess sophomores are most in danger of dropping out for good. I chatted with a few, told them I've got their ticket to pass. Hop on the train. etc. . . They really believe deep down they're stupid. A HORRIBLE teacher last year made them feel that way. He teacher never looked up from the grammar book. Sad. Also, another girl came and told me to no longer call her Mary but ED. I said of course and let me touch base with family. Dad said she made the decision last summer. I offered support. Up here in the high School life is in session let me tell you.
3. Nevertheless . . . High schoolers are just like second graders. My 6 foot 4 (no kidding) sophomore tight end was cheerfully playing four corners and beach ball volleyball with the rest.
4. I'm exhausted. Typing this makes me think I need a nap

Food was spectacular because I didn't come up for air. Exercise fell by the wayside except for PT stuff. I'm up in Tahoe for a wedding so I will take a hike this morning.

I caught up with everyone's post and hopefully personals soon.

Nationalparker: I eliminated those exact foods for five weeks and it started me on a great weight loss journey. Good luck.

Last edited by maryann; 08-13-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:24 AM   #73  
persist

Exclamation Refocusing

Coaches

Today's market was cancelled last night via email based on the weather forecasts. Bad. Thunderstorms. Rain. It never showed until what would have been pack up time. Oh well.

I lounged most of the day. Neighbour gave me a plate of their first BBQ - l
all meat. I ate some and left some. DH did dishes accompanied by heavy sighing. I decided to skip tomorrow's market to get.a.days worth of serious decluttering done. DH is depressed and resigned to a less.than apartment that I feel he is ashamed of. I need to get back to this in a serious way. I have never completed my clean up. I make progress and sometimes lots of it but I fall back. He just watches me fail over and over and loses respect for me. I believe that to be true. Also applies to the weight loss. These are two areas I vow to change all the time yet never do. I have to change this. Not for him but for me and for myself. So difficult but so what? I'll keep trying until it gets done.

Just refocusing on the tasks ahead Coaches. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-14-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #74  
persist

Default Sunday. Where is everyone?

Coaches

I have made my extensive list re: declutter and clean up and I have a strategy in place as to how to proceed. After this post I will get to it.

Foodwise I am writing out a plan for the week. Tomorrow I will shop for it. My sister may be arriving here on Monday the 22nd for a week. I need to accomplish some.things before she shows up. I have a tight schedule until my art show in Ottawa where I need to be ready on the 8th of September to hang my pieces.

I can do what I need to do if I am focused and if I have a workable plan. For today I have this and I'm going to start. I'll check in later.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-14-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #75  
Enjoying la bella vita

Good morning! I'm aiming to do a morning and evening checkin today. Day 6 of Beck is find a coach and I have the best resource here - a thank you to everyone here. Embarrassingly, many of you have seen me through this gain of 15 pounds in the past two years! On a weight loss site! Oh well ...

Have continued the prep for this 28-day program - I'm just going to call it the FMD (Fast Metabolism Diet) ... anyway, got most of what we needed yesterday, but have a Trader Joe's run today. Cut up cantaloupe, separated out portions of mandarin oranges, cooked the steel cut oats; we'll do the meat later today. The smell of meat cooking isn't a pleasing smell to me at all. DH seems to love it, so he can handle that task. Our fridge is a smallish one and I'm having trouble fitting in the separated foods to have breakfast and lunches ready for two days. Even WITH clearing out what we are not to eat.

Scale dropped to 173.4 then up to 174, so will change my ticker to 174 and be happy about it. Down a WHOPPING two pounds since start of July. Absurd. I could take fake solace that it's not up, but ... guess it's apparent that my "treats" have become routine.

My brother told me about a Masterpiece Mystery show - Grantchester - so I've actually put the TV on in the morning to start watching it while i do the food prep and clutter clean up around here. So far, so good.

Bill - Hope you weren't up half the night renovating that bathroom!

OneByOne - I can feel your frustration and disappointment at the ongoing clutter and DH's reaction to it - GOOD LUCK with making major headway on your decluttering today. Don't get sidetracked and I'm sure by evening you'll be proud of what you've been able to achieve.
Closed Thread