Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Made a vat of turkey stock yesterday. Woke up remembering I hadn't frozen it as planned - it was still in the fridge. Then heard the wind! A cold front came in overnight and what good timing for soup weather - and the stock doesn't have to be thawed, lol.

Nationalparker - impressed by your meal choices while traveling! Great

Maryann - sorry about the bug. Hope you're feeling better!

love2garden & karen - regarding turkey - I've cooked two this month!
It's nice to have the meat in the freezer ready for a quick meal.

BBE - Overcoming Challenges, yes indeed, theme of the month, thank you. We had a vegie meal as well, nice balance to the heavy meals of late.

Silverbirch and Curley and Lexxis and 1x1 and everybody
Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Fell into some homemade cookies at a meeting last night - Ouch. One cookie was planned as evening snack; several was getting caught up chatting with friends and paying no attention. Otherwise, food was on plan for the day, CREDIT moi.

Exercise was supervising the gas company rep as he inspected the incoming gas line and gas meter. When his smell gauge touched the head of the meter, it issued a loud beep. I assumed that gas was leaking into my house. Nope, the beep was his cell phone; my house is fine.

maryann - It's good to accept a realistic "wounded but not dead" and move forward. Jealous of your neat visit to Yosemite.

nationalparker – Continued Kudos for passing on those caloric served meals. Ouch for getting hit by the reality of airline prices. Our papers advertise good prices with Icelandair.

Mountain Mamma - Yay for turkey stock ready to go.

love2garden - Yay for finding a new dentist that you like. It's a bit personal having someone loiter in your wide open mouth.

Readers -
Quote:
Week 5 Overcome Challenges
...How often do you eat for emotional
reasons
because you're upset or bored?
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 206.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
thanks to everyone for the sympathy, it means a lot!

Its probably the time of the year, i just feel tired, depressed, snappish and unmotivated to resist temptations. sometimes I wonder if i get mad/emotional just so i can justify overeating!!

I should try writing some Beck cards for dealing with my DD- that could help.
I will do personals when I am not so grumpy!!

Waving to all, enjoying reading your posts as usual!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #19  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I missed posting yesterday so I will do it early today.

I hiked the Gateway Loop again yesterday. It is a shorter hike, 90 minutes, but I find if I'm not motivated I still can easily get out the door and do that one, credit. Food was right at the line. I succumbed to a sweet roll at the grocery store. Thank goodness I got that exercise in to cover the calories. It looks like I lost the pound I gained over Thanksgiving, yea.

Some friends and I planned to hike in the Superstitions today, but plans have changed due to weather. It is about a 75 minute drive one way to the trailhead and rain is possible. It doesn't make sense to go that far in this weather when it happens so rarely. Instead we will do an 8 mile hike in the McDowells that only hiking Suzanne and I have done; it will be new for the other two. Credit already for the planned hike.

National parker I don't know how often you go to Europe, but the Euro is lower than I've seen it for years. I've only been a few times, but it seems food and lodging can often be less than here in the States and with the Euro at 1.23 that's not bad. Bill and I are trying to help you out.

Hello to everyone.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #20  

Someone please eat the last of that pie.

Weight up. No surprise post Thanksgiving, but 4 lbs, . Exercise back on plan this week but still having pie issues.

Extra vegetables were purchased for vegetarian child who visited but subsequently had many meals out with friends while home (go figure) and I was determined vegies would be used - and 2/3 have seen their way into healthful meals since. Credit credit credit - for the healthy meals AND for not wasting food AND because I was dead tired during one preparation but persevered.

BBE - So the beep that could have meant the house was gonna blow was really just the cell phone?! Good thing repairman doesn't use a siren as a ringtone. If one must eat cookies, they should be homemade!

Curley - hang in there. Do you have older children?

Karen - yay for the great hikes.

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 12-03-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Running out the door but confirming that I have a plan and intend to stick to it. Credit for knowing I was vulnerable and instead of making banana nut bread for dinner as planned ( thereby exposing myself to my nemesis uncooked dough) I stopped by the store and bought raisin bread.

More tomorrow but off to a rosary - a friend's mom past.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #22  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good day today...spent great time with brother and his wife, home cooked wonderful healthy meal tonight. And good other meals, so op day. To the cemetery with wreath and roses ...to find the massive sprinklers in that section. Before long, someone came by and asked if i wanted to visit in that area, and someone zipped right over to shut them down. Nice.

Thanks for the tips on the Europe plans! It's still on the table but the last flights the last few times were around a thousand each so I'm not going too much over that...unless it's to Italy. Oddly enough, Iceland is in the possible range, too... The photos look stunning. I want to go everywhere and do everything. Who knows...i want to take dh to the tetons camping, too, and by default a brief time in Yellowstone. The one person who isn't as enamored with that park bc if the massive number of tourists. But i know he'd love it all. So maybe that's moved up and extended or something...

Has anyone in our group been to Machu picchu?

Breakfast tomorrow with friends of my parents,lunch out with brother, and dinner at my parents favorite local Italian restaurant. Will work hard to make good choices and have the social aspect be the high point, not the food.
Sorry for errors. ..on the phone.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #23  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked twice, CREDIT moi, in slightly warmer chill - warm enough to require carrying an umbrella in my pocket. Evening events got compacted - in a nice way. As members, we got a backroom tour of the bird collection at one of our favorite museums. Saw three stuffed species of the Bird-of-Paradise which is on my list of must-see birds. The timing was perfect since I could make dinner from the snacks served and then walk to my second event right after. Walking home after dark never ceases to please.

Unfortunately, the "light refreshments" that usually include veggies and humus were only Christmas cookies. Ouch. I still made dinner, perhaps within calorie count, but consisting of flour, lard, and sugar calories. Ouch again.

maryann - Kudos for knowing that uncooked dough is your nemesis.

nationalparkerMachu Picchu is definitely on my Bucket List. Maybe that's the place to have our Beck Forum meet up.

Karen (karenrn) - It is rare to hear of an Arizona resident changing plans due to rain. Congrats on the loss of that Thanksgiving pound.

curlypudge - Beck cards to help dealing with teenage DD sounds smart. My take is to celebrate each day completed since it's one day closer to when the teen brain kicks in and that charming girl you knew as a ten year old re-emerges.

Mountain Mamma - Yay for eating veggies to remind yourself of your lovely vegetarian DD - wherever she is, LOL. Yep, Kudos for persevering when tired.

Readers -
Quote:
day 29 Resist Food Pushers

Many of the dieters I've counseled have told me they "had to eat" to avoid hurting someone's feelings, even thought they knew it meant straying from their diet. Bill, for example, told me that he felt he had to eat whatever his wife prepared for dinner. Allison told me she always ate a piece of whatever baked goods her coworkers brought to work. Melissa never refused the desserts her mother-in-law made. They all were certain that even a polite refusal of food would offend the other person.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 207.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #24  

Weight down half a lb due to the vagaries of sodium but happy nevertheless. Need a decent avatar. Wasted an embarrassing amount of time last month trying to afix outside graphic only to have it fail over & over. But Thanksgiving outside pic downloaded in a minute. Hmmm. Wishing it meant a visit by the AI fairies (or any kind of intelligence fairies) but original attempt was probably a bad graphic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Walking home after dark never ceases to please. Unfortunately, the "light refreshments" that usually include veggies and humus were only Christmas cookies. Ouch. I still made dinner, perhaps within calorie count, but consisting of flour, lard, and sugar calories. Ouch again.
BBE - Walking in the dark - you must live in a very safe neighborhood! Cookies for dinner - enough to make you crave some broccoli later.

maryann & nationalparker - seems both of you are hanging around cemeteries. Sorry to hear that.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 12-05-2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: AI fairy fixed HTML
Old 12-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #25  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy Oh Well.

Coaches

Hi. *credit* I stepped on my wii fit scale today. It informed me that's it's been 22 days since I last did that. And I am within my up/down range! Unbelievable. I am 276.5. otherwise, I am 277.3. been in this range for a few months now. I am grateful though. My weight is not rising, I believe, do to no longer eating sugar. Now, it didn't fall, but I will take homeostasis over a steady rise anyday/week/month/year.

So I am about ready to start contemplating long range plans/goals once more. My brain just shuts all that out between, oh, July and November. I'm behind the 8 ball with this as my prime re-start month is November but thank goodness my awfully busy Nov has passed. My mother is settled. My sister has come and gone. Taxes are done. My shows are almost done-last one this Saturday coming-everything has happened that I knew would happen so I can look ahead.

I have to say, I am feeling very sad right now. I pulled a book off my shelf that I have been saving for when I can pay the required attention to it. A 12 month workout regime for free weights/weights for women and I just took a real look and I can't do it. I know I can't and won't. I have always been under the illusion that I would someday be the girl who goes and works out at the gym and gets into phenomenal shape. I just don't think that will be me anymore. At least I can't see myself at the gym that I, now, must quit. So I'll quit it tomorrow and move on already. My plan is to attempt Bikram Yoga which will be very challenging. I need something totally new.

I got a call from the long term care home my mom is in today asking if I would pick up something for her sore toes and drop it off. I'm happy to do it, but I have to say, and I'll only say it here and to you guys, I am tired of having my mother and her needs front and center on my brain. And because I am tired I am slipping into feelings from my past, a past where my mother was non-existant. She did not care for me when I was little. My grandmother did and so I wonder how it came to be that of the four children she had, the one who is actively involved is me. Two opted out. One moved away. I stepped up. Oh well. You do whatever is the right thing to do in front of you everyday. That's what I believe and so tomorrow I will drop off the stuff for her sore toes.

I need to get back into my own life though Coaches. Resentment, exhaustion, anger, these fuel poor eating in my life. I cannot indulge them.

Bye for now.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
I'm feeling better today mentally. Sometimes you just need to sit awhile in your sadness/depression, feel it and know it won't last too long.

I'm getting back to resisting hunger between whenever I eat breakfast and noon. It feels good to feel your stomach growl and not give in!

Mountainmama- I have a younger son, 12- he is really awesome so there is a balance anyhow!
Bill-"that charming girl you knew as a ten year old re-emerges"- Sadly, this kid has been difficult since she was 3, so I'm pessimistic about that- but you're right, take each day as it comes, and in less than 4 years she'll be off at college!
Onebyone-wow, i am very impressed that you are taking this mom stuff on given your childhood situation. That shows a lot about your character, and ability to let go of stuff. I'm sorry you're going through these hard emotions, I can identify, and am sending hugs your way! the yoga sounds like a good idea, new can be really good.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #27  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

A very quick check in. Frustrating day with house projects and looking for some mirrors and a light fixture. Went to buy wine glasses, was charged the wrong amount and then ended up with 10 not 12 of the white, cause a box had 2 instead of 4. It will all be fixed and they are sending the 2 glasses, so only 2 trips to Crate and Barrel instead of 3. Did I ever tell you I hate shopping?

So far the food has been okay, but I will be going over a bit today. Also, we got the rain today so no hike, no credit.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, on wet sidewalks but the rain and light snow had stopped. The new trees planted in the neighborhood have attached watering bags. Residents are required to fill the bags to provide the slow soaking so helpful to young trees. The City Department of Whatever failed to attach the notices that it was the responsibility of whatever nearby homeowner felt called to save the tree. Only after contacting the city did we learn why they hadn't come back to fill the bags. "Oh, I forgot to put the notices on the tree," he noted, unembarrassed.

Food wasn't best - Ouch. One day with cookies tends to drift into another day of larger snacks than needed. As if my body immediately goes to the next level of expectations. Will watch things today.

onebyone – Celebrating "homeostasis" - since our bodies practice this 24/7 with temperature and other little things that it's nice not to bother about. Kudos for getting done a long list of items that were dragging that now allows "so I can look ahead."

Karen (karenrn) - It's so encouraging to me to have a kindred soul around, "Did I ever tell you I hate shopping?" (Except, of course, at Home Depot and my local hardware store, LOL.)

curlypudge - Love the audio image, "It feels good to feel your stomach growl and not give in!" Nice thought to wait out the difficult times.

Mountain Mamma - Yep, celebrate a pound down even if it's just the sodium adjusting. [DW reminded me that she also walks home in our neighborhood after dark. She walks with head down at a fast I-know-where-I'm-going clip.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 29 Resist Food Pushers

Do you find you have a similar problem? If so, you probably have two notions that get in the way: The first is that other people's desire to have you eat their food is more important than your desire to lose weight. The second is that it's wrong to stick up for yourself (at least where food is concerned), especially if it means disappointing someone else.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 207.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #29  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

I have been around, and focusing on healthy choices, just not finding enough time to work around slow internet. We traveled over to our pool home on Wed. just after we picked up the new pup at the vet. In addition to neuter, he had 18 teeth pulled. Web tells me he still has 24 left, assuming he had them all in the first place. lol. He's doing just great but much time is being spent acclimating him into his new routine. My calories the past two days have been over by just a bit and by tracking it's easy for me to see that it's because I'm not getting extra exercise. I have a plan to change that for today by doing some water aerobics when I get to the pool. Credit.

I wish I had a bit more time today-but I don't. I wish you all well.

onebyone, I empathize with your situation w/your mom. My mom wasn't the greatest with us kids, and like you I am here and the siblings are elsewhere. I just simply have to accept she is my mom and I am here and she needs care. That strategy is the only one I've found yet to keep me in the head space I need to keep myself on track with her situation. thinking of you always!

Need to take the pups out and head to the pool. Today I'm leaving the new guy at home (unrestricted) with the older guy in his kennel. Hoping we can leave this guy for an hour at a time. I won't know until I try.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #30  
Green Tomatoes

I'm struggling. NaNoWriMo (which I finished -- CREDIT!) disguised how down I was feeling. As soon it was over, I fell off the cliff. I've been doing some comfort eating, but, even worse, I find I'm unwilling to do much of anything to sustain a healthy lifestyle -- planning, washing lettuce, exercise beyond the walk that I do with DH.

Usually, my best solution to depression is to launch into a big overhaul of organizational systems. Even that was slow to work its magic, but I seem to be there now. If anyone else gets a kick out of project management schemes, check out Trello (https://trello.com/tour).

So, for today, I'll continue to work with Trello to improve my mood and I will wash lettuce.

Thanks for being here, coaches. Sometimes this feels like the safety net under the trapeze of life.
Closed Thread