Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Back on-plan today. I'm picking up where I left off the pink book and received the new book for later reading. I'm focusing on maintenance until 5/2 (which takes work for me.) Brought a nice fruit smoothie and leftover soup to work and plan to go walking after walk.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #197  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Got out for a hike with a group yesterday. It was a little long as they stopped to describe some geology and by the time we got back to the trailhead it was getting warm. With the black sling on and arm against my body my face was so red I looked like I was going to have a stroke. I had sunscreen on and it wasn't sun, just the heat. I must say it makes a difference not having the second arm to swing, but still good to get out and it was a nice group of people. Credit for the exercise. Food calories were a little higher than should be.

Today I am staying home and doing some chores that dh has been doing. I'm trying to get the ironing done, which feels like a work out. I have a heavy Rowenta iron which I love, but I am using both hands to lift it. I'm also going to get started on making the dog food and dh can help with the mixing part.

Spanky Gee a whole week of work treats, that's a lot to pass up. Looking forward to hearing what the stealth exercise is.

Gardenerjoy Oh boy another secret to learn about. I look forward to the reviews on the new book from those of you who received it.

BBE Oh peaches sound wonderful. The fruit and vegetable selection around my home decreased significantly when dh was doing the shopping, but now I'm back at it. Yesterday I picked up a couple of mangos which I love. Not quite ripe, but I'm looking forward to them.

Nationalparker Glad your event was a success. I am sure I used to suffer from "imposter syndrome" in graduate school and several times in my career where I was sure if they really knew my abilities I wouldn't have the job. I think it's really common to have some insecurities even when we're quite capable.

Violette R Sounds like you had a fabulous vacation. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

love2garden Yay for comfortable jeans! And yes not swinging that second arm or being able to use a trekking pole in it does make it more difficult. I keep the sling on at this point to be sure I don't try to break my fall with that arm if I should slip. Yesterday another gal slipped and I'm trying to lift her with my left arm. It was quite a calamity.

Maryann I hope your procedure goes well with good results and you can get back to normal soon.

Lexxiss Just want to be sure you know I think of you and hoping things smooth out. Good job on refusing more ribs, big time credit for that. I need to look back and check the name of the book you mentioned. Harley was 15 in February and spends more and more time sleeping. His vision is so poor now, that we really have to keep an eye on him. He has been the sweetest pup so I sure hope we both get to heaven.

Ani Have a fabulous time in Italy. It's been many years since I've gone and would love to go again. There are just so many places to go. Good for you for the weight you've lost. I need to continue to remember that the waffling and debating make it so much more difficult. I have really given myself too much leeway in the past few weeks. Luckily the scale hasn't gone up, but I know it will if I don't continue to be more careful.

Onebyone I love seeing my steps add up. I hope you get your fitbit going and that it's a great motivator. Looking forward to photos of your work.

Tomorrow I'll be walking with "Hiking Suzanne". She lives in a hilly neighborhood so that's good. I just hope I can get her to slow down a little. I always have trouble keeping up with her, but I really will now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Happy Earth Day to All!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #198  

Height: 5' 2"

Karen I spent some time with my dear friend who has broken arm/wrist and her skin is too weak to allow a cast. She wears a brace that is only removed for a bit of time to wash and move her fingers a bit, then it goes back on thanks to her husband's help. She is prone to falls and could never go hiking!!! Enjoy while you can.

Bill Not fair that this weather teases us so much. I was sweating in T shirt on Monday, yet chilly with fleece vest and jacket today. Refuse to stay in once the rain quit.

Welcome back Violette. Back to the "Must Do's" but you have great memories I'm sure.

Debbie I'm listening to your determination to take care of yourself. Agree to move that up in my life, too.

Gym time was good, but painful now. I'm glad I didn't decide not to go out in the cold rain. Aerobic plus strength training was needed, now done.

Food was good for the third straight day. Avoided the snack cabinet in TV room and begged DH not to bring home any more candy and cookies. We'll see. He want's me to lose weight but still 'forgets" and brings home things that cause me to battle myself. I shall not be sabotaged!!!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #199  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Back at work and realized ii reached for food about five times in an hour from stress. A wake up call but i didn't hang up on it...i partook. I. think i was on day 22and want to redo it tomorrow for a better result. Suspect I'm back to where i started a few weeks ago, but hope it comes off decently with more water and smart choices. If not, then I don't know if i am to the point of saying I'm ok with limiting for weeks only to have two days of some excess food, clearly not that much extra, but maybe 750 calories and good amount of walking, to result in a 3 pound gain. I'm not ok with that. We ate 2 meals each day, nit even three.

Ani have the trip of a lifetime. Soooo excited for you.

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-23-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: horrible typos on phone ...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:36 PM   #200  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation checking in

Coaches

I did get the fitbit going after receiving the replacement dongle in the mail on Monday. My steps during the gallery visit day were 10250. Today they were 4,000. My day was only active in the morning. Otherwise I zoned out. I did go to see if I could get most of my ceramic work from the kiln but the one that was unloaded only had two plates. They both looked great but then I saw a piece of the kiln shelf that was placed above my plate in the kiln dropped a small piece of shmutz onto it that go fired into the glaze causing that plate to look like it had a pinple. Sigh. I sanded it off to make it smooth but this meant the glaze got scratched up- you can feel it on the surface, not really see, but feel for sure and it meant there was a small area unglazed. So... it can't go in the sale. Of the 5 plates I made for the series, well actually 6 but my cat Caesar knocked one down and broke it before it made it into a kiln at all, so of 6 I have 2 that can be sold. One broke, two had a crack along the rim, and the last one with the shmutz. This is typical ceramic work. So long from beginning to end and several stages where the thing can be lost. Love it at every stage I tell people cause there's no guarantee it will come out.

Foodwise I ate light today as I had a teeth cleaning appt where i was chastised for not flossing well. I already knew that. My gums told me and I had to be exta long between appt due to insurance coveage. After the cleaning I had no appetite but was feeling light headed so I had a sandwich but then once I picked Dh up I wanted to eat and so I had two things of stuff and I really wanted to have zero things of stuff cause it's weigh in day tomorrow. This morning I saw 276. Last week I was 276. The week before 273. I'll drink some water before bed and hope for the best. I am ok with staying the same this week but I really need a loss the week after. Time to up my game.

Must go. Exhausted yet again.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #201  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Take Your Daughter to Work Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, despite facing a coffee table of snacks for several hours during the evening at a friend's house - I had nothing even when folks were raving about the special cheese. Lunch was the very last slice of ham from last Friday's dinner. That made just the right number of daily ham sandwiches in a row; I'm good until next Easter when I'll, again, have a week hit of ham sandwiches. I did miss having a thick slab of tomato atop; store tomatoes just don't cut it. The only accoutrement was thick, coarse, Trader Joe's mustard. I am salted.

Two walks, CREDIT moi, thoroughly enjoying knowing that it wouldn't get too cold to be outside. It was jacket weather both times: the morning walk just a windbreaker; the evening walk a spring jacket. At a micro-library that I passed, I picked up a travel guide to Chile and Easter Island. I didn't even know that Easter Island was on my Bucket List but now it is so I can use my neat guide.

onebyone – Kudos for 10250 steps - especially since that includes standing and staring at paintings. Thanks for reminding us of the reality of the many steps in the process of a fired piece - think I'll be more grateful for the finished pieces I see for sale.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Naturally, I think of nothing other than wondering about your secret.

spanky - Love the notion of "Stealth Exercises." Kudos for finding a way to avoid food offered as celebration.

nationalparker – Ouch for stress at work and for all those neurons that think food relieves it. "More water and smart choices" are a good start for getting back on track.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for some geology in the state that keeps lots of it visible. My hand still quivers thinking about the 1.8 billion year old rock that I touched in the Grand Canyon. (I've since touched a 4.8 billion year old rock - yes, older than the earth/solar system - but it was imported, not in situ.) Kudos for continuing your one-armed hiking.

love2garden - Mantra of the week, "I shall not be sabotaged!!!" Kudos for ignoring the rain to get to the gym.

Violette_R - That's rapid recovery from your cruise - Kudos.

p.a. - Ouch for a cold when winter should be a fading memory.

Readers -
Quote:
day 35 Get Ready to Weigh In

Consider carrying your weight-loss graph around with you to look at every so often to remind yourself of your progress. One dieter I worked with made a miniature version of her weight-loss graph on the back of a business card that she saw every time she opened her wallet. Looking at the graph made her think these positive thoughts to herself: Look what I've done! I love how the line on this graph keeps going down! I'm so proud of myself! It's totally worth everything I'm doing.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 236.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #202  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I was the official photographer for my brother's wedding. They didn't want to make too big a deal of it -- ten guests, all family, and no one else knew ahead of time. I'm attaching the photo that got the most likes on Facebook.

We had a nice, extremely short, service in a park followed by lunch in one of our favorite restaurants where we were the only diners (they're normally closed at lunch, so they could take a private party). The menu included pastrami-spiced celery root -- no meat involved, but it was amazing how much it tasted like pastrami! Perfect on top of a salad.

We're moving from a happy event to a scary one. DH's mom has blockage in her heart and they're putting in a shunt today. That's a catheterization procedure rather than open-heart surgery, but still scary. She lives about an hour a way. We'll head to the hospital after breakfast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaleShanWed-229.jpg (31.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-23-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #203  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday food wasn't so great. Not horrible, but unplanned eating. I am grateful to have so much more insight these days as to when things are headed downhill and very grateful to have the willingness to make the changes before it's totally out of control. Credit. I was triggered by the death of a young friend in Alaska (suicide) and still feel very sad today.
So….I am going to take things "One day at a time". Today I have a food plan and an exercise plan. I will read my cards. I will resist unplanned eating. Credit.

BBE, Lol "I am salted". Me, too. Continued Kudos for your persistence resulting in many continuous OP days!

onebyone, kudos for recognizing it's time to up your game. I am with you. Great you got your fitbit going again to monitor your steps.

nationalparker, yep, I answered the call, too. Get back on track is a great mantra!

love2garden, kudos for exercise and another good food day! It took my DH a long while to realize that offering to share his snacks at the TV wasn't helping me. He now partakes in silence.

karenrn, glad you got out even though the heat seemed a bit much. Kudos for tackling ironing. I can't imagine. The book is Wagging Tails in Heaven. Probably only interesting if you have a Christian background. I'm not finished...will let you know.

Violett R, love your new avatar! Kudos for getting right back on plan after your cruise!

p.a., thanks for stopping by! I hope you are feeling better soon!

spanky, yay for getting Dr. Beck's new book! Love your Advantage! Kudos for your Stealth Exercises!

gardenerjoy, looking forward to hearing from you! If I have a secret I will tell you since you are good at keeping them! LOL
Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #204  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Yesterday was another day On Plan. Today there is Olive Garden food being catered in at work and I dashed off without a complete lunch packed.

Fortunately I had a can of tuna stashed at work for emergencies so I'm feeling very smug about being ready for this sort of oversight. Still on track with my Secret Exercises.

I feel a Hungry Day coming on today, so trying to keep my Responses at the front of my mind and know I can go above 1200 cal if I need to. Today focusing on how much I want to see real progress on the scale Saturday morning!

Keep going!

Last edited by spanky; 04-24-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #205  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick post. Food pretty good yesterday, credit. Just got home from walking with Suzanne. It was a good pace, thank goodness. Thankfully she has been very busy with renovations on a house the will be moving in to, so hasn't been exercising as much either. We took the dog and took a nice walk around her hilly neighborhood.

I really need to go shopping and get a few new things. I only love to shop when I weight about 15 pounds less than I do now, but I haven't done enough to make that happen for a LONG time. I don't think I can put it off any longer. I'm having to decline social events cause I know I don't have something I would like to wear. That's pretty bad isn't it? I have lots of hiking clothes though, long pants, short pants, shirts, and 4 pair of great hiking shoes. I have MY priorities in order, but they don't line up so well with the priorities of some of my friends.

I don't have any plans for after lunch, so will get cleaned up and head for the mall. It's huge, Scottsdale Fashion Square, and I should be able to find something. Truth be told I would rather shop at REI, but I need a few things that are not quite that sporty. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes.

Love2garden I don't have a cast either. One break is at the top of my right arm and two more are in the ball above that. No way to put a cast on that area. It sure is getting better though.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #206  
Fighting the Good Fight

Er, can anyone direct me to the latest "Declutters's Thread" please?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #207  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

spanky, There's no current declutterers thread but I'm hauling out stuff today. Want to join me?
Old 04-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #208  
Fighting the Good Fight

Lexxiss, I'm going to try to go through all my clothes tonight after work. That's actually not a big bite to chew off since my clothes are not the problem around here (!), but I felt the need to start going through the whole house and picked this task for tonight.

Next up: DS summer clothes, all of which he's probably outgrown. Why do I keep them over the winter? I should send them to a kid in the Southern Hemisphere on the first day of Autumn here!

Parish Rummage Sale coming up next week, but I'll resort to bringing to Goodwill if I don't get it all done by then. Which I won't. Sigh.

Last edited by spanky; 04-23-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #209  

Height: 5' 2"

Must be in the air. I'm decluttering and discovering some riches I didn't know I had. Hope to find someone who needs what I found that is good!!!

DH and DD#2 have headed to mountains to fish and I have a very, very quiet house. Time is going faster than I realized, however, and some of my 4 projects must be finished now.

Karen How is your arm stabilized?

Like Spanky, I have my cards available. Sabotaging thoughts are creeping into the early afternoon.

Outside the sunny reasonably warm April day calls me to "come out an play." but I absolutely shall finish what I've started.

Debbie As we discussing trying to "train" husbands to think more like we do, here is my story. I hate to go shopping and procrastinate till really in trouble. However, DH loves to shop for a bargain. I made the mistake of telling him I'm going to buy a bath sheet, and he only thought towels. For 10 days he has bought and returned towels as I decided to hold out for the ones I want. Not blue, Not navy or striped or red!!!

Finally yesterday he actually listened as I described what I want, light sage green HUGE bath sheets to wrap up in as I get out of the shower. He brought them, and the wash cloths and hand towels!!! Celebration!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #210  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, will be changing my ticker up this weekend ... and in retrospect again, I'm pretty annoyed but not sure WHAT. Aside from the knowledge that I was on it for nearly three weeks, then two days off track but walked all over San Antonio ... and when I'm saying "off track", it wasn't going CRAZY. But for the uptick from that - it almost seems easier on my mind to just say what the heck and hover at 167-172 and c'est la vie. I know tomorrow I'll think otherwise. But right now, ehhh.

Dinner tonight - homemade quesadillas with refried vegetarian black beans, chicken, a sprinkling of corn and onions and light amount of cheese on a low carb tortilla scored on a sale ... Did well with not much in the house.

Think I need to journal and reset my thinking tonight ... or on the weekend. Frustrated and when that happens, I'll overeat and know it. Haven't been using hot tea as a "spacer" the past few days.

Thanks for letting me vent. So far have staved off DH's terrible cold. Their work is shut down tomorrow so that's good news for him. Will allow him to get add'l sleep.

Sorry for lack of personals this past week. Aiming to do a better job with a better attitude this weekend!
Closed Thread