Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #136  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did gym in the morning, CREDIT moi, unusual time slot for me. The different crowd made it feel like a different gym. Took an emergency walk in evening twilight, CREDIT moi, to score bananas since we were out. It's funny, but we are never out of bananas; both DW and I seriously want a banana for breakfast and, when the tomatoes aren't arriving, I need one for my peanut butter sandwich at lunch. Also walked (CREDIT moi) to the library to return all books. I'd rapidly consumed the popular thriller Gone Girl because I was intrigued by its hype. I discovered that I'm addicted to a page-turner, but am then annoyed if I don't care about the characters or the plot after it's over. It was like a video game - grabbed all my attention while playing, but nothing remained. Perhaps authors are chasing the ADD generation with multiple plot twists instead of just one at the end to explain the whole affair.

Extra snacking - Ouch. I'm still fighting tension about getting ready for our two week vacation starting Friday.

onebyone"OVERWHELMED" is a challenge; would seem that whittling it down to a doable list - as you're known to be able to do - is required to divide and conquer. [Your brownie dream is fantastic. Just a small slice to square up the situation; then another; then another...]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Sending supportive thoughts as you witness your friend in hospice care. Amazing that he gave you Monty Python.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for "struggling but, not running away."

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yep, dentist visits raise the stress. Kudos for "I did not eat over it" when crazy busy.

soonfit - One of the great gifts from Dr. Beck's books is the notion that it's more important to learn the strategies of healthy eating than it is to start the diet. My take is that once you're feeling comfortable with the basics, then you'll feel ready to start your eating plan - even on a crazy schedule. You're wise to proceed slowly on a lifetime change.

spanky - Congrats on the success of your talk with Kudos for resisting you own blueberry pie. Wishing you well in chasing down the unexpected "adverse health event."

Jaye (Jaye68) - LOL at a 2.5 year old exercise coach - what a bundle of energy. Kudos for stopping at half a bagel.

Carol (Iwanttowin) - Such an interesting question, what's the source of fear of hunger for those of us who've never had any concern for regular food. Neat that you discovered that true hunger isn't just around the corner. Wishing you luck on organizing your mojo for starting Stage 2.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan
Experiments to Vary the Think Thin Eating Plan

experiment 4
Trade Think Thin Initial Eating Plan foods with equal-calorie foods.
If you would like to occasionally include a favorite less-healthful food in place of a Think Thin Eating Plan food, you will need to do some experiments. Be sure to keep the number of calories the same within each swap, but - be forewarned - the portion size you are allowed will probably shrink.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 171.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #137  
Green Tomatoes

Just a quick check-in. *Whispers* Starting day 6 of a streak of 100% OP days.

WI: -0.35kgs, Exercise: +50 595/1400 minutes for August, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 206/199/155

Height: 5'3"

Just checking in on my lunch break and finding that today is much more of a struggle then yesterday was. I do not feel real hunger when I stop and think about it but the anxity is awful today. At least I am thinking and not just stuffing my mouth aimlessly. Credit. I did walk for my 15 min break today.CR. and I have read my cards twice today Cr. I didn't realize this was so much like an addiction. I will be strong.
Carol
Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #139  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Greetings. I made the new move to write out my meals for the day last night. It's on an index card so as to fit in my pocket and travel with me through the day. I switched everything so far for an OP equivalent but have written it down. Point

Walked our downtown skywalk for some extra exercise and lifted lots of 35 lb packages [48 to be exact] for an impromptu weight session.

Trying for a few personals today:

Bill--I once talked to a rare book seller and was embarrassed to admit I dipped into "Pop-Lit" occasionally. He smiled and said "We all have our favorite junk--mine is Ninja Thrillers" I felt better after that!

Iwantowin--I also wonder about why exactly I'm so concerned about my next meal. You'd think I could rely on the extra 16 pounds of fat I carry ---I means that's a spare 56,000 calories--I can tap in the event of an actual missed meal!

Newlifestyle--Dentists are on the top of my "Fear and Loathing" list. I suppose I may have watched Marathon Man at too young an age...

Jaye688--yep. My 6 yr old is the source of most of my "Spontaneous Exercise" a la Beck. Always count kids as Kudo Opportunities!

Gardenerjoy--6 days definitely constitutes a Streak--kudos! All my best to you as you see your friend and his family through this leavetaking.

Wishing everyone a long list of Kudos today!

spanky
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #140  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Cool This is the story of another Tuesday in August

Coaches

*credit* weighed in yesterday and today and had the same number appear: 250.7lbs
*credit* walked last night with DH for 30min in the rain and walked today for 45 min as I went to get kitty food this afternoon in the rain.

Still feeling worn out.
Still feeling overwhelmed.
Still have dishes to do.
Still have boxes to open,sort, and/or move.
Still have laundry to do.
Still have clothes to sort through.
Still have paintings to paint for Friday and for the weekend plus, I remembered yesterday, a special print to make for a couple I happened upon in Key West who reside in Tennessee. I was wandering taking pictures on my last day there, Feb. 29, and turned a corner to see a man in a light brown suit wearing brown flip flops. It was awesome.
And then I saw a woman in white satin wearing blue flip flops with a big blue flower on them.
I said "You two look like you are going to a wedding."
"Oh, we just got married about 10 minutes ago on the beach."
They were taking each other's picture so I offered to take them and asked if I could take one of them too, then said I may make a print of the picture and I may send it to them but they'd have to get in touch with me since I didn't know them and I gave them my card.
About a month or so ago I got an email from the guy and I said sure, I remembered, and yes, I was going to do that and when, ideally, would you want it? I recall a date mid-August. Could even be today. I am shying away from looking it up in my email. Anyway, yesterday I couldn't find the jpg I took of them and it took me hours of perusing my KW jpgs this afternoon, and finally I found it. Thank goodness cause about a month ago I had a memory stick in DH's computer and it sticks out at a weird angle and as I brushed past it my knee knocked it and the metal part stayed in the computer while the plastic part of it BROKE OFF! I have no idea what was on the stick. DH said "it's all just back up files right?" I said I thought so -- but days like today when I can't find an image I wonder if it wasn't on that stick... this time *phew* it wasn't.
And now, coaches, I have another piece of art to make.

Anyway, I'm lucky to have these first world problems. VERY lucky.

Have a good evening. Stay OP.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #141  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches,
Today was another op day. I don't feel as anxious as I was feeling. Food was good, exercise on plan. I went shopping with a friend and she wanted to go to a buffet. I was dreading it but I chose well and stayed within my calorie limit. Shopping was fun.

Bill - it is funny how going to the gym at a different time makes it seem like a new environment. I think I will have a tomato sandwich tomorrow. Will you be going anywhere on your vacation or will you just stay at home and relaxing?

onebyone – i hope that this overwhelming feeling passes soon. I find we are all so busy in life and we forget to take care of ourselves while we are buys taking care of the house and others. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about what I was going through, it really helped me a lot. I love hearing about your art work, you are so creative.

Elizabeth, thank you for your support and for your suggestions. I hope you are having a great day.

Debbie, thank you for suggesting that site to log my food, it is so easy, who knew...you did...lol

Joy – My thoughts are prayers are with you and your friend at this time. congratulations being OP 6 days.

Beverlyjoy – Thank you for your encouraging words. It is really neat how when people are typing about their own situation you can get so much out of it. I am inspired by "still struggling but not running away"

soonfit - Good luck with your crazy summer schedule. I like the routine September brings, although I am sad to see my son go back to school everyday.

Maryann- Happy Anniversary.

Nelia - Welcome back. It is nice to see you back here.

Rachel - Congratulations on your organizing, it sounds like you are doing well. It is so nice your son is going to school so close. Three hours away means you could meet him for lunch or he could come home for weekends.

spanky - Great job writing out your meal plan. Congratulations for walking the skywalk. Keeping you and Finnegan in my prayers.

Jaye - That is awesome getting exercise with the 2.5 year old. I find children make you see life in a different simple beautiful way.

Carol , I am sorry to hear today is more of a struggle for you. Congrats on walking, and reading your cards.

Tazzy - how are you? How is Dexter?

Waving to anyone I missed and have a wonderful night.
Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 08-14-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #142  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Hi Coaches,
Another good day OP, I increased my water intake by 1 bottle making it 6 bottles today *Credit* When I weighed myself this morning I had lost another 2 pounds *Credit* I saw my therapist today and we focused on Beck and read thru the survey and she gave some good advice and gave me a challenge to learn to eat mindfully, she wants me to set my timer for 5 minutes and as I eat something take the whole 5 minutes concentrating on what it is I am eating, the taste, how it feels in my mouth, making sure I chew it well etc. I went for a 20 minute bike ride *Credit* I walked the stairs 4 times today. I did not go off program at all today, I refused to give in to the cravings for sugar/candy *Credit* I am on day 3 without soda *Credit*
Bill: Going to the gym at a different time is a great idea because it helps change things up a bit, so good for you!
OnebyOne: I am sorry you are struggling with feeling overwhelmed, I sometimes feel that way also, keep up the creativity it can be a very therapeutic release
Elizabeth: You share the same name as my niece whom I have never met because her family lives in another state on the opposite side of the country, so I smile whenever I see your name come up and I want to thank you for that.
Spanky: I am glad that you have figured out a way to write out your food plan which helps to control the binges and going OP Kudos to you!

Waving and sending hellos to everyone that I missed, this is my first attempt at doing personals so please bear with me.

Jaye
Old 08-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #143  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was only OK, but CREDIT moi for that much. My immediate daily food plan is to measure all the perishable food and divide by the number of days before we leave. It is beyond my brain to consider leaving blueberries or peaches unconsumed. Bread stuff can go in the freezer for the two weeks. We've assigned various friends/kids to harvest our tomatoes while we're gone. I'm still wrestling with that part of the brain that thinks that nibbling will make choosing/buying clothes for my vacation easier. I did buy the socks that I needed, CREDIT moi. Still need a waterproof hat. DW thinks my current outdoor hat is funky and old. Apparently, that's a problem.

Exercise was walking (CREDIT moi) to go shopping. Stores are full of Back-to-School displays. Watched a toddler playing in the kiddie fountain in the park - sorta amazing that kids just figure out how to play in water without taking a course or reading the manual.

onebyone – Neat story of the Key West couple getting married in flip flops. Congrats for finding their picture. And Congrats that the 250 number remains real. Might I assume that your kitty appreciates that you walked 45 minutes in the rain for her?

Joy (gardenerjoy)*Whispers* Kudos for streaking.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - On plan through a buffet is a big deal - Kudos. [We're off on a rafting trip so there will be excitement and exercise and camping style meals.]

spanky - 1680 pounds is one fine bit of extraneous exercise.

Jaye (Jaye68) - Congrats on another 2 pounds, with Kudos for hitting the bottle. It's so neat that you have a therapist who's supportive of your Beck journey.

Carol (Iwanttowin) - Yep, anxiety sure calls to be fed. Kudos for seeing it for what it is and staying your path with a walk on your break even.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Experiments to Vary the Think Thin Eating Plan

experiment 5
Add snack calories to the next meal.
You can plan in advance to skip a snack and use the snack calories (not necessarily a snack from the Snack Options) to add any kind of food with the same number of calories to your next meal. This means you can have an extra side dish, a larger portion, or additional ingredients in your dishes. Maybe you would like to have a dinner roll, eat extra steak, or put a special sauce on your vegetables without using your Bonus Calories. Of course, this means that you will have to calculate in advance how much of the extra food you can have. If you would like to continue doing this, write in your Diet Notebook, "Add snack calories to the next meal as often as desired if food is healthful; up to once a week if food is not particularly healthful."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 172.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #144  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

My new routine includes getting dressed first thing in the morning, so I weighed and then was work ready before coffee. That should free up more "time for dieting", which for me is an ongoing process of working my "Think Thing Lifetime Eating Plan". Since DH and I are leaning towards Vegan, I tried a cookie recipe I found in the newspaper and had been holding onto. Cookies were tasty, but didn't have the right consistency. I put the unbaked dough in a bag to pitch in the trash at work. credit. I hope to return later but time is running out and it's close to smoothie/exit time.

BBE, what river are you rafting?

Jaye, where are you in Alaska? I lived in Homer for 23 years.

Credit to all of us for persistance!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #145  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't keep my 100%OP streak going -- but 80% on Tuesday is pretty good for me. Especially a Tuesday that includes an ice cream social. I had one small dish -- exactly what I wrote on my plan. But timing and tension messed me up earlier in the day.

Today's challenge is that I've run out of vegetables to easily fix at lunch. I had this problem last year. I hate to buy lettuce July through September -- it won't grow locally when it's hot and there is such an abundance of local produce. But my normal lunch is so dependent on a big salad that I sometimes have a situation where the abundant season results in lower vegetable consumption.

I'll figure out something -- there are green peppers in the garden. DH prefers them red, so I was waiting for them to ripen, but I can steal some green ones. I'll pick up the CSA box in the afternoon and will feel rich in veggies again for a few days.

WI: -0.1kgs, Exercise: +0 595/1400 minutes for August, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #146  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Lexxie/Debbie,
I am in Fairbanks, I have lived here for 21 years and really like it, I have yet to make it to Homer, I have friends that live down there but at the moment I am not working and I don't have a vehicle of my own so my traveling is limited.
Scale tells me I am 268 pounds this morning
Jaye
Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #147  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Another OP day going on here. Point! I had another spontaneous walk in the skywalk to the optometrist [the walk connects all over the city at second floor level so it's a good place to get errands done]. Point!

My Plan Card and I are in agreement so far, but I am doing battle with a half of an ice cream sandwich that my son left in the freezer last night. The minute I knew it was there--unguarded--it began to bore it's way into my brain. So far bravely fending off the irrational thoughts "It's only half, it's a leftover!" "I can afford the carbs!" "He's forgotten it's there!", and-- the kicker-- "But sugar is BAD for Kids!!!" If I can just make it until it's dessert time, I can escape it by feeding it to it's rightful owner!

onebyone- I think a long walk is a great way for you to "reset" your brain when you're feeling overwhelmed. Nice choice!

BillBE -If your tomato crop is going great guns like ours, you might need to tell the neighbor to offload some at the local farmers' market while you're gone. But you can send your uneaten blueberries my way!

Lexiss - I'm finding I use that time before the rest of the house gets up to "calibrate" my mindset toward the fact that yes, today, I'm still on a diet!

newlifestyle -MEGA kudos for weathering a buffet lunch!!!

Jaye68 -You're inspiring me to consider making the switch from Crystal Lite to actual, bare naked water!

Gardenerjoy - How 'bout a plate of raw veggies and a bowl of 'legal' dip in place of a lettuce-based salad? That's what I served my son when he was too small to handle a salad without turning it into an art project...

So--kudos to all for showing up today!

spanky
Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone,

I feel like I've been missing in action here. 7 days since my last post and about 5 days of reading your posts to catch up on. Weight is still the same, reading my ARC twice daily, am now on Day 3 of the pink book. At this rate of 7 days for each step that 42 steps is gonna take awhile.

Busy at work now with the upcoming Christmas season (I know it's a long ways away still but with my job it's like Christmas everyday and by time it's here I really don't care anymore). Puppy stuff is moving along, up 5 times last night with Dexter, seems to think he's a night owl now. Need to change that tonight, although he seems to sleep better when it's DH's night to get up with him. I must be more of a softy and the dog already knows that.

Hoping to find some time to read the postings and catch up with all of you.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 206/199/155

Good evening Coaches,
Well today was a little better then yesterday, and the anxity that I might starve to death before my next meal is not as strong as it was. The scale is down 2 lbs. this morning CR. and I did walk again today CR I kind of wish that I had taken some time off work when I started this because it is really a lot of work. I am doing everything so far but the written out meal plan. I am having a hard time with that, but I am following a moderate diet plan (no pig outs, just not measuring and weighing every bite just yet)
I did buy some colored index cards today so that I can write me responce cards by catagory CR and a cute little holder for them. Thank goodness for back to school time or I wouldn't have found that. LOL
I know that I have only been working on this for about a week but I can already see changes in the way I think about food CR and I am feeling much better about that. I am trying to get everything done in stage 1 but I think that if I try and do every last experiment I will be to old to remember why i started this.LOL
BillBE I am taking your advice and I am not going to personalize and messages just yet I already have enough on my plate LOL (who would have ever thought I would have enough on a plate) but I do really enjoy the feedback from everyone. It will just take me a while to work the bugs out of my plan.
Well thanks for listening and I will talk to you all tomorrow.
Carol
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #150  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... I am back from my one day trip. I had a good time and fun programs. I ate pretty healthfully. Always grateful for that.

Now, time to get ready to go East. I've picked out a guideline for my eating.

I will check in often, if I can.

Take care.
Closed Thread