Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #226  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Day 9/ goals=ARC's

Coaches

Good morning. I am way behind schedule but maybe not. It took me much longer to navigate my printer than I thought it should have,but since this is always the case, maybe I need to budget 1-2 hrs to get images that are the right ones for working with? I am bad with time estimation and with spatial estimates. 3D throws me and I guess if Time is the 4th dimension, that's a problem too.

Anyway, DH is making breakfast and once I eat I am off to carve a lino to make an edition of 12 prints for the Brooklyn Art Library print exchange. I am 1 of 500 print makers submitting prints by April 30th. The deal is: I send 12 prints, all the same (ie. an edition of 12). They keep 2 prints: one for their archives and one to exhibit, and the other 10 are sent individually to 10 other printmakers involved in the exchange. So, in time, I will get 10 prints coming to me from strangers! This is a classic print exchange format. And so our topic is "Let This Be A Sign". I have two ideas. I'll only know what I am doing once I sit down and focus. And since I left it so late in the day, I may get to carve my linos in the sun!

Better go. Back later today.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-27-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #227  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches, wishing you a wonderful Sunday!

Scale shows down a pound (which would be my 1/2 way point!) I'll believe it if it is still there tomorrow. Yes, I had cinnamon rolls - two. They were whole wheat/spelt/kamut with raisins, chia seed, and cinnamon. Not terribly sweet as I only put 1/4 c of sucanat rolled up in 2 lb of dough, then drizzled on a bit of maple syrup instead of any frosting. My calculations showed the rolls at just over 200 calories each. An indulgence, yes, but I make cinnamon rolls maybe once a year and my calorie level for the day will still be fine...just a much bigger breakfast than normal since I still had 30% protein.

I agree with Joy's evaluation of The Diet Fix. Lots of great stuff in there, but the 10-day thing HAS to be a marketing gimmick.

Dr. Yani acknowledges right in his checklists at the beginning and end of every "day" that if all the boxes are not checked - let yourself off the hook, don't feel bad, do the same day over. I know that he has helped me balance Beck. I do believe that eating healthfully requires that occasionally you ignore hunger(Beck), and it is a great skill to learn. Ignoring cravings and building that resistance muscle is probably even more important(Beck). But there is the reality of food being for comfort and for celebration (DF) and his point about the calorie levels of thoughtful indulgence is right. You aren't going to gain weight because of one celebration, but you might gain if you are unprepared or feel deprived and give up completely. But Beck makes it clearer that planning ahead is vital (DF does cover that you need to plan ahead).

I take away the reality that I need to have a eating and fitness plan that I personally can live with forever (DF), because the alternative is I will give up. Well, I can live with Beck's idea that sometimes I can wait for a meal...but use Dr. Yani's that when I eat enough calories and have a good balance of protein---I won't BE hungry.

Last edited by AZtricia; 04-27-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:23 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default School holidays over - traffic gets bad again

Coaches

The losing weight genie has gone - my weight bounced up 1 pound - not too horrible but on the cusp of the 180s. My lunch with my sister today probably did some damage as well. Emotionally as well as calorically. "What could I do here to be proud of" or "to make it better" (DF) - a whole pile of stuff which is difficult to pull out in the heat of an insane verbal interchange. I tend towards rational but am always surprised how I get ambushed by the old patterns. Oh well - no real damage was done to the relationship but not a lot that was helpful either.

I took my sister to an irresistible spot on the harbour with a brilliantly situated coffee shop and we walked to the garden developed by Brett Whiteley's wife Wendy after Brett died - my sister had been to the Whiteley gallery the day before and the walk to the garden is lovely (past Luna Park and the North Sydney baths - I have attached a photo of the view from the baths where I also swim). I then took her to the Italian section of town to shop the delis which are better than where she lives in regional NSW. I am happy to be back home alone tonight

Tomorrow I am going to fast and go to the gym after work. Not sure how that will go. My stats for the week are: 117% on activity (walking over the target of 7000 steps per day) and 100% on sleep score - in bed by 9.30 and time in bed 8 hours. Useful that all sorts of programs synch with Fitbit - this info comes from Dan's Plan. Today I walked 12000 and had 26 active minutes! DF today was Day 6 - Exercise - which I think I have sorted - my toothbrush level is walk the dogs and make 7000 steps at least over the day. I will add to that, that if I am at the desk I will get up and move for 5 mins every 25 mins

BillBE - Birding sounds like a great retirement activity. I didn't have a plan for today except to survive it. Your plan (and Beck's) for eating out sounds far more sensible - "Kudos for wise food choices when bad ones were available"

Nationalparker - And in this hemisphere I put away the summer clothes and got out the only marginally warmer winter stuff (which is also getting a bit large!). Kudos for making your menus for the week and for staying sane with food portions.

Gardenerjoy - enjoyed your thoughtful and reflective post - and loved the wedding outfit! That scarf is something else. I liked my FitBit one before I killed it in the washing machine. Good = easy to tuck in bra; counted flights of stairs which made me climb stairs to be competitive. Bad = had to put in wrist strap at night, could leave in pocket and put in washing machine! The FB Flex - Good = at least always stays on your wrist and you can shower in it; don't need to change it at night. Bad = not that attractive on the wrist but don't care; doesn't measure flights of stairs. The FB Force solves the last problem but the recharge port is causing dermatitis until they fix it.

Tricia (in AZ) - Congrats on half way! That's awsome. What a masterful summary of the relationship between Beck and Freedhoff - I totally agree with it all! I do like Freedhoff's emphasis on a diet and exercise regimen which is adaptable and able to be lived with forever - which is not punitive but recognises that one needs to find the minimal level at which one can survive but lose weight. I really like that food is not just about fuel (DF) - but that it has a social role related to celebration, culture, and ritual (like my family does the Christmas meal thing). I move to Day 7 tomorrow - not even sure yet what it is yet so had better go and read it as I am compartmentalising to deal with overwork issues
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olympic_pool2.jpg (46.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 04-28-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #229  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - International Astronomy Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Good hiking day, CREDIT moi, in the Massachusetts Berkshires with a group that DW likes that chases down wild flowers. My excuse for joining was to savor the stretch of the Appalachian Trail that we covered. We saw a Bald Eagle being chased by a pair of Crows - high drama since the eagle's talons would quickly terminate a crow who is depending on his superior aerobatic skills to stay alive.

It was easy to eat on plan, CREDIT moi, having lunch sitting on a log in the forest since the only food to eat was what I had packed. I was offered almonds but didn't take any. I was pleased that I didn't eat the granola bar that I'd brought along for a snack - but then gobbled it on the drive home when the munchies struck.

onebyone – Enjoyed seeing the prints from the 2013 Brooklyn Print Exchange - can't wait to see your submission in the 2014 group. Love the thought that my difficulties with time management is just a spatial problem in the fourth dimension - that doesn't sound as bad, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for sporting an outrageous scarf - thanks for the picture so we'll have an image of your DH as well. Yep, Double Kudos for navigating two wedding events per your plan. (MS Word spell check wanted me to change 'crow who' to 'crow that' - is it OK that I write about a crow more alive than a stone?)

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Ouch for the reality of relatives who help us bring up all the emotions from childhood. Kudos for "no real damage was done." And Kudos for notable stats for the week.

nationalparker – I'm impressed that facing two cupcakes, "we each ate part of ours" - impressed and Kudos worthy to leave a partial cupcake. Yay for the body fitting better in the clothes.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Kudos for selling cinnamon buns that contained more goodness than sugar. Clear vision this, "I need to have a eating and fitness plan that I personally can live with forever."

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating

Next do the following:
Respond to sabotaging thoughts if you eat something you shouldn't. If you think, Why did I eat that? I didn't really even want it . . . I'm an idiot, counter it in a helpful way, such as, Okay, I ate something I hadn't planned . . . really good that I wrote it down.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 141.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #230  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

An impromptu overnight to the mountains led to great quality time with the boys but not so great dinner. I feel I am slipping out of maintenance. I really don't want this to happen. I believe I can eat in a healthy manner with the WW plan but I know I won't lose the excess weight quickly especially if I start exercising again. I have decided to put short term panic on the back burner. Even If I don't lose the extra 4 pounds quickly, I will benefit long term.
Credit for food planned. Credit for a planned walk which will make three straight days of exercise. Credit for remembering to allow myself to have an empty stomach.

Gosford Girl: huge credit for investing in gym stuff. I treat myself to new outfits periodically, new shoes when necessary and splurge on special classes at times. It is a lot cheaper than the cost of medicine ( I rationalize to myself.)

Projectjudi: Welcome. I follow the Weight Watchers plan as well. I am just getting back into it after earning lifetime membership awhile back. I am focusing on the fruits and veggies and allowing myself to grieve processed foods.

nationalparker and AZtricia: Huge kudos for the weightloss. It is thrilling to watch you both go down the scale.

gardenerjoy: Thanks for reminding me that I have proof that eating healthy makes me happier. I forget when I am trying to convince myself to binge. This is not about vanity. It is about quality of life.

onebyone: The exchange is very interesting. It would be great to see your interpretation of "Let this be the sign."

BBE: Your bald eagle reminded me of my honeymoon in Alaska- a rare sight for native Californians.

Last edited by maryann; 04-28-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #231  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Made it through the weekend of being alone with my own pantry during the days. I didn't have a plan, other than "stay in control" and that worked. Scale was at 163.4 this morning. I made asian lettuce wraps for dinner and doubled the grated carrot the recipe called for, so bumped a little more veggie in there. I wonder if my LACK of focusing on food and lack of planning might have been what helped me with smaller meals and no snacking the past few weeks. I notice that today at work, I'm almost falling into the "lunch was puny ... I should have a little bit more" line of thinking. Which, of course, brings forth Maryann's frustrating discovery of how much less food we actually need as we age ... That, combined with Beck's "hunger is not an emergency" are my two thoughts for this week.

Thinking about getting away with DH for a day to just reconnect - we'll see how the week shapes up.

Dinner will be an easy prep tonight - leftover homemade lasagna and salad. Both of us working a long day today, so it'll be heat and eat. Success will be one reasonable serving and not skimping too much and letting going lighter get mental.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #232  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Monday,

Miraculously OP on Sunday even with lunch in an Italian restaurant and the FIL launching an unexpected and venomous personal attack at the outset in front of our 7 yr old. So I have never done this before in our entire marriage but-- I let fly and gave no quarter. He actually ended up apologizing.

Still managed to eat just 1/4 of the "personal size" pizza as we struggled through the rest of the outing. Just an awful day.

Came home and had a Rocky style workout to get the energy moved. Yuk.

Here at "half-way" I looked over my food journal since March 1st and realized that nearly every day I had "budgeted" a good 10% of my daily calories for candy or chips. Re-thinking this and decided to Change One Thing--my sugar intake--this week.

Welcome Projectjudi!

Best to all.

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 04-28-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #233  

S/C/G: 404/306/170ish

Height: 5'7"

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.
Just got back from the post office and got my book! Have just done a quick skim as it's 10:45. From what I see so far I think I will be a bit of a pain with questions.
I see there are lots of spots in the book to write things. Do use the book or buy something to write in? Any suggestions of what supplies I could use to simplify things. Are the cards you make up like recipe card size? What has helped you?
Keep in mind that I am not too computer savvy and don't have programs like word or excel so will be doing all the work manually.
Am excited to get started and get the supplies I need.
Look forward to get to know you all better.
Have a great night!
Judi
Old 04-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #234  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Arrrg! Just clicked on the wrong thing and lost my whole post.

It has been a fine but high calorie day. Plenty of exercise. Gotta go get kiddos into bed, tomorrow is a busy day w/ dyslexia evaluation for littlest. I'll try again on personals tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:46 AM   #235  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Another day, another eclipse

Coaches

I have rearranged today slightly. I will do gym tomorrow and as today is a Fast day on 5:2 I don't think that sits well with D7 on DF which is "Indulge". In fact I am not sure that doing the 5:2 diet as well as DF won't cause some sort of fatal cognitive dissonance. Anyway I am in a holding pattern and will decide after I have read D7 (Indulge) & D8 (Eating Out) which I will be doing tomorrow. I also moved gym to tomorrow as I have work deadlines that were moved from last week to Friday this week so I will clear the decks today and do gym on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday this week because I can (I really like going in on Sunday which I usually can't do but this week it works)

Credits
I have stuck to my fast plan so far today - but I am pretty hungry (I am doing really well!). I am distracting myself by posting here (credit me) before I have some chicken soup for dinner. My steps are in the right range to make 7000 at least. I have looked at my A&R cards. I have posted to my coaches. My weight is stable at around 190 and hasn't gone up further.

BillBE - the "Massachusett's Berkshires" and the "Appalachian Trail" sound very exotic over here.

Maryann - Credit for "three straight days of exercise" - that has to feel good. Accepting hunger is a skill - I am working on it now

Nationalparker - Credit for including sneaky vegetables. Hope you get away

6crowsgold - Credit for drawing the line and defending yourself. It is so hard to do so you did well. Sugar sure is sneaky. Huge credit for staying on plan for food and exercise given your day

Judi (projectjudi) - Yay for getting your book. I can see you are keen to get started. I tend to use technology but I have some paper based methods. I did write in my book in pencil so I could go back in the future and change things. It is useful to have a little book to plan meals in each day. It is useful to have 3x5 inch index cards for different helpful lists like advantages and responses (A&R). Beck gives clear guidelines for what would be useful supplies. But these are just guidelines. Maybe at first just an exercise book might be useful to record information. I used a page a day diary at first to record meals and weight before I moved to electronic. Plus I used a little notebook to carry A&R cards. Nice to see you are getting into it.

Tricia (in AZ) - Glad your day went well. Very annoying when you lose your post in one of the miriad ways it is possible
Old 04-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #236  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - New Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard walking, CREDIT moi, bundled as if it were February. I'm a wimp when it's chilly after it's been warm. A greater exercise happened after dinner when I helped DW cut three foot sections from a roll of chicken wire to make cages to go around her plantings. These are required because the local rabbits are ferocious - they eat anything green. My right hand did the snipping with wire cutters; it got a good workout, LOL.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no challenges. I did lust after DW's dish of nuts and dried cherries that she always has with her cup of tea. I usually ignore that, but yesterday my hand kept wishing to reach over and grab one (actually wanted to grab a handful). What stopped me wasn't my superior Beck strategies, but knowing that DW gets testy when I take from her allocation when I'm perfectly welcome to serve myself whatever portion I wish from the container. Saved by marital dynamics, LOL.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Special Kudos for feeling hungry and posting rather than eating. Yay for the good feeling of stable weight.

maryann - Yay for quality time - especially the impromptu sort. Kudos for allowing yourself "to have an empty stomach" - so great to experience that it isn't an emergency.

nationalparker – LOL at the image of "alone with my own pantry." Interesting observation that your super busy time if Florida was less focused on food including eating less.

Tricia (AZtricia) - I wish you well with the dyslexia evaluation today. Ouch for the universe consuming a post; BTDT and HATE it.

6crowsgold - Ouch for the awful FIL explosion in front of your 7 year old. Kudos for finding your way through that without using food as a crutch.

Judi (projectjudi) - I am constitutionally unable to write in a book; so I've never written in my Beck books - even the workbook. I used Excel and MS Word, but actual 3x5 index cards appeal to me for the satisfying feel of flipping through them and letting my mind focus on exactly one thought at a time. Do ask lots of questions. It helps us all to revisit the basics.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating

At the end of the day, look at how you marked up your food plan. Give yourself credit for everything you did well. Did you eat anything you hadn't planned? If so, get into problem-solving mode and figure out what you need to do in the future to eliminate this king of eating. For example, if you get too hungry between meals, perhaps you need to plan heartier meals or to add in a snack. If you eat out of boredom, schedule your time differently. If you need help, call your diet coach.

Follow this sequence every day, for a long time to come.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 141.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #237  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default fast hello

Coaches

A very full day ahead so I can't stay long.

Foodwise, I need to be careful tonight when I have accomplished all my tasks and want to "relax" and "have a reward". I'll need to plan for that. Oh, I will have some of my watermelon. Ok. That works.

I am not sure if I will be home in time to make dinner so I need to be mindful of my choices.

I am completing my print submissions today and taking down the potters' guild library display. I may also be picking up prints for the potters' sale (this weekend). AND I may alos be discussing what the heck we are doing for 8min on local tv on May 1st! Yikes. Next week I am back to "normal"... I'll keep reminding myself of that.

And for those who are interested or just curious, I've attached a jpg of my print submission for the 2014 Brooklyn Art Library Print Exchange. The theme was "Let This Be a Sign". It's a 5" x 7" (paper size) linoleum relief carving printed on my small press with a hint of coloured pencil. The notation "A/P" on the bottom edge means "artist proof" meaning this is the first oen that the artist has deemed to be the standard for the series of prints and the prints must meet the look of this one. I did an edition of 12 prints for this exchange= 12 all about the same. A challenge indeed.

Better go. Have a great day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frothcafe5x7.jpg (36.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #238  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello Coaches,
I have been flagging the last two days, not building a streak at all. I don’t know what changed. But today my behaviors were what I wanted. And throughout I’ve been solid on my exercise routines. It really helps me that I don’t conceptualize my exercise and diet efforts as being related to each other. I broke down and bought The Diet Fix since all the cool kids are reading it. It doesn’t immediately resonate for me as well as the Beck book did, but I am trying to give it a chance. Exercise today was fast walking for 5k instead of running. I don’t like to run two days in a run on account of my knees. Also, I enjoy running a few times a week and would not enjoy running every day, so I’m trying not to spoil it for myself.

BBE: Saved by marital dynamics. That’s pretty funny. Along with blaming your hand. My three year old used to do this too: if it was something she wasn’t supposed to do/touch, she would just use my hand or a dolls hand to accomplish her goal. Maybe if you use your wife’s hand to get the nuts? Probably not.

Cheryl: Fatal cognitive dissonance. I am wondering this too about Beck and DF even though I’ve only read the first little bit of DF. So far it doesn’t seem very Beck-ish.

Hi, Tricia, glad to hear it’s going well for you. Good luck with your busy day tomorrow. And yay for lots of exercise.

ProjectJudi: Welcome! I don’t like writing in books, so I printed out PDFs from the internet for most of the exercises and wrote on those. I’m afraid I won’t be much help otherwise because I went the high tech route.

6crowsgold: I’m sorry your FIL was a pill especially in front of your kid. I guess “pill” is probably too weak a word. Credit for not using it as an excuse to overeat. I also don’t like it when my weight veers around and a big loss for me almost always means a gain later or sometimes before. I wish it would just be orderly.

Hi, nationalparker, sounds like it’s going well for you. I also think sometimes that not focusing helps me too.

Maryann: Maybe maintenance isn’t linear in the same way that losing isn’t? So you’re not slipping out of maintenance, it’s just a little up period? Congrats on the exercise – makes you feel good. Also, thanks for the reminder that it is truly not about vanity.

Sweet dreams, friends.

Last edited by flnu; 04-29-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #239  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

It seems like it's Thursday, rather than Tuesday today - not sure what time warp my brain is in, but I think I'm looking forward to another weekend already. DH is on his last workday today for a few, and I deemed it pizza night, since I've been without for weeks now. He offered to pick one up at a local spot that is thin crust, non-greasy and just plain cheese. Bonus!

Stayed on track last night but now food seems so much more in my mind than the past few weeks. I have to pick up The Diet Fix at the library as it's on hold, but there's a part of me thinking, just let it go for right now and stick with the "eating less" plan that's worked here lately. Less focus and stress, keeping in mind the "hunger is not an emergency" line from Beck.

Interesting to read in the news today about the marginal performances of a number of the fitness devices worn on wrists. I wanted one initially for the "neat factor", but the pricetag made my decision for me, when I have a perfectly good pedometer in my drawer. Maybe I just need less analyzing and recording and more doing.

Will pop back in with personals if able to later, but 6CrowsGold - kudos to you for speaking your mind, but so sorry to hear about the incident. I know you've probably been rehashing it over and over, but feel good that you spoke up.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #240  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Tuesday...

Still OP today on Fast Day. Going to try to do workout #2 for the week tonight.

Not rehashing the FIL scene. It's not out of character and we can't "fix" what he objects to, which is actually about my son. I am sorry my son had to leave his chair and sit on my chair the rest of the meal because the whole thing made him so insecure. Expecting the next "scene" on Mother's Day...maybe my push-back will change it!

Now looking for ways to use olive oil and vegetables to replace those sugar calories; I have some a awesome olive oil on order from Italy--yum!
Closed Thread