Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning Coaches
I slept on it and I feel a little bit better. I didn't help that I was p.o.'d at my DH.
Did you all see the flash of lightening about an hour ago?? It must have been mostly above my house. I did my daily weight and I've broken the 200# barrier! 199.4 I didn't feel like eating yesterday so I ate too few calories so likely it will go back above 200 but I'm not going to see it because I am not going to weigh for a few days. So There!

MaryAnn I hope your trip to the beach was great.
Bill-Thanks for the advice. I will be checking out that chapter.
Lexxis-Thanks for the explanation. I love outdoor hotsprings in the winter, esp. when it's lightly snowing.
Beth
thanks again for your encouragement. Is 30DS the thirty day shred by Jillian Michaels? DD and I are going to check it out on youtube after school. How do you like it? I read some reviews and it will probably kill me.
NationalParker Don't forget your good advice you shared about taking the wrong exit and just continueing the wrong direction. turn around now and stick to your plan. Don't throw ALL your fine china on the floor!
Dave I thought the game improved after the lights came on. SF woke up! We were here at home so no extra food to tempt.

It's off to work now.
Everyone have a good day!
Julia

Last edited by Julia150; 02-04-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #32  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Julia and nationalparker: I am sending you strength and the courage to continue moving forward on your journey!!! I often get afraid and discouraged on my weight loss journey, but that is when I read everything I can get my hands on to regain my focus. So good of both of you to come here when feeling discouraged. CREDIT for reaching out for help.

Julia: Your post just appeared that you have officially entered ONEderland!!!!! That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you! I hope and pray that I am close behind, but I still have about 5 pounds to go..... (sigh)..... I am afraid I will never get there, but I am concentrating on doing the right stuff and trusting that the scale will eventually follow. I need to get and stay more consistent with my entire program (planning, food, and exercise). I will get there ~ one day at a time! It is about progress and not perfection, and I have definitely made progress in the past month.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #33  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I went missing for way too long. An unintentional side effect to the practice "write before internet." It's been great for my writing! Not so great for the things I really want to do on the internet. Babies and bathwater come to mind.

I'm going to try "a few important things on the internet, then write" and hope that my new writing habit can sustain that. It will take me a few days to get back in the swing of things here, I guess, but I'm committed to making it happen.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Wedding weekend was good although not very relaxing. I had to tend to some family stuff--acting mature and responsible. I am glad I did it and I am glad I am done with it. I exercised everyday and made good food choices for the most part but just ate too much. Scale reflects it this morning but we will see how much the weight sticks tomorrow. Food planned for the day along with yoga. Teaching music in DS class.

I read a great quote the other day attributed to Buddhism but can't verify: "The problem is you think you have time." That really sums up why I am facing these addictions that keep me out of the moment, un-present. I am nearly fifties years into my "100 years" (I am counting on) and don't want to miss another second.

Julia150: Super terrific being in the one-sies. Read Day 36 in Beck "Believe it." It talks about the feelings you are having.
BBE: I am glad the Niner's made a game of it. I do not pout over any calls--That is the way the game goes. My great consolation is never having to hear from Ray Lewis again.

Last edited by maryann; 02-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Hey Coaches and Becksters:

Well the Carnival gods are giving us two days rest and then it's back to hedonism. In my case, our first major parade won't occur until Thursday night, which DW is dancing in. My job is to somehow keep my four-year-old son corralled and not lose my nine-year-old daughter. I have a plan, which if I use the 3fc system would be OPP (on parade plan), but I prefer not to for karmic reasons. In our town, OPP stands for Orleans Parish Prison, and I definitely don't want any of that.

I was OP today and I felt satisfied with my choices. I find more and more that because I'm eating slower and mindfully, I feel full at the end of meals and not tempted to eat more or desserts. Credit moi and Beck.

Until that time...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #36  

Quick stop in. Cool thing happened this morning. When I was dressed and ready to go out the door, DD told me spontaineously that she can see a difference in my size. She said she didn't know how to say it without sounding mean but my stomach and hips look smaller. First person to notice and say something! I'm 15.2 pounds lower than the first part of November.
GardenerjoyYours was one of the first stories I read when I came to 3FC. I was and am inspired to read your story. I am looking forward to getting to know you.
IBelieveInMe2- thank you for your encouragement. I don't know what triggered my sudden feeling but I'm sure it stems from my "failures" at maintaining weight loss. And there are many, many of these failures. You are so right-stick with your plan and with lowered intake and more exercise you can't help but succeed. I'm waiting here on the other side of 200 cheering for you to join me.
Maryann Thank you for the reference from Dr. Beck and the support. I completely identify with your not living in the moment. I've missed so many things because of waiting to be thinner. Kudos for getting right back to your plan. It sounds like a busy weekend and maybe with some stress (?) involved.
See you tomorrow.
Julia

Last edited by Julia150; 02-04-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #37  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Took off to see what ocean ducks were out. I'll count it as exercise since it was so cold with strong winds that I must have shivered the equivalent of a treadmill ride. CREDIT moi for having enough sense to wear extra layers, starting with a wool base layer. It's still hard for me to believe that I put wool next to the skin, but that's the design and it works. Boy does it ever contribute to warmth. We saw many Harlequins - ocean ducks with wild colors from which the name. We paused for lunch in the car on a pier with a clear view. A HUGE Great Black-backed Gull sat on a rock in front of us watching us eat. There was no doubt that it knew we were eating and that any loss of vigilance meant that our sandwich would be his.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, except for the minor excursion when a member of our group passed around thin mints; I had one - Ouch but glad to have my thin mint hit since they're on my list of foods that I need every now and then to avoid feeling deprived.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for wrestling with balance; may you find what you seek. I do like the part of me that can hyper-focus even though that means the exclusion of some desirable sane stuff.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I've never used 'upvalley' in a sentence; I suppose I need to get me to a place with real mountains. Kudos for leaving that cake at work.

maryann - Yay for "mature and responsible" even at a cost. When I'm in charge of the planet, all family events will be sheer joy. [LOL at "never having to hear from Ray Lewis again."]

BigchiefDavid – OPP sounds good to me. There's a news headline that I skipped this morning stating that Beyoncé didn't cause the Superdome blackout. I can't imagine anything it could say that would make me happier than just reading that someone felt called upon to state that. I assume that your DS didn't cause it either, LOL.

IBelieveInMe2 – Seems like a mindful path, "I am concentrating on doing the right stuff" - it does seem easier when we do our part and just let our body do its part.

JuliaOnederland (Julia150) – I did see a flash and wondered what it was about. "So There!" indeed. Kudos for accepting that the scale reading is real. And Kudos for raising a DD both sensitive enough and kind enough to tell her mom she's visibly smaller.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 4
You Fool Yourself About How Much You Eat

Thin people generally have a pretty good gauge of how much they eat. They don't overeat very often, and when they do, they naturally eat less at their next meal or two to compensate for it.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 36.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #38  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

My plan took a turn yesterday. I ended up being "really" hungry at work yesterday evidenced the feeling of hunger and several other signs...a little clumsiness and general brain disorganization. I ate half a western omelette (waitress mistake) and pitched the rest. It did make me feel better. Got right back OP and ate light last night...too tired. I've weighed this morning and will make sure I put enough stuff in my morning smoothie since it's designed to get me through the day.

BBE, shivering and being generally cold is not my first choice for exercise. lol Remembering when I used to enjoy all the sea ducks from my front window in Alaska. I've always marveled at how they endure those cold seas.

Julia, kudos for practicing skills taking you into onederland!

gardenerjoy, glad to hear from you...admit that I looked elsewhere for you the other day and found you (of course) on the Feb. exercise thread!

MaryAnn, thx for the quote....I had to think about it for a minute.

BigChiefDavid, yay for recognizing that eating slowly and mindfully helps you to feel full and resist foods that aren't "top choice".

IBelieveinMe2, kudos for recognizing how much progress you've made in the last month despite the sabotaging thought surrounding your next 5 pound goal.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #39  
Green Tomatoes

Back again for a quick post. I have been maintaining good habits and maintaining my weight in the bottom half of my maintenance range recently, even while I was gone. I've been playing the Game On Diet (book by Krista Vernoff and Az Ferguson) with some book blogger friends. I may keep up that food plan even after the game finishes this week. I didn't like it at first but it's been working remarkably well for me. It's five small meals each consisting of a healthy carb or fruit, a lean protein, and a healthy fat, at least two meals must have vegetables. That's hard enough for me to plan that I've created a selection of meals to choose from and I rarely deviate because I can't come up with a legal deviation fast enough to bother.

Lexxiss: Thanks for checking up on me! Good job managing your food plan's turn yesterday and working on a strategy for today.

BillBlueEyes: We used to do some snowshoeing in the winter and I was surprised that wool was actually quite a comfort in the winter. Apparently it's bad reputation is due to a combination of low quality wools and that some people are allergic to it.

Julia150: I'm looking forward to getting to know you, too! Glad to have you on board.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #40  

Hi buddies/coaches,
Stopping by for a quick check in at lunch. Well, I may never get past daily weighing. My plan to avoid the scale for a few days lasted, oh, less than 24 hours. 199.6 was the answer. So maybe, just maybe, I can believe it wasn't a fluke/temporary.
Beth My DD and I did the first level of the 30DS. I did pretty low impact. I don't care what she says that she has 400# people doing jumping jacks. I'd rather have functioning knees. I definitely got a work out but I'm not at all sore today so I'm thinking I need to work harder. What day are you on? What level?
BillBE That sounds very cold. Good for you to brave the weather so see some nature. And good job staying OP.
Dave Good job staying OP. You have had many temptations thrown in your path lately!
Back to work
julia
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #41  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default greetings *long*

Coaches

It feels like I've been underground like the groundhog so far this month. Head down and nose to the grindstone I have seen through a volunteer project to get the guild's tea room, which I voluntarily manage, painted. Two colours: silver leaf white on top with pewter mug gray on all the wainscotting and the door frames, doors and window frames. Funny, after the two coats of white I felt let down. It was the weirdest thing as an overwhelming feeling washed over me that I was simply returning the room to what it used to be. Weird as well as a long time member commented that the colours I chose were the original ones they saw in there.

oooOOOOooooOOOOOOOooooo

I had about 8 volunteers to help me over the 3 days of painting and then I had a day before that getting the supplies and a day after attempting to return stuff into its place but I gave up after I accidentally chipped the corner of the protective glass on one of the tables. Now I have to get that replaced. That was the last straw. I went home and left it unfinished. Tomorrow I will return to that space with the support of 3 others to complete the job. It's also my turn to clean the pottery studio. I am responsible for 1/2 the list only. t shoudl be about an hour of work.

How This Affected My Food

Well I wish I knew how it directly affected my thinking and reacting to food but it put me into one of the worst places I have been with food in some time. To see myself taking care of Others, and positing several more ambitious, complicated, interesting plans for the guild while I can't get my own life and my own priorities sorted out is.... demoralizing.It was so obvious that I am not my own priority and my inability to drop any more weight ie. stick to my foodplan reflects this. Also, this week after washing my jeans they are tight in the calf and in the waist. Had I not donated my larger sized jeans I'd be wearing them so *credit* for doing that as I am nudged to deal with this weight gain before I have 25+ lbs back on.

I'm going to attend a local support group tonight. It's been a year since I did that and, coincidentally (don't think so) my weightloss stopped about a month after I stopped going. I need more than WW and checking in here, though without you guys, I would surely be 300+lbs, and as I head back down the scale I also know you will still be here for me. Thank you.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-05-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches/friends... I am checking in. I got on the scale today and yesterday (credit) & I am up 3 pounds since last Wednesday. I looked at my journal and it seems like I am up and down with the same five pounds for the past several months. I've been between 215 - 220. It's not really much progress, only that I haven't gained alot in that period of time.

Yesterday I went to see an orthopedic back doctor (he's the doc for the hockey team) He's a DO & he gave me an OMT (orthopedic maniupulation therapy??)... boy, it sure did make my back feel finally better.

Today I met my new primary care doctor. I like her very well. I am pleased.

I promised the recipe for Sloppy Giuseppe's- I am posting it in the recipe section.

I'll try and catch up tonight with what everyone is doing.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-05-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #43  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Default Tuesday night

Hi all!

Food has been OP today except that I forgot to check how many ounces of steak I was going to eat, so I put 5 oz on my plate, rather than the 4 oz I'd put down in my plan. It still stayed within calories (and it was good).

Confession: I had never grilled a steak before. I did it on the George Foreman grill. I've always been afraid of steaks, but it was easy. I wouldn't have done it this time except DH asked for steak--and he never asks for a specific meal. Now we'll be doing it often.

I had planned for, and enjoyed, a single serving of ice cream last night. I purchased it serving size so I wouldnt be tempted. I enjoyed it--but not as much as I expected to. As a "savor every bite" kind of thing, it wasn't oodles better than the fresh raspberries I had for dinner tonight--it might not even have been as good! That's a good thing to have learned. Cutting (processed) sweets makes me crave them less, although I have fresh fruit at all three meals, and sometimes with my snack.

Exercise has been mostly OP, too. I got up to do Day 5, Level 1 of the 30DS and that was good. I usually walk 16 minutes with a co-worker twice a day--and we only did part of that in the morning lap because my knee was bothering me. I'm trying to decide how to proceed with the 30DS because sore knees are not an acceptable option, but I don't want to break the 'get up before work and exercise' plan.

I've been doing a pretty good job of entering my food into MFP in advance--easier on weekdays than weekends, but I'm going to keep at it. I won't be able to pre-plan Thursday lunch or any of Fri/Sat/Sun since we'll be traveling. At least we'll be doing a lot of walking, and I am looking forward to spending a few hours at the Chicago Art Institute!

gardenerjoy: I see your quote on Tazzy's sig: It's easier to stay on plan than it is to get back on plan. It ought to be on one of my response cards!

BillBE: What a lovely walk--ocean ducks and gulls during lunch. A thin mint is necessary to get through Girl Scout cookie season.

nationalparker: I'm sending lots of good vibes--and a belief that you can do this!

Lexiss: Credit for tossing half the omelette-eating what you needed and then stopping before eating it all.

Julia150: I'm so excited for you at being in the 1xx range! It is the 30 Day Shred. I'm going to do a light version the next two days and then rest from it in Chicago and see how my knees are doing. I'm also going to post in the exercise forum here for suggestions for a less strenuous-on-the-knees direction. It's great that DD noticed the size reduction, even if tact wasn't her strong point.

onebyone: Credit for recognizing that a support group is a good idea for you. Do you think you need to re-read the priority days? Credit for recognizing the priority issue-solutions can't come until after recognition.

IBelieveInMe2: You are close behind--you'll be in ONEderland soon! DH pointed out to me that I was trying to do everything at once (he also pointed out I was out of shape and overweight, but he was trying to be supportive about why 30DS was probably hurting my knees). You have a lot you're trying to focus on--planning, food, and exercise. That's just a lot all at once--and the best way to GOOD is through BEGUN.

maryann: Credit for good food choices while away--and exercising while away--those are hard. I hope none of the weight sticks!

BigchiefDavid: Deefinite credit for feeling full after eating slowly and mindfully. I'm finding the same thing. YAY for Beck.

Beverlyjoy: I'm so glad the back doctor was able to help you--back pain can be so all-consuming.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Today is the day that never ends. Worked straight through lunch, came straight home to make dinner, then piano, now state project and i am beat. Quick check in because I am listening to son decide what "I" in the ABC Book on Vermont will be. I say insect (honeybee and monarch state bug and butterfly). He says "I" could be "information" Who will win, who will win?

OP until I tried to cure super tired with some chocolate. Ate almost no dinner for compensation. Not ideal but "Oh well."
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Hey Coaches and Becksters:

Quick checkin...Stayed OP today, but I've been slacking on the exercise and I'm planning on swimming tomorrow. I read the "Keep Up with Exercise" last night and I think I need some response cards for motivation and inspiration. It's ironic that previously exercise was the part of healthier me that was always the easiest to maintain. Of course, nowadays I'm not using food to reward the exercise (lightbulb suddenly turns on). Eureka!

Julia150 It's no fluke: you're doing it!

Lexxis I'm hoping your energy returns.
Closed Thread