Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Thursday.

Sicker, weird symptoms not drug related. Slogging it this week and dizzy enough I don't care if I eat or not, so OP. Um, credit?

Keep swimming.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #92  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello all. It's been a good day so far. I'm keeping fingers crossed that the next few days are okay for my dad; that the chemo after-effects don't hammer him tomorrow. Skipped breakfast with my folks/their friends while running around to find the place I needed to pick up oxygen for him. Despite having lived here years ago, I couldn't find it even with GPS and calling them for directions (routed to call center elsewhere) finally another direction program worked. Thank goodness for some inventions that help us hugely directionally challenged people.

Have been able to get work done today and will work into the evening and try to get in a full day, even if not the traditional hours.

Again, I struggle with the skipped meal mentality I often employ and keep telling myself i don't need to catch up on calories Planning meals that are enticing to them, hopefully, but not ingredients I eat (ham, beef, pork) so need to come up with something that works for me to have separately as well or I'll keep thinking I deserve more. Mind games - argh.

6CrowsGold - Be careful; hopefully this will pass quickly and if not, I hope you're able to get it checked out.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Quick checkin for my Friday weigh in accountability: up 1.5 lbs to 169.5. Could have stayed OP but I didn't. I'm on vacation until next Thursday so I don't know when I can check in again. I hope all is well for all of you.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #94  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches,

Just returned from taking pup to the park. It gives me joy to see him so energetic. Running in circles, playing with kiddos, tongue hanging in a smile, he adores the grass (which we don't have in our yard). I was glad for a walk after dinner as I felt over full. Have not done that in a long time. Cooked tacos tonight and made my shells the Romain lettuce. Next time I'll have less even if it fits OP. I still feel very full.

nationalparker Glad to hear your dad is dealing well with chemo so far. Sorry your sis is still causing drama. Kudos for making good food choices. I'm glad you were able to find the equipment you needed.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for doing your gym session even though you were tired. Hope you enjoy your new book.

BillBlueEyes Thanks for the reminder to not compare. I was watching all the joggers on the treadmills yesterday and my not yet aerobic pace did seem slow even though it was an improvement for me. Kudos for your veggie day. Thanks for today's Beck note, I really need to plan breakfast tomorrow before I go to bed!

6crowsgold Oh my, that is bad if you don't even feel hungry. Hope you feel MUCH better tomorrow! Make sure to take care of yourself.

flnu Wishing you a great vacation week and a better OP for the rest of it.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #95  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post tgif. sort of.

Well I didn't get to the ceramic room afterall. I stayed in again with this cold. I felt good to go for about an hour then it passed. Headaches and tickly throat were the hallmarks of my common cold. I may have been a bit hot too. I didn't check. I will be out tomorrow as I have some duties to do but I think I'll be OK for a limited day. If not I just come home. I'll do what I can and really try not to overdo it.

Off to bed now. Food not great today. Being sick really throws me off.

Have a good night everyone.

National parker: when I'm stressed or just can't sleep I listen to podcasts in bed with headphones on. Usually I fall right asleep to them. I like BBC documentaries and a show called Witness. I'll also listen to the German Deutsch Welle and their program called Inside Europe. Super interesting stories you never hear over here. If you don't like current affairs there are old time radio shows! Love them. Gunsmoke is fabulous. It's way more than you think it was but my all time favorite show is a sci fi one called X-1 (x minus one). Fabulous writing but with your 50's ending. Some are spooky, some are funny, but they are all smart. I have only one I can't listen to: Perigi's Dolls. It just creeps me out! And that's what I do when I'm restless in bed.I listen to stuff and know that by lying there my body is recharging. It also distracts me from the "why aren't I sleeping" thoughts that only serve to keep me awake.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:06 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default TGIF night

Coaches

I sent an email to my PT - will see how he reacts to my deciding not to do floor work! Worked at desk at home and went to acupuncture in the middle. The acupuncture guy has taken me on as a project I think - not sure if it will work but it is interesting to go there. It is going to rain (drizzle) for the next week. It is insanely humid. Today is fast day and I am REALLY hungry. I have prepared dinner but haven't cooked it yet - waiting with great anticipation

Well wishes to all who are sick or under the weather - sorry you are feeling off colour and hopefully it passes soon.

BillBE - LOL at feeling comfortable because you can "out-perform" a pregnant woman. It is difficult not to compare isn't it. Even with one's former self and capabilities. I love your response to onebyone - "every human is stuck with that bummer of looking in the mirror and seeing our bodies age". Ain't it a fact and I found that reality comforting

Gardenerjoy - I hope I cope with the maths when I read the book! I would like to give it a go

Tricia - It is all very confusing - whether one is talking about total protein grams or the proportion of calories that are protein (which is supposed to be about 33%). Credit for adapting dinner to suit your needs. It is indeed great to see the joy of the dogs when they can run free

6crowsgold - I hope you are thinking about seeing the doctor? You seem to have a virus or middle ear issue but the doctor can hopefully sort it out

Nationalparker - glad you are settling in. After about 2 or 3 days the chemo hits and one is tired - but it improves before the next round so I hope your dad picks up in a few days. Credit for surviving the chores you needed to do. Hope your food gets sorted out

flnu - enjoy your vacation - see you when you return

Onebyone - Rest up and take care of yourself. Hope you improve soon

Credits:
  • Ate on plan today - Yes
  • Planned food for tomorrow - fast day
  • I logged food as I ate it - yes
  • Weighed myself and logged it - yes - same
  • Did planned exercises - Only 6500 steps plus 15 active minutes
  • I didn't eat standing up - today 95% except at 2 grapes at sink
  • I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
  • Listened to motivation recording - not yet
  • Made time for diet and exercise - Gym Saturday
Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #97  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Percy Lavon Julian's 115th Birthday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Caught DW just absorbing the sun in between futzing in the yard, "Making a little Vitamin D." The day was that pleasant. My walk included the library to pick up a book about city planning for a course I'm taking on climate change. Cities are a good place to start making changes. Today's the day to increment the counters in my signature, CREDIT moi. I've added back my weight under my avatar and will update it monthly when I increment my signature so I can be back to holding myself accountable.

Eating was on plan for the day until an early evening event got off track. I'd had a very light dinner and planned to finish dinner from the refreshments table at the in-home concert. It was the standard eat-standing-up-while-chatting kind of event. I had more than made sense. Ouch. Was back on track as soon as I got home. Looking back on it, the food wasn't unusual - all selections from Whole Foods attractively presented. The room had vast ceilings - a converted factory - that created interesting options for wall decoration. A fancy mirror was taller than 10 feet, the kind you'd expect to find in a theater. It was a fun evening.

onebyone – This cold business is spreading on this thread - Ouch for all the symptoms of misery.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for, one more time, wrestling the tension between "hunger is not an emergency" and the more Intuitive Eating response to hunger. I, too, long for the day when my 'hunger' comes only from signals from my gut to serve me rather than from emotions to lead me astray.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yay for rain, Ouch for humid. I wish the rain would more evenly distribute itself about the globe. May your fast day come to an end taking the hunger with it.

nationalparker – Yay for GPS mapping software to help us get from here to there with confidence. Kudos for staying clear enough that you're being that helpful and still got in a day's work at you day job. Hope the chemo response goes well with your dad.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Fun to be reminded that, because there are so few calories in broccoli, its protein is a large portion. Romaine Lettuce is just the best substitute for bread and tacos. Yay for a happy puppy.

flnu - Happy Vacation - hope you're doing something new and fun.

6crowsgold - Ouch for feeling sicker. But absolutely, Yes, Kudos for not eating anyway. Hope this passes soon.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?
Does the idea of planning seem unfair, punitive, or too regimented? I can tell you from experience that there just isn't another way. You're right in a certain sense that it is unfair to have to plan. After all, many people who aren't dieting don't have to plan like this. They can stand in front of the refrigerator and think, What do I feel like eating tonight? People who want to lose weight, however, just can't have that luxury. Even if you can make good choices now, the time will come (in a few days or weeks) when allowing yourself to make spontaneous decisions will lead to gaining weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 138.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Friday--Up and at it again! Feeling much better. Today is a 500 calorie fast with Weigh-In on Saturday to spur me on.

No exercise this week because of the dizzy thing, but at least OP.

To all: Thanks for the kind words. Working full time and having a 7yr all but preclude visits to the doctor, but I think it's sorting itself out now.

onebyone: I have the same faulty math when I'm sick where sick = chips for dinner. What is that???
Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #99  
Green Tomatoes

Day 7 of The Diet Fix is Indulge! Well, this should be fun.

He makes an interesting distinction between primary and secondary binge eaters. Secondary binge eaters struggle only at particular times of the day while primary binge eaters can binge at any time of the day. According to Freedhoff, secondary binge eaters respond remarkably well to planned eating while primary binge eaters sometimes need some extra help from psychology. I was definitely a secondary binge eater (afternoons) and this was true for me: "With regular meals and snacks ensuring enough calories and enough protein, suddenly, almost magically, the drive to binge disappears, or at the very least markedly dissipates."

Of course, I already got that magic from Beck. But that helps explain why Beck worked for me when nothing else did. And may explain why my evangelism of Beck isn't always that effective -- not everyone I meet is a binge eater (he says only 30% of those seeking help with weight loss are binge eaters) and, those that are, aren't always secondary binge eaters.

His indulgence philosophy is to do it thoughtfully. I think his approach would be excellent when encountering an unexpected indulgence, but I really don't feel deprived following Beck's method of planning it ahead of time and dealing with most unexpected indulgences with "I can plan to have this tomorrow."

In other news, I ate breakfast this morning standing up. DH wanted to tell me all about the new Michael Lewis book that he started reading this morning. I paid attention to my food as well as the conversation and I'm pledging, here, to not make a habit of that!

WI: +0.25kg, Exercise: +50 485/1500 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

6crowsgold: do you live in an area with allergens? My doctor says that allergies are systemic, so they can have all kinds of symptoms. My worst symptom is malaise -- which pretty much means I just don't feel good. Another couple of weeks and the worst of the allergens for the season should be done for me until late July and August when the mold spores spike. I need to figure out a way to live at a breezy beach in March and in the mountains in August to reduce my symptoms!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #100  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another gorgeous weather day here, so that makes things seem cheerier. Dad is so frustrated with the side effects of the strong pain meds (mainly severe constipation despite using diff products) that he went w/o pain meds last night and we had a small encounter over it. I let slide the irritation he voiced when I questioned that and just kept silent. This morning, before he even said good morning, he said he did a stupid thing last night by doing that. I just said, well, let's keep looking at ways to lessen this side effect. Today is not as good, but we did get him out to the base for a haircut. I still like to see the gate guards salute my father. It tears at my heartstrings a bit because now he looks so worn.

Yesterday food was OP and did very well. I'm proud of that because I am a stress eater extraordinaire. Stress and joy. Which covers a lot...got on their scale this morning, which reads differently from ours, and just want to be down a bit on this one by the time I leave. I will hit the market later today and pick up some food that works well within my meal plan.

Will get out and do some yardwork on the weekend here. It's not blazing hot yet at all, so good timing.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Caoches.

Big event at work successful but Oh! am I wiped from worry, planning and implementation. The big news is I didn't celebrate its finish with food. I know mentally this is huge but I feel empty and sad to not have my celebration partner with me. Oh Well. I will go to sleep and hopeful FEEL my achievement tomorrow.

OP for Day 11. Wow! and a new short hair cut. I haven't had my hair short since I was 20. Lots of bad memories of bad cuts and powerless over learning how to be a girl. I always wanted a stylish "doo." I made a breakthrough a couple of days ago. I told myself I was fifty, could pay for a good cut and go into the salon to get it done once a week. I love it. Three cheers for taking care of myself and refusing to be bound to the fears of the past.

onebyone: No monocles yet. My students are very low income so they don't have the very hottest trends. Let's see, today was spring pictures. The girls wore asymetrical summer skirts or strange "poodle skirts" that were cut mini. The rebel boys are still trying to sag with the pants. I wonder when that will finally run its course. Its been twenty years now

AZTricia: Pea protein is at the "Whole Foods" type store we have here or you can buy it at Vitacost online. I get most of my supplements and stuff from them.

Ceejay: regarding knee pain. I don't know anything more frustrating than trying to exercise and being stopped by injuries. So unfair!

nationalparker: I am not the best one to ask about sleep. The things that work best are exercising during the day, a hot bath before going to sleep and I absolutely can't have caffeine in the afternoon. But still I struggle - doc says that is what the beginning of menopause is. She gave me a prescription of Lunesta which I am suppose to take if I have gone two nights with bad sleep and need to put in a full day the next day. I am no thrilled with having to take it but it works. I am VERY carefully to only use it sparingly. I have heard some bad stories about dependency.

BBE: I think the equivalent to Pollock is Faulkner's Sound and the Fury - stream of consciousness narration through the mind of a cognitively disabled man. Of course, no one will agree with me that it is is not a masterpiece. Give me Virginia Woolf anyday.

gardenerjoy: regarding math. I am on a percentage, counting type of plan. MyFitPal does everything for me - circle graphs with percentages. Don't know if that will help.

GosfordGirl: The best exercise is the one you will do.

Last edited by maryann; 04-11-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #102  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Quick check-in to report an OP day with a pound lost
I'm tired and still have a bunch of chores before bed...so g'nite all!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #103  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Finally I felt OK enough and I got out of the house.

I did really well and made what I needed to for tomorrow. It's exciting having plans.

A very interesting opportunity came via email today. It's a mentorship program in my area. They take 14 students and they must be serious about their work and want to set goals and see their work stretch in new directions. I'm there. That's my plan for the next two years. My only concern is the program is given via a ceramic organization and the bulk of my serious work is in printmaking but the mentor is very interdisciplinary as am I so it may not be as big a deal. I have until the end of August to apply. By then I should have new work that I can use for my submission showing a clay/print crossover. It's an exciting unexpected thing to be pondering. I just love that.

Food wise back at it tomorrow=day 5. I kind of lost it these past 3 or 4 days. I should care more but I don't. I'm just ready to move ahead on all fronts again. My sister will be visiting again.I sure hope she holds off until May sometime. I need time to settle into a real routine again.

Need to get some sleep now. Have a great night everyone.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:42 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Saturday

Hi Coaches

A cool rainy day (much preferred to a hot, sunny day) today. I foolishly agreed to hand out "how to vote" cards at the local Mayoral elections for a candidate from my political party (leftist) in the right wing heartland on north shore in Sydney. I was outnumbered, out postered and just generally out. Plus it was rainy and windy and cold. I ended up in agony as I hadn't realised my joints really do hurt more when it is cold. Anyway I did my 3 hours and then went off to find warmth and food. Which unfortunately meant I had a sausage roll - not intrinsically bad but all that wheat in the pastry didn't sit well with my digestion. And it wasn't on plan - mainly because I didn't really have one - first mistake of course. I shopped, bought some meat and now I can plan around it. I was trying to finish work today so I could have a break day on Sunday (tomorrow) but it won't happen. But Easter break is coming!

BillBE - Percy Lavon Julian [Medical Professional, Academic, Civil Rights Activist, Chemist, Scientist (1899–1975)] sounds like an interesting sort of guy - especially for an African American grandson of former slaves and with no high school education. Thanks for that. Plus a new word "futzing" usually accompanied by "around".

6crowsgold - glad you are feeling a lot better. Credit for getting back on plan

Gardenerjoy - thanks for the outline of D7 of the book - I will have to think about whether I am a binge eater. I think I am probably a secondary binge eater -when I am hungry I go over the top. Credit for pledging not to eat standing up.

Nationalparker - credit for on-plan eating under these circumstances - you are maintaining control

Maryann - great hairdo - and credit for 11 days OP

Tricia - fabulous - 1 pound down!

Onebyone - have a good day 5 tomorrow

Credits:
  • Ate on plan today - No - didn't have a plan but I do have a plan for dinner
  • Planned food for tomorrow - not finished yet
  • I logged food as I ate it - yes
  • Weighed myself and logged it - yes - down 1 pound
  • Did planned exercises - barely 5000 steps but lots of standing and no moving. Didn't get to gym as planned
  • I didn't eat standing up - today 95%
  • I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
  • Listened to motivation recording - once so far
  • Made time for diet and exercise - missed gym - will see if I get time tomorrow
Old 04-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #105  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Russian Cosmonaut Day, Yuri Gagarin, 1962

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to a presentation to learn the distinction between Philosophical Libertarianism and Consequential Libertarianism. Straightened out my head that a Libertarian doesn't deny that some problems are terrible, he just believes that any action by government will make it worse. It was helpful to unravel why I was confused that Libertarians seemed to come down on both classical Liberal and Conservative sides of different issues.

I did get the chance to make a wise food choice for lunch. I had a window for lunch so chose a place I really wanted to try. Had a BBQ seitan sandwich on pita bread. CREDIT moi for not also choosing the house specialty of Marjoram flavored French fries. The evening at dancing allowed me to ignore a table of snacks - all factory made. So CREDIT moi for a day on plan in the face of opportunities to do otherwise.

onebyone – It's exciting that you see yourself as open to see your work stretch in new directions. Yay for getting out of the house.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the distinction between primary and secondary binge eaters. The word 'binge' is parked outside of useful for me since I use it only for eating the equivalent of a whole gallon of ice cream. If I rethought that I might, perhaps, get a useful word back.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for being a political activist - especially when it's "rainy and windy and cold" and in an area where the crowd is on the other side. Yep, not having a plan is the easiest way to be off it. (Although I've tried to argue with myself that when I don't have a plan, by definition I can't be off it, but that notion wanders into justification.)

maryann - Kudos for celebrating without using food. [Count me as a believer that Faulkner's Sound and the Fury is a masterpiece. I've happily read it at least three times and still marvel. By-the-by, I've reported to Tech Support that some young thing has hi-jacked your Avatar.]

nationalparker – Sounds like you're finding your way helping your dad through those choices where neither one is really 'right.' Super Kudos for an on plan day despite the stress.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Goodbye pound. Kudos for an on plan day.

6crowsgold - Kudos for on plan despite the dizzy thing. Hope this clears up soon.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?
So, if you think, I don't have to do this part of the program, Acknowledge that the reality is probably, I don't want to do this part of the program. For just one week, commit to writing down everything you're going to eat the next day. At the end of the week, decide whether to commit to another week. Committing to one week at a time is easier than saying you're going to do this for life - especially since you probably won't need to! Some people find that recording what they eat for a few weeks or months is enough. Can't commit to a full week? Then at leat commit to today and tomorrow!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 138.
Closed Thread