Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

I'll let you guys know if I get bold enough to try to Xantham gum.

Judy, Mexican food is rough, but I'm sure you can fit in a little rice, beans, tortillas. 45 grams gives you a little leeway if you stay lower carb the rest of the day. Are you counting net or total?

Snow day here. Probably have about 6 inches and it's still snowing. Just made some bacon and eggs for me and the kids. mmmmm
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #32  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Good morning all!
no change in weight, sheesh I am almost resigned to never getting off this plateau but I know it will drop. Last night had a pity party and drank wine but even with counting what I drank my carbs for the day were 22 and calories 1368...

I will check in later running late for work
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 149/139/135

Height: 5' 3"

OK, here's another recipe for a breakfast change with a little sweetness - Low Carb Strawberry Crepes

The crepes are really just a thinner version of omelette mixture made like a crepe. As with any crepe or pancake mix, the first one might not turn out the best - my first one stuck but still worked. I bought Smuckers Sugar Free Strawberry Jam. Hate using anything with Sucralose and will be searching for a jam made with Stevia - will check out Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. This is 5 net carbs for the whole thing. I ate 1/2 one day and the rest another day. Kept the "crepe" mix in the fridge. I used full fat cottage cheese - not sure what the carb difference would be for ricotta.

I had to order another Carbohydrate Addict's Diet (CAD) book (the original one) because I lent it out years ago and never got it back - don't even remember who I lent it to. It's an old book so cheap on Amazon. It had a recipe using sugar free jam by adding some water to it to thin it out and make it more like a syrup. I tried it this morning but not sure about the water to jam ratio, but still got the strawberry flavor and I'm sure it cut the carbs even more, although they're not high to begin with.

Neko - I don't care for Mexican rice so that's one less carb worry. I always count net carbs. We're going with a non-drinking couple so I guess it will help me keep away from margaritas, although most places offer skinny margaritas. I'll have to look into those. I don't drink much to begin with and I can deal with not having any alcohol - went over 2 years without when I was on CAD and went another 2 years without drinking when I was diagnosed with cervical cancer back in 2011 - am a 6 year survivor.

Nancy - I got back down to 142 this morning. Very frustrating when you're on plan and nothing is happening. I've only been struggling with this pound on and off for a week, would be tough going longer. I'm still not getting even 1200 calories in most days and I have to really concentrate on getting my liquids in.

Last edited by judyo; 02-09-2017 at 08:48 PM.
judyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #34  
Work in Progress

Hmm I will have to try the recipe for the crepes, although I am not a fan of cottage cheese so would use ricotta...guess I need to do some shopping LOL I have not heard of the CAD book but will look for it on amazon what does it have it in? I love reading more about low carb etc. I also have been reading up on fasting and the health benefits with that too.

Have any of you tried this?
Old 02-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #35  

Judy, I lent out my South Beach diet book years ago. Never got it back either. Good thing you don't like rice, the beans are easy to work in since they have fiber. I count net carbs too, but I hear some people count total carbs. The only thing I count off is fiber.

Nancy, I haven't done any fasting yet. But I've been hearing a bit about Jung Style fasting on another forum. There is also a one meal a day thread on here, I think in the general diets. My only concern is would you be super hungry the next day and over eat or be tempted to?

Only got 10 inches of snow. Got some exercise shoveling my long driveway. I rarely eat breakfast, coffee only. However eating bacon and eggs yesterday morning set me up for being hungry all day. No more brunch for me.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #36  

I bought some ricotta cheese yesterday to try some LC recipes using it. This morning I made LC pancakes but won't share the recipe because they were kind of tough, but I used egg protein powder instead of whey, as was suggested. Not sure it would have made much of a difference.

The strawberry jam "syrup" I made yesterday turned out great so I think I had the correct ratios, although you could water it down even more if desired. I took 1/4 cup of sugar free strawberry jam (Smuckers) and mixed it with 1/4 cup of water - oh shoot, maybe I increased it to 1/2 cup - see how it works for you. Let it boil and at first it's watery, but usable. When it cools down it thickens up. Keep it in a small jar or bowl where you can microwave it if you'd like to have a warm syrup.

Nancy - There are several different CAD books out there. The oldest one was less stringent than the follow-ups. Although the old way worked perfectly for me, I have a feeling it didn't for many, so they got more strict with the Reward Meal in their newer books. Fasting would be a last ditch effort for me - I just don't feel like doing it. I know I have in the past and although I think I felt OK (wasn't long term), I didn't feel positive enough to continue.

Neko - Only 10 inches? LOL! I don't remember the last time I shoveled. I think when I tried my back hurt too much. I actually like rice but can do without it. I've never had a Spanish rice that I liked enough to waste carbs or calories on. I used to be starving in the morning and always had to have breakfast immediately. Tried Bulletproof Coffee and noticed how it took me through to lunch without hunger. I started switching it up with heavy whipping cream and that coffee is what made me decide to try Atkins. I'm not going to have breakfast every morning but I was doing it lately just to get more calories in my day. I was just under 1200 calories yesterday. I have also experienced more hunger when having a large breakfast, but lately it hasn't done that to me.

Last edited by judyo; 02-10-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:52 PM   #37  
Work in Progress

Neko I still have my south beach book and a phase 1 low carb recipes by better homes. I think I will make a pass through it in the next few days just cause......went way over caloreis and carbs tonight and every bite was worth it. 2,000 calories and 30 carbs yikes....back in the am
Old 02-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #38  

Judy, yes only 10 inches. lol We've actually been light on the snow here in NJ this year. So far this is the only major storm.
What do you put in your bullet proof coffee?

Nancy, I liked the South Beach diet, but once I added back in anything but fruit, I stopped losing. I miss owning my book though. lol How low are you keeping your carbs? I thought 30 was ok.

I almost bought three Atkins candy treats when grocery shopping yesterday. I resisted, I'm pretty sure adding sugar free candy to my diet won't be a good idea. I did buy some Greek yogurt.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #39  
Work in Progress

Good morning girls I have got to share

judyo you mentioned pancakes and that started it all. this morning I tried this recipe http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012...-pancakes.html

and OMG it was good. Next time I am going to add a bit more cinnamon and I only put two packets of splenda but I ate them as soon as they came out of the pan. No syrup needed, my DH said they looked like pancakes but tasted too much of egg, to me they were delish This is a keeper for me

Neko I keep my carbs at 20 per day and usually I only eat 10-12. I have not had bread, rice, pasta since mid Oct last year. Except for last nights coating on the buffalo wings I ate...I am sure it was some type of flour. Ok I am off to find some more breakfast recipes LOL
Old 02-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #40  

Do you ever have mornings where you feel "heavy" or "light"? I felt light this morning, drank lots of liquids last night, ate on plan & figured that maybe I could get to 141. Nope! Back up to 143. I think I remember having whooshes on days when I felt "heavy" so I guess what I'm feeling is off.

Got my Carbohydrate Addict's Diet book already from Amazon. It was a hardcover - I was expecting a paperback. Nice! Was cheaper than the paperback I had years ago and in good condition.

Nancy - I started on 35 carbs yesterday although I didn't have all of them. Maybe that's why I didn't lose. I just don't want to be stuck on too low an amount. Doesn't mean I'll eat them all every day, but knowing I can for special occasions and still be on plan helps.

I'm definitely going to try that pancake recipe but I only have chive cream cheese so I'm going to use ricotta instead. I've made similar pancakes and I have noticed that when adding protein powder they get tough. I think this recipe will be good - I don't mind if they're eggy.

Neko - I recently bought the Atkins Dark Chocolate Raspberry Squares. Very tasty but I swear I've had slight stomach upsets since eating them. Don't think I'll buy them again. I've been eating Atkins Peanut Caramel Cluster Bars for a long time - before I ever thought of trying the Atkins eating plan. They don't upset my stomach.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #41  
Work in Progress

Well today after all our errands the last stop was the grocery store where I picked up some sugar free red raspberry preserves. 2 carbs per serving, and a container of ricotta cheese. Me and those pancakes or if I make them thin enough crepes in the morning have a date I am going to try to use only 1 egg and the rest liquid egg whites to boost the protein yet keep the calorie count down.

I will check back in tomorrow morning
Old 02-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #42  

Those pancakes/crepes sound good. I might have to go shopping again. However not today. It is snowing again.

I made wings the other night by baking them and making buffalo sauce. It's not the same as coated fried wings out. My husband and son seemed to love them and barely left me any.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #43  
Work in Progress

Ok gals I made a double batch of my 'pancakes' 2 whole eggs, 6 egg whites, 4 oz cream cheese, cinnamon and stevia. They turned out marvelous I cooked them all up it actually made 6.5 large pancakes so I wrapped 4 in foil and will reheat in a toaster oven tomorrow. I think if I put them in the microwave they would get rubbery. I made some syrup with the sugar free jelly. I did not care for ricotta and they 'syrup' together so I will have to find another use for the ricotta over the next few days. Maybe put it in the batter in place of cream cheese.

WI this am I was actually down a bit and I am going to take it, it has been weeks since my scale has moved....I mean really weeks!
Old 02-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #44  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

Default Hello everyone!

Here I go again 😳 Started a low carb plan this past Tuesday and am down 6 pounds- YAY! I know most of that is water weight but a loss is a loss to me and glad that I'm getting started toward my goal.
I am always looking for new ideas especially regarding food, snacks and low-carb desserts.
I already have more energy cutting out the sugar and feel back in control.
Reading labels and tracking on MFP.
Wow didn't realize before how many carbs those little innocent bite-size taffy candies were. YIKES!
What are some of your favorite protein bars that are low-carb and high-protein ?
TIA 😀
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #45  
Work in Progress

Ok good evening my low carb peeps

Today I have been op...well except for the 2nd glass of wine I am enjoying now but I am within my carb limit, so far 11.9 carbs for the day and 1093 calories, 77 protein, and 52 fat.

I was at Wally world tonight picking up some salad dressing for my lunch tomorrow and was walking past a display of jeans $9.00 so I grabbed a pair a size smaller than what I started on this journey. I don't know about any of you but I have ... at least 8 pairs of jeans all the same size and all different when you hold them up together. so I am on the smaller of that size now but I am not sure I am brave enough to try the new pair on yet. I don't want to be disappointed that they are still way too small (you know that whole size difference with brand) or they fit but are so snug that I feel defeated.

I know a whinny baby tonight LOL I am grasping for a small victory somewhere

Bigdog, as far as snacks goes it really is going to depend on what you have chosen...I am doing atkins 20 so 20 carbs or less per day and I am able to do this pretty easy now, I have been doing it since October at the induction phase. But I have noticed I crave chocolate now...something I never had to deal with before so I eat 1 or 1/2 kirkland brand chocolate chip protein bar. 4 net carbs and 190 calories or I make a 'chocolate shake' made with six star chocolate protein powder. I then add a tablespoon of cocoa powder and some ice cubes to make it thick. If it is not sweet I crave I will go grab a little summer sausage or some swiss cheese to get that salt monster off my back