Old 02-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

Bigdog, congrats on the six pounds! Sorry I can't help you, I'm not a fan of bars or shakes. Too much throwback to Slimfast days.

Nancy, I think I only buy my jeans off the clearance rack too. lol Women's sizing is all over the place. I've pulled out my smaller jeans, I have everything from a 10 to a 15. How do your new pants compare to the older ones.

After dealing with a snow/ice storm all day yesterday. I am officially tired of winter.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #47  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Well just an update....I tried the jeans on and they do fit snugly and I have some serious muffin top but I am going to return them they are cut too low for me. But at least I now know I will be able to fit into them comfortably in the next 10lbs loss. WI I was up a bit this am from yesterday went from 162.2 to 162.8 that could be the wine so I will really push the water today.
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 149/139/135

Height: 5' 3"

Something else I realized recently. As a sugarholic and not much of a fruit or veggie lover, I would need to add some kind of sweetness to fruit like strawberries and blueberries. I bit into an organic baby carrot the other day and it was so sweet tasting, it was almost like candy! Noticed the same thing with blueberries. I've been off sugar for 3 weeks now and it's a shame how sugar dampens your taste buds.

Nancy - I tried your pancake recipe and it was great - much better than the one I tried using the same things plus protein powder. Also, the recipe I posted prior for the strawberry jam "syrup" is as follows (I wasn't sure when I posted it before):
1/2 cup of sugar free preserves/jam
1/2 cup water (could do 1/4 cup of each if you don't want to make too much)
Use a whisk to mix the jam into the water - bring it to boiling. Best to let it cool down a little before transferring to a jar and it will gel up a bit when it cools. I just put it in the microwave to warm up before pouring it out of the jar.

I'm still fighting that 1 lb. You are extremely patient. I'd have to change things up if I was stalled as long as you are. My shake up will probably occur next week when I'm on vacation. Not sure I'll track as well as I am here at home, but I do figure I'll stay on plan. Plus, I'll be up to 40 daily grams. I refuse to stick under that amount long-term. If anything, I'll keep the 40 grams and do The Rotation Diet or go back to the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet and see if the scale moves again.

My issue is that last October I was down to 140 lbs. using The Rotation Diet - no carb counting - just calories. I don't remember being stuck without losing anything for more than a week. I'll give it more time, especially with my upcoming trip. I've noticed that sometimes when I go off plan I actually start losing again, although I love not being hungry on LC, so I'm planning on sticking with it.

Neko - I forgot to tell you I put 1 tablespoon organic butter in my bulletproof coffee, sometimes switch it up with 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream.

Hi bigdog - Congrats on the 6 lbs. I love those taffies - have been off sugar for 3 weeks and feel really good about it. I swear that's one of the reasons my left knee isn't hurting me after almost a year of pain. Lack of sugar and more good oils.

Most of the protein bars I've had are not low in carbs. Check out Atkins boxed bars and food. I tried their newest bars and thought they tasted like cardboard - the mocha ones. Still edible enough if I'm on the go, but would almost rather have one of the shakes - they taste pretty good. I also use Slimfast and EAS shakes - but only when I'm on the go and don't have time for anything else. I'd prefer to chew my calories/carbs, but sometimes I'll bring a shake just so my stomach isn't growling while I'm with clients (I'm a real estate agent). So far, the last few times I've brought shakes with I haven't needed them.

Last edited by judyo; 02-13-2017 at 05:07 PM.
judyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #49  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Nancy,
I'm on a Low carb, no white foods and the Doc recommends 20-30 carbs a day. He said to aim for under 20 carbs if doable. I was so desperate for a crunchy chocolate treat yesterday so I took my special dark cocoa, added PB2 w premium chocolate, water, vanilla extract and Stevia, then threw in a handful of natural almonds in the mix-added sea salt- chilled in frig...it was ok
I've had the Atkins candy choc almonds before but they are dangerous for me- too yummy!
I don't understand the net carbs vs carbs. I like the SF jello w whip cream, Tropicana SF popcicles and Outshine Fruit pops but looking for low carb SF chocolate fix 👅
I've done Atkins before and really liked the recipes and food choices so hopped on this forum.
I tried the Birds Eye Italian Cheese Cauliflower rice- really good w chicken or flank steak.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #50  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

Justo and Neko-
Definitely know you mean about food tastes too sweet when you have cut out sugar. Not sure why so much sugar is added- especially to things like salad dressings and sauces. I'll have to check Diet Direct. They used to have these SF little chocolate bars that were less than 5 carbs, 35 cal and taste like turtles.
I don't plan on eating them all the time- just to keep in my glove compartment in case I'm too slammed to grab lunch or just want a taste of chocolate
It's funny that if I have them available, I won't eat them but it's kind of like a security blanket like they are there IF I absolutely need a fix. Lol!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #51  

bigdog, what about some of the Atkins candy items. I nearly bought some last time I was shopping. They had chocolate covered peanuts. I had a sample once, swear they tasted like peanut m&ms. There were other chocolate choices. Hershey's makes sugar free chocolates and peanut butter cups, not sure of the carb count. I do eat the SF jello and SF whipped cream almost daily right now. I really want to cut down on artificial sweeteners a bit. But I'm not quite ready to give up all sweet tasting things.

Judy, my morning coffee has half and half and splenda. Although it's not exactly bullet proof coffee, it's the only breakfast I eat. How does coffee with butter taste? I'd love to give up the few carbs in my half and half.

Nancy, jeans that are too low cut are a deal breaker for me too. It's not comfortable to have jeans you need to pull up all day long.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #52  
Work in Progress

Well it has been a good day for me, I have really pushed the water since I was up a bit this am. So far my carb count is hovering around 8 today but I plan to have my chocolate protein shake in a bit which will up it 2 more which is ok.

Judyo, you mention being a sugar addict, I was never a big sugar fan UNTIL I started doing Atkins...go figure and now I crave chocolate sometimes like nobodys business ...go figure

bigdog, carbs vs net carbs are pretty simple. Carbs - pretty straight forward, net carbs, your carbs minus fiber = net. I will also subtract for ethonol sugar but not reg sugars

Neko do you drink that coffee hot or cold?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #53  

Most days I drink hot coffee from 7-11. It's not worth brewing coffee just for me. Once I figure in two k-cups, cream and splenda, I might as well drink coffee out. Today I treated myself to a trenta iced coffee from Starbucks with cream and SF Vanilla syrup. I only occasionally get iced coffee which is always more expensive than hot coffee. But I figured it's Valentine's Day; I should have a treat.

Making a prime rib for dinner tonight. mmmm
Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #54  
Work in Progress

So I took those jeans back and turned around and bought another brand $10.00 more. Still have not tried them on but will in the am.

I have got this awful cough from sinus drainage that keeps me up all night. I took a cold pill this am and by 2:30 at work I came home for a nap. Still groggy but will hang in there.

B: mock pancakes with 4 brown & serve sausage
L large salad with olive garden light dressing
D 7.5 oz of cod and home made tarter sauce
Snack 1 1.5 atkins chocolate peanutbutter bar
Snack 2 chocolate protein shake
calories 1133, carbs 12.8, protein 101, fat 70

So was a good day even though I gained this am
Old 02-15-2017, 01:17 AM   #55  

I have a new "dessert" I've been having every day (except today since I was out watching my husband's Tuesday night gig with other band wives and friends).

Mock Danish 2

Ingredients:
3 ounces cream cheese (I've been using my Ricotta cheese to use it up since I'm going out of town this coming Saturday but will try with cream cheese when I get back)
1 egg
2 tablespoons splenda — or sugar free davinci syrup, any flavor (I use the tiny spoon from powdered Stevia)
How to Prepare:
Any desired flavorings (cinnamon, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, lemon juice, etc. A good combination is 1 tsp of lemon juice and 1tsp vanilla). I've been using vanilla and cinnamon.
Microwave cream cheese to soften, then mix all ingredients with a mixer until smooth (I've used a fork but ricotta isn't as stiff as cream cheese). Microwave mixture until firm at the outside and soft/runny in the middle. I've had to zap it for up to 2-2 1/2 minutes at 60% power. For some reason I can't get a higher power except for 100%. Might go quicker with cream cheese.
I've stirred in blueberries and cherries before I microwave it. Carbs would just be for the cheese and if you add any fruit.

bigdog - I found Ghirardelli Dark 60% Cacao Chocolate Squares and one square is only 5 net carbs - has regular sugar which I'd rather have than sucralose or aspertame. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Really helps when I want chocolate. I mentioned before that I have Atkins Raspberry chocolate bars and they seem to upset my stomach with the sugar-free sweeteners used - sure taste good though!

Neko - I have some of the other Atkins treats but I think they're kind of high in net carbs. I'll have to check. When I did lowcarb before I stopped using sweetener in my coffee or tea - I used to be one of those people who had a little coffee with their sugar. Never went back to sweeteners in them. I want to try Bulletproof Tea - just tea with 1-2 tablespoons butter blended in. I had the coffee today with 1 tablespoon of organic butter and it held me over until early afternoon. Yesterday I had a piece of paleo "banana bread" (more like banana cake) for breakfast and I was hungry all day. In fact, I feel better having coffee with butter or cream (couldn't find organic heavy whipping cream so have used 1/2 & 1/2 this past week). If I want eggs or lc "pancakes" I'll usually have that for lunch.

I've never liked low-cut jeans. After my radical hysterectomy back in 2011 I started wearing granny pants (much more comfortable and no panty lines) & they'd stick out the top. Sometimes they still stick out even with regular pants so I always make sure my tops are pulled down. Easier with today's longer tops.

Nancy - It's weird that now you're more into sugar than before Atkins. I've done many different diets and actually got the thinnest doing Weight Watchers about 10 years ago (along with a lot of exercise). But Atkins is the first diet I've done where I can walk past my bags of my favorite candies and not want any. I do like having something sweet like lc chocolate or the lc desserts I've been making. My favorite candies are Necco wafers, Swedish Fish, Jelly Belly, Hot Tamales, etc. - pure sugar. I would fight on other diets to have some of my candy without going into the sweet & salty binge cycle. That's completely gone on Atkins. So even though I'm still fighting that pound up and down, I feel great without needing chips or candy. Hope you're feeling better!

Last edited by judyo; 02-15-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #56  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylmrn View Post
calories 1133, carbs 12.8, protein 101, fat 70
Since I made prime rib yesterday I was at 1759 calories 20.1 net carbs, 82.8 protein and 148.3 fat.

Judy, that mock danish recipe sounds good. I have some cream cheese in my fridge I'm not sure what to do with. Not sure if I can re-learn to drink my coffee with no sweetener though. Although that is something to work on in the future. It annoys me to waste almost 2 net carbs on 2 packs of Splenda.

I find that when I eat breakfast I'm hungrier too. The day it snowed last week and ate the bacon and eggs, I was starving all day. You would think that would be filling and I wouldn't be hungry all day.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #57  

I had a drink last night for my husband's Valentine's gig at a local restaurant. He plays every Tuesday night with his acoustic trio. I rarely go but figured I should for Valentine's Day. So I looked at their drink menu at home from their website and saw a foo foo martini I wanted to try. I created a recipe for it in MyFitnessPal and figured one martini was 18 carbs. Stayed good all day (I'm up to 35 a day). When I got there they had an extra martini list so I ordered a Strawberry Chocolate martini and it had less ingredients in it than the one I had planned to have. So I'm sure it was the same or less carbs and it was good.

Neko - there are days when I can have bacon and eggs for breakfast and I'm OK, even when I had the LC pancakes I was OK. Not sure why I was so hungry after having one small slice of Paleo banana bread - maybe it was because it was such a small amount without any other protein. Normally, when I eat something sweet I try to eat something else with it that has protein - like a cheese stick. Or I could have had some bacon or an egg with that paleo bread.

Do you not like Stevia? I use that when I need sweetener. Some people don't like the aftertaste but I think that only happens when you use too much. It's a learning process. What I was trying before I started Atkins was adding my Atkins or Slimfast shakes to my coffee instead of cream - they both have a mocha flavor. It was good but I just don't like using the shakes on a daily basis, plus I'm still not used to sweet coffee any longer.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #58  

I don't like the aftertaste of Stevia. I find that Sucralose doesn't make my coffee taste weird. I am trying some Dannon Triple Zero yogurt. I don't mind the Stevia in there.

How was the martini?
Old 02-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #59  
Work in Progress

Just a mid day check in with you ladies. Judyo I did try a very similar recipe last night and it used vannila whey powder and a bit of baking powder. it was soooo good but I think I will try your version next. Mine was on the dense side but still very tasty

WI this am up a few ounces....I am tired of the ouncy bouncy game
Old 02-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #60  

Nancy, I hope your weight settles for you and stops bouncing. Maybe you'll have a good weight in this weekend.

Another cold Friday here in New Jersey. I can't wait for winter to get over. I want to be outside enjoying the sunshine.